Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 04-11-2013, 7:46 PM
Banned

You guys realize they're going to tell you what you want to hear and then ship your half assed lower with mill marks and out of spec tolerances 4 months from now regardless of how many times you call them, right?

Just get a refund and buy a lower from a company that doesn't pride itself on making garbage and has the decency not to blow smoke up your *** about shipping dates.
Old 04-17-2013, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrage View Post
You guys realize they're going to tell you what you want to hear and then ship your half assed lower with mill marks and out of spec tolerances 4 months from now regardless of how many times you call them, right?

Just get a refund and buy a lower from a company that doesn't pride itself on making garbage and has the decency not to blow smoke up your *** about shipping dates.
My lower was perfect and came in before the time I was quoted when I ordered
Old 04-18-2013, 4:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd21 View Post
My lower was perfect and came in before the time I was quoted when I ordered
You're fortunate then. I can only speak for my own experience with JD (two AR-15 lowers, a matched AR308 upper/lower, and first hand experience with other people's JD builds), that their quality is hit or miss to the point where I will slander them when presented with the opportunity until they either go bankrupt, get bought by someone that takes pride in their work, or figure out how to fix their own ****.
Old 04-19-2013, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjawho? View Post
got 2 i ordered today...uneven anodizing,rough burrs in magwell,some scratches,mags did not slide into easily..had to wiggle it in...not comparable to my others(mega,spikes)...was not happy or impressed......ordered on jan 4 i think??just got them today......sending them back to be replaced....we ll see what happens...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjawho? View Post
i could deal with the wait even though the wait time they told me was 2mos. ago........but receiving it and finding sub par quality is what dissapointed me....
sent my 2 lowers back...they said they were sorry and would fix it..that they would check the lowers to make sure they were fine and they would fix the problem....that they were sorry...
dissapointed....this what got today...2 blemished dinged up used looking lowers..anodizing looks blueish green in some spots......worse than the first.....i hope they see this...they said it would be fixed...lifetime guarantee means $h!t...!!!!and they wantted me to ay for shipping back to them.

Last edited by ninjawho?; 04-19-2013 at 9:28 PM..
Old 04-19-2013, 10:20 PM

Geez, I have a long way to go still (ordered beg of march), so hopefully mine will be ok by then....
Old 04-19-2013, 11:16 PM

Ninjowho,

That is unbelievable. This is very unlike JD. The whole reason many of us have purchased from them in the past was their attention to detail. I am very sorry to hear about continuing issues. Good luck getting your replacement lowers fixed. One quick question, do they pay the FFL transfer fees for shipping a stripped lower back in for repairs? Do they have you bypass the system all together and just ship it directly to them? I ask because I hadn't thought of having to ship a lower back before.

Again, best of luck.
Charlie
www.C4Precision.com
Old 04-20-2013, 6:32 AM

It is perfectly legal to send them directly for repair since there is no ownership transfer. I had one that I bought prior to the panic that was slightly out of spec. I sent it to them and they made me a new one with the same serial number after destroying the original.
Old 04-20-2013, 7:23 AM

I walked in and bought a regular JD lower back on January 12 and was quoted 8-12 week. I am now on week 15 and still no lower.
Old 04-21-2013, 9:16 PM

Wow. That looks terrible. I am so happy I canceled. Too much more of this will ruin their rep. Which actually has nosedived in recent months if you do some googling.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:55 AM

Got the FFL call today from my 1/4/2013 online order on a CalGuns filled lower.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:07 AM

Congrats sir!

Charlie
www.C4Precision.com
Old 04-23-2013, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4Charlie View Post
Congrats sir!

Charlie
Thank you! Mine looks fine, with no scratches or other blemishes. It was missing the lock I was required to buy though.
Old 04-23-2013, 5:22 PM

I stoked to hear your lower looks good. My office is only a few minutes away from JD. Do you want me to go grab that lock for you? I'm in OC next Wednesday. I'd be happy to bring it up to you

Charlie
www.C4Precision.com
Old 04-23-2013, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4Charlie View Post
I stoked to hear your lower looks good. My office is only a few minutes away from JD. Do you want me to go grab that lock for you? I'm in OC next Wednesday. I'd be happy to bring it up to you

Charlie
Thanks for the kind offer, but I don't really need another lock. I'll see if I can get $10 credit or donate it to CGF or something (the $10).
Old 04-24-2013, 3:47 PM

I was there today. Guy at the counter said they were shipping orders from Jan 12.
Old 04-24-2013, 9:43 PM

I ordered online 2/11
Talked by phone with them first. Was told up front it would be 16-20 weeks
Old 04-24-2013, 10:42 PM
Veteran Member

This is depressing lol
Old 04-24-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMartin View Post
Thanks for the kind offer, but I don't really need another lock. I'll see if I can get $10 credit or donate it to CGF or something (the $10).
You're welcome sir. I just figured the actual chances of that lock getting sent out were pretty low. I like the idea of them donating to CG. Nice one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOAR79 View Post
This is depressing lol
You are so right about that. Its the biggest reason I went to a CM and had a large lot made. I couldn't take that kind of lead time.

I still have my stash of JD lowers from pre panic days that were made perfectly. I hope things get back to normal for them soon. I really want to order their uppers receivers.

Have a great night.
Charlie
www.C4Precision.com

Last edited by C4Charlie; 04-24-2013 at 11:16 PM.. Reason: Grammar correction
Old 04-25-2013, 6:29 AM

The uppers are fine. They are made in a desperate facility in Colorado I think. They only get anodized in San Diego.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:01 AM

So has anybody received locks with their orders? Curious because it seems to me if you charge extra for a piece that nobody else does, and say it is for legality, then don't send it........ Then it was never a legality issue, it was a lie, and they are just pocketing free money at the customers expense..... All the while the desperate/ignorant/doesnt care customer doesn't even care, because "they got their lower!"..... Quite a racket they got going unless I am mistaken. Hopefully I am....
Old 04-25-2013, 1:53 PM

Here is a direct quote from the CA Firearms Law:

Each firearm sold, transferred, or manufactured in California must be accompanied with a firearm
safety device approved by the Department of Justice and identified as appropriate for that firearm.
The Department of Justice is required to compile and publish a listing of all of the safety devices that
have been determined to meet the department’s standards. A list of these devices is available on the
Department of Justice Bureau of Firearms website at http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/fsdcertlist.htm.
(Penal Code § 12088.1.)

It sounds like a racket, but they no longer accept safe affadavits due to the lack of clear ruling on such affadavits and rifle transfers. HOWEVER, they have clearly violated this:
"must be accompanied by a firearms safety device". My bet is that Jesse and Jody have no idea that shipments are going out without locks. I would email them and advise them of the issue. That could potentially be a huge issue for them if someone decides to get ugly about it and report them. I might be wrong, but the law is the law. Unless you fall under one of these three exemptions, it HAD to be shipped with the lower:
- The purchaser demonstrates proof that he or she owns a gun safe that meets the standards set
forth in Department of Justice regulations adopted under Penal Code section 12088.2 by
signing an affidavit to that effect.
- The purchaser presents an approved safety device for the firearm being purchased and provides
to the firearms dealer an original receipt showing the purchase took place no more than
30 days prior to picking up the firearm.
- The purchaser presents a receipt for a Department of Justice-approved lock box and signs
an affidavit (provided by the firearms dealer) that describes the make and model of the
lock box and that the lock box will accommodate the firearm being purchased.

Good luck you guys. At least you are all covered, it is JD that exposed by this error. That's not going to help anyone...

Charlie
www.C4Precision.com
Old 04-25-2013, 4:40 PM

Thanks for the info Charlie, do you mean JD doesn't accept safe affidavits? If it is shipped to ffl where you sign the requisite paperwork, shouldn't that take the responsibility off them? not trying to sound rude at all, its a serious question as I don't understand why only they do it. If other manufacturers do too I just haven't heard about it ... From this board all I have heard is JD and Turners( which I have no idea about as I am on NorCal)
Old 04-25-2013, 7:17 PM

i got 2 locks with mine.......on a side note they called me back and said they were going to make things right....after some discussion we came to an agreement and i am satisfied now....they have put out a good product in the past and i hope they will continue too in the future....
Old 04-25-2013, 11:14 PM

Mine came with an orange lock.
Old 04-26-2013, 7:35 AM

Sounds like the ones that didn't get it were just mistakes. I am sure at the rate they are cranking them out some are gonna slip through. I will reserve judgement until I get mine and will report how it turns out.
Old 04-26-2013, 8:03 AM

I agree that the missing ones were mistakes, they could just be big issues for JD. I'm going to get a message to Jodi today.

As for the safe affidavit, there is debate within the gun dealer/mfg community as to the exact letter of the law. As proof that the state recognizes them, here is the link to the form: Safe Affidavit
My FFL, Paul Johnson, has accepted my safes and there respective affadivits ever since I started doing transfers through him. I haven't purchased one lock through him, only through Discount Gun Mart, Turners and Big 5.
The problem is the BATF. The following link shows a copy of a letter from the BATF addressing the issue: BATF Letter

It's a pain and the consumers are the ones paying the price. The best advice I can give is to hit up Walmart or similar cheap retailer and buy the cheapest approved lock they have just before making a purchase or find yourself a local FFL that is willing to accept the affadavit (like mine).

Have a great Friday folks!
Charlie
www.C4Precision.com
Old 04-26-2013, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

I have so many locks it's not even funny anymore
Old 04-28-2013, 8:29 PM

Wish I could find out exactly when my upper / lower set will be in- ordered navy rollmark filled.
Old 05-03-2013, 4:36 PM

Does anyone have any updates on receiving orders (what order dates)?
Old 05-03-2013, 5:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some1 View Post
Does anyone have any updates on receiving orders (what order dates)?

I ordered and paid in person 2/1, nothing yet! I was told 12 weeks in the beginning. Might be getting close. I ordered a plain Jane JD lower.

A member of The Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
Old 05-03-2013, 6:11 PM

I ordered a no fill, jd roll mark in person on the 1/17, got a phone call that I could pick it up on 5/2. Still haven't bothered to go get it so we'll see on the quality.
Old 05-03-2013, 8:27 PM

I just got my Calguns paint-filled lower out of jail today. Ordered online on 1/4/2013.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblowphony View Post
I ordered a no fill, jd roll mark in person on the 1/17, got a phone call that I could pick it up on 5/2. Still haven't bothered to go get it so we'll see on the quality.
Picked it up today, looks great! No marks, dings, etc. Anodizing looks good, even spray no pitting.

Crazy to think it took that long to get it but we live in crazy times, not JD's fault.

Good luck guys.
Old 05-05-2013, 8:49 PM

Congrats Joe!!!!!
Old 05-06-2013, 11:45 AM

To give an update to my order.

I called JD Machine today, talked to a really nice lady who actually took my order number and checked the status this time. Then came the fun news. My order was shipped April 8th?!?! Three days prior to my last status check....

I called my local FFL, that was suppose to call me when it got in, and the answer I got was "Oh yeah, the jd lower, we've got that!" Also learned that even though I paid all my transfer fees and did the paperwork with them back in January, they have yet to start the DROS, nice!!

Oh well, at least it means this craziness is almost over for me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carczar_84 View Post
Talked to someone at JD today about my lower order from 2nd week in December, and was told they were still 2-3 weeks out! I asked if I could check my order number to see where I am in the list, and was told that order number and date didn't really matter... Huh??? How can you tell someone you are shipping orders from December, then tell them it's 2-3 weeks out, and then say order number doesn't matter????

This is just getting old...
Old 05-06-2013, 3:33 PM

CarCzar-
When did you place your order?
Was it online?

Thanks
Old 05-06-2013, 6:50 PM

Placed my order December 19th online.

My local ffl got everything sorted this afternoon. Long time in the making, but at least by next Thursday I will be good. Also looked over the upped, and everything looked clean!
Old 05-06-2013, 7:12 PM

Congrats! Lucky you!
Old 05-06-2013, 7:33 PM
Veteran Member

I'm still waiting for my call. Ordered in person on 1/16
Old 05-06-2013, 7:45 PM

I ordered one too, at the last gun show at the end of March. Expected completion date: August...doh!!

FF