Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 10-22-2019, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

Interesting. I shoot Benellis down in Mexico and don’t enjoy the recoil. Friend has a Benelli and it’s doing the Benelli “click” so he’s replacing springs, trying to solve the problem.

If there is any way to go shoot the ones you are interested in that would probably help you make up your mind.

If you’re in the Sac area you can shoot my a300 and V3.
Old 10-22-2019, 4:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecalguns View Post
OP. FWIW, I own: A300, Franchi affinity, Stoeger M3000, Remington V3, Remington 1100, 1187.
But for fun I still pick up the Franchi.
Wow, that's quite a cross comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meno377 View Post
I second what FG said about the Franchi vs the A300. I own both of them also and there is no comparison. The only problem is getting a Franchi for $599. One added thing on the Franchi is that it's an inertia shotgun. Some people might prefer a gas system over an inertia system.
Inertia over gas? Another factor to understand....
thanks, meno377!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATEWA View Post

If there is any way to go shoot the ones you are interested in that would probably help you make up your mind.

If you’re in the Sac area you can shoot my a300 and V3.
Thanks for the offer NATEWA!

I've already been reading reviews of the Rem 1100, Rem V3, Stoeger M3000, A300 and A400. Will look more into the Affinity. I think the best thing for me for now, to do is definitely see as many as I can, then shoulder them, then shoot em--time permitted.

Paring it all down, my single primary goal is basically to have a single shotgun solution for Hunting (birds, boars, deer? bear?). After that, the clays/trap/sport shooting. It's not possible for the higher end--usually just go and buy another shotgun it seems. Most likely not anyway--with a barrel swap or kit--probably doesn't make sense. I don't know if it can be done with one, but I'll see if I can get as many of them with one.

Going to have to revisit my thinking.

Thank you everyone for sharing your opinions, experience, expertise input... Definitely helps me.
Old 10-22-2019, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Ideally I'd like to have a single, do-it-all kind of shotgun, works for clays, hunting, etc.
Quote:
my single primary goal is basically to have a single shotgun solution for Hunting (birds, boars, deer? bear?). After that, the clays/trap/sport shooting. It's not possible for the higher end--usually just go and buy another shotgun it seems. Most likely not anyway--with a barrel swap or kit--probably doesn't make sense. I don't know if it can be done with one, but I'll see if I can get as many of them with one.
Quote:
Going to have to revisit my thinking.
It is time to revisit your thinking. If you really do want one shotgun that will do everything, and do it well on a moderate budget, then what you really should consider is a Remington 870 Wingmaster 3". Not an Express, but a Wingmaster. Not a 2-3/4" or a 3-1/2", but a 3". Not any other pump gun, just a Wingmaster. New or used, it is the single best value on an all-around shotgun. You can easily fit different barrels with different lengths and rib heights for different games. Rifled slug barrels are readily available. Scope mounts are readily available. You can easily fit different stocks with different dimensions. It is dead nuts reliable, easy to strip and clean, easy to find parts and accessories for. It's not sexy, it's not tacticool, it's not Italian, it just plain works. And don't listen to people who tell you that no one shoots pumps in competition. That's completely irrelevant for your stated desires. You are a long way from being a serious competitor, and shooting an 870 will make you a better shooter and hunter.
Old 10-22-2019, 8:58 PM
Veteran Member

Single “do it all” pump shotgun on the cheap - Remington 870.

Single “do it all” semi auto shotgun - Benelli M2.

“Do it all” for me = home defense, birds/clays, and rifled slug barrel.
Old 10-22-2019, 9:11 PM
小さな女性
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: (34.2283° N, 118.5358° W), (33.6700° N, 117.7800° W)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357manny View Post
Paring it all down, my single primary goal is basically to have a single shotgun solution for Hunting (birds, boars, deer? bear?). After that, the clays/trap/sport shooting. It's not possible for the higher end--usually just go and buy another shotgun it seems. Most likely not anyway--with a barrel swap or kit--probably doesn't make sense. I don't know if it can be done with one, but I'll see if I can get as many of them with one.
Based on what you just said here, no matter whether you want to go with an A300, Franchi, V3 or other including a pump like an 870, I would suggest getting a camo version.
Quote:
A society that aims for equality before liberty, will end with neither equality nor liberty.
-Milton Friedman

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic164573_1.gif
Old 10-22-2019, 9:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Based on what you just said here, no matter whether you want to go with an A300, Franchi, V3 or other including a pump like an 870, I would suggest getting a camo version.
+1

Especially if it’s a duck gun.
Old 10-22-2019, 9:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Single “do it all” pump shotgun on the cheap - Remington 870.

Single “do it all” semi auto shotgun - Benelli M2.

“Do it all” for me = home defense, birds/clays, and rifled slug barrel.

Ok. So now to tell you all the truth, I was ‘ ‘ this close to just buying the 870 pump barrel combo (18” + 28”) as my do-it-all hunting/HD/clays shotty. Good bang for the buck ($450+/-). Ive seen threads of shotgun questions about mixing and matching barrel lengths for HD/hunting... but usually it’s for pump shotguns.

Then I would have to consider if this is my HD as well, my 5’3” wife would have to be able to utilize this in a HD event... and a pump shotty, however super reliable, is just one too many things to train—I want a soft shooter, point down the hallway, squeeze trigger, no frills scatter gun. A pump shotty needs training, some strength, and practice for no short-shucking...

HD Needs: point, bang! Soft on the recoil, softer the better, not to put her off on training.

BecauSe of the need for a simplistic operation, soft recoil, moderate strength requirement, I was thinking going semi-auto. So here I am.

If there’s a good semi-auto that can be good at HD and hunting, or great at both, and for a reasonable amount, I’m all ears. Would most likely need replaceable barrel, to switch among the roles. I’ve considered the Moss 930. I didn’t see an A300 short barrel. The Stoeger M3000 seems like it could fit this role...

Anyway, sorry to exasperate you all—I’m exasperating myself at the least lol. But hey, thanks guys for chiming in!
Old 10-22-2019, 9:49 PM
小さな女性

Quote:
Ok. So now to tell you all the truth, I was ‘ ‘ this close to just buying the 870 pump barrel combo (18” + 28”) as my do-it-all hunting/HD/clays shotty. Good bang for the buck ($450+/-). Ive seen threads of shotgun questions about mixing and matching barrel lengths for HD/hunting... but usually it’s for pump shotguns.

Then I would have to consider if this is my HD as well, my 5’3” wife would have to be able to utilize this in a HD event... and a pump shotty, however super reliable, is just one too many things to train—I want a soft shooter, point down the hallway, squeeze trigger, no frills scatter gun. A pump shotty needs training, some strength, and practice for no short-shucking...

HD Needs: point, bang! Soft on the recoil, softer the better, not to put her off on training.

BecauSe of the need for a simplistic operation, soft recoil, moderate strength requirement, I was thinking going semi-auto. So here I am.

If there’s a good semi-auto that can be good at HD and hunting, or great at both, and for a reasonable amount, I’m all ears. Would most likely need replaceable barrel, to switch among the roles. I’ve considered the Moss 930. I didn’t see an A300 short barrel. The Stoeger M3000 seems like it could fit this role...

Anyway, sorry to exasperate you all—I’m exasperating myself at the least lol. But hey, thanks guys for chiming in!
This is probably your shotgun:

Quote:
A society that aims for equality before liberty, will end with neither equality nor liberty.
-Milton Friedman

Old 10-22-2019, 10:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
This is probably your shotgun:

Does it come in camo?
Old 10-22-2019, 10:24 PM
小さな女性

Right now this is $549.00:

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...m3000mx5122shg
Quote:
-Milton Friedman

Old 10-23-2019, 4:11 AM
Veteran Member

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1559752

Remington has sales often - V3 home defense barrel was $240.
Old 10-23-2019, 7:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Ahh yes...

Do waterfowl/upland birds actually see the non-camo? I like the M3K setup best.

Quote:
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1559752

Remington has sales often - V3 home defense barrel was $240.
Yes, I reviewed and re-reviewed your shotgun threads bro. And re-re-reviewed
Old 10-23-2019, 9:35 AM

Quote:
...5’3” wife would have to be able to utilize this in a HD event...
I want a soft shooter, point down the hallway, squeeze trigger, no frills scatter gun. A pump shotty needs training, some strength, and practice for no short-shucking...
Soft on the recoil, softer the better, not to put her off on training.
...The Stoeger M3000 seems like it could fit this role...
You (and maybe your wife) should shoot the Stoeger (it's inertia operated) if you can, to see what you think of the recoil. Gas guns typically have less felt recoil than inertia guns.

Another thing to consider, is that if the gun that feels good to you (fit/balance/et.), it might not feel good or shoulder well for your wife.

Trying to get one gun that does it all and feels good to two different people is asking a lot.

Quote:
...Do waterfowl/upland birds actually see the non-camo? I like the M3K setup best.
Ducks do see sunlight reflecting off shiny guns, which can make them avoid you (stay out of range or flare and fly away). The matte black finish is ok for hunting.

That being said, my duck gun is camo (not really sure if camo vs matte black matters). For upland birds, I don't worry about the type of finish.

It seems to me that softer shooting is the more important feature to you vs. color (camo or black).
Old 10-23-2019, 11:23 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
OP. FWIW, I own: A300, Franchi affinity, Stoeger M3000, Remington V3, Remington 1100, 1187. ....

The one for me that gets the most trigger time is the Franchi.....

At this moment regarding what I shoot I have moved to an O/U for tournaments and also a different price point semi-auto.

But for fun I still pick up the Franchi.
Out of curiosity, what is the "different price point semi-auto" do you now use?

Also, what O/U are you using in tournaments?

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 10-23-2019, 12:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
Out of curiosity, what is the "different price point semi-auto" do you now use?

Also, what O/U are you using in tournaments?
Benelli Super Sport and the O/U is a Perazzi HT.
Old 10-23-2019, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Do waterfowl/upland birds actually see the non-camo?
Birds will notice movement or glare more than they will notice color. A dull black gun is not going to be an issue for bird hunting as long as you stay still. One downside of camo finishes is that, if you use the gun a lot, the camo will begin to wear off. Looks crappy, but the birds don't care.

Birds have tetrachromatic vision. That means that they see color pretty much the way humans do, but they also see ultraviolet parts of the spectrum that humans do not see. If you have ever noticed the iridescence on the noggin of a drake mallard, that glows like a mating call to a hen mallard.
Old 10-23-2019, 7:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Benelli Super Sport and the O/U is a Perazzi HT.
And you consider the Super Sport far superior to the Affinity?

I ask because I'm also shopping around for a good semi-auto and price isn't too much of a consideration.

My wife might balk at the price of a Perazzi High Tech though.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater

Last edited by k1dude; 10-23-2019 at 7:18 PM..
Old 10-23-2019, 7:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
And you consider the Super Sport far superior to the Affinity?

I ask because I'm also shopping around and price isn't too much of a consideration.
I consider it superior as its got a much nicer trigger, ported barrel and for me that's a big plus. Finally the action is smoother even though they are both very similar platforms being an inertia system. The recoil spring on the Benelli is housed inside the stock vs the affinity recoil spring being housed on the magazine tube. For the price, the affinity is very nice, but the extra expense for me was worth it buying the Benelli.

BTW the affinity doesn't have a 30" barrel. The super sport does. For sporting clays it's an advantage for swinging.

Last edited by fecalguns; 10-23-2019 at 7:22 PM..
Old 10-23-2019, 7:39 PM
Calguns Addict

I'll be at Raahauge's in Corona every Friday morning, if anybody wants to shoot my A300...

...or K80. They're just tools, not artwork.