Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 09-18-2019, 7:16 AM

But..... I thought a .22 and a .38 is all anyone needed.

No?
Old 09-18-2019, 7:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

This is the United States of America. We don't do minimal here.
Old 09-18-2019, 7:57 AM

Sounds like someone who got excited about guns back in the day visiting all the gun shows and gun shops and couldn't resist temptation.. Guns, canisters of ammo and cabinets full of parts.

Then, things change, years roll by and they begin to loose interest in the "hobby" and they begin to regret those expensive purchases and think about just keeping the basic examples for defensive purposes only.. Some sell out, some don't because of the hassle involved with selling while some regain their interest after a life changing event.

Several posts here on Calguns over the years exhibiting that phenomenon.
Old 09-18-2019, 8:28 AM

If I lived in a small apartment , I would definitely become a minimalist

no place for a large gun safe, less storage space, etc

If I was an apartment dweller, I would only have a couple handguns, maybe one long gun, and a small safe

Last edited by omega; 09-18-2019 at 8:31 AM..
Old 09-18-2019, 8:35 AM
Calguns Addict

I already have the minimum, just need to buy 1 or 2 more lol.....
Old 09-18-2019, 8:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Yes, but after the move and I've settled into my house, that went out the window.
Old 09-18-2019, 8:46 AM
Calguns Addict

I think of this every year. One HG, one Rifle, etc but what I have already fits certain boxes so I'm already at my base levels.
Old 09-18-2019, 8:48 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Why would I?

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 09-18-2019, 9:20 AM

Maybe 3 safes, but not guns.
Old 09-18-2019, 9:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedinCalifornia View Post
Have you ever given serious consideration to a 'minimalist' approach when it came to firearms?
Please explain how this would be fun and satisfying ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
This is the United States of America. We don't do minimal here.
WINNER WINNER chicken dinner!!!
Old 09-18-2019, 10:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Haha, nice try Beto!
Old 09-18-2019, 10:22 AM

does one of everything count?
Old 09-18-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
Please explain how this would be fun and satisfying ??
I don't have to and I don't claim to completely understand it myself.

I suspect the difference is similar to those who focus on their local regions and those who go off to see the World. The travelers enjoy the differences (and similarities), the stimulation, seeing what's over the next hill or around the next corner, etc. Those who focus closer to home enjoy the intimacy, the greater familiarity, a more specific sense of 'home.'

There's something to be said for and advantages to be had in having a sense for and/or experience with a wide variety of firearms. There's also a sense of 'security' akin to not having all your eggs in one basket. If you're concerned about something such as theft or confiscation, 'spreading out' the collection makes it less likely you'd lose 'everything' at once. During an ammo shortage, you potentially have options. It's easier for many to keep from getting 'bored.' Et al.

On the flip side, there's a reason for the expression: "Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it (and others)." It's hinted at and alluded to in the Rifleman's Creed...

Quote:
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will ...

My rifle and I know that what counts in war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit ...

My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will ...

Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and I are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!
There are, however, rarely true purists in either camp. Kinda like the man who is happy and satisfied with his wife. The intimacy, familiarity, comfort, security, stability, etc. It can, occasionally, take some effort (maybe even moments of 'creativity') to keep things from getting 'boring.' But, while it doesn't mean one can't take notice that there are other fish in the sea (at least so long as the wife doesn't notice and you don't decide to go fishing), the key is largely found in the idea that once you've 'bonded,' while you tell yourself that "looking doesn't hurt," you don't truly desire something else.

On the other hand, someone who is always in pursuit of a bigger fish, a different type of fish, more fish, etc. often find a nearly insatiable hunger for... something which is never quite fulfilled. The fun isn't in the possession, but in the pursuit and acquisition. It's in the compare/contrast experimentation, pushing boundaries, seeing what does or can work in a variety of situations, etc.

It's not that one is intrinsically 'better' than the other. It's not that a given individual is naturally prone to one way or the other; i.e., circumstances (money, space, availability, etc.) often dictate. Priorities can differ at various life stages; i.e., some are 'ready to settle down,' others never will be.

I always suspected that for the guy I knew over 30 years ago, it was the 'intellectual challenge' which drove his quest. He had the connections, the resources, the disdain for certain 'rules,' and the ability to acquire virtually anything (within reason) that he wished. But, he was constantly 'experimenting' to see if he could find that minimal combination. He didn't pontificate that it was for 'everyone,' but he did discuss his criteria/justifications/rationalizations, heavily, at times; simultaneously seeking input and just to hear his own thoughts expressed. At which point, he'd often throw himself down yet another rabbit hole in pursuit of "THE minimum."

Put another way, he exhibited the worst and best of both worlds.

That's why I don't have to explain or, even, completely understand it myself. It's a thought experiment; i.e., something to be learned from.

Carry on.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:03 AM

I take the minimalist approach just in case I have to evac due to a fire or flood. I don't want my firearms to be damage or worse, stolen, while I'm evacing.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

in regards to potential confiscation, that gives more reason to not be "minimalist" with your guns.

the more guns you have, the less they have a chance of finding it all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSig1911 View Post
Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepperGunShop View Post
Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).
Old 09-18-2019, 5:25 PM

I have thought about simplifying my firearm collection many times. It felt good to think of getting rid of excess firearms and calibers to keep life simple. But then I realized I reload for all of them and they are all different and fun to shoot. I could never voluntarily get rid of all my guns to simplify my life. They are all unique and have a special place when I use them.

It seems to be a nice idea to get rid of all firearms except the minimum, but if you enjoy shooting and like to reload, the options are limitless and each gun is different and enjoyable.
Old 09-18-2019, 6:34 PM
Calguns Addict

I've been working on minimizing and think about it once in a while.

I started with calibers, I reduced them down to:
22 lr
9mm
38sp
357 mag
30-30
20 ga

Any guns that were not in those calibers were sold.

With the new regulations and ammo getting expensive I'll eventually not replace some and as it runs out and those guns will be sold.

At some point I'd like to settle on two 9mm pistols, one 20 ga, one 22 lr rifle, one 22 lr pistol, and my 357 mag rifle. That's 6 and that's about as minimalist as I think I'd be content with.
Old 09-18-2019, 6:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Sometimes I will say that I do fantasize about a minimalist setup. It would be just so much easier.

My gun collection gives me stress and anxiety for how many I have.

"What if I need to evacuate?"
"What if it gets stolen?"
"What if beto cuck wants to take them away?"
"What if red flag laws?"

etc etc...

It'd be so much easier to think in the single digits for convenience sake.
Old 09-18-2019, 6:41 PM

I believe am just that, lol. Ruger GP 100 and Glock 20sf with AA22lr conversion kit and a stormlake 40sw conversion barrel, pretty much covers my home defense and target shooting needs.
Old 09-18-2019, 6:57 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I have a minimum number of firearms I actually do serious drills and training with. But Iíll never have all the firearms I want because I am a collector and seriously into firearms, their history, function, operation etc. I have a reference library. I routinely grab something out of the library just to go shoot it. No shot timer, no worries about alphas or charlieís, just shoot it, enjoy it, appreciate its design and operation. Whether rifle or pistol. Just shoot it and enjoy it. I took my FAL and ptr G3 clone out the other day just to knock the crap out of steel targets from a bench. No running and gunning, no tactical reloads, just enjoyable trigger time.

I won a competition a couple years ago that involved transitioning to unknown firearms provided by the range during the course of fire. Having a deep knowledge of as many different guns as possible is a good thing in my book. Being handed an empty firearm that is totally a surprise and foreign to you and being able to quickly figure it out, get it loaded, and get hits on target with it is cool.

Shooting, collecting, and studying guns to me is just plain fun. If I had only one handgun Iím sure iíd be a better shooter, but then firearms and shooting probably wouldnít consume the lions share of my free time either. The main reason I participate in gun forums including calguns is to continue to learn and hopefully occasionally help someone else learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2019, 7:25 PM
Hooligan
CGN Contributor

What guns?

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid" -Han Solo

"A dull knife is as useless as the man who would dare carry it"
Old 09-18-2019, 7:34 PM

With or without serial numbers? Ones that are registered? Or home built 80 percenters? For every dealer bought or ppt? Then own Same gun/caliber built off the books?

Assuming Walking Dead scenario, which common guns are in that show? Ricks revolver? What caliber? The rest seem common calibers AR and AK and bolt action? Common post apocalypse guns lying around with common calibers, forget 40 cal, 10mm, anything 44 or 270, 300 Win mag....45 9mm 556, 30-06, any country 7.62x39 if you bail to OCONUS...
Old 09-18-2019, 7:44 PM

I don’t have any control over them. I think they multiply in my safes when I’m not looking. I’ve dug to the back of safe that I haven’t been into for a while and said to my self “where did that come from”.
Old 09-18-2019, 8:26 PM
Veteran Member

Dont worry I always have the MINIMUM number of firearms that I need on hand...
Old 09-18-2019, 8:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Well, I've tried. Twice before in my life I dumped my gun collections. Once -after first wife and I split. Second - to buy a house in California. I now have many more firearms than I'll ever need (or use) but I enjoy opening one of my many safes, and finding something I forgot I had! I seriously got into Single Action Army's last year and sold a few (mostly SKS's, Garands, P7's and carbines) I still have enough of those though. Now my SAA collection is reaching overload. God, I love this hobby!!!!
Old 09-18-2019, 9:07 PM

Iíve consolidated to five calibers. Made things a bit easier to keep track of.
Old 09-19-2019, 5:10 AM

I've pared down my guns to a few common, easy-to-obtain calibers, like .38/.357, 9mm and 22LR. Also sold or traded away anything that wasn't completely comfortable to use and fun to shoot. All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with what is left, and I don't really miss any of the guns that I've sold or traded away.
ďWhen governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.Ē
~Thomas Jefferson~
Old 09-19-2019, 11:13 AM

My small pistol collection donít shoot riffles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2019, 2:37 PM

Nope. Because if it gets that bad, I want enough to share amongst family, and just maybe a few close friends.
Old 09-19-2019, 2:42 PM

If 'minimalist' means 'as many as I can buy' then yes I've gone minimalist
Old 09-19-2019, 2:42 PM

noo
Old 09-19-2019, 3:13 PM
Veteran Member

I still want 10 more guns. But I try to keep it all to 9mm,45acp, 556, 308, 762x39, and then the milsurp stuff like 7.5 swiss and x54r. You see, I'm missing 22lr.
Old 09-19-2019, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittty View Post

22 lr
9mm
38sp
357 mag
30-30
20 ga
Kind of like my list just minus 357 magnum/38spl and add .223/556
Old 09-19-2019, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffiD View Post
If 'minimalist' means 'as many as I can buy' then yes I've gone minimalist

this.
Old 09-19-2019, 5:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223556 View Post
The bare minimum is a handgun and long gun in any category with at least 1000k rounds.
Then you build/tailor around that, to what your needs and wants are.

For me itís 1 sub compact handgun, 1 full size handgun, 1 semi auto rifle, 1 shotgun (pump/auto). Then perhaps something for long range (bolt gun)
You better buy 5 of each if you're going to use a million rounds.
Old 09-19-2019, 5:37 PM
Veteran Member

Yes. But I am sick in the head. So it’s down to the following

22LR
380ACP
38SPL
9mm
40 S&W
10mm
357 Sig
45 GAP
45 ACP

223 Rem
556 NATO
300 BLK

762x39
762x54

12g
Old 09-19-2019, 5:50 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittty View Post

22 lr
9mm
38sp
357 mag
30-30
20 ga
You have nothing with range much beyond 100 yards.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 09-19-2019, 8:33 PM

I’ve done a little bit of rationalization from time to time. Before the ammo law I eliminated my 45 ACPs in favor of Glock 9mm. I also own .357s for revolvers. I’m also a hunter and I reloader so I love to fiddle with different calibers but I can see the day when I scale it back to maybe 2 cartridges. They would be .30-06 and a smaller one like 7mm-08. My bird hunting guns are easier, honestly I could get by with 20 gauge alone but I own 3 guns in that gauge. For rimfire it would be my CZ .22s. I own a cabin and sometimes you have to kill pests

Current I have a lot though; .30-06, .280, .270, 7mm-08, .223 and .222, 17HMR and .22 LR, 12 and 20 gauge, .357, .44Mag and 9mm.

Last edited by FISHNFRANK; 09-19-2019 at 8:38 PM..
Old 09-19-2019, 9:26 PM

Each rifle has a pistol sibling, 22lr. Rifle and 22lr pistol. All others are compatible with US or common service weapons , so mags and parts are everywhere. P226, M9....AR, G3 & 12ga.
Minimalist and still fills all needs.
Old 09-19-2019, 9:45 PM
Calguns Addict

I am a minimalist.

I have, at the minimum, of one AK from each of the former Eastern Bloc countries.
Although not strictly Eastern Bloc, I'm still looking for North Korean AK though.

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.