Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 05-09-2019, 4:03 PM

Looking for instructor recommendations for the initial CCW course from the official list. From what i've seen on this thread in the last few months folks have mentioned Discount and a couple of other instructors. Recently received my approval so looking to sign up for a class. Any recent experiences/reviews appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2019, 4:08 PM

I'll second my own recommendation for DGM. An informative, low-key, class and qualification session without the all too common instructor ego issues.

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.
Old 05-09-2019, 8:49 PM

Discount gun mart, for sure.
Old 05-09-2019, 9:02 PM

Thanks! that certainly seems to be the consensus from all the posts. Looking forward to finally getting it done and completing the process.

For those that took it at Discount, do you recall what target is used for the quals? Is it the NRA B-27?

Last edited by ncrotalus; 05-10-2019 at 5:53 AM..
Old 05-11-2019, 10:55 AM

Just got a call from SD Sheriffs, they are working Saturdays(!), my interview got bumped up from November to July! The conversation was pleasant and very friendly. I spoke to Christina, she mentioned that if you are on the fence about more than one good cause you can bring a different version just in case. The first interview is still done in person.

Old 05-14-2019, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrotalus View Post
Looking for instructor recommendations for the initial CCW course from the official list. From what i've seen on this thread in the last few months folks have mentioned Discount and a couple of other instructors. Recently received my approval so looking to sign up for a class. Any recent experiences/reviews appreciated.

Thanks.
I used James Murphy, and I literally could not have been happier with his training, his attitude, his approach, and his personality.

Strongly recommended!

K
Old 05-15-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrotalus View Post
Thanks! that certainly seems to be the consensus from all the posts. Looking forward to finally getting it done and completing the process.

For those that took it at Discount, do you recall what target is used for the quals? Is it the NRA B-27?
Yeah, looks about right. it was just one of their torso targets.
Old 05-21-2019, 8:26 PM

Good evening to all of you! I am new to the forum but have a few questions for all of you regarding the CCW process in San Diego. Had my second interview on May 7th, 2019 and was told the wait for approval would be 30 to 45 days.

I was told by an employee at my local gun shop that some approvals were coming back in less than three weeks, have any of you heard of that?

My background is completely clean and my just cause is warranted, just curious what some you may have heard about the process speeding up.

Thanks in advance for your replies!
Old 05-21-2019, 9:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
It's nice that they were able to capture him on camera lying through his teeth. Good Cause is whatever HE says Good Cause, and nothing else. HE can define it as broadly or narrowly as HE wants to all by himself.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.Ē -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 05-21-2019, 11:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smg4643 View Post
Good evening to all of you! I am new to the forum but have a few questions for all of you regarding the CCW process in San Diego. Had my second interview on May 7th, 2019 and was told the wait for approval would be 30 to 45 days.

I was told by an employee at my local gun shop that some approvals were coming back in less than three weeks, have any of you heard of that?

My background is completely clean and my just cause is warranted, just curious what some you may have heard about the process speeding up.

Oh, gosh. I help out so many people in so many anti counties, it is hard to keep things straight (since this is NOT my job (i.e., detracts from earning $$$) and I don't live in those counties....), but IIRC, a few SD folk made posts recently somewhere that the SO was holding interviews on Sats now and people are getting their interviews pushed way ahead than originally planned (i.e., a LOT sooner).

N.B. I spent a few minutes looking at different threads in different forums but could not find the posts so maybe I'm hallucinating....

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 05-22-2019, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smg4643 View Post

30-45 days from second interview is sped up from waiting the usual close to 90 days. I just received my license two weeks ago and I waited close to 60 days, all depends on what they want to investigate in your background and processing times/current workload. If you havenít all ready, join the San Diego County Gun Owners, they recently posted on FB the Sheriff is adopting a electronic program to drastically trim down application process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2019, 8:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogfarmer View Post
San Diego County Gun Owners, they recently posted on FB the Sheriff is adopting a electronic program to drastically trim down application process.
Do you mean an online application process?

Old 05-22-2019, 8:57 AM

Default San Diego CCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Do you mean an online application process?

On a SDGO fb blog post, they claim there will be a new SD Sheriff internal computer program for permit processing. Not a 100% sure if that means online applying. When Get home from work today I will try to screen shot the post and post here. I dont know a timeline on implementation of new program.

Last edited by Hogfarmer; 05-22-2019 at 9:04 AM..
Old 05-22-2019, 9:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogfarmer View Post
If you havenít all ready, join the San Diego County Gun Owners, they recently posted on FB the Sheriff is adopting a electronic program to drastically trim down application process.
You gotta give it to them, in just a few short years SDCGO has enabled a complete 180 deg flip for SD county CCW and it should be a template for any other CA counties looking to do the same. If anyone was wondering if their money would be used wisely, they definitely have the results to back it up.
Old 05-22-2019, 9:50 AM

Default San Diego CCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachoman View Post
You gotta give it to them, in just a few short years SDCGO has enabled a complete 180 deg flip for SD county CCW and it should be a template for any other CA counties looking to do the same. If anyone was wondering if their money would be used wisely, they definitely have the results to back it up.

Couldnít agree more, SDCGO is a great organization. Iím really happy with the whole process in current form.

Last edited by Hogfarmer; 05-22-2019 at 6:24 PM..
Old 05-28-2019, 6:42 PM

I have posted here three frigging times and I never see it posted...why??????

Now, for the third time, would like to share my experience with San Diego's ccw process. I called the sheriff office back in October of 2018 and they told me my interview date would be scheduled for June 2019. You can no longer walk in and drop off your application for ccw, it is all done by appointment only now for those that are wondering.
In mid-January of this year, I got a phone call from the sheriff office wanting to move my appointment date up two months to April 2019. I was very happy for that. So, in April of this year, just two days before my April 4th appointment, the sheriff office called and gave me the interview over the phone, asking me basic info, date of birth and other stuff and asked what my good cause was. The young lady said to put it all down on paper and email it to her. I did and she emailed back with suggestions for improving the good cause statement.
Two days later on April 4th, I went to the sheriff office to complete everything and turn all my documents showing proof of residency and utility bills in, paid the fee, got live-scanned and took a photo. Lady said see you in 60-90 days.
I gotta call from a sheriff investigator May 2nd 2019 needing another proof of residency and I emailed it to him, he said if I didnt hear from him all was good. May 21st I got my approval letter and I pick up my permit tomorrow.
So mine took 49 days from first interview. They are backed up now til June 2020...
Old 05-28-2019, 7:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by giaking70 View Post
I see you posted here and over at: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...1#post23042241

I don't see a 3rd post out of your 6 post history. (BTW, welcome! )

Quote:
Now, for the third time, would like to share my experience with San Diego's ccw process. I called the sheriff office back in October of 2018 and they told me my interview date would be scheduled for June 2019. You can no longer walk in and drop off your application for ccw, it is all done by appointment only now for those that are wondering.
In mid-January of this year, I got a phone call from the sheriff office wanting to move my appointment date up two months to April 2019. I was very happy for that. So, in April of this year, just two days before my April 4th appointment, the sheriff office called and gave me the interview over the phone, asking me basic info, date of birth and other stuff and asked what my good cause was. The young lady said to put it all down on paper and email it to her. I did and she emailed back with suggestions for improving the good cause statement.
Two days later on April 4th, I went to the sheriff office to complete everything and turn all my documents showing proof of residency and utility bills in, paid the fee, got live-scanned and took a photo. Lady said see you in 60-90 days.
I gotta call from a sheriff investigator May 2nd 2019 needing another proof of residency and I emailed it to him, he said if I didnt hear from him all was good. May 21st I got my approval letter and I pick up my permit tomorrow.
So mine took 49 days from first interview. They are backed up now til June 2020...
Like Nachoman said ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachoman View Post

Old 05-28-2019, 7:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Well over the phone and email is faster, more efficient and convenient. They were not doing any of that when I went through the process, and I had a clerk that pushed back at first. Thanks for the report.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 05-28-2019, 10:38 PM

I was referring to being able to reply to this topic, I had tried three times but for some reason they never posted even when I am logged in. Oh well, not a big deal but just wanted to clear up the confusion if there were any.
Old 06-01-2019, 2:37 PM

I called early Feb this year to schedule an appt, initial 1st appt was scheduled to Oct 23. Got a call about a month ago on a Sat and they moved up the appt to July 16. Received a call this past Wed and they moved it up to June 22nd (a Sat). They told me that the first interview is basically turning in the app and going over the gc. Fingers crossed.
Old 06-01-2019, 3:34 PM

Same thing happened to me. As a matter of fact Iím on the same day as you. They will call you two days before the 22nd to go over your good cause and what paperwork you need to bring as supporting evidence. This basically turns it into a one in-person interview process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D16er View Post
I called early Feb this year to schedule an appt, initial 1st appt was scheduled to Oct 23. Got a call about a month ago on a Sat and they moved up the appt to July 16. Received a call this past Wed and they moved it up to June 22nd (a Sat). They told me that the first interview is basically turning in the app and going over the gc. Fingers crossed.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1559 View Post
Same thing happened to me. As a matter of fact Iím on the same day as you. They will call you two days before the 22nd to go over your good cause and what paperwork you need to bring as supporting evidence. This basically turns it into a one in-person interview process.
Hopefully everything goes smoothly! I wasn't anticipating being moved up so quick.
Old 06-12-2019, 4:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I got my approval email today. 34 days after my interview. I did both 1st and 2nd interview at the same time, as I had everything I needed.

Looking to do my class in north county. Does anyone have experience with David Premetz or Split Second Shooting?
Old 06-13-2019, 11:43 AM

Called to make my appointment in May '19, interview is scheduled for May '20... a year away.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frito Bandido View Post
Called to make my appointment in May '19, interview is scheduled for May '20... a year away.
Lol
Old 06-13-2019, 1:26 PM

I received a call from the SO this past Monday, they asked me all the basic questions, name, dob and reason for wanting a ccw. The entire call took about 6 minutes. The clerk told me an email will be sent within 5 minutes and to respond to it ASAP. In the email it basically states to bring the app filled out in its entirety except the areas where there is a signature required, 2 CURRENT proofs of residency, paystubs from my work, ca drivers license, my “proof” for my gc and the 1st bullet point was $105.63 for the fee.

Im assuming its looking good if they are asking me to bring the funds for the background check and fingerprints?

If I was a part of a class action lawsuit from a previous job, where can I print out that information?
Old 06-17-2019, 6:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnichols View Post
I got my approval email today. 34 days after my interview. I did both 1st and 2nd interview at the same time, as I had everything I needed.
What was everything you needed, exactly?

Quote:
...bring the app filled out in its entirety except the areas where there is a signature required, 2 CURRENT proofs of residency, paystubs from my work, ca drivers license, my “proof” for my gc and the 1st bullet point was $105.63 for the fee.
Is this it?
Old 06-17-2019, 6:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorge Retson View Post
What was everything you needed, exactly?

Is this it?
Pretty much. Make sure your proofs of residency are current: most recent bill/statement available.
And as much documentation to back up your good cause as possible.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined.... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun."- Patrick Henry
ActiveJunky sign-up referral link: https://www.activejunky.com/invite/132380
Mr.Rebates sign-up referral link:
http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=1034188
Old 06-18-2019, 8:58 AM

Default The phone call

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnichols View Post
Pretty much. Make sure your proofs of residency are current: most recent bill/statement available.
And as much documentation to back up your good cause as possible.
As far as proof of residency they need bills within the last 30 days. They will accept cell phone bills and bank statements, printed out from online if you are paperless. Donít worry, they are the sheriffís department, if you donít live at the provided address they will know LOL!

They are big on crime maps, especially if related to your good cause.

Your first interview will be over the phone and may be done by an actual deputy as they have reassigned deputies to assist in processing. The one I spoke to was extremely friendly and willing to help.
Old 06-18-2019, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1559 View Post
As far as proof of residency they need bills within the last 30 days. They will accept cell phone bills and bank statements, printed out from online if you are paperless. Donít worry, they are the sheriffís department, if you donít live at the provided address they will know LOL!

They are big on crime maps, especially if related to your good cause.

Your first interview will be over the phone and may be done by an actual deputy as they have reassigned deputies to assist in processing. The one I spoke to was extremely friendly and willing to help.
Does that mean the appt you have this Sat, as do I, will count as the 2nd interview?
Old 06-18-2019, 5:45 PM

Default 2nd interview

Quote:
Does that mean the appt you have this Sat, as do I, will count as the 2nd interview?
Yes sir! After Saturday you wonít see them again until after you are approved and trained. Which means the next time you see them would be to pick up your permit!

Rob
Old 06-18-2019, 5:57 PM

I appreciate the optimism! What would you recommend the dress attire be? I was thinking some slacks and a polo, not sure if anything else would be overdressed.

Thanks
Old 06-18-2019, 6:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Dude I wore my work boots, jeans, and a t shirt... As long as you don't stink it shouldn't matter lol.
Old 06-18-2019, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCarpenter View Post
Dude I wore my work boots, jeans, and a t shirt... As long as you don't stink it shouldn't matter lol.
Hahahahaha. Fair enough.
Old 06-18-2019, 7:48 PM

Default Dress?

Quote:
Hahahahaha. Fair enough.
Okay to be fair Michael from SDCGO recommends a dress shirt and slacks to keep it professional looking. But I think a clean pair of jeans and a polo shirt is a good compromise.

Rob