Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:56 AM

Default No "Real I.D." can my wife buy me shells?

I just went into the local shop to get some trap and dove loads for the upcoming season. I was informed that even though I just got a new ID in May, since it isn't a california Real ID I cannot buy ammunition. I would need to get my social security card mailed from my parents and then apply for a real ID which will take 2-4 weeks to receive. Since the season starts in just over 2 weeks. Is it legal for my wife to buy me ammunition since she has the Real ID?
Old 08-13-2019, 10:58 AM

You can still buy ammo even without real i.d. unless of course that's not the only reason why you think you may be denied.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.O.A.R. View Post
You can still buy ammo even without real i.d. unless of course that's not the only reason why you think you may be denied.
My ID was renewed in May. My new ID says "federal limits apply" The shop clerk at two shops both said if it says "federal limits apply" they can't sell me ammo?
Old 08-13-2019, 11:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

this ammo law is for the birds!!!!
Old 08-13-2019, 12:45 PM

First You don't need a real ID to buy ammo, that part of the law got dropped off. Whoever told you that is not up to date.

Go to Walmart. If you have bought a gun in the last 5 years they do a background check on you which costs $1 and is quick and you walk out with your ammo.

If you haven't bought a gun in the last 5 years it then goes back to 16 years if you haven't moved, and your address hasn't changed. if you have moved then you will have to wait for a "complete background check" which will cost you $19 and and take up to a month to come back then you can pick up your ammo.

I was just told that they are coming back in a few days right now.

All this info was just told to me by MY LGS which actually knows what they are doing and can be taken as gospel.

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com
Old 08-13-2019, 1:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My understanding from fellow shooters is that my local Walmart is asking for real I.D or no ammo!!
Old 08-13-2019, 1:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

dros on ammo is 10 days unless undetermined then 30 days. Yes your wife can buy ammo.
Old 08-13-2019, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
dros on ammo is 10 days unless undetermined then 30 days. Yes your wife can buy ammo.
Wrong. Basic eligibility check is taking a couple days currently, on average. Also, there is no 30 days maximum for ammo, as there is for gun purchases.

Last edited by BagelBites; 08-13-2019 at 1:40 PM..
Old 08-13-2019, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
First You don't need a real ID to buy ammo, that part of the law got dropped off. Whoever told you that is not up to date.

Go to Walmart. If you have bought a gun in the last 5 years they do a background check on you which costs $1 and is quick and you walk out with your ammo.

If you haven't bought a gun in the last 5 years it then goes back to 16 years if you haven't moved, and your address hasn't changed. if you have moved then you will have to wait for a "complete background check" which will cost you $19 and and take up to a month to come back then you can pick up your ammo.

I was just told that they are coming back in a few days right now.

All this info was just told to me by MY LGS which actually knows what they are doing and can be taken as gospel.

Randy
Your LGS gospel is not correct. To use a Federal Limits Apply ID, the purchaser needs to also provide a supporting document, like a birth certificate or passport.

Also, it's not necessarily about when you last bought a gun, but rather if you have a gun in AFS, and whether or not your info is up to date in relation to that gun purchase.
Old 08-13-2019, 1:51 PM
Veteran Member

BagelBites, all the reasons mentioned above is exactly why I purchased ammo before all these lousy laws went into effect. They suck. Also, you have the same avatar I use on 24 hour campfire.com.
Old 08-13-2019, 2:14 PM

Can his wife buy ammo for him or not??
Old 08-13-2019, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyGSX View Post
I just went into the local shop to get some trap and dove loads for the upcoming season. I was informed that even though I just got a new ID in May, since it isn't a california Real ID I cannot buy ammunition. I would need to get my social security card mailed from my parents and then apply for a real ID which will take 2-4 weeks to receive. Since the season starts in just over 2 weeks. Is it legal for my wife to buy me ammunition since she has the Real ID?
As an adult you should have your Social Security card not your parents.
Why didn't you get a real ID back in May?

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain
Old 08-13-2019, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclerandy View Post
Straw purchase. You could look at it that way.

When and how she shoots it though is her prerogative.

MidLife - "Just look at the bird. And swing smoothly to the shot. "

CaptainDick - " Faster! Faster! Faster! Don't think!

Last edited by shovelon; 08-13-2019 at 3:04 PM..
Old 08-13-2019, 3:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Is it a straw purchase when parent buys ammo for their kids to shoot>? NO
Old 08-13-2019, 3:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Have her buy the ammo and go shoot it up!!! OH! and have fun.
Old 08-13-2019, 4:02 PM
Vendor/Retailer

There is no question on the ammo DROS that says anything about not giving away the ammo legally. There's nothing you sign that says "This ammo is for me and just me", etc.. so wife can buy and give to husband no problem.
web: http://ugimports.com/calguns / email: sales@ugimports.com
twitter: http://twitter.com/ugimports / phone: (510) 371-GUNS (4867)
FB: http://facebook.com/ugimports
NorCal Range Maps: http://ugimports.com/rangemaps

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!
Old 08-13-2019, 4:13 PM

Direct text from Prop 63

30306. (a) Any person, corporation, or firm, or other business enterprise who supplies, delivers, sells, or gives possession or control of, any ammunition to any person who he or she knows or using reasonable care should know is prohibited from owning, possessing, or having under custody or control, any ammunition or reloaded ammunition pursuant to subdivision (a) or (b) of Section 30305, is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment.(b)

Does not having a real ID make someone prohibited?
Old 08-13-2019, 4:14 PM
Veteran Member

I was told by Turners needed real ID even my military ID won’t work could bring passport I guess

Old 08-13-2019, 4:15 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahansom View Post
Direct text from Prop 63

30306. (a) Any person, corporation, or firm, or other business enterprise who supplies, delivers, sells, or gives possession or control of, any ammunition to any person who he or she knows or using reasonable care should know is prohibited from owning, possessing, or having under custody or control, any ammunition or reloaded ammunition pursuant to subdivision (a) or (b) of Section 30305, is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that fine and imprisonment.(b)

Does not having a real ID make someone prohibited?
No it does not

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!
Old 08-13-2019, 4:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Special View Post
I renewed last October brought birth certificate, SS card, passport & DD214 which DMV was clueless about but did not have a paper copy of gas/electric bill so they would not issue a real, at that time needed by October 2020 to fly I figured since no pl@ns to fly screw it. I have had a CA driver license for over 50 years

Old 08-13-2019, 4:25 PM

Quote:
As an adult I basically never need my social security card and its just fine locked in a safe back home. Secondly if I did have my social security card it would be locked up in my safe at my apartment right next to my passport, which is 4hrs away from where i'm at right now and for the next few weeks at my house.

I didn't get a real ID back in May because I didn't have time since I was going on a road trip. Also they don't tell you anywhere you can't buy ammo without one. All it said was you need one to fly after Oct 2020, so I didn't feel in a huge rush. Thanks for your post, it was very helpful!
Old 08-13-2019, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-ADC View Post
I renewed last October brought birth certificate, SS card, passport & DD214 which DMV was clueless about but did not have a paper copy of gas/electric bill so they would not issue a real, at that time needed by October 2020 to fly I figured since no pl@ns to fly screw it. I have had a CA driver license for over 50 years
You could have had a Real ID by following the instructions at the DMV site as to what documents you needed.

DD214 does nothing for DMV. If you had taken it to a VA resource office they would have given you the form needed to take to DMV if you wanted VET on your Real ID.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain
Old 08-13-2019, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-ADC View Post
I was told by Turners needed real ID even my military ID won’t work could bring passport I guess
Turners
AMMO link

― Mark Twain
Old 08-13-2019, 4:33 PM

Quote:
As an adult I basically never need my social security card and its just fine locked in a safe back home. Secondly if I did have my social security card it would be locked up in my safe at my apartment right next to my passport, which is 4hrs away from where i'm at right now and for the next few weeks at my house.

I didn't get a real ID back in May because I didn't have time since I was going on a road trip. Also they don't tell you anywhere you can't buy ammo without one. All it said was you need one to fly after Oct 2020, so I didn't feel in a huge rush. Thanks for your post, it was very helpful!
I love it when people make their one problems then get ****ty with others.
The Real ID issuance has been discussed over and over. It isn't our problem or the ammo sellers problem that you can't be an adult!

― Mark Twain
Old 08-13-2019, 4:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks it was a while back.

Old 08-13-2019, 4:38 PM

Laxammo

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2019, 4:45 PM

Does your wife have 1 firearm registered to her name or have purchased one within last few years? If not, she will have to pay $19 i think and wait many days to weeks
Old 08-13-2019, 4:56 PM

Quote:
I love it when people make their one problems then get ****ty with others.
The Real ID issuance has been discussed over and over. It isn't our problem or the ammo sellers problem that you can't be an adult!
I just get pissy when someone starts to tell me how I need to act as an adult. The social security card is a non issue, so people can mind their own ****ing business on that one.

Having the social, passport, etc doesn't change anything for the fact were 2 weeks out from dove season and I don't have a real ID. I'm not a gun fanatic, other hobbies take up my time. So I don't sit here and go over details of every law thats passing. Even after reading about the background checks at no point did I read anything about the real idea. So you can mozy right along now, you aren't helping.
Old 08-13-2019, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.O.A.R. View Post
Does your wife have 1 firearm registered to her name or have purchased one within last few years? If not, she will have to pay $19 i think and wait many days to weeks
Nope. At this point i'm giving up on dove season. Thanks a lot california you ****ing communists.
Old 08-13-2019, 4:58 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
I just get pissy when someone starts to tell me how I need to act as an adult. The social security card is a non issue, so people can mind their own ****ing business on that one.

Having the social, passport, etc doesn't change anything for the fact were 2 weeks out from dove season and I don't have a real ID. I'm not a gun fanatic, other hobbies take up my time. So I don't sit here and go over details of every law thats passing. Even after reading about the background checks at no point did I read anything about the real idea. So you can mozy right along now, you aren't helping.
You don't need a real ID to purchase ammo. Go somewhere else. You will need an additional supporting document though such as your SS card (your parents can mail it to you) or birth certificate, etc..

ETA: actually I'm not sure if SS proves citizenship..so probably passport / birth certificate are the correct docs...

I AM THE MAJORITY!!!

Last edited by ugimports; 08-13-2019 at 4:59 PM.. Reason: added eta
Old 08-13-2019, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Fed limits apply I'd and birth certificate, just did it this weekend...
Old 08-13-2019, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclerandy View Post
Spouses can give ammo to each other. See (10) below.

30312.**

(a)*(1)*Commencing January 1, 2018, the sale of ammunition by any party shall be conducted by or processed through a licensed ammunition vendor.

(2)*When neither party to an ammunition sale is a licensed ammunition vendor, the seller shall deliver the ammunition to a vendor to process the transaction. The ammunition vendor shall promptly and properly deliver the ammunition to the purchaser, if the sale is not prohibited, as if the ammunition were the vendor’s own merchandise. If the ammunition vendor cannot legally deliver the ammunition to the purchaser, the vendor shall forthwith return the ammunition to the seller. The ammunition vendor may charge the purchaser an administrative fee to process the transaction, in an amount to be set by the Department of Justice, in addition to any applicable fees that may be charged pursuant to the provisions of this title.

(b)*Commencing January 1, 2018, the sale, delivery, or transfer of ownership of ammunition by any party may only occur in a face-to-face transaction with the seller, deliverer, or transferor, provided, however, that ammunition may be purchased or acquired over the Internet or through other means of remote ordering if a licensed ammunition vendor initially receives the ammunition and processes the transaction in compliance with this section and Article 3 (commencing with Section 30342) of Chapter 1 of Division 10 of Title 4 of this part.

(c)*Subdivisions (a) and (b) shall not apply to the sale, delivery, or transfer of ammunition to any of the following:

(1)*An authorized law enforcement representative of a city, county, city and county, or state or federal government, if the sale, delivery, or transfer is for exclusive use by that government agency and, prior to the sale, delivery, or transfer of the ammunition, written authorization from the head of the agency employing the purchaser or transferee is obtained, identifying the employee as an individual authorized to conduct the transaction, and authorizing the transaction for the exclusive use of the agency employing the individual.

(2)*A sworn peace officer, as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, or sworn federal law enforcement officer, who is authorized to carry a firearm in the course and scope of the officer’s duties.

(3)*An importer or manufacturer of ammunition or firearms who is licensed to engage in business pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.

(4)*A person who is on the centralized list of exempted federal firearms licensees maintained by the Department of Justice pursuant to Article 6 (commencing with Section 28450) of Chapter 6 of Division 6 of this title.

(5)*A person whose licensed premises are outside this state and who is licensed as a dealer or collector of firearms pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.

(6)*A person who is licensed as a collector of firearms pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto, whose licensed premises are within this state, and who has a current certificate of eligibility issued by the Department of Justice pursuant to Section 26710.

(7)*An ammunition vendor.

(8)*A consultant-evaluator.

(9)*A person who purchases or receives ammunition at a target facility holding a business or other regulatory license, provided that the ammunition is at all times kept within the facility’s premises.

(10)*A person who purchases or receives ammunition from a spouse, registered domestic partner, or immediate family member as defined in Section 16720.

(11)*A person enrolled in the basic training academy for peace officers or any other course certified by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training, an instructor of the academy or course, or a staff member of the academy or entity providing the course, who is purchasing the ammunition for the purpose of participation or use in the course.

(d)*A violation of this section is a misdemeanor.
Old 08-13-2019, 5:17 PM

Ever since the Real ID started being issued in KA, it's been an absolute mess, the Feds slapped the CADMV for mishandling the requirements, the DMV, CADOJ and ATF issued conflicting and in the case of the DMV, outright false statements, and apparently it's still a MESS.

The ultimate answer is to collect the proper "papers" and get the Read ID - I went in a year after being issued an FLA with the necessary docs, and was issued a RealID, no charge, no hassle, thus no more headaches.... and there were several with the FLA license. Only cost me around $30 to get a shiny certified birth certificate, and took around 25 days to get it in the mail. Worth it to be done with the ever changing "opinions" that FFLs had to figure out, with mixed results!
Old 08-13-2019, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo2019 View Post
Fed limits apply I'd and birth certificate, just did it this weekend...
I read that a lot of stores aren't accepting anything but real ID. Both stores today said I needed real ID. I can find out tomorrow if a passport would work. I could probably have my wife mail that to me when she goes to the apartment next week.
Old 08-13-2019, 5:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

you can preach all the laws you want, as not needing a real id to purchase ammo, But in the real world stores are needing real id.
Old 08-13-2019, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whutsup40 View Post
you can preach all the laws you want, as not needing a real id to purchase ammo, But in the real world stores are needing real id.
I guess I'll find out tomorrow. But I'm guessing I won't be dove hunting this year.
Old 08-13-2019, 5:53 PM

Quote:
I read that a lot of stores aren't accepting anything but real ID. Both stores today said I needed real ID. I can find out tomorrow if a passport would work. I could probably have my wife mail that to me when she goes to the apartment next week.
ID (FED LIMITS APPLY), Birth certificate or valid passport. I just bought 300 rds at tuners this past weekend. They do an "instant" background check and charge you a dollar.
Old 08-13-2019, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo2019 View Post
ID (FED LIMITS APPLY), Birth certificate or valid passport. I just bought 300 rds at tuners this past weekend. They do an "instant" background check and charge you a dollar.
Cool for turners. I'll have to find out if my local stores will accept an passport. I haven't bought a gun I'm 7yrs. So the next issue will be how long the background check takes. But that's if I can even buy ammo.

Last edited by JonnyGSX; 08-13-2019 at 6:08 PM..
Old 08-13-2019, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagelBites View Post
Your LGS gospel is not correct. To use a Federal Limits Apply ID, the purchaser needs to also provide a supporting document, like a birth certificate or passport.

Also, it's not necessarily about when you last bought a gun, but rather if you have a gun in AFS, and whether or not your info is up to date in relation to that gun purchase.
The Limits ID is what you get if you apply for a real ID online, and yes you do need a supporting doc.

But you can still buy with a Regular ID just fine. Same rules apply.

Just the cornfusion we are seeing on this thread is what will get this law overturned. It was designed to do exactly what is happening. Disrupt the sale of ammo! Therefore it "Infringes" and will get shot down because of it.

Nobody knows what they are talking about including me, and that is the only real fact here! The DOJ is no help whatsoever. We called today with a question and they told us to talk to a lawyer!

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 08-13-2019 at 8:09 PM..
Old 08-13-2019, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whutsup40 View Post
My understanding from fellow shooters is that my local Walmart is asking for real I.D or no ammo!!
Yes