Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 11-30-2015, 6:15 PM

Default Any reason not to refurbish Garands like these?

Hey all,

I was home for Thanksgiving and found a stash in the back of my dad's safe. Back some time in '05 there was a grip of garands found in Albania or something and they were sold through CMP. They were considered "rack" grade or less if I remember correctly. My dad got four of them for about $900 (that what he told me at least) and they aren't anything too pretty. All the furniture and parts were mismatched, one didn't have a front sight, etc. Here's my question, is there any reason to keep them "original" ? We cleaned off as much of the cosmoline as we could and took them to the range back when we first got them (I was in high school then). They don't cycle too well and the bores aren't too pretty. The one pictured below the stock is rotting in certain areas and there is real bad pitting on the receiver under the stock.

I would like to take them one at a time and refinish the stocks, sand blast and refinish the metal, and replace sights and barrels as needed. Just wanted to make sure I'm not committing any major milsurp foul by doing so. I figured at around $225 bucks a pop it's not going to depreciate the value and my dad said he would much rather have solid shooting range toys over dilapidated safe pieces.

Just wanting thoughts and opinions before I take the plunge on this one.

WTB: AMD 65 parts kit with original barrel

Interested in a Front Sight Diamond membership? PM me.
Old 11-30-2015, 6:19 PM
Veteran Member

They came from Greece and were $295 as was mine that I selected while at Camp Perry in 2006.
I turned mine into a match rifle.Its a low 6digit that originally came with a grenade sight mount on the stock.Stock was cracked and sold it for $40.
Come to the Richmond Gun Club highpower match this weekend.Bring a couple and have a good time.

Last edited by highpower790; 11-30-2015 at 6:22 PM..
Old 11-30-2015, 6:33 PM

I'd way rather own one as is than refinish. Sell to me for higher than $225.

But in regards to your actual question, it is extremely likely that they aren't as issued anyway. There is no extra collectability unless it is a correct grade or higher. So refinish away. It happens all day every day and seems to be acceptable in the Garand circle as long as it isn't a correct, as opposed to every other firearm in existence. Garand folks are a special bunch.
Old 11-30-2015, 7:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IeatPi View Post
I'd way rather own one as is than refinish. Sell to me for higher than $225.

But in regards to your actual question, it is extremely likely that they aren't as issued anyway. There is no extra collectability unless it is a correct grade or higher. So refinish away. It happens all day every day and seems to be acceptable in the Garand circle as long as it isn't a correct, as opposed to every other firearm in existence. Garand folks are a special bunch.
IF there is a low numbered receiver with correct dated barrel that alone could bring close to $1000 at auction, ask me how I know.
Old 11-30-2015, 7:56 PM

OK. Well then my offer to buy especially still stands. haha

OK. So, check the date of the barrel and see if it is correct to the rcvr. If not, AND they don't have legit cartouche stocks, or blood soaked rags from dead NATZI ESSESS, and it isn't correct, then you can safely refinish. Maybe.
Old 11-30-2015, 8:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If research doesn't lead you to believe it's an extraordinary historical piece, go for it.

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Old 11-30-2015, 8:29 PM

Yeah, Greek rack grades for $295. Had one. Sold it. They might need new springs. Might need a barrel. Mine had a REALLY NASTY Greek beech wood replacement stock.

But the receiver on mine seemed to be in great shape. Cycled reliably as a Swiss watch. Grouped like an AK-47 on full auto at 100 yards...

Probably worth a new barrel (if needed), better stock, and a few other parts.

Crunch
Old 11-30-2015, 8:45 PM

Make a mini g
Old 11-30-2015, 9:07 PM
Calguns Addict

I had a rack grade just like it.

Sent it to DGR and paid stupid money for Dean to install new barrel, fit new stock, replace all springs, repark all metal parts, and do a JCG trigger job.
It is basically a new rifle. Shoots like a new rifle too.

I am happy. Before, it patterned like a shotgun at 100 yds and wept oil from the stock after 20 rds.
Now it is all good......
Old 11-30-2015, 9:21 PM
Calguns Addict

DO NOT TOUCH THE WOOD if the stocks are USGI. Get new stocks and rebuild them, like they did in the army and like they still do at the CMP. The CMP rebuilds rifles left and right thats how they come up with their CMP Specials. I'd take the worst of the bunch and totally rebuild it with a new match barrel.

Don't argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. I don't respond to posts/posters that aren't worth responding to.
Old 11-30-2015, 9:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

How do they shoot????

If they are Mis matched they will have minimal collector value.... I would verify how well they shoot before making any decisions on remodeling....

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 11-30-2015, 10:03 PM

As everyone has said, mismatched rifles are fine to refinish.

And if you're going to refinish one, may as well do a good job of it! Match grade barrel and a new stock fitted to your length of pull and dominant hand is how I'd personally start, but if you want to refinish it well, it's your rifle.

Custom building rifles is an expensive pastime but it really is a fun one
So I was driving home from the range and I noticed that the scent of warm steel, burnt gunpowder and lukewarm coffee combined and smelled oddly of... Peanut butter?! Man, the Hoppe's is going to my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR.44 View Post
Rose, you're sick dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmybacon43 View Post
I like to call us the "Nighttime association of Law abiding and moral fellows"
Or NALAMF for short.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontJames View Post
What do you consider long range?
Take half of a binocular, tape it to your rifle.