Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 12-13-2013, 8:10 AM

Default Dedicated 22 or conversion kit ......

Looking for something to shoot in 22 that is similar to my P226. I am looking at the Sig Mosquito and the Sig 22 conversion kit. After doing some research I'm having problems with both options. First the Mosquito seems to have some significant issues with ftf/fte. Looks like polishing the ramp and using good copper plated ammo fixes most of the issues. The conversion kit due to its lack of last round hold open there is the issue of possible damage to my 226 if I dry fire. Can I get some wisdom from the 22 guru's on the pros and cons of both. Thanks for any advice.
Old 12-13-2013, 8:38 AM

Conversion kits for all guns tend to be picky about ammo and cleanliness.

While the ergonomics and controls are not the same, I vote for an M&P-22 pistol. I used to carry / shoot a Sig P220 but concluded there are better, more ergonomic guns out there - like the M&P series.

The M&P .22 pistol is pretty awesome from all aspects. That is what I finally settled on. Great ergonomics, accurate, durable, reliable with a variety of ammo, and a good value. Extra mags are relatively inexpensive and holsters are readily available - they exterior dimensions of the .22 are essentially identical to those of the full size M&P 9mm. The transition form the .22 to centerfire is therefore seamless.

Rogers School uses these guns to good effect. In his Basic class, 12 of us shot about 20,000 rounds total or about 1600 rounds from each gun with essentially zero problems. After three days of shooting, we finally cleaned them. They were beyond filthy but still ran fine.
Old 12-13-2013, 8:46 AM
Banned

I was in the same boat and own a 226 and 228 so had to go with the Mosquito. And so far the Mosquito has shot 100% perfect, no issues at 150 rounds with a clean pistol.

If you read the instruction manual, keep the pistol lubed and clean- no problems. Love my new (used) mosquito.
Old 12-13-2013, 8:49 AM

thanks guys, good info.
Old 12-13-2013, 9:09 AM

I have a GSG 1911 and I love that gun, well over 10K rounds in stock configuration. I say stay away from the kits get the whole gun.
Old 12-13-2013, 9:16 AM
Calguns Addict

I would go dedicated.

I do not like to strip the gun at the range unless it's just separating AR upper/lower. Every time you do that there is a chance of some part goes missing. I dropped the slide stop for one of my 1911 once and it took me forever to find it LOL.
Old 12-13-2013, 9:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairtumor View Post
Looking for something to shoot in 22 that is similar to my P226. I am looking at the Sig Mosquito and the Sig 22 conversion kit. After doing some research I'm having problems with both options. First the Mosquito seems to have some significant issues with ftf/fte. Looks like polishing the ramp and using good copper plated ammo fixes most of the issues. The conversion kit due to its lack of last round hold open there is the issue of possible damage to my 226 if I dry fire. Can I get some wisdom from the 22 guru's on the pros and cons of both. Thanks for any advice.
I found the same thing when I was researching the Sig Mosquito, but decided to purchase it anyway. I haven't had any problems with mine either. I ran mini mags through it to begin with simply because that's all I had, but now, I have no issues with shooting the remington golden bullets through it.

If you're near orange county, I'll let you check mine out at the range.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:21 AM
tinyurl.com/yxk56hpf
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I was also in the same boat and decided to get a dedicated .22LR. Honestly, some conversion kits cost almost as much if not as much as a dedicated .22LR.

There is the argument that "you are familiar with the platform you use more often" but I just found myself happier with having the Ruger 22/45 Mk. III that I got, than having just a barrel and slide. I bought mine used here from a Calgunner so a conversion kit would have actually costed me more than the Ruger that I'm having fun with.

Try looking used, there should be some good deals out there if you're patient. Not like there's any pending handgun registration like long guns causing people to rush their buys and sells (like me and my new shotgun so I'm really just making fun of myself, har har har).

NRA Lifetime Member

Last edited by LateBraking; 12-13-2013 at 10:24 AM..
Old 12-13-2013, 10:26 AM

I recently bought a ruger 22/45 and have had nothing but problems. I've heard cci mini mags work good but I've tried 4 kinds of bulk ammo with no luck. I just got it back for ruger under warranty but haven't tested it yet. I'd get a dedicated 22 but I think I'd stay away from the ruger 22/45 for sure. I think conversion kits are pointless as well due to cost. Why wear out a 1k 1911 with a kimber conversion when you can get a GSG for a small fraction of the price and almost the same as a conversion?
Old 12-13-2013, 10:33 AM
Banned

Both...

I have Conversion Kits for My .45's and a dedicated Ruger MkIII Hunter 6 7/8" Fluted Barrel.
I plan on getting .22LR kits for my Glock 19 and Beretta 92/96.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

The conversion kit for the 226 is really pretty nice. The big problem is that extra magazines are crazy expensive. The big pro is that it's the same trigger pull etc as your real 226 so if you're working on the SA/SA transition or whatever it's perfect.

I don't see how dry firing with the conversion on would screw up anything in the main 226, it would just hurt the .22 firing pin or whatever the concern is. It replaces the whole slide so it's pretty independent. I've pulled the trigger on an empty chamber occasionally because of the no lock back issue and no damage so far - I think it's more like don't do it all the time.

That being said if you have a good supply of .22 ammo if you get a Ruger Mark III and a bunch of magazines and one of those speed loaders you can blow through a lot of rounds crazy fast. If that's what you need at this point in your development as a shooter it's pretty efficient.
Old 12-14-2013, 5:57 AM
Calguns Addict

I'm not real keen on the loose parts idea but since I got a new Colt
Govt with a light weight frame,I am going with a Colt conversion kit
on it! I have all the stuff I want on the 45 and a nice clean 3lb trigger pull
so I am going to be shooting a lot of 22.The Colt conversions are not
the best accuracy wise but are reliable with all 22 LR ammo,you do need
to consider cleaning after about 500 rds as the floating chamber will start
to gum up. With some secret work they can be made a little more accurate,
also. The Colt has last shot bolt hold open and adjustable sights. Pete

NOTE: For those using a Colt,do not dry fire the 22(you can and will break
the firing pin)AMHIK, use an MT case in the chamber!

NRA LIFE (1974) Psalm 46:10
I had a commission/USNR from 71-77 but never consider myself a Vet MyDad+4uncles/USMC/WW2/Korea/Vietnam. My Grandfather US Army WW1. No heroes,just regular folks--they were Veterans.

“Do not be deceived.God is not mocked. You will reap what you sow.”

Last edited by GM4spd; 12-24-2013 at 4:59 AM..
Old 12-23-2013, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

I use conversion kits in my 226. Ammo specific is the only downfall to it - CCI Mini Mags. I bought aftermarket parts to tweek the magazines so everything is GTG.

If your main purpose is to practice cheaply on the same or similar platform, I'm a firm believer of a kit. All the controls and trigger pulls are the same.

If there's a FTE or FTF, that's unfortunately the nature of some kits. Never had a problem with my SIG, AA (Glock), Beretta, Marvel (1911) or Ciener, if they are cleaned, maintained, and fed the right ammo. I find I can go through a TapRackClear drill more instinctively because of that.

Active Junky / Dvor
TARGET SPORT USA Prime Ammo referral - PM me

Stuff for sale:
Packer Stock (folding 10/22 stock)
Beretta Silver Pigeon SL2 Shotgun (Pump)
Kenwood Receiver
Old 12-24-2013, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgrubb View Post
Conversion kits for all guns tend to be picky about ammo and cleanliness.

While the ergonomics and controls are not the same, I vote for an M&P-22 pistol. I used to carry / shoot a Sig P220 but concluded there are better, more ergonomic guns out there - like the M&P series.

The M&P .22 pistol is pretty awesome from all aspects. That is what I finally settled on. Great ergonomics, accurate, durable, reliable with a variety of ammo, and a good value. Extra mags are relatively inexpensive and holsters are readily available - they exterior dimensions of the .22 are essentially identical to those of the full size M&P 9mm. The transition form the .22 to centerfire is therefore seamless.
+100 Got an M&P in jail right now.
for 100 bucks over a conversion kit you can have an awesome full size training pistol, and you don't have to gunk up your centerfire with dirty rimfire ammo.
Old 12-26-2013, 9:34 AM
Veteran Member

Get a dedicated 22. All the money and time spent on making the conversion kits to work perfectly negate all savings. Besides, what's wrong with having an extra gun?

I can tell you the problem of using a conversion kit....you are short one gun.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

Dedicated