Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 10-23-2019, 7:27 AM

Well of course not! You’ve likely never seen a Winchester, Tikka, Savage, Browning, Weatherby, Marlin or any other STOCK action rifle, INCLUDING the Rem. 700, in anything more serious than club matches! Serious competitors all use custom actions, and yes..most are designed after the 700. But that is for simplicity. And to think a person must rely on certain gear is a condition of ignorance.

BTW, Howa became the Official Factory Rifle sponsor of the NRL in 2018. A few people continue calling them “crappy” or “fast junk” whatever(all of which with absolutely nothing to back it up), and Howa continues to higher quality rifles.
DUMB QUOTE OF THE WEEK: “It's doubtful you've ever actually shot anybody, maybe never even seen anybody shot and don't really know what the hell you're talking about in the first place.” -Member on Calguns. (Maybe you’re LESS more than just FEATURE!)

Ask me what Christ did for me..., and I will tell you what He will do for you!
Old 10-23-2019, 9:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Deplorable View Post
Im so confused. I thought forged was when you take piece of metal and heat it up then hammer it into shape and cast is when you melt the metal to a liquid and pour it into a mold.
Forging is where you take a SOFT (not liquid) piece of metal and pre-shape it close to the finished shape.
This could be from hammering or from simply heating up a piece and placing it into a mold and closing the mold so that the mold creates the shape.

Casting is using a fully liquid metal and pouring it into a mold.

Casting can produce nearly dimensionally finished parts but they are not very strong.
Forgings are stronger because of the lower temperature they were formed at lets the "grain" of the metal align with the shape of the part but they are not near finished dimensions so more machining is required.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 10-23-2019, 9:58 AM

I agree with this. And typically casting is weaker. However, companies like CZ & Ruger have perfected their casting technique so that calling them “weak” would be counter to history’s evidence. So it can be misleading.

But there are some truths. When it comes to either Forged or CNC Machined(what we call Billet) AR receivers, strength is equal between these two, and both would have vastly superior strength to a cast receiver. As was mentioned, the same holds true for knives. A forged blade and what we call “stock removal” blade are going to possess equal strength in accordance to what steel was used. And likewise, BOTH methods will always be much, much stronger than a cast knife. Which, as ar15barrels said, indeed would be rather weak!
DUMB QUOTE OF THE WEEK: “It's doubtful you've ever actually shot anybody, maybe never even seen anybody shot and don't really know what the hell you're talking about in the first place.” -Member on Calguns. (Maybe you’re LESS more than just FEATURE!)

Old 10-23-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnWnMe View Post
Rugers are cast. Anyone want to claim Rugers are weak guns?
I have a sprongfield m1a and LRB arms m14. The m1a is cast and LRB forged and I'll tell you the cast m1a is more weak if they cast it as a spec firearm. Yes I know the LRB is not spec either because it doesn't have the full auto cut out and doesn't have the lug for the happy switch. Prove me wrong.

Let's pray for Obama Psalm 109:8

Last edited by jtv3062; 10-23-2019 at 12:30 PM..
Old 10-23-2019, 12:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Rugers make up for the inferiority of investment castings by using more metal for a given application. That's why they usually look so blocky compared to their forged competitors.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
Rugers make up for the inferiority of investment castings by using more metal for a given application. That's why they usually look so blocky compared to their forged competitors.
Exactly it's the
same with the Sprongfield m1a.
ETA sprongfield is not a misspelling.

Let's pray for Obama Psalm 109:8

Last edited by jtv3062; 10-23-2019 at 12:16 PM..
Old 10-23-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackEllis View Post
I have a Howa 1500 in .223 with a varmint barrel. It's the most consistent (accurate) rifle I own.

When I decided to buy that rifle, price was a minor issue. I'd done a bunch of research and Howas get pretty favorable reviews.

Aftermarket support was never an issue. I prefer to buy rifles that shoot well out of the box and then not mess with them. The one concession to customization I did make was a high power scope, the better to find those pesky rodents.

If you want a project rifle, Howa does sell barreled actions.
I don't mind doing a little work on a brand new rifle.

I like Howa rifles.

They're a pretty good rifle for what they cost.

If Howa offered their standard 22-inch barrel & Hogue stock model w/ a stainless barrel and receiver I'd buy one chambered for the 308 Winchester.
Old 10-23-2019, 4:30 PM

Considering you can pick up a Howa Bravo model in 6mm or 6.5mm CM for just over $1K, I’d say they are definitely in the running for “best deal”! A very capable rifle for beginner to avid shooters who don’t want to invest thousands into a rifle. Can’t even buy the barreled action and KRG Chassis for less!

Add a 1-piece base, good set of rings and glass and you have very capable rig for 1000+ yards!

Old 10-23-2019, 7:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
Well of course not! You’ve likely never seen a Winchester, Tikka, Savage, Browning, Weatherby, Marlin or any other STOCK action rifle, INCLUDING the Rem. 700, in anything more serious than club matches! Serious competitors all use custom actions, and yes..most are designed after the 700. But that is for simplicity. And to think a person must rely on certain gear is a condition of ignorance.

BTW, Howa became the Official Factory Rifle sponsor of the NRL in 2018. A few people continue calling them “crappy” or “fast junk” whatever(all of which with absolutely nothing to back it up), and Howa continues to higher quality rifles.
Actually I tied a 1000 yard score world record at the NBRSA 1000 Yard Nationals Benchrest Match with the stock 700 action in the picture.
But you are correct in that I have never seen a Tika,Weatherby,Winchester,Ruger,Sako,Marlin,Husqua varna,Mauser on the line just 700's and Savages.
And in case you've never seen one that's a Stiller Tuner on the end of the 30 inch barrel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15718827517733938067925574388831.jpg (93.8 KB, 53 views)
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

Last edited by LynnJr; 10-23-2019 at 7:12 PM..