Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 01-17-2014, 6:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Illegal stop across state line due to CCW?

Sorry if this is a dup, but I haven't found it in searching. I've read that California uses AFS but have doubts it's accessed by LEOs in other states. Is there any basis for the concerns raised in this article?

http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-new...ither_01162014
Old 01-17-2014, 6:57 AM
retired Goon

AFS is part of CLETS, which is only accessible to CA LEOs.

Out-of-state LEOs do not have access to it, which is one of the reasons why NV does not honor CA LTC permits.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 01-17-2014, 9:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
AFS is part of CLETS, which is only accessible to CA LEOs.

Out-of-state LEOs do not have access to it, which is one of the reasons why NV does not honor CA LTC permits.
That is not quite 100% factual. California has agreements with both Oregon and Nevada that allows 2 way access to the LE database. Now since neither of those states as far as I know have any sort of registration when it comes to firearms it is a one way street I suppose. I have never seen a statewide database that lists LTC holders, that is accessible through a MDT or dispatch computer, at least I have never run a plate or person and had a big flashing warning of a gun LTC holder pop up. Oregon has LEDS, and I can't recall what Nevada calls theirs. It is limited to neighboring states from what I learned as a short light duty stint as a PD/Fire dispatcher. It can probably be done, but I'll bet the average patrol cop doesn't routinely go into the system for more than DMV info.
Old 01-17-2014, 9:48 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
That is not quite 100% factual. California has agreements with both Oregon and Nevada that allows 2 way access to the LE database. Now since neither of those states as far as I know have any sort of registration when it comes to firearms it is a one way street I suppose. I have never seen a statewide database that lists LTC holders, that is accessible through a MDT or dispatch computer, at least I have never run a plate or person and had a big flashing warning of a gun LTC holder pop up. Oregon has LEDS, and I can't recall what Nevada calls theirs. It is limited to neighboring states from what I learned as a short light duty stint as a PD/Fire dispatcher. It can probably be done, but I'll bet the average patrol cop doesn't routinely go into the system for more than DMV info.
When did this happen?
2006 is last time I messed with CLETS and NV LEOs did not have access to it.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 01-17-2014, 10:53 AM
Calguns Addict

At the last update, that I got sent to (kicking and screaming) in 09 we were told that Nevada had access. I questioned it as like you I didn't remember them having access, basically the dispatch supervisor giving us the update told me that I was flat out wrong there has always been access, with the tone that basically said if I continued to question her I was going to fail an open book test.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
At the last update, that I got sent to (kicking and screaming) in 09 we were told that Nevada had access. I questioned it as like you I didn't remember them having access, basically the dispatch supervisor giving us the update told me that I was flat out wrong there has always been access, with the tone that basically said if I continued to question her I was going to fail an open book test.
Don't you just love those Dispatch supervisors. Silly officer, do not question my power.
Old 01-18-2014, 4:33 AM

My understanding is your LTC info is connected to your driver's license not your vehicle license/registration . Is this correct?
Old 01-18-2014, 8:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCWholder View Post
My understanding is your LTC info is connected to your driver's license not your vehicle license/registration . Is this correct?
Yes.
Old 01-18-2014, 7:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCWholder View Post
Depends on what you mean by "connected." Your LTC info is not in DMV's database but of course searching all available databases here in CA would return your LTC info via name, not license plates or VIN from your vehicle.
Old 01-19-2014, 8:49 PM

I was just told to confirm the validity of someone's CCW you would have to call the issuing agency and it is not verifiable by running a check through CLETS, DMV or any other system.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_cue View Post
I was just told...
Who told you?
Old 01-20-2014, 9:15 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Bald_Guy View Post
Who told you?
I was told the same thing via my IA. In fact they said that even the local CHP would have to call the county to confirm.

I would suppose they could have another access point but the IA is the quickest and most direct.
Old 01-20-2014, 1:22 PM
Veteran Member

I guess this is just one of those things for which no verifiable (for most of us) definitive answer will be posted, since every time it comes up there are conflicting replies.
Old 01-21-2014, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Bald_Guy View Post
Who told you?
my supervisor.
Old 01-23-2014, 1:55 PM

John Filippidis was stopped for doing 71 in a 55, so the stop had PC. In CA, CCW does not come up on a 29. That is a specific enquiry on another data base. Something very fishy about this story. Face value is that the officer went beyond his call of duty. The author of the article responded to me with not much more than the original article without speculating.
Old 01-23-2014, 2:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjq View Post
John Filippidis was stopped for doing 71 in a 55, so the stop had PC. In CA, CCW does not come up on a 29. That is a specific enquiry on another data base. Something very fishy about this story. Face value is that the officer went beyond his call of duty. The author of the article responded to me with not much more than the original article without speculating.
Link please for the info on 71 in 55.

If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
or heard it with your own ears,
don't make it up with your small mind,
or spread it with your big mouth.
Old 01-23-2014, 2:21 PM

My permit has the phone number of dispatch on it so that it can be confirmed 24/7. I have called the number and confirmed that they do have the info.

The number is on my permit because I wrote it there.

The Filippidis thing still does not make sense.

My god, Bigger Hammer, dont you have jaywalkers to ticket?

bunny farts to flamethrowers
Old 01-23-2014, 2:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Saw the Filippidis thing hashed out on another forum. Looks like he was driving within the speed limit, and saw the cop following him for quite a while, so, according to him, it was "almost a relief", when he was finally stopped.

As for the CCW, Filippidis had a FL CCW. Florida makes its CCW database available to any LE agency that wants the access. In fact, if I recall correctly, they state so in the CCW package they send to applicants.

DDR AK furniture and Norinco M14 parts kit: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1756292
Old 01-23-2014, 6:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick View Post
Florida makes its CCW database available to any LE agency that wants the access. In fact, if I recall correctly, they state so in the CCW package they send to applicants.
Just checked my Florida package, and see no mention of intra-state data sharing. That doesn't mean that they don't share.

Gotta love the Florida Program

The licensing agency is the Florida Dept of Agriculture (oh yeah, and Consumer Services)

And the website is "FreshfromFlorida.com" https://licensing.freshfromflorida.c...equest790.aspx

Last edited by Dvrjon; 01-23-2014 at 6:29 PM..