Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 07-07-2019, 7:43 AM
Veteran Member

Default Ruger Mk IV series opinion?

Looking at a MK IV series Target, but can't decide "threaded bbl( (cheaper right now on close out) than standard non threaded bbl model.

I'm in NM so Roster is non issue, looking for opinion, threaded vs non threaded.

Doubt if I'd ever need or get a suppressor for it, but who knows what they cost? I might though.

Can also get the "Standard" Luger looking model even cheaper but I like adjustable sights (crappy eyes) and with the Target model the front sight can easily be replaced with a fiberoptic.

Thoughts???
Old 07-07-2019, 7:49 AM
RSG Minion, Senior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Hunter model instead of Luger version?

https://www.ruger.com/products/markIVHunter/models.html

Pricier, but well balanced.

(No suppressor I think)
Old 07-07-2019, 8:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv View Post

(No suppressor I think)
Yeah a little pricier fer sure, had my hands on the Target NON threaded bbl blued version at over priced Cabela's here in ABQ last week, it felt good.

Can pickup the Target Model blued frame, stainless bbl version threaded bbl right now online for $409, free shipping+$15 transfer fee and no sales tax. So tempting!!!!!

Any "drawbacks" to having a threaded bbl???? Never dealt with the issue before. Banned anywhere, even without suppressor, in case I want to travel with this pistol?
Old 07-07-2019, 8:39 AM
RSG Minion, Senior

I believe you can own a threaded barrel in California but you cannot have it assembled to a gun, but maybe someone better informed will chime in.
Old 07-07-2019, 8:45 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Like the OP, I’m not in CA and I would buy the threaded model. It is more versatile for eventual quiet use.
Old 07-07-2019, 8:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

(No suppressor I think)
I don't shoot a MK IV, but shoot a MK I in competition as a kid. The bull barrel is what you want.

This ^ Hunter is worth the extra price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 07-07-2019, 8:52 AM
Calguns Addict

The threaded would be illegal in CA on a semi auto with detachable mag (don't believe rimfires are exempt) but legal in most other areas near NM. And an extra non threaded barrel upper would be cost prohibitive. Threaded looks fine with the thread nut attached. Rabbit hunters here use suppressors on .22lr.

Last edited by Dan_Eastvale; 07-07-2019 at 8:54 AM..
Old 07-07-2019, 8:54 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

Ruger MK IV Target, probably the single hardest handgun to reassemble the first time or two of all handguns I've owned.
Old 07-07-2019, 8:59 AM
RSG Minion, Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorFranko View Post
Ruger MK IV Target, probably the single hardest handgun to reassemble the first time or two of all handguns I've owned.
I thought they made their mark 4 to be very easy?
I know my mark 2 and 3 are a pain, especially the newer Mark 3.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Or every time lol
Old 07-07-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I thought they made their mark 4 to be very easy?
I know my mark 2 and 3 are a pain, especially the newer Mark 3.
MkIV is super easy to assemble.

Get the threaded barrel(since you can), every gun should have a threaded barrel.
I have the MkIV Hunter and it has been awesome.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
MK 4 is a one button take down, do you mean the earlier Mk III series?
Old 07-07-2019, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

Well here's what I'm looking at:

https://www.centerfiresystems.com/p-...20be-127993257

And thanks for all the insightful opinions!

So "Threaded bbl" WITH thread cover/nut in place would be illegal in CA?
Just checking, can always leave it home and bring something else!
Old 07-07-2019, 12:43 PM
RSG Minion, Senior

The thread cover would have to be welded in place.

Soooo...

Buy one of each!
Old 07-07-2019, 12:48 PM
NRA Member, CRPA Member,
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghauler View Post
So "Threaded bbl" WITH thread cover/nut in place would be illegal in CA?
Just checking, can always leave it home and bring something else!
Only if it's welded in place.

I haven't shot the Mark IV, but I have a non-threaded barrel SW22, and I have also shot my dad's (in Florida) threaded barrel SW22 with a suppressor.

You're going to want the threaded barrel and a suppressor. Just leave it in New Mexico if you come to California.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I really like the slabside competition just like I had with my Mark 3. I think the Mark 4 would be even better with the easier takedown, easier cleaning, and I would be a lot more apt to using it
Old 07-07-2019, 1:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombadillo View Post
I really like the slabside competition just like I had with my Mark 3. I think the Mark 4 would be even better with the easier takedown, easier cleaning, and I would be a lot more apt to using it
Yeah I'm glad I waited all these years to pull the trigger on a Ruger MK series!!
Just from the takedown aspect.

Actually did have a MKIII 22/45, but sold it before shooting it, another fella wanted it more than me!

Last edited by aghauler; 07-07-2019 at 1:22 PM..
Old 07-07-2019, 1:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by champu View Post
Only if it's welded in place.

I haven't shot the Mark IV, but I have a non-threaded barrel SW22, and I have also shot my dad's (in Florida) threaded barrel SW22 with a suppressor.

You're going to want the threaded barrel and a suppressor. Just leave it in New Mexico if you come to California.
Ok thanks for that clarification, order has been placed! Should be here sometime next week, glad I could get the stainless upper!
Old 07-07-2019, 1:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The thread cover would have to be welded in place.

Soooo...

Buy one of each!

Never know when a "deal" may come along, this one came as a "close out" surprise!

https://www.centerfiresystems.com/p-...20be-127993257

I might even consider the Standard model as as second unit, but then short or long bbl?????? I kinda like the shorter bbl for that model, more of the Luger look fer me!

Last edited by aghauler; 07-07-2019 at 1:26 PM..
Old 08-19-2019, 5:56 PM

Cannot advise if you want a threaded barrel or not. But can help with the old eyes statement you made. Open sights are near useless for my old set now. I have a MKIII Target Stainless that I sat a Vortex Venom on top of. Man I tell you. I should have discovered these Red Dots sooner. A little pricey. But the Venoms have a unconditional, fully transferable lifetime warranty.

I bought mine used complete with the box and all accs shipped for 150.00. Best money I have ever spent regarding being able to shoot again. Otherwise new they run right at 230.00.

As far as MKIII disassembly, yes they are a pain if you do not know the tricks. But I can strip and reassemble mine in a few minutes. No you should not really have to know "tricks" to breakdown your handgun. It was a just a poor design by Ruger. But with know how and practice they are pretty easy. Once you know how to do it. You do not forget.

The stainless is a very good choice over the blued version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mkiii venom.jpg (96.9 KB, 35 views)
Old 08-19-2019, 6:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR22 View Post
Cannot advise if you want a threaded barrel or not. But can help with the old eyes statement you made. Open sights are near useless for my old set now. I have a MKIII Target Stainless that I sat a Vortex Venom on top of. Man I tell you. I should have discovered these Red Dots sooner. A little pricey. But the Venoms have a unconditional, fully transferable lifetime warranty.

I bought mine used complete with the box and all accs shipped for 150.00. Best money I have ever spent regarding being able to shoot again. Otherwise new they run right at 230.00.

As far as MKIII disassembly, yes they are a pain if you do not know the tricks. But I can strip and reassemble mine in a few minutes. No you should not really have to know "tricks" to breakdown your handgun. It was a just a poor design by Ruger. But with know how and practice they are pretty easy. Once you know how to do it. You do not forget.
The stainless is a very good choice over the blued version.
Went ahead with the stainless threaded bbl just incase I can come up with the $$$$ fer a suppressor in the future, , have had it to the range just for function check once already have rail and red dot on order. Might also consider the fiberoptic front sight as an option.

Nice pic of yer pistol thanks, always nice to actually see how people do things!
Picked up 3 extra stainless mags at $17 ea also.

I just checked the link I posted and they've popped the price up over $460 from the $404 that I got mine at!

Last edited by aghauler; 08-19-2019 at 6:36 PM..
Old 08-20-2019, 4:52 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR22 View Post
Take out the mag disco & put in the Tandemkross hammer bushing & it becomes a MKII as far as disassembly goes. It will also take the trigger pull from "Meh" to "WOW!"

I liked it so much I did all four of my MKIIIs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 08-21-2019, 4:52 PM

Yes I already have the Mag Disconnect removed using the Bushing. Removing the disconnect also lets the mags fly out of the Pistol. And seems to make inserting them much more smooth and positive..

I also removed the plunger and spring from the slide lock so you can just pull the bolt back slightly and chamber the round without having to manually work the bolt release lever. Which is a royal pain before before the mod. I think alot of people call that mod, the slingshot.

The MKIII is a fine little pistol, once it is "fixed" of the curses Ruger put on it.

No problem showing the pic Aghauler.

Last edited by AR22; 08-21-2019 at 4:54 PM..
Old 09-14-2019, 9:45 PM

I'm sure I will get disparaging remarks about this question, but is there any way to attach a rail to this fine pistol? Preferably under the barrel ...
Old 09-14-2019, 10:00 PM

Good you went with the threaded version. 22 cans run about half what a center-fire can runs, and plenty that work well. The last 2 cans I bought took 10 to 11 months for the tax stamp.
With Black Friday coming, they tend to run deals on center-fire cans where you buy a can and get a free rimfire can.
Silencer Shop makes it super easy if you find a local dealer who has their kiosk to do the efile. Sign up for their newsletter for the deals.
https://www.silencershop.com/
Old 09-15-2019, 12:27 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I believe you can own a threaded barrel in California but you cannot have it assembled to a gun, but maybe someone better informed will chime in.
Ruger MK1/2/3/4 series pistols have the barrel screwed into the reciever and it's not user removable.
It would be difficult to have a threaded barrel Ruger MK series pistol in CA and have it be legal.
Old 09-15-2019, 7:31 AM

Get the threaded barrel and throw a compensator on there. You can thank me later.

http://maddmacsprecisiontactical.com...e-litereg.html

Old 09-15-2019, 7:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The barrel is part of the upper which is the serialized part, so swapping barrels might be as well as swapping guns. While I’m a proponent of threaded barrels and suppressors in general, for the Mk IV, if use in CA is ever a possibility, I’d get the non threaded model.

Been waiting for the Pac Lite IV TSS integrally suppressed upper to hit street prices. Used to fantasize about the Amphibian upper until I decided I won’t spend that kind of money for a 22 and 10 months of waiting.

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 09-15-2019, 9:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Eastvale View Post
The threaded would be illegal in CA on a semi auto with detachable mag (don't believe rimfires are exempt) but legal in most other areas near NM. And an extra non threaded barrel upper would be cost prohibitive. Threaded looks fine with the thread nut attached. Rabbit hunters here use suppressors on .22lr.
The upper on the Ruger Std, MKI II III and the new IV has the serial number not the grip frame. Get the threaded one just in case. In CA you need to pin or tack weld a thread protector on to make it legal.

You can get a can from Ruger https://ruger.com/micros/silent-sr/index.html

Last edited by M1NM; 09-15-2019 at 9:36 AM..
Old 09-15-2019, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

This is what I ended up with have only had it out for a quick run at the range.
Thanks to all for the advice and ideas, yeah the suppressors for these are not that expensive, I was kinda surprised! So can do a compensator or suppressor or not, have options now!

Old 09-15-2019, 5:13 PM

Very nice!
Old 09-15-2019, 5:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes View Post
Very nice!
Thanks, the price made the difference, plus advice from Cal gunners. Price was $404 from Centerfire Systems. Non threaded or blued was more expensive! I see Classic has the same pistol now at about $560 I think!