Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 03-12-2014, 6:08 PM
CGN Contributor

Default El Dorado County Prepper Expo

SustainableYouExpo.com

My appeal to Calguns preppers is this: Help us get vendors and speakers. This event can end up being a real asset to NorCal communities. I am also open to any suggestions you may have. Hit me with knowledge and suggestions you have to offer.

FYI, even though we will be involving many local non profits, this is a for profit venture, so if Calguns wants to reclassify this post somehow, just let me know. By the way. . . Calguns can have a free booth at this event if they want it.

So, if you think this is a good idea for an event or not, let me know. Any criticism or suggestion may end up helping a lot.

Thank you Calgun preppers.

Kind regards,

-Matt
SustainableYouExpo.com

Interesting history on the 2A worth checking out if you have time for a quick 27 page PDF:
http://www.constitution.org/2ll/2ndschol/89vand.pdf
THE HISTORY OF THE SECOND AMENDMENT
DAVID E. VANDERCOY
[Copyright © 1994 Valparaiso Univ. Law Review. . .]

Last edited by UglyShot; 03-13-2014 at 3:03 PM..
Old 03-13-2014, 12:50 PM
CGN Contributor

So, after 70 of you have glanced at this thread, nobody has an opinion?

The web site is SustainableYouExpo.com

We need about 50 vendors and 1500 people through the door minimum to cover costs. To do well, we need 70 vendors and 3k people through the door. Anywhere in between would be acceptable for the first year. I know from experience that most events need to be built up over a couple of years before they can be considered well established.

We will be marketing this as an educational family event for everybody, but at it's core, this is niche event. That's why I think those who frequent this sub-forum could help steer us in the right direction. You guys are the target market.

Any thoughts? Would you attend? Would you pay $10 for a ticket? What booths would you most want to see or buy from? What headliner speakers do you want to see?

I'll give two free tickets to the first 10 people that want to post here and offer any kind of feedback either positive or negative.

I am genuinely trying to put together a great event and am looking for input.

Interesting history on the 2A worth checking out if you have time for a quick 27 page PDF:
DAVID E. VANDERCOY
Old 03-13-2014, 2:00 PM

Good luck. There's your response.

It’s never too early to learn that the government is a greedy piglet
that suckles on a taxpayer’s teet until they have sore, chapped nipples.
Old 03-13-2014, 3:24 PM

I would pay $10 to get in if parking was cheap/free.
Any potential date/location yet?
I would love to see vendors on the typical topics...
*food storage*firearms*canning*hunting*wild edibles*trapping*hydroponics
Maybe a rep from the local Civilian Emergency Response Team

Just a couple of ideas...
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post

I have always heard Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store...
Old 03-13-2014, 4:06 PM
In Memoriam

Can you give us a brief overview of what to expect after walking through the door? Will it just be tables with freeze dried and buckets of long term foods and camping equipment? Things I'd like to see would be a booth offering weekend classes for: Basic /Advanced woods survival. First-Aid. Field Craft. Weapons use and concealment in adverse conditions, I know people offer this type of service from time to time on CG's. It may be a good idea to have them set up like a
Hunting/fishing show. -g
Old 03-13-2014, 4:09 PM
CGN Contributor

We have booked the El Dorado County Fair Grounds for September 20-21. Parking is probably around $5. You have two tickets coming your way though, and so does Ron Swanson.

Check out the web site if you get a chance: SustainableYouExpo.com

Good idea on the CERT presenters. We are planning on having at least one firefighter speak on the topic of CERT/NERT (civilian/neighborhood emergency response teams) who has experience with setting them up in SF for earthquake preparedness.

We also want to offer intensive classes like suturing and edible landscaping etc..

I really appreciate the response and ideas ExAcHog. Hopefully you will enjoy the event.

DAVID E. VANDERCOY
Old 03-13-2014, 4:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man WC View Post
Can you give us a brief overview of what to expect after walking through the door? Will it just be tables with freeze dried and buckets of long term foods and camping equipment? Things I'd like to see would be a booth offering weekend classes for: Basic /Advanced woods survival. First-Aid. Field Craft. Weapons use and concealment in adverse conditions, I know people offer this type of service from time to time on CG's. It may be a good idea to have them set up like a
Hunting/fishing show. -g
^^ THIS ^^

Otherwise it's "Hey, I have a box, it's got something I think you'll like..." and then when asked what's inside "You have to buy it to find out".

Do you have a vendor list? Will there be activities, raffles, demonstrations, etc? Will there be short sit-in classes on various aspects of prepping? Is parking an additional $20? Will it be all guns & knives or will there be a draw in for the people (wives, etc) who may not be into that aspect? In other words will it be more than just a gun show or will there be vendors with sample tastes of the storage food on toothpicks like at Costco and Sam's Club? Are there going to be demonstration models of underground shelters on the property so you can walk inside and get a feel for the space?

I'm interested in your concept, but you're going to have to do a better job of promoting it to actually get a commitment from people.

ETA: I checked out the web site and it looks interesting. I'm interested enough at this point to want to not plan anything competing on that date... but I will continue to watch as it comes together more and see if it achieves critical mass. Still very interested in seeing an actual vendor list.

Last edited by bruss01; 03-13-2014 at 4:20 PM..
Old 03-13-2014, 4:20 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man WC View Post
Hunting/fishing show. -g
So far we have vendors who deal in Aquaponics, solar powered wells, weapons training, survival training, organic gardening, tools etc. Since we are still months out, I don't know the exact composition of vendors yet, and won't for some time. I will be updating the web site with the class and speaker schedule as soon as possible though.

We will have a stage set up which will be sponsored by a high profile local company, and speakers will be giving presentations all day both days.

El Dorado County Fairgrounds previously did an in house promotion of a Sportsman's Expo but doesn't any longer due to manpower constraints. We hope to meld some of those Hunting/fishing, RV, Boats etc vendors into this event as applicable. Some of those vendors did really well at the Sportsman's Expo according to the fairgrounds, so we think they will be eager to return.

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. You have two tickets coming your way as well.

DAVID E. VANDERCOY
Old 03-13-2014, 5:08 PM
In Memoriam

Sounds great. I think the more information you get out as to type of vendor and service/product offered the better your turnout will be. Marketing and advertisement is key. -g
Old 03-13-2014, 5:08 PM

Offer a basic "SHTF Medical Training" course. Maybe a 1 hr lecture and 1hr hands on. Pair it with a booth selling medical supplies covered in the course.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-13-2014, 5:14 PM
Veteran Member

I'm looking for hands on field first aid service training, as well as other hands on skill building. $10-$15 tickets would be ok as long as parking isn't stupidly priced.
Old 03-13-2014, 5:26 PM
CGN Contributor

Thank you bruss01.

Demos and sampling are part of the plan. So are classes and presentations. For the wives: So far we have vendors in gardening, CC handbags . . . I guess it depends on your wife. I'm looking to round this out for the whole family, so ideas are welcome. Things are in an evolving state right now any suggestions will be considered.

It will not be a gun show. We will likely fill in spaces with knives, stun guns, tactical gear etc, but no guns and ammo as I am not a FFL.

I am working on getting a bunker company in. I spoke with the owner of Atlas and he is interested but would not commit yet. First time events suffer from what I call "chicken and egg syndrome". No kick-a** vendors and speakers want to play unless the event already kicks a**, but an event needs those good vendors and speakers to get established and draw a crowd. It's a catch 22, but also a needle that is possible to thread. There is always more than one vendor in any viable business sector and I hopefully will get a wide enough variety to make it very interesting.

Thanks for the consideration bruss01. You have two tickets if you end up wanting to attend. Thanks for placing us on your radar.

DAVID E. VANDERCOY
Old 03-13-2014, 5:29 PM
CGN Contributor

I definitely want a medical class or several. Suturing classes are common fair at similar events in other parts of the country. If anybody is qualified and interested in teaching such classes, have them contact me.

DAVID E. VANDERCOY
Old 03-13-2014, 5:34 PM

Sounds like a great event to attend- thanks for posting it
Old 03-13-2014, 5:40 PM
Veteran Member

It's been shared.
Old 03-13-2014, 5:52 PM

i would go if there were some good topics/classes. something beyond what i can find browsing the internet for products.
Old 03-14-2014, 9:00 AM

UglyShot, I can certainly appreciate your vision and effort. However, do you have any experience in organizing trade shows? They require a great deal of organization, tenacity and salesmanship. Have you created a cost structure including the cost of facilities, booth furnishings, labor, insurance, advertising, literature, signage, utilities, communications, badges, lead generation system, cleaning, and the list goes on and on.

Personally, I don't think there is a large enough pool of vendors in this region to support such an expo. You will need to identify at least 250 vendors to have a chance of getting 50, your minimum. Those vendors are going to look at the cost of a both, attendance, inventory and cost to man the show when deciding to participate. Most vendors that participate in expos are going to participate in large proven events like gun shows and/or sportsman shows. Without a proven track record you can't come close to speculating on attendance. You have also chosen a very small county venue that is going to limit your pool of attendees even more. If it was in Sacramento, you'd have a much larger pool of potential attendees to market to.

In order to get 1,500+ attendees you're going to have to advertise. Relying on forums and word of mouth ain't going to cut it. What is your advertising budget? It better be over $5,000 at the minimum just for the Sacramento Bee. And that's money your going to have to pay well in advance of the expo just like most of the expenses identified above.

My suggestion to you is to partner with an established gun show and create a prepping component. It could be a separate area for just prepping and survivalist gear as well as break-out training sessions (like others have suggested). Gun shows already have the infrastructure, know-how, name recognition, vendors and attendees to have a successful expo. You would be adding value to their existing show and have a much better chance of achieving your objectives. But the way your going right now is going to cost you more money then you have any chance of making with very poor results.

It’s never too early to learn that the government is a greedy piglet
that suckles on a taxpayer’s teet until they have sore, chapped nipples.
Old 03-14-2014, 9:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyShot View Post
So, after 70 of you have glanced at this thread, nobody has an opinion?

The web site is SustainableYouExpo.com

We need about 50 vendors and 1500 people through the door minimum to cover costs. To do well, we need 70 vendors and 3k people through the door. Anywhere in between would be acceptable for the first year. I know from experience that most events need to be built up over a couple of years before they can be considered well established.

We will be marketing this as an educational family event for everybody, but at it's core, this is niche event. That's why I think those who frequent this sub-forum could help steer us in the right direction. You guys are the target market.

Any thoughts? Would you attend? Would you pay $10 for a ticket? What booths would you most want to see or buy from? What headliner speakers do you want to see?

I'll give two free tickets to the first 10 people that want to post here and offer any kind of feedback either positive or negative.

I am genuinely trying to put together a great event and am looking for input.

I would go if a Bay Area Event at a later date. Here is my opinion for what it's worth.

Cost - $10-20 is what I'd pay
Parking - $5-10 no problem

Vendors - Most people here are avid preppers and can smell someone who doesn't know what they are talking about, so make sure the vendors are the real deal. Having said that, I would like to see vendors that are actually selling stuff. Not those info booths with pamphlets. More like a typical gun show where there are various sellers. Sure some things can't be sold right there (solar, aquaponics, bunkers, etc) but for food, gear, weapons, lights, water storage, etc. it would be great to walkout with stuff.

Things I'd like to see for sale:
Medical Supplies and Emergency First Aid items
Emergency Food. Freeze Dried and MRE.
Water Storage / Purification
Food storage
Urban Gardening
Vehicles, trailers, bug out essentials
Hunting gear.
Outdoor gear. Camping, Hiking, etc
Tactical gear. Backpacks, clothing, etc

Onsite Speakers:
- EMTs or others to give a talk and demo on "beyond basic first-aid".
- Tactical interactive demos/speakers showing holsters, slings and such. More how to carry and transition from walking to ready and such.
- Basic bug-out plans and how to get a family ready to go in minutes. What you need and don't need to take.
- Group get together? Calgun meet and greet, etc.
It's one thing to question everything . . . It's entirely another thing to reject simple, rational explanations in favor of ever more fantastic and far reaching explanations because you've decided the government cannot be trusted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
Anyone who says the American dream requires a specific pay range doesn't understand the meaning of the American dream
Old 03-14-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyShot View Post
I definitely want a medical class or several. Suturing classes are common fair at similar events in other parts of the country. If anybody is qualified and interested in teaching such classes, have them contact me.
You may want to try and contact USNERDOC on youtube, as his name implies he was an ER doc in the US Navy, he now has a side project building medical response kits and does shows. He may be willing to come down and present or vend. Think he is either in Wash or Oregon.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Atlas shelters would be a great addition. If they are able to have an actual sample shelter available for folks to get hands-on with, that would probably be a big draw not only for the Atlas business but also for the show in general. If they are unable to have an actual shelter present for the show, maybe they could arrange a "mock-up" just so that people could get a feel for the space and better visualize the prospect. If Atlas can't make it maybe another shelter maker could. What was that company that had the tv show "Doomsday Bunkers"? If an actual demo isn't feasible they may at least want to have a booth with info and maybe a small scale model.

Emergency Essentials is a well-respected vendor. I order from them with some regularity. However there are a lot of their products that I have been reluctant to buy simply because my wife is a fussy eater. The canned cheese, for instance, I would want to taste before buying. Is it like real cheese, or is it more like american cheese or velveeta? That makes a difference to a lot of folks.

Bug out bags are a big topic right now in the public awareness and any makers of bags or of gear that is well-suited to the bags would be a great candidate for a show. You really can't judge how a pack is going to fit you by looking at it online. A show would really provide people the hands-on confidence to make a purchase if they can find a bag that suits their needs.

HOLSTERS! Another thing that is really hard to buy online. Give me a sample, let me put it on and wear it a couple of minutes (a fake "blue" gun can be used for demo purposes). NO FFL required to sell holsters and belts.

Home food storage systems - mylar vacuum packaging and vacuum sealers, food storage buckets, gamma seal lids, the rolling can systems ("Cansolidator", "Shelf-Reliance" etc), home canning, dehydrators.

Water is a huge concern in this area. Flo-Jack solar well pumps should be interested in demonstrating their product with a couple of livestock watering troughs. Water storage systems, rainwater catchment, filters and uv purifiers would probably get a lot of attention.

First aid - do you know how many people would turn out for a 1-hour crash course in suturing? If you have several of these spread over the course of the day, ten to twenty people per class, a lot of folks would show up just for that alone. Have another one on proper use of a tournequet, same thing. And while they're waiting for class, they will end up browsing a lot of the other booths. Celox gauze and Water Jet burn gel were hawked on Survival Mom just this morning, but odds are a lot of would-be preppers have never heard of either of them. Those are really valuable things to know about, and I would think, very sale-able to the forward-thinking crowd.

Bug out vehicles and trailers - Endless possibilities here.

I'm actually finding myself getting enthused about this show and I'd be happy to help promote it or offer ideas. Good luck with the organization and let me know if you need any help.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:09 PM
CGN Contributor

Thank you to all who have posted – free tickets to each of you (assuming Ron isn't TOO right with some of his refrains). There is a lot of great feedback here.

Ron Swanson - Your concerns are all valid. Confronting the hard questions is important. I have experience promoting about 60 events over the last 4 years, but all in the art and craft show genre with about 40-70 vendors on average. I've been self employed 14 years, so I'm not starry eyed or naive to the pitfalls. This will be quite different from what I've already done, but the underlying principles are similar enough that I think my experience informs a realistic set of expectations. New events are fragile and hard to establish.

Anyway, the cost structure is likely not going to allow for much profit the first year. What is crucial is that the vendors make money and that the public likes the event. If vendors make money they will come back and tell other vendors about us. Advertising well is critical.

I also share your concern that there might not be enough vendors in the region. That's a factor that could really constrain the potential and is out of anybody's control. I think that enough different industries overlap with the themes we want to cover that we may find the right variety of vendors. We just don't know these things for sure until we try. So far it is going well. We need to get the word out further and see who else is out there. At about 90 days prior to the event, if we don't have good vendor bookings and momentum, some hard decisions might have to be made. That's realistic.

Wheels- Great lead. Thank you.

Bruss01- Thanks for the enthusiasm and the information. You are so right about holsters! I appreciate the offer to help spread the word.

I just got home from a long day of driving and need sleep. Thanks again for the thoughtful responses.

DAVID E. VANDERCOY

Last edited by UglyShot; 03-14-2014 at 10:25 PM..
Old 03-15-2014, 12:49 AM
CGSSA Coordinator
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels View Post
You may want to try and contact USNERDOC on youtube, as his name implies he was an ER doc in the US Navy, he now has a side project building medical response kits and does shows. He may be willing to come down and present or vend. Think he is either in Wash or Oregon.
Yep and the Patriot Nurse as well as Dr. Bones and Nurse Amy.

Just to throw more names

Nutn Fancy
Jack Spirko of TSP
Dudes from Dual Survival
Christopher Nyerges from Doomsday Preppers *A calgunner on here is good friends with him

On another note, being a Nurse Assistant, PreNursing Student, CERT Instructor and Ham operator... PLEASE have a emergency communication (emcomm) vendors/aspect.

Last edited by DavidR310; 03-15-2014 at 1:06 AM..
Old 03-15-2014, 5:51 AM
CGN Contributor

I don't think I'd heard of Dual Survival yet so thanks for that.

Good point on the "emcomm" aspect. El Dorado County has a Ham radio club and one of their members has approached us about getting their club involved with an informational booth and demos etc. I personally want to learn more about Ham for myself. In addition to the Ham club, I will definitely pursue commercial vendors in that aspect as well.

DAVID E. VANDERCOY

Last edited by UglyShot; 03-15-2014 at 5:53 AM..
Old 03-15-2014, 6:32 AM

I would pay $10.00 for the expo and so would the people I bring.

Amp-3 would be a good vendor/speaker I have seen some of his stuff and its good. David also does training and seminars. YouTube: USNERDOC

AMP-3, LLC 515 NW Saltzman Rd #860 Portland OR 97229 - 6190
(503) 318-5672
Email: amp3@reagan.com

Another vendor possibility would be Disaster Stuff.Com
They are located in Roseville, don't know if he could make it, he is a one man shop.

DisasterStuff.com - 201 Harding Blvd Suite E, Roseville, CA 95678, US
916-367-7720
Old 03-15-2014, 7:18 AM

Parking at the fairgrounds is usually free. At least it was for the last gun show. You are on to something so keep heading there. Perhaps you could consider an outside display of BoV's that folks have, try and get one of the local hunter guides to come in and talk about survival hunting and foraging. For $10 I would go for certain and if you had 20% quality vendors I would consider it good to go. Deer season will just be ramping up so perhaps a hunter safety course for cert or again the hunter/guide track for that and predator hunting could bring in folks who otherwise might not come. Put something in there for the youth to make it fun for them....rock wall, archery range....just some thoughts for you.
Old 03-15-2014, 7:20 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Def call minute man supply in jackson ca.
Old 03-15-2014, 7:46 AM

My wife and I would attend.

As others stated, it would be nice to know a little more about what will be there.

Some of the topics/equipment/reading material of interest to me would be:
  • Home "prep": securing structure/property, supplies, etc (ie hunker down)
  • Gardening especially "shade" and "hill" type plants
  • Medical type topics beyond basic CPR

I wouldn't mind seeing some instructors for any of the above so follow up learning would be available.
Old 03-15-2014, 9:23 PM

I think that the replies are right on. Educating the public is needed
1) how to have safe water
2)first aid and long term health are important to all.
3)food growing and long term food storage are also needed ie, gardening, canning, dehydrating, bee keeping and such
just a few ideas
thanks Herb
Old 03-16-2014, 7:32 AM
In Memoriam

Bump for a great thread and with hopes the expo is a success.
-g
Old 03-16-2014, 7:04 PM
CGN Contributor

Thanks to all who have posted so far. We will be working hard to get more momentum going this month. If you are out and about and come across any vendors, or think of any more possible presenters, please post here or send me a pm or email.

sustainableyouexpo@gmail.com

sustainableyouexpo.com

Everybody who has posted so far in this thread will get two free tickets when we hopefully start selling them in a couple months. Thanks again everybody.

If anybody is driving down Missouri Flat road stop in at Tool Depot. The owner rich is one of my partners on this project and he can hook you up with a stack of flyers if you stop by there.

-Matt

DAVID E. VANDERCOY
Old 03-17-2014, 7:13 AM

Maybe some skills sharing events. Like how to seal a mylar bag with the O2 absorbers in the most efficient way, knot tying, or immobilization of mechanical injury, that sort of thing.

I've offered this in the past, but I have a connection with Doug "the Spider Hole Guy" from Doomsday Preppers, I can look into inviting him as a speaker if you like.
Old 03-17-2014, 6:20 PM
CGN Contributor

Thanks Mossy590. That would be great. He is the owner of Sierra School of survival right? I was hoping to get him involved if he is interested.

DAVID E. VANDERCOY
Old 03-17-2014, 8:07 PM

Ugly shot. You don't need to be an FFL, I do. Oh wait, I am, outa EDH. I'd do a booth, and I think I could probably entice the best tactical pistol trainer I've ever see. And it's a she to boot. Ping me back if interested.
Old 03-17-2014, 8:20 PM

I'd go along with my wife!

Has anyone mentioned good food? Having good vendors with great food makes people happy. That should be an easy sell for you.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2014, 11:24 PM

A good expo model is the Flyfishing expo that was held at the Alameda county fair goungs last month. The had 4 or 5 areas for speakers plus vendors.
They had authors give lectures on topics from their books. This was arranged by a book seller who distributed their books. There has to be vendors who sell and demo emergency fishing kits etc.

how about getting groups like the red cross, county emergency serice providers, Cert groups, fire dept, fema usar (urban search and rescue) group. There is one in Sacramento and the state OES group give demos.
You might be able to get vendors who provide these rescue grous supplies. Their USAR equipment includes concrete cutting chain saws and cool stuff like this.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

It might be a good idea to include an "emergency communications" seminar(s).

HAM Radio techniques, getting your license, book vendors, equipment vendors, and perhaps reps from local HAM Radio groups - heavily tailored towards the newbies.
Old 03-19-2014, 12:52 PM

Here's an idea to maybe try and attract different preppers, have a "Rate My Bug Out Bag" competition or a "Best Bug Out Vehicle" competition.

Or you can have a door prize of a BOB to raffle off just for showing up. Get the vendors to donate something and put it all together. For a beginner, the idea of being able to win a complete BOB for someone who hasn't out one together might be a big draw.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-19-2014, 1:09 PM

Think of stuff for kids to do as well, make it fun for them, get them interested.

Something like a "make your own paracord bracelet" booth, knot-tying, or perhaps a hands-on fire starting booth?
Old 03-20-2014, 1:20 AM

you get Patriot Nurse to show up and i'll go no matter how much the ticket price is
Old 03-20-2014, 8:48 PM
CGN Contributor

So, Sierra m37 and DontTreadOnMeBro714 have brought up this idea of a BoV show/competition. We could easily do this outside Forni Hall. It might cost the expo extra rent, but I think this is a fun idea and good addition to the event. The fairgrounds charges $30 for overnight RV camping with water and electrical. How many people have a vehicle that they would consider a BoV and would they bring it?

What would be a good prize for the winner and runner up? Should there be a registration fee like a car show? My purpose for charging an advanced fee would be to offset added costs but mostly to ensure registrants actually showed up and that we didn't have gaping holes from people flaking out at the last minute. I learned about this the hard way promoting other events. People tend to show up for things they have paid for more consistently than things they haven't - go figure. So, what if BoV show registration was $40 or $50 but included their two event tickets? That, plus the two nights of RV rent ($60) would have their cost of attending the event for two days and two nights at about $100-$110 base cost. They'd be camping near other preppers who own BoVs so that might be a cool experience in itself. Is that reasonable? Would people do it? Would they rather just do one day and night?

I also confirmed with the Fairgrounds that parking will be $5 per car. Fairgrounds will manage parking.

The EDC fairgrounds is being really great to work with so far. They offered to blow up our fliers to poster size for display during the County Fair and other upcoming events and they should be adding us to the online fall schedule next week.

DAVID E. VANDERCOY

Last edited by UglyShot; 03-21-2014 at 4:41 AM..