Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 10-16-2008, 3:51 PM

Default Nevada BLM land...

Shooting on Nevada BLM Land.

I finally made the call to the Carson City BLM dept, to get firsthand info for shooting on Nevada BLM land. Here's the condensed version.

1. Do i need any kind of permit? No.

2. Where exactly can i shoot on BLM land, specifically off of hwy 50? In any safe direction away from roads. Good to have a backdrop, but not necessary. Stay away from Fallon Naval Airbase too.

3. Where can i park/camp a RV for a few days of shooting and do i need any kind of permit? Anywhere on BLM land for up to two weeks and no permit required.

4. What about high fire alerts and their restrictions? Alerts were lifted recently and there are no restrictions right now. In the summer months, be sure to check before you go, but fall/winter usually has none in the deserted areas.

5. How can i find a fun/safe place to go shooting fruits and veggies w/o being disturbed by or disturbing others? Off of hwy 50, east of Fallon, just look for any dirt or gravel road that goes off the main drag and follow it to any secluded area of your choosing. The further east/south the less likely you will even see or hear anybody else your entire time out there. You could spend 2 weeks out and probably never even see another person.

6. Any cell service out there? (already knew the answer after riding that road on my bike). Unlikely. There are a few towers here and there, but if you are in a valley, it's about 99.999% sure there will be no service. (On my own ride thru hwy 50, the only service i got was near the 3 major towns spread across the state of Nevada on hwy 50).

7. Any restrictions on the weapons i can bring and enjoy? Nope. As long as it is legal for you to have, you can use it.

8. How will the weather/snow be Nov-Feb? In the high desert areas it will be cold and maybe windy with nitetime temps in the teens and daytime temps in the forties to fifties (My kind of weather). Snow will be light if at all, except for the higher passes.

9. How do i know if i'm on someones property? Out there on hwy 50, it'll be rare that you are on someones property as the rare ranch out there will have signs posted and/or fencing to make it clear where you are.

Readers of Calguns: This was told to me directly from the Nevada BLM office in Carson City. Reason i'm posting this is to educate people who want to enjoy a place to shoot in the open, unencumbered the way we are here in most of Kalif. It is not the gospel and i don't have anything in writing from them, just their word over the phone, which works for me. It would be wise to use common sense though in all matters above, especially on any BLM land near populated areas, i.e. just because its BLM land 2 miles from a town, don't think you can go hog wild with the shooting of guns. Take it to a more isolated area, just to be safe. I'm already planning a trip during November and going it alone to get a feel for it all. Renting an RV with all the amenities of home for meals and such (Such being a porcelain toilet and heat at nite) and plenty of room for the guns and ammo.

Hope this helps anybody seeking info on doing the same or close to it.

Al
Back to owning some of those "polymer" guns.

They see me rollin'
They hatin'
Old 10-16-2008, 3:55 PM
Veteran Member

Good to know. Thanks.