Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 11:29 AM

Default STS Guns in Folsom....how not to treat a customer..

Since this is my first post here, I want to introduce myself:

I’ve been shooting for more than forty years, beginning with adventures in the creek behind my house with a Daisy 1894, to now – shotgunning for waterfowl or going to the range with a variety of handguns and rifles, including an 1873 Trapdoor Springfield and several guns from the World Wars. I’m a fifth generation Californian but wonder whether the sixth generation will be able to own a gun when they’re my age. I am an NRA member.

Now to the matter at hand:

I’ve been searching for a CA-legal Smith & Wesson M&P15. My girlfriend and I went to STS in Folsom. They didn’t have one, but the guy behind the counter suggested I put my name on their board, and that they would contact me when one came in. If they called me, he said they would give me “24 hours to come in and complete the purchase.”

Two weeks went by then around 6:15pm one evening they called me to say one had just come in. They said I could come in the next morning when they opened (they closed at 7pm). However, I was able to go that night, so I called them back and told them I was on my way. I arrived at 6:45pm.

When I got there, I was told they had sold the gun to someone who’d just walked in. Naturally, I was shocked and in disbelief. “But you just called me to come in and get it, and here I am.” The clerk just shrugged and said, “Hey what can I say? We put it up on the wall and someone bought it.”

Put it up on the wall? Then what the hell is the point of having a waiting list, calling someone, having them tell you they are coming down to the store to buy it? And what happened to “24 hours”? Again, just the shrug and we really don’t give a damn smirk. I took the time to come there twice, once to put my name on the board and once to buy the gun, you know, invested more time and effort than someone who just walked in the door at that moment. Means nothing to STS apparently.

I mean, why not tell the guy that someone is coming in to buy it, but if they don’t show up, he can have it? That would be the right thing to do. Unless STS is just plain greedy and sleazy.

I have bought a lot of guns. When I lived in Southern California, I was never treated this shabbily at Fowler’s or The Stockade, or now that I’m in Northern California, during the purchase of my concealed carry gun at Mosquito Creek. They treated my patronage with respect, helpfulness, appreciation and professionalism.

In my opinion, STS is just riding the wave and doesn’t give a damn about you or your business. A customer is apparently just another piece of meat with a checkbook; one is as good as another. I hate to think how they treat a customer who bought a gun and had a problem or something that needed to be fixed. Zero respect, zero professionalism and worst of all, zero honor.

Anyway, be warned. You may want to skip this gun shop if you’re shopping for a firearm.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:51 AM
Calguns Addict

what was the price?
Old 01-26-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenhunter View Post

I’ve been shooting for more than forty years, beginning with adventures in the creek behind my house with a Daisy 1894, to now – shotgunning for waterfowl or going to the range with a variety of handguns and rifles, including an 1873 Trapdoor Springfield and several guns from the World Wars. I’m a fifth generation Californian but wonder whether the sixth generation will be able to own a gun when they’re my age. I am an NRA member.

I’ve been searching for a CA-legal Smith & Wesson M&P15. My girlfriend and I went to STS in Folsom. They didn’t have one, but the guy behind the counter suggested I put my name on their board, and that they would contact me when one came in. If they called me, he said they would give me “24 hours to come in and complete the purchase.”

Two weeks went by then around 6:15pm one evening they called me to say one had just come in. They said I could come in the next morning when they opened (they closed at 7pm). However, I was able to go that night, so I called them back and told them I was on my way. I arrived at 6:45pm.

When I got there, I was told they had sold the gun to someone who’d just walked in. Naturally, I was shocked and in disbelief. “But you just called me to come in and get it, and here I am.” The clerk just shrugged and said, “Hey what can I say? We put it up on the wall and someone bought it.”

Put it up on the wall? Then what the hell is the point of having a waiting list, calling someone, having them tell you they are coming down to the store to buy it? And what happened to “24 hours”? Again, just the shrug and we really don’t give a damn smirk. I took the time to come there twice, once to put my name on the board and once to buy the gun, you know, invested more time and effort than someone who just walked in the door at that moment. Means nothing to STS apparently.

I mean, why not tell the guy that someone is coming in to buy it, but if they don’t show up, he can have it? That would be the right thing to do. Unless STS is just plain greedy and sleazy.

I have bought a lot of guns. When I lived in Southern California, I was never treated this shabbily at Fowler’s or The Stockade, or now that I’m in Northern California, during the purchase of my concealed carry gun at Mosquito Creek. They treated my patronage with respect, helpfulness, appreciation and professionalism.

In my opinion, STS is just riding the wave and doesn’t give a damn about you or your business. A customer is apparently just another piece of meat with a checkbook; one is as good as another. I hate to think how they treat a customer who bought a gun and had a problem or something that needed to be fixed. Zero respect, zero professionalism and worst of all, zero honor.

Anyway, be warned. You may want to skip this gun shop if you’re shopping for a firearm.
That's horrible. I thought my bad experience was just a one off. About a year ago I had called them looking to get a bolt action rifle. As I'm not an expert on them I asked their opinion on a sub $1K rifle. the clerk was rude and said "if you just called for an opinion you should have just gone online." I went somewhere else.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:49 PM

was in there few weeks ago doing ppt. went smoothly. didnt know what the board war for.

sucks man but move on. not every place is friendly. only place i think is friendly is sac black rifle
Old 01-26-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsnaz View Post
was in there few weeks ago doing ppt. went smoothly. didnt know what the board war for.

sucks man but move on. not every place is friendly. only place i think is friendly is sac black rifle
I've had a lot of great luck with Just Guns (the new management that took over a couple years ago). I bought my AR there and before I took it home their gunsmith tore it down and completely cleaned and lubed it. Nice folks, they'll chat with you as long as you want to talk, offer their opinions but if there's someone waiting and you're just BSing, they'll help the person. very attentive.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoriginalgiga View Post
I've had a lot of great luck with Just Guns ----Nice folks, they'll chat with you as long as you want to talk, offer their opinions but if there's someone waiting and you're just BSing, they'll help the person. very attentive.
1st I only walked into STS once, their prices are so much higher than the other gun stores. I did talk to a friendly & helpful sales guy, who did call me when they got in the model I was looking for, but I had already purchased same gun for $150 less somewhere else.

Regarding the quote about "Just Guns", I am looking for some place to give consistent business too also, so I googled "Just Guns" and was surprised to find not very many happy customers.
The worst comment is about a consignment gun, and they haven't paid the owner after selling it. In addition there is a comment where the customer shows the owner all the bad ratings his business received, and the owner responds with "I don't care!". While it may not be fair to comment without personal experience, I have found that ratings usually can be trusted if you understand how to read them, and who might be posting.

I have purchased from Wild Sports, they did call me when I put my name on a list for a model they stock but were out of, I went right down and purchased the gun no problem, however they are slightly high on some guns and fair on others. Years ago they used to be very helpful and friendly, it seems their customer service is overwhelmed with the current demand, and the staff are just going through the motions, since there are 10 more buyers lined up if the current customers walks out.

Right now it is a sellers market, they get the prices they want, due to supply & demand, customer service it seems is low on a lot of gun stores priority list.
Old 02-04-2013, 9:58 PM

Quote:

Sac Black Rifle is my number one choice when it comes to gun shops, they are always attentive and friendly. My number two is River City Gun Exchange.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 07-27-2013, 8:01 AM

Quote:

love blackrifle nothing but nice helpful guys that take their time with you, they don't act above and better then you and answer any question you have without a look of being annoyed
Old 01-26-2013, 12:52 PM

I've never been to STS. I stick to Rancho Shooting Center. They have good prices and the guys at the counter are always nice and helpful. I hate shops with crummy service and attitudes and wonder how they stay in business...
Old 01-26-2013, 12:57 PM

With business practices like that they'll be out of business soon enough. I would go back to purchase a few rifles and then walk out without completing the transaction.
Old 02-16-2013, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayoneone View Post
With business practices like that they'll be out of business soon enough. I would go back to purchase a few rifles and then walk out without completing the transaction.
THIS +1
Old 01-26-2013, 1:27 PM

+1 Sac Black Rifle and also TDS. They've always been friendly and honest with me.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:22 PM

same here..sac black rifle..good service all the time.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Plumber View Post
+1 Sac Black Rifle and also TDS. They've always been friendly and honest with me.
Just remember not to wear jeans and a black t-shirt to Sac Black Rifle or all the other patrons with think you work there.

I was in there one time and a guy came up to me while I was waiting on the counter associate to bring my order from the back and asked if it was okay if he tried on an IWB holster. I politely told him that I didn't mind either way but that he might want to check with someone who actually works there first. haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorris7556 View Post
They teach you secret stuff I can't mention on line.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:05 AM
Veteran Member

Not the first time I've heard something like this about their customer service. Such a shame. I have no desire to even walk through their front door.
Old 01-27-2013, 6:30 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Well, now you are a CalGuns member. Cheers!
Old 01-27-2013, 7:19 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the input on this experience. Have you considered giving them a review on Yelp?

Former Front Sight Commander Member
NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org
NRA Instructor: Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Range Safety Officer
Old 01-27-2013, 8:41 AM

Thanks for the gun shop suggestions. I will check with them about the M&P15. And yes, I've put a review up on Yelp. Interesting, they have a lot of 5 star reviews (that sound so glowing to the point of sounding phony). Did see one that said he was ignored and treated like he wasn't even there when he was waiting to be helped.
Old 01-27-2013, 9:49 AM

P.S. Just noticed that the reviews of STS that show on Yelp are all positive except one...but if you click the tiny little "filtered reviews" link at the very bottom, you find 17 reviews that are mostly negative. Interesting...seems like Yelp's set up might be giving people false confidence about STS.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
P.S. Just noticed that the reviews of STS that show on Yelp are all positive except one...but if you click the tiny little "filtered reviews" link at the very bottom, you find 17 reviews that are mostly negative. Interesting...seems like Yelp's set up might be giving people false confidence about STS.
Yelp is the WORST place to read reviews - they tried to extort money from me - there's a negative review by a non customer that had listed a competitors name and pricing. It is years old yet appears on the first page near the top.. for the right price I can have it moved away... no thanks
Old 02-05-2013, 7:25 AM

Arlington firearms on Date Ave is another one to stay away from. They quote prices then after you pay you notice a hidden Dealer Charge. So the price your told is not really the price you pay. The prices go up as your driving there as well. After a few of those deals I stopped going.. Very wishy washy when ya ask if they have something, they say yes- then try to buy it -nothing but excuses, weird very weird..

Last edited by DENCO; 02-05-2013 at 7:27 AM..
Old 02-26-2013, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENCO View Post
Arlington firearms on Date Ave is another one to stay away from. They quote prices then after you pay you notice a hidden Dealer Charge. So the price your told is not really the price you pay. The prices go up as your driving there as well. After a few of those deals I stopped going.. Very wishy washy when ya ask if they have something, they say yes- then try to buy it -nothing but excuses, weird very weird..
I've also had the unfortunate chance of doing business with these people. I would avoid them at all costs.
Old 02-11-2013, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Yelp is contacting business owners, and for $300 pr month, with a 6 month commitment, you can control, or even delete bad reviews.
Old 02-26-2013, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrACP View Post
Yelp is contacting business owners, and for $300 pr month, with a 6 month commitment, you can control, or even delete bad reviews.
This is true. A friend runs a business and can manage his Yelp reviews as he likes as long as he is a paying business member,
Old 01-27-2013, 10:10 AM
Calguns Addict

WHAT WAS THE PRICE ON THE M&P 15?
Old 01-27-2013, 10:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Good to know. I can't stand incompetence or chicanery. Giving them the benefit I'm going to assume the former. Won't be buying a gun there, thanks for the head's up.

I was in there once looking at guns. Got a lot of misinformation from the 20-something behind the counter. Wasn't going to argue with him, after all, he already knows it all, right? If you're going to work in a gun store, get your facts straight sonny.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll take them off my list.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:45 AM
In Memoriam

Like Seinfeld said, you know how to TAKE the reservation, you don't know how to KEEP the reservation.
Old 01-27-2013, 2:15 PM

Keen, it was $1,100. Not out of sync with other similar guns, but three months ago the same gun was listed at $800.
Old 02-04-2013, 9:03 PM
CGN Contributor

I am not so much of a shopper as a getter, but in the sacto area I still like River City Gun Exchange. I was concerned the first time I walked in, but the staff knows what they are talking about and they seem to have what I want more than their competition.
Old 02-05-2013, 8:26 AM
Veteran Member

I've never been to STS.

But I have been to the other places mentioned. Wild Sports, TDS, and River City have all been great. Sac Black Rifle, on the other hand, was arrogant.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:51 AM

Try Shootin Shack Guns in Elk Grove. Those guys are awsome. I been on a list a couple of times for different guns and they've always called me. Great place
Old 02-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

I have bought many guns from STS, never had a problem. When the panic buying started SBR raised there $$ on lowers to ~$300. STS held there prices for a week before raising there prices at that was $40 on there last 15.

There are one or two people that I will not deal with in there (to mall mall ninja for me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
More what? More crazy?
You live in California. There's always more crazy. It's a renewable resource.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:52 PM

+ 1 suggesting a trip to TDS next time.
Old 02-10-2013, 8:31 PM

I used to like STS but they led me around trying to work a deal to make shooting targets for them but when it came down to making an order they pretty much wouldnt talk about it anymore after 5 trips there planning and designing what they needed it was like a kick in the pants. Im also dealing with a problem because i bought my wife a cross bow from them that broke the first time we took it out. and now they pretty much dont care its been sent out for repairs but they cant get us an eta on when we can expect it back. Wild sports isnt to bad and its close to STS they have stiffs and run by the book there but they normally have good prices and good stock. Sac black rifle i would watch out for because they go and buy up all the stock rifles from sportsmans and put ok parts on them and jack the prices through the roof worse then most private sellers. TDS is a pretty good shop but they have low stock and not a super big selection.
Old 02-15-2013, 9:19 PM
Veteran Member

That's a shame to hear about them. I bought an AR from them last summer because I liked their customer service, even though their prices were higher. A few months later I wanted a .22 rifle and they were glad to order what I wanted. They got 2, and though the one they put on the shelves was marked $170 they sold me mine for $160. Of course I could have saved about $20 at the Big 5 just down the block but i wanted to support a LGS.

That whiteboard was actually used, there were times that i overheard them calling people on the board informing them that an item had come it.

I haven't been there often lately since the Great Gun Shortage of 2013 because their inventory -already pretty sparse - had become virtually nonexistant. I hope the OP's experience is not indicative of how they'll be in the future. The one thing going for them was their service (and maybe the square footage) but if they lose that then there's no reason to go there. Back last summer when supply & demand was in balance, buyers & shops were on equal footing. The current situation gives shops more power, and those that abuse it leave a bad memory.
Old 02-16-2013, 1:07 AM

It's sad that I have yet to find a truly GOOD gun store in the Sac area...

SBR USED to be good, when they weren't firearms dealer. Once they moved to Rocklin they became incredibly arrogant. I NEVER received callbacks on guns I was interested in, and have been BANNED from posting on their Facebook page after I posted their prices for lowers (which were $400, stripped last time I was there). I love how they say they are the only Glock Blue Label dealer in Sac, when in reality they ARENT (Look it up on Glock's dealer locator yourself). Their distributor is, and all the other local shops can get Glock blue label at the same price. The sad thing... I've bought 4 guns there, and I'm a LEO. So much for being LEO friendly...

TDS is almost as bad. I've never bought a gun from them, but they just felt arrogant every time I've gone in there.

MSI Guns in Roseville gave me attitude IMMEDIATELY. I walked in, didn't plan on buying anything, but saw a gun in the "LEO ONLY" case. I asked to see it, and they asked if I was an LEO. I told them I was, and all was fine. Until the 20 year old behind the counter started talking about how he has to lock up his handgun whenever he comes and goes from the shop. When I asked him how he owns a handgun at 20, he said it was his dad's. We start discussing high cap mags, and he starts telling me what is "letter of the law" legal and what is not. At that point, I have already said I want to buy the gun, but I will try and get a letter from my dept, foregoing the waiting period. His reply "no agencies around here give letters." I told him he was wrong, and my dept does. At that point I was glad I got a letter because I didn't want to do business there anymore.

Cal-Tac in Roseville has been pretty cool so far whenever I've been in there. Just bought 2 Glocks from them.
Old 11-29-2013, 9:39 PM
Calguns Addict

I know I'm a southern California boy but this past September when I was in Fair Oaks, I did business with Robby (owner) at Golden State Tactical. Straight forward, squared away professional.

Great service! I highly recommend him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDMan View Post
It's sad that I have yet to find a truly GOOD gun store in the Sac area...

SBR USED to be good, when they weren't firearms dealer. Once they moved to Rocklin they became incredibly arrogant. I NEVER received callbacks on guns I was interested in, and have been BANNED from posting on their Facebook page after I posted their prices for lowers (which were $400, stripped last time I was there). I love how they say they are the only Glock Blue Label dealer in Sac, when in reality they ARENT (Look it up on Glock's dealer locator yourself). Their distributor is, and all the other local shops can get Glock blue label at the same price. The sad thing... I've bought 4 guns there, and I'm a LEO. So much for being LEO friendly...

TDS is almost as bad. I've never bought a gun from them, but they just felt arrogant every time I've gone in there.

MSI Guns in Roseville gave me attitude IMMEDIATELY. I walked in, didn't plan on buying anything, but saw a gun in the "LEO ONLY" case. I asked to see it, and they asked if I was an LEO. I told them I was, and all was fine. Until the 20 year old behind the counter started talking about how he has to lock up his handgun whenever he comes and goes from the shop. When I asked him how he owns a handgun at 20, he said it was his dad's. We start discussing high cap mags, and he starts telling me what is "letter of the law" legal and what is not. At that point, I have already said I want to buy the gun, but I will try and get a letter from my dept, foregoing the waiting period. His reply "no agencies around here give letters." I told him he was wrong, and my dept does. At that point I was glad I got a letter because I didn't want to do business there anymore.

Cal-Tac in Roseville has been pretty cool so far whenever I've been in there. Just bought 2 Glocks from them.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:47 PM

Default GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Beretta View Post
I know I'm a southern California boy but this past September when I was in Fair Oaks, I did business with Robby (owner) at Golden State Tactical. Straight forward, squared away professional.

Great service! I highly recommend him!
Couldn't agree more. I have dealt with Robbie for years at different levels. True professional, treats you the old way, with respect, that I give in return.
Anyone asks me for an FFL, I send them to him.
Old 02-16-2013, 1:52 AM

Cordova shooting center is worth checking out. Pat the owner is a good guy and has gone through some lengths to get me a couple handguns I was looking for that he didn't have in stock. It took some time but he came through and I got exactly what I wanted. They are small but they also seem less busy than some other shops, maybe thats why he had a couple AR's on the shelf still last time I was there, one was an M&P 15 sport.