Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 05-19-2013, 4:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Answered

So there's a certain gun that will be coming out in the next few months and I want it.

The company has no indication of producing it in an AR pistol set up only in SBR.

My question is, can an out of state FFL receive an SBR and pin a fake can to it and then ship it here to CA? (we are assuming it will have BB and all that junk as well)

When an SBR leaves the factory, is it registered with the government or logged in a certain way so that it can only be an SBR and not a regular rifle?

In the Calguns pics sub forum I've seen several rifles like this. Particularly Krink's and Dracos that have fake can's permanently attached/pinned. Can't tell whether these are home builds or were pinned by an FFL before taking possession.

I'd like to aim this discussion towards out of state FFL's since I know SBR's are illegal here in CA so they can't even accept them without getting in trouble unless they have special permits or you're an elite of some kind.

Last edited by FNH5-7; 07-25-2013 at 10:02 PM..
Old 05-19-2013, 4:43 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt-45 View Post
So there's a certain gun that will be coming out in the next few months and I want it.

The company has no indication of producing it in an AR pistol set up only in SBR.

My question is, can an out of state FFL receive an SBR and pin a fake can to it and then ship it here to CA? (we are assuming it will have BB and all that junk as well)

When an SBR leaves the factory, is it registered with the government or logged in a certain way so that it can only be an SBR and not a regular rifle?
federally, one can take a registered SBR and convert it a standard Title I rifle by permanently extending the barrel to 16" and making sure it is over 26" OAL. At that point, they can notify the NFA branch that it is no longer an SBR and ATF will cancel the SBR registration. At that point, it is no longer a federally-defined SBR and can be possessed/transfered like any standard rifle.

Whether or not CA would try to claim it is still a CA SBR since at one point in its life it was an SBR, I dunno.

Quote:
In the Calguns pics sub forum I've seen several rifles like this. Particularly Krink's and Dracos that have fake can's permanently attached/pinned. Can't tell whether these are home builds or were pinned by an FFL before taking possession.
those start as pistols and then go to rifles. completely different legal path than going from SBR > title I rifle.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

Last edited by ke6guj; 05-19-2013 at 4:45 PM..
Old 05-19-2013, 4:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
federally, one can take a registered SBR and convert it a standard Title I rifle by permanently extending the barrel to 16" and making sure it is over 26" OAL. At that point, they can notify the NFA branch that it is no longer an SBR and ATF will cancel the SBR registration. At that point, it is no longer a federally-defined SBR and can be possessed/transfered like any standard rifle.

Whether or not CA would try to claim it is still a CA SBR since at one point in its life it was an SBR, I dunno.

those start as pistols and then go to rifles. completely different legal path than going from SBR > title I rifle.
These are considered registered SBR's the moment they leave the factory? or their not considered registered until your paperwork is approved and all that?
Old 05-19-2013, 5:01 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt-45 View Post
These are considered registered SBR's the moment they leave the factory? or their not considered registered until your paperwork is approved and all that?
if the manufacturer built it up as an SBR, it is considered an SBR the moment they make it. They have to notify ATF that an SBR was made within 48-hours of making it. It is then "on the books" as an SBR while still at the factory. They then have to get permission to transfer it to whoever buys it from them. It is then registered to that entity (probably an NFA dealer or distrbutor). This then continues on and on every time it is sold to someone else.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:32 PM
Calguns Addict

^^ That answers my question completely. Thanks