Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 12-08-2015, 11:07 PM

Default 308 loads

Okay, I haven't been loading these for very long, so I don't really have much information to go by, but has anyone ever really seen pressure signs on their 308 cases? I'm not talking about OC loads, just those above 45 grns (Varget, H4895, IMR4895) to 2.80 OAL. Only asking because I've been loading lots of rounds lately and have heard of nothing indicating those rounds to be unsafe. They are loaded for several rifles, both semi-auto and bolt. ????? Have loaded many rounds n the past and none have ever shown signs of excessive pressure in this round.

Rifles loaded for are a Rem 700, Win 70, Sav and a MP10
Old 12-09-2015, 3:59 AM

Have you checked your manual? Is 45gr, of the three powders listed, over max load data for the bullets you use?

Look for flat primers, case head swipes, etc..Work up loads very carefully and never assume if one load is fine in one gun it'll be fine in another.

I have seen pressure issues in some of my .308 loads. The first indicator for my bolt rifle is very heavy bolt lift. I usually run lighter loads in my semi autos.

Last edited by rosenbaumtravis; 12-09-2015 at 4:02 AM..
Old 12-09-2015, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHeavyHitter View Post
What is an "OC" load?
I would like to know too...?
Old 12-09-2015, 4:08 AM
Banned

Never heard of an "OC" load - what is this?

Also assuming that 45gr is your charge weight, it's still impossible to give any analysis as this could be safe with a lighter weight bullet but still be unsafe with a heavier bullet..
Old 12-09-2015, 4:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Yes. I've seen flat primers and had primer pockets get loose after maybe four reloads.
PPU brass seems to not have many reloads in them for me.
CBC brass is thicker and I've adjusted down accordingly.
Even slight adjustment of OAL has shown me signs of over pressure.
As already stated, need the whole recipie to comment.
Old 12-09-2015, 6:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostersgt View Post
Okay, I haven't been loading these for very long, so I don't really have much information to go by, but has anyone ever really seen pressure signs on their 308 cases? I'm not talking about OC loads, just those above 45 grns (Varget, H4895, IMR4895) to 2.80 OAL. Only asking because I've been loading lots of rounds lately and have heard of nothing indicating those rounds to be unsafe. They are loaded for several rifles, both semi-auto and bolt. ????? Have loaded many rounds n the past and none have ever shown signs of excessive pressure in this round.

Rifles loaded for are a Rem 700, Win 70, Sav and a MP10
What weight bullet are you using ?
Old 12-09-2015, 8:12 AM

I think your approach should be addressed. Don't look on the internet for proof a load is safe. Work up the charge weight in your rifle to confirm the weight of powder is ok. There is much testing, data, and recommendations in the reloading manuals and on internet sites such as Ogden Powder (manufacturer of Varget and H4895). Don't believe me if I tell you I haven't seen pressure signs at 45 grains. Also, my rifle is not your rifle. I'm not intending to be sharp but only state how you need to do some research and testing with your hobby to be safe.
Old 12-09-2015, 9:35 AM
Veteran Member

There was a really good article posted a while back about a guy who took a friend's "Palma load" of 45.5gr of varget under a 155. The guy made up a few test rounds and blew up his gun.

With the 308 on the edge of pressure the bearing surface of different 155s, capacity of different brass cases, heat of different primers, and pressure differences in different lots of varget can stack up to wreck your gun.

Follow commonly accepted practices of developing good safe loads, there is no reason to hot load a 155 .308. People clean the 1000 yard target without hot loading the 308.
Old 12-09-2015, 9:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenbaumtravis View Post
I would like to know too...?
Probably "over charge"

Bullet weight and case capacity matter here as well as OAL. Since you don't specify any of that info., the best I can say is that load seems on the high side unless you're using really light bullets. I usually run 155gr and don't charge that high because my accuracy loads are a lot lower than that.

Also, I run lower charges in semi-auto's to prevent damage to the rifle, although I don't run an MP10.

I would bet you're getting flattened primers at that charge, but maybe not case failures. You should learn how to read you cases for signs of case head separation. Plenty of online discussions about that online.

Last edited by kouye; 12-09-2015 at 9:48 AM..
Old 12-09-2015, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

I assume it's "over capacity" as in a compressed load.
Old 12-09-2015, 1:52 PM

45 grains of IMR 4895 behind 168 MK is over the maximum according to Sierra. I use Sierra manual as a bible, and it served me very well.
Old 12-09-2015, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenbaumtravis View Post
Have you checked your manual? Is 45gr, of the three powders listed, over max load data for the bullets you use?

Look for flat primers, case head swipes, etc..Work up loads very carefully and never assume if one load is fine in one gun it'll be fine in another.

I have seen pressure issues in some of my .308 loads. The first indicator for my bolt rifle is very heavy bolt lift. I usually run lighter loads in my semi autos.
Thanks for all of the replies. I haven't had any issues with the rifles I have in this state. 45 grns is a middle of the book load. I'm well aware of what pressure signs look like and have read several loading manuals. I was just curious if anyone has seen any signs of excessive pressure using that load in their rifles. I don't have the ability to work up loads for my other rifles, as they are in other states. That's why I posed the original question.

Both of my books (Speer, Hornady) list identical load information for all three powders I use. 42-47grns 150 grain SPBT FMJ OAL 2.8 CCI 200 primers. The only differences is the FPS and they're all pretty close.

Last edited by roostersgt; 12-09-2015 at 3:30 PM..
Old 12-09-2015, 5:40 PM
Internet Warrior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

An important consideration, as mentioned above by others is the weight/composition of the projectile. You are looking at powder charges, when the specific projectile used will have a lot of influence. 308 is commonly shot with bullets from 110 to 180gr.

On the heavy side (150-180gr), I say go with Varget or 4064. In these weight ranges, the 308 generally shoots well at full capacity and will also tend to be the most accurate. You shouldn't really have pressure issues with those powders unless you are giving it a fair amount of compression.
Old 12-09-2015, 7:10 PM

^^^this, 4064 and 4895 have been my money makers in .308 with 155's and 175's. You shouldn't have any problems. 45 grains seems a tad high from my notes for a 150 but it sounds like you're not seeing pressure issues so.... looks to me like everything is just fine.
Old 12-09-2015, 7:25 PM
Veteran Member

Palma shooters load a 155 at 47grVarget,Lapua brass with a small rifle primer pocket provides for a little more capacity.
The above load is for a specialized purpose and not recommened.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:03 PM

My most frequent pressure sign is a sticky bolt so I never get to the point of seeing it on the cases . I've had some pretty flat primers .

If I may ask , Why are you asking the question . It seems like one of those questions a persons asks when that isn't the real question they want answered . I feel there is more to this question then you're letting on . If your load is mid charge for the bullet . I'd doubt anyone has seen pressure signs on the brass . Even if there are a few guys getting high pressures . You're going to have to get lucky and hope they read this thread .

Anyone else find it sad that those who preach tolerance CAN'T allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that they do not necessarily like or agree with) without interference.

I write almost everything in a jovial manner regardless of content . If that's not how you took it please try again
Old 12-10-2015, 10:35 AM

It wasn't a trick question. I'm curious as to whether or not anyone had experienced case issues in their guns with that load, as I, so far, have not. Since I'm trying to load for other guns I've not used hand loads in, I thought it would be prudent to ask around. Other members of loading sites have indicated pressure signs at around 45grns in some cases. I'm leaning toward being on the safe side and calling 44grns good, just to be sure.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

If you are loading for other guns then stay on the safe side. How much do you know about the other guns? If all you know is that they are .308 then you need to be at least 10% below a book max load. If you know the freebore, bore diameter, chamber reamer used then you can more reasonably design a load.