Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 09-05-2017, 8:57 AM

Default Hk Usp 10mm barrels

Anyone interested? A vendor on hk pro is going to produce barrels

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=389817

Quote:
Originally Posted by chune View Post
Just had a good talk with Mike and confirmed he will be running a batch of 10mm USP barrels in the next 6-8 weeks here. He needs a headcount of who is in for sure. He can make both styles of barrel (.40 profile and .45 profile), just put a note next to your name denoting which style you want. Price is going to be $300-$350 ea. depending on how many takers we have. No money is needed to reserve your place in line but please honor your word. See the list below of the current 10mm conversion routes.

10mm Conversion Method 1 (Thanks lifesizepotato!):

The proven route here is a full .40 gun converted to 10mm using custom STI mags (see here: http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgu...-usp-10mm.html). The downside of this conversion is:
1) You can't eject an unfired 10mm round through the ejection port. You can drop the mag and let the round fall out or you can widen the ejection port which requires refinishing of the slide (unless its stainless).
2) You can't use HK mags
3) You need to dremel the STI mags
4) You loose last round hold open.
5) You loose the stock look because the STI mag do not mate flush with the gun.
If you are doing this conversion you would want the .40 profile barrel.

10mm Conversion Method 2 (Thanks scubadds!):

Another newer method has surfaced that uses a .40 slide on a .45 frame (see here: http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgu...-underway.html). The advantage to this method is that you can use stock .45 mags with slightly bent feed lips and you retain last round hold open. The other big advantage is you still have a stock looking gun as far as mag fit goes. The downsides of this conversion are:
1) You can't eject an unfired 10mm round through the ejection port. You can drop the mag and let the round fall out or you can widen the ejection port which requires refinishing of the slide (unless its stainless).
2) The requirement for a post-KE .40 slide and a .45 frame (essentially buying two guns to make one).
3) The .40 slide does not fully cover the end of the .45 frame. You end up with a slightly goofy looking recessed slide that can be easily solved by sanding/trimming the .45 frame. Given that the frame is the serialized portion and that some people will want to swap back to .45, this may not be desirable.
If you are doing this conversion you would want the .40 profile barrel.

10mm Conversion Method 3 **Experimental:
Given the revelations from conversion method #2, much interest has been generated in a 10mm barrel that would drop into a complete .45 gun. This would solve all of the downsides of methods #1 and #2 but it has never been done before, so it is very experimental. Possible issues here are extractor issues, firing pin alignment issues etc... I have not checked to see if a .40 extractor can be mounted in a .45 slide, so custom work may be required to get a functioning conversion. Mike also mentioned he can manufacture extractors as well but that would be a separate endeavor. I would not recommend this route unless you are happy to be a guinea pig and potentially waste $350.
If you are doing this conversion you would want the .45 profile barrel.

Last edited by johnwin84; 09-05-2017 at 2:04 PM..
Old 09-05-2017, 9:48 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I would've absolutely been interested, but it seems too much trouble due to:

1) Can't eject the unfired 10mm round through ejection port
2) Can't use HK mags & have to buy STI mags
3) Dremel the STI mags
4) Lose last round hold open
5) Mags wouldn't be flushed
Old 09-05-2017, 9:50 AM
✰ Sometimes I Fly Armed
CGN Contributor

Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 U.S. Code § 798

Woah - cool.

I've got a .40USP I never shoot anymore and a whole lotta 10mm

-------
Old 09-05-2017, 10:06 AM

I'm doing the. 40 route and buddy doing the. 45. You can find used usp .40 for about 500 on gb. I'll be into this project for under 1200.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2017, 12:02 AM
Calguns Addict

I only have 9MM ? WILL THIS WORK ?
Old 09-06-2017, 8:37 AM

Man I'd love to have a 10mm USP. Not sure if it's worth it though, I'd prefer the option 2 and at that point I might as well keep my glock 20 and buy a usp45.
Old 09-06-2017, 9:07 AM

Just finished this conversion recently using a police trade in in 40. I was successful in using HK mags and barrel. It shoots PPU with the stock recoil spring, but recommend a heavier recoil spring if you get into underwood or norma loads.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo_alpha01 View Post
Just finished this conversion recently using a police trade in in 40. I was successful in using HK mags and barrel. It shoots PPU with the stock recoil spring, but recommend a heavier recoil spring if you get into underwood or norma loads.
who reamed the barrel for you and how did you modify the mags? i would be interested in going this route instead.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saym14 View Post
I only have 9MM ? WILL THIS WORK ?
no. from my understanding...also the .40 compact wont work either.
Old 09-06-2017, 1:37 PM

dumb
Old 09-06-2017, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwin84 View Post
who reamed the barrel for you and how did you modify the mags? i would be interested in going this route instead.
Blue steel firearms in Suisun city did it for $80.

As far as mags it was a fluke -- I bought HK45 mags for my usp45c. The HK45 mags fit and hold 10mm since they are nearly the same length as 45acp. They fit in a full size USP, AND is ALL STEEL. Might even solve problems for using the HK45C extended magazine release with plastic magazines

The magazines ARE NOT drop free however, and the feed lips need to be tweaked a bit to feed correctly. I think with some sanding to enlarge the magazine well and some closing of the feed lips you could have a 100% all HK USP in 10mm.

If you want to try it for yourself I'm still tweaking with it. You're welcome to try it out if you want. Just buy ammo.

Last edited by Romeo_alpha01; 09-06-2017 at 4:11 PM..
Old 09-06-2017, 4:23 PM

Quote:

As far as mags it was a fluke -- I bought HK45 mags for my usp45c. The HK45 mags fit and hold 10mm since they are nearly the same length as 45acp. They fit in a full size USP, AND is ALL STEEL. Might even solve problems for using the HK45C extended magazine release with plastic magazines

The magazines ARE NOT drop free however, and the feed lips need to be tweaked a bit to feed correctly. I think with some sanding to enlarge the magazine well and some closing of the feed lips you could have a 100% all HK USP in 10mm.

If you want to try it for yourself I'm still tweaking with it. You're welcome to try it out if you want. Just buy ammo.
thanks for the info. ill be contacting blue steel firearms. i actually have some hk 45 mags so ill try it out as well. if all fail ill just buy the sti mag.
Old 09-06-2017, 4:28 PM

Quote:
thanks for the info. ill be contacting blue steel firearms. i actually have some hk 45 mags so ill try it out as well. if all fail ill just buy the sti mag.
If you call be sure to call after 11am. That's when he gets in. His secretaries may not know exactly what you're asking for.

If you have the elephant foot floorplates you will have to trim them to fit. The HK mags may interfere with the slide lock, but it consistently holds open on the last round. You could forego sanding the magwell if you don't care if it's drop free. Judging from my measurements you should sand on the sides of the magwell, and at the rear near the hammer spring. Whip out the micrometer and compare.
Old 09-06-2017, 9:01 PM

Quote:

Are you in CA? I would think using 45acp mags for 10mm will increase the capacity by one at least making it an 11 rounder.
Old 09-07-2017, 9:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantdance View Post
Are you in CA? I would think using 45acp mags for 10mm will increase the capacity by one at least making it an 11 rounder.
Any of the current magazine options for this conversion does force CA residents to use a mag block of some sort.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:15 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smak28 View Post

3) Dremel the STI mags
Yeah, but other than that it's no trouble at all!
Old 09-07-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:

3) Dremel the STI mags
1)How often does one have to clear a loaded round? If you do, remove the mag as usual, and push down on the round to drop it through the magwell. You could find a gunsmith to enlarge the ejection port, but doesn't seem worth the trouble

2) HK45 magazines work but are really snug. You can sand the magwell so it drops free like normal, and it doesn't require much sanding within the magwell.

3) See number 2. STI mags are expensive and it still sticks out. HK45 mags are common enough, and with the elephant foot, could be trimmed for flush fitment.

4) HK45 mags does have last round hold open. Depending on the year of your weapon you may need to file off and bend a little bit on the feed lips so it doesn't slam too hard on the slide release.

5)See number 3.

Once you shoot the USP in 10mm it's range crack. Super fun gun, ALL HK components with little work, and something that can be had for little money, with a platform that's legendary in reliability.
Old 12-10-2017, 5:28 PM
Calguns Addict

sorry to necro post but this looks like its still moving foward.
I for one would love to have a 10mm barrel for the .45 if thats possible.

Never make yourself too available or useful...... Semper Fidelis

John Dickerson: What keeps you awake at night?
James Mattis: Nothing, I keep other people awake at night.

Old 12-10-2017, 5:36 PM

Yes, it seem to be happening still. Just post on the hk forum to reserve one.

Old 12-10-2017, 7:01 PM
Calguns Addict

I am torn if I want to get a .40 and do that conversion or be one of the guinea pigs and do the .45
I really think it will work with the .45 just like how it does for the glock 21 to 10mm conversion.

Old 12-10-2017, 7:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Just get a Les Baer
Old 12-11-2017, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaJames83 View Post
I am torn if I want to get a .40 and do that conversion or be one of the guinea pigs and do the .45
I really think it will work with the .45 just like how it does for the glock 21 to 10mm conversion.
im doing the .40 and my buddy is doing .45. The barrel, spring and mag are going to cost me more then what I paid for my usp. I like the proven route so went with 40. If the 45 works out it will look like a factor gun and alot more people would be interested in buying it.

Last edited by johnwin84; 12-11-2017 at 12:54 PM..
Old 12-11-2017, 6:29 PM
Calguns Addict

My wrists hurt just thinking about it.
Old 12-12-2017, 6:05 PM

Quote:

3) Dremel the STI mags

saw that....whats the point?

Why not just shoot .45 super in your USP without any modifications? I've seen a couple guys doing they for a backup big bear gun with hardcast loads.
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face", Mike Tyson
Old 12-12-2017, 7:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I for one would love to have a 10mm barrel for the .45 if that's possible.
Me too, but I don't want to pay for it. HK = $$$$$$$$$

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 12-13-2017, 2:47 AM

Update on my USP 10mm:

So I tested mine during a BLM shoot over the weekend and would like to notate a few things:

-hk45 full size mags do not drop free unless you remove 0.5mm from the front and back of the magwell
-hk45 locks the slide back on empty, and locks into the factory mag release (running HK45c mag release, so trimming the locking piece slightly may be of interest to some of you, mine is a KE date code)
-hk45 magazine feed lips need to be closed a little bit so the rounds don't nose up so much (I'm talking very small amounts, I tapped the opening closed by using a brass punch over the top of the opening and love tapping the gap closer. You may have to dremel a little bit of the rear feed lips to allow the rear to close up)
-if using aftermarket HK45 mags, understand they may actually be a little larger than factory mags (they don't drop free in my USP45 compact unlike the factory hk45 magazines)

My setup is as follows:
-Factory HK .40 barrel reamed to 10 ($80 labor)
-Clone HK45 magazines from keepshooting. ($9-14 per mag)
-HK45C mag release
-Wolff 18lb recoil spring

I've tested the following rounds from weakest to strongest
-PPU 180gr JHP
-SIG 180gr FMJ
-Federal Hydrashok 200gr JHP

Without modification to the recoil spring and mag you will more than likely experience malfunctions 50% of the time. The malfunctions become more apparent as the magazine begins to lose spring tension from going empty.

Shooting impressions: extremely manageable, much akin to shooting a USP45.

When I'm completely and confidently done fine tuning everything I'll post measurements and numbers for anywho interested in doing this.
Old 12-13-2017, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendare View Post
saw that....whats the point?

Why not just shoot .45 super in your USP without any modifications? I've seen a couple guys doing they for a backup big bear gun with hardcast loads.
I was actually thinking about buying a barrel for the Elite .45 and re-chambering for 460 Rowland. Port the part of the barrel that extends past the standard USP slide.
It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men.

― Ten Bears
Old 12-15-2017, 6:28 PM
Calguns Addict

I think im going to take the plunge on the 45 to 10mm conversion.
Even though I dont have a USP 45 yet a friend wants to sell me one for $650

Old 02-14-2018, 6:05 PM
Calguns Addict

took the plunge and waiting to see..

Old 06-16-2019, 1:29 PM

Got my barrel

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2019, 2:58 PM

Let us know how it shoots!
Old 06-16-2019, 3:00 PM

Quote:
I'm doing the. 40 route and buddy doing the. 45. You can find used usp .40 for about 500 on gb. I'll be into this project for under 1200.

$1200 to shoot 10mm? Hahahahahahaha. Thanks for that.
Old 06-16-2019, 3:13 PM
Calguns Addict

I was in for the 45 to 10mm conversion but things have been quiet for a long time now
Old 06-16-2019, 3:25 PM

Quote:
I was in for the 45 to 10mm conversion but things have been quiet for a long time now
You just have to email him, and the barrel was cheaper then the estimate price.

hkmp5@empowering.com

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 08-31-2020, 9:02 AM
Calguns Addict

So the 45 profile did not work and I am going to go for the 40 profile.

Anyone else get some shots downrange?

Old 08-31-2020, 9:41 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Have you considered .45 Super or just firing +p/+p+ ACP? For full size USP/Tacticals/Pro the spring assy is good. I unfortunately have a UPS 45 compact, so I haven't figured out spring weight that will work with velocities @ 1,200+ without beating up my frame. Best thing about the Super/+P+ is the pressure levels are lower vs 10MM or even .460 Rowland. Having a gun that is finicky with mags, FTF, FTE, etc, is not acceptable for anything but a range gun only.

Right now I'm working on a 45 ACP 200 grn LSWC hard cast that will be @ 1,050-1,100 that will work reliably in all standard 45 ACPs from Glocks, Kahrs, Colts, HK, etc

Palmetto State Armory Suppliers revealed

"If it ain't stock, it don't belong on your Glock"

Last edited by Munny$hot; 08-31-2020 at 9:49 AM..
Old 08-31-2020, 1:59 PM

Unfortunately it uses 126mm STI 40S&W magazines, which hold more than 10 rounds. Is there a good source of capacity limited CA legal 126mm mags?
Old 08-31-2020, 5:55 PM
Calguns Addict

It can also use HK45 mags which are 10 round mags....