Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 04-01-2013, 3:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Anyone switching to airguns?

OK, I keep thinking about (and I should just buy one to stop obsessing) a Benjamin Marauder "Precharged pneumatic" rifle, probably in .22 (.177 sounds fun too, but apparently it's louder than the .22 due to the sonic boom)

I hear it's very quiet and about as accurate as a .22, though without the range of course.

The downside is that a fricken air pump for the thing is like $200 ! But considering the current cost of .22lr ammo, that's making more sense now.

I almost feel like it's deciding to buy an electric car because gas is too expensive!

Anyone switch OR add to their stable with an air rifle?

I ask here because obviously people who love rimfire probably appreciate a good air gun.

And YES, I think this is a dupe of a thread I started a year or two ago! But things have changed and ammo cost is now a factor (even though I have 9k of .22 left)
Old 04-01-2013, 3:46 PM

I am kind of "Thrifty" so i went with a break-barrel. in .177. Had it for 2 years and its fun to shoot. Yours will shoot much smoother, with only one recoil you can shoot it for hours. Don't be fooled, if you get into it you can drop many $$$s into your gun, scope......etc. Oh ya you can also set up a indoor range in your house as well.
Old 04-01-2013, 3:49 PM

Been thinking the same thing. Lots of people looking at them at Bass Pro this weekend (about the only thing they had in stock)
Old 04-01-2013, 3:58 PM

I'm itchin for this.

Old 04-01-2013, 5:06 PM

Kinda funny you mention airguns, usi in Concord does an airgun silhouette match, I believe it is the first Sunday of the month. I picked up a cheappy airgun to shoot so I could get my qualifying match for the cmp. Some of the guys there were down right serious about their airguns. Others just there to have fun. Enjoyed myself and would go again if I ever have enough free time. Seems as though Sundays are my only day of nowadays, and there are too many projects around the house to have any fun.

I believe they also have a rimfire silhouette match on first Saturday of the month.

Last edited by jthesby; 04-01-2013 at 5:10 PM..
Old 04-01-2013, 5:09 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

With nine rimfire firearms I am still considering getting an air rifle. Don't know how long the ammo shortage will last. Next thing you know you won't be able to find pellets and of course our intelligent legislature will probably ban air rifles with assualt weapon feartures like triggers, stocks and sights.
Old 04-01-2013, 5:41 PM
Veteran Member

My wife and I have been plinking in the backyard lately with an old daisy pump pellet rifle. It's fun, cheap, and easy to just spontaneously do.
Old 04-01-2013, 5:44 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, I've been thinking of adding a powerful air rifle to my stable too. Also, either a compound or recurve bow.

"We are number one, all others are number two or lower." - The Sphinx

"Why does every discussion of culture always degrade into a discussion of burritos?" - GoZoner
Old 04-01-2013, 6:04 PM

Already did. No, the friggin pump I got was $300 w/the rebuild kits. But my airgun was $1800 because I couldn't justify the $2600 version...

http://s915.photobucket.com/user/ejh...sc/Feinwerkbau

I always wanted a nice match air rifle and it was now or never. I believe this is already considered a banned weapon in NY due to the pistol grip....
Old 04-01-2013, 6:45 PM

Never left.....been shooting airguns since I was 8. There are some very nice ( and expensive) pre charged rifles coming out of Europe right now. A tin of
20 cal pellets is about 20 dollars for 500.

"Slavery is the most profitable business in human history. This explains why your current overseers across the world want a GREAT RESET. ?You will own nothing' conversely means 'they will own everything, including you.? -Jason Powers
Old 04-01-2013, 6:45 PM
Veteran Member

I've been seeing more of them at the range, and I shot a friend's recently and it was pretty fun. I was looking at the Marauder, too, just not quite there yet.

The .177 I shot was crazy quiet - Nitro venom with somewhat heavy pellets to make sure they didn't go supersonic. I can see doing that too - the break action is kind of a pain but it's an amazing deal. Accuracy seemed to be solid although we were using a pretty close target.
Old 04-01-2013, 7:11 PM

I went a different route. I picled up a Diamond Outlaw Compound Bow and couldn't be any happier. There's an archery range in the public park a couple blocks from my house. I go and shoot the bow almost every day. Doesn't cost anything for ammo and most of the time I have the range to myself. Great experiance and uses a lot of the same skills as shooting.
Old 04-01-2013, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTW9999 View Post
I went a different route. I picled up a Diamond Outlaw Compound Bow and couldn't be any happier. There's an archery range in the public park a couple blocks from my house. I go and shoot the bow almost every day. Doesn't cost anything for ammo and most of the time I have the range to myself. Great experiance and uses a lot of the same skills as shooting.
+1 on archery too. For a real challenge try out some 3d shoots if you have any around ypur area. Not trying to threadjack.

"Slavery is the most profitable business in human history. This explains why your current overseers across the world want a GREAT RESET. ?You will own nothing' conversely means 'they will own everything, including you.? -Jason Powers
Old 04-01-2013, 7:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTW9999 View Post
True.

I was amazed at how shooting my compound bow has somehow honed my pistol skills.

Also, with a nearly 30" sight radius, bows are crazy precise. I rarely shoot for groups under 40 yards now to reduce damaging arrows.
Old 04-01-2013, 9:36 PM

Not a pellet gun, but I bought a JG BAR-10 airsoft gun over Black Friday because I just didn't have the time to drive to Angeles every weekend. I got the rifle for $60, plus a cheap-o 4x NcStar scope for $20, and 2000 biodegradable BB's for $5. The trigger is absolute crap, but it's a pretty fun plinker. It can make exit wounds in coke cans at less than 20 ft, but it lacks consistent accuracy past 30 feet. You can still hit cans at 60+ feet... just expect one out of every five shots or so to be flyers.

As an added bonus, it works great for keeping squirrels out of our family's fruit trees. Enough to sting 'em but not enough to seriously hurt 'em.

Lastly, there's a huge aftermarket for this gun... kinda like the 10/22. I'm probably going to buy some parts (precision barrel + zero trigger + upgraded springs) and do some mods to see what kind of FPS and accuracy I can push out to 50 ft.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:53 PM

I recently bought two Red Ryder's ..one for our granddaughter and one for me, the old guy! A ton of fun while waiting for the "crisis" to end.
Brings back some great memories with my boys!
Old 04-02-2013, 12:39 AM

I have a Marauder and an Air-force Condor, both in .22. I shoot the Marauder about 90% of the time out of the two. The condor only comes out if I have a squirrel out at 75 yards at least. It seems like they are getting smarter though and i'm going to have to start using it more. You can't go wrong with the Marauder I bought mine from pyramid air. They have 3 different kits they sell them in, I went with the one that came with everything. Once you figure out what pellets it likes the thing will put all shots through the same hole until you run down your pressure. Pumping it up isn't so bad either, the trick is to pay the extra 10$ to have pyramid test fire the rifle then it will come charged pretty much. If you have to pump it all they way from zero it's definitely a chore. I only shoot mine down to around 2000 psi and then it takes me about 2 minutes to charge it back up.

Last edited by beckty; 04-02-2013 at 12:40 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 04-02-2013, 4:06 AM

I bought a custom built Benjamin discovery from Mac 1 airguns for my son and mounted a good scope on it. He regularly takes squirrels out , out to a hundred yards. I bought a used scuba tank and use it to fill the gun. He loves the gun. It is a good shooter.

Last edited by jigggawatt; 04-02-2013 at 4:10 AM..
Old 04-02-2013, 8:02 AM
@ the Dark End of the Bar
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejhc11 View Post
Already did. No, the friggin pump I got was $300 w/the rebuild kits. But my airgun was $1800 because I couldn't justify the $2600 version...

http://s915.photobucket.com/user/ejh...sc/Feinwerkbau

I always wanted a nice match air rifle and it was now or never. I believe this is already considered a banned weapon in NY due to the pistol grip....
Wow, now THAT'S an air rifle!
Old 04-02-2013, 8:29 AM

Airgun is a lot of fun. Recently added the Marauder 22 and also bought the "Guppy" carbon tank to fill it up. Buy once cry once. The entire airtank setup cost about $500 but it is worth it.
If you want to try it, we can meet up at the Sunnyvale Rod and Gun club over the weekend.
Old 04-02-2013, 8:57 AM
I need a LIFE!!

How do you dill up the pony/scuba tanks? Do you have to go to a dive shop? What's it cost to fill? I'd get the pump too though.

Seems like midway has the best price on the Marauder (from just a little bit of searching) but not sure about shipping.

Pyramid Air seems like a reliable air rifle store.

When I was back home at Christmas time, I found my old (broken Crossman 766) and my brothers 760. Wow, we had some fun when my folks had a cabin up in the boonies!

A pair of Red Ryders will definitely come home when my kids (who are 5) get a bit older too.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:32 AM

I have the tank filled at Sports Chatel and it lasts for ever. I bought the regulator at Mac1 airguns
Old 04-02-2013, 12:48 PM

Hi Leadwaster, I switched and then jumped back and forth between firearms

and airguns almost 30 years ago. Airgun shooting will aid firearm shooting

more than firearm shooting aids airgun shooting. The airgun world is quite

vast; the extent goes from plinking toys to full blown sporter/hunting and

extremely precise match air pistols and air rifles. The ten meter match rifles

can place 10 pellets into .03"-.04" ctc group. The 10 meter match pistols will

make .04"-.06" ctc 10 shot groups. I still have and shoot an FWB 124D sporter/hunter

air rifle that will print .10" ctc 10 shot groups at 10 meters. I bought the gun

in 1987, and I've only changed the piston seal once, about 2 years ago.

It uses a spring powerplant. That leads me to tell you that airguns can have

different powerplants: spring, CO2, air(precharged pneumatic) and single stroke pneumatic.

Spring guns can be break barrel, side stroke and under lever cocked.

Yes, the price asked for many of these guns can dismay you. Quality brands are

FWB, H&W, FWB, Walther, Steyr, Hammerli, and my favorite for spring sporters

and pre-charged pneumatics is Air Arms(England). I have an Air Arms Pro-Sport

that I used in sanctioned Field Target competition. Here's a peek:

http://www.air-arms.co.uk/products/s...powered-rifles

I also shoot 10 meter air pistol, but I'll let you research that category on

your own, if your interested.

The Benjamin Marauder is an excellent low priced Pre-charged pneumatic air rifle.
It lacks the higher quality and trigger of the far more expensive Pre- charged

air rifles, but then it's 1/2-1/3rd cost and it gets the job done.

Thanks for bring the topic to light; i'ts one of my

favorite avocations.

Tony
Old 04-02-2013, 1:17 PM

I bought a Gamo compact target pistol many years ago to practice with at home when I was shooting Bulseye matches in the 90's. Lot's of fun shooting at the length of my garage at 3/4 in. colored plasters. Brought it back out from storage a couple weeks ago when I was unable to find 22LR ammo. It's a lot more challenging to shoot than I remember.
Old 04-02-2013, 1:37 PM

I picked up a metal frame and slide Tanfoglio 1911 CO2 blowback BB pistol for backyard plinking. It's got some weight to it and with the blowback action it comes pretty close to mimicking a .22 rimfire 1911.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWJpZfEgrkY
Old 04-02-2013, 1:39 PM

Oh no, don't do it. Historians are going to refer back to this moment in history as the turning point where the last defender of 2A in CA finally caved in and switched over the airsoft.
Old 04-03-2013, 5:23 PM

I've been doing a lot of practice in my backyard with an old Gamo Hunter 200 lately. The trigger sucks, but I can shoot and work on other aspects of my shooting for cheap without driving to the range.

I've noticed an improvement in my shooting since I started practicing regularly with an air rifle.
Old 04-03-2013, 6:44 PM

I've been playing with a IZH46M for a few years. Fun and super accurate, not to mention cheap to shoot.
Old 04-08-2013, 3:52 PM
Progressives Suck!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

.22 rimfire and pellets are in such a different class that I can't compare them or say which I would buy first.

The .22 LR is probably something that everyone should have at least one of. And I like the Ruger 10/22 and 10/22 breakdown. Also, I have a Sig522, but it's not really worth the extra money.

I've got a couple old Feinwerkbaus that are really pretty nice, but I'm not that into target shooting or varmit hunting with an air rifle. I mostly like to just plink.

Believe it or not my favorite air rifle is a 40 year old Crossman pump that I've had since I was a kid. Back then they made them out of all metal and a wood stock. The thing is very very accurate with iron sites. And I can vary the power. One pump to scare the neighbor's cat from pissing on my chairs (shoot the fence under him). 6 pumps for taking out the damn wood pecker on the side of your house (if you can't scare him away).

I had to take it apart one time to put in a new gasket (air was leaking), but as long as I use quality air rifle oil the thing just keeps on going. Too bad they don't make them as well anymore.

For a while I was playing with M4 style airsoft rifles, but the dang things are expensive and the batteries are hard to fit into the rifle. I was getting over 400fps out of my two electric rifles. But then I started having problems. The triggers stopped working and when I disassembled the mech box to install new parts the damn thing was such a pain (I build ARs and do smithing frequently) that I just ditched them. But they are fun when they work.

Last edited by ScottsBad; 04-08-2013 at 3:59 PM..
Old 04-08-2013, 4:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Love my airguns. I still have my old Daisy "10 pump" rifle that shoots .22 pellets at 570 FPS. I would like to get a quiet break barrel as I cannot afford the pneumatic rifles.
2. PW 800B converted to 800C (12 gauge) with lots of accessories and upgrades
3. Hornady 366 (12 gauge)
Old 04-10-2013, 6:00 PM

I'm just getting back into airguns. I ordered a Gamo® Varmint Hunter HP Air Rifle in .177 cal (1400 fps). I can't wait for it to get here so I can thin out some of the little critters that have become quit a nuisance at work (no, I'm not talking about my co-workers! LOL), as well as some here at home (namely pigeons)!!!! At work, it's those little ground squirrels, mice and crows.
Old 04-10-2013, 9:46 PM

I was into airsoft for years, but I'm out of the sport now. I had a Umarex Steel Storm - semi, 6-round burst - in .177 bb caliber. Lots of YouTube videos on converting to full auto, external air supply, etc. Cheap at less than $100. These days I've switched to a non-lethal paintball gun - you can get rubber balls or even OC (with LE affililiation).

Last edited by hummveecop; 04-10-2013 at 10:42 PM..
Old 04-10-2013, 10:19 PM

Recently bought an FWB 601 single stroke pneumatic to complement my 22 match gun. I equalled the weight and balance as well as the cheek and buttplate settings to my smallbore rifle so I can practice at home at 10M between the weekends when I train with my smallbore. I'll probably get a new PCP match air rifle, but for now the single side lever pump is pretty convenient in that I don't have to worry about buying a scuba tank, getting it filled, etc.

FWB601 & KK300
Old 04-10-2013, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member

I recently got a M&P Co2 BB gun. Its not to shabby for practice in the garage. I am also going to be getting a airsoft version of my concealed carry and HD pieces.

Last edited by StuckInTheP.R.O.Ca; 04-10-2013 at 10:35 PM..
Old 04-11-2013, 1:00 PM

Haha ... I just got a gamo silent cat that was on close to 50% off at big 5 last weekend. It supposedly shoots 1250 fps. Fun for shooting the pigeons that **** all over my backyard.
Benelli m4/m2
Old 04-11-2013, 1:02 PM

I started to kinda get into airsoft last year bought a fun litte electric mp5 for ~$80. There are a few indoor arenas in my area. Could have some training value to it?
Benelli m4/m2
Old 04-11-2013, 1:15 PM

I thought about it.... Besides my house surrounded by trees, squirrels target practice
Old 04-11-2013, 1:36 PM

When we and our neighbor had a rat problem a few years ago, I bought a Daisy co2 pistol. In the evenings I would sit outside, smoking cigars, drinking beer and shooting rats that were attracted to bird seed. I killed 16 rats that summer. Birdseed placement is important.
Old 04-11-2013, 2:14 PM

Yep.

Airforce Talon

Old 04-11-2013, 2:22 PM

My son has a SAW I used it to light up a possum in my tree one day OH YEA!!! Get some!!