Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 11-07-2020, 7:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Death Valley back country camping in a week

Hello, I would like to go to Death Valley and back country camp for 1-2 nights. I have experience backpacking in the 110 degree Anza-Borrego desert and 10 degree mountains in the snow. Are there any particularly good places to go in Death Valley? From what I read, I can park and camp at least a mile away from paved roads. Any particularly good places to hike out to and set up camp?

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this - weather, views, anything from people who have done it. I like the wide open desert environment but mountains would be good too.

Thank you
Old 11-09-2020, 3:43 PM
Veteran Member

you might like the Zabriskie Pk. hike. Or Dante's View. Or, if you're up to it, Telescope pk. For a short visit, these will give you everything you'd expect.
Beautiful this time of year. Just be prepared.
Old 11-09-2020, 8:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstater View Post
you might like the Zabriskie Pk. hike. Or Dante's View. Or, if you're up to it, Telescope pk. For a short visit, these will give you everything you'd expect.
Beautiful this time of year. Just be prepared.
Thanks!! I was eyeing telescope peak, that is my goal for the trip.

It looks like we might be opting for a hotel and day hikes instead because while I would enjoy camping in 10 degrees, it might cause others to hate the trip or freeze to death in the night

I will probably look for hotels or air b&b in a good location to do a few good hike each day, including telescope peak. I'll look on google maps for a home base that is not too far from the places you mentioned. Thanks for the tips, I think we will go for three days and try to do the three hikes you mentioned.

I am open to any advice you have on where to stay, or whatever else you think might be useful!

Thanks again!

Edit: I found this site showing good places to see, it looks amazing! I'll plan out a good three day tour https://www.planetware.com/californi...y-us-ca-dv.htm

Last edited by SanDiego619; 11-09-2020 at 8:25 PM..
Old 11-10-2020, 6:32 AM
Veteran Member

The times I've stayed in DV, It was in campgrounds, so, I'm not much help there. Also, don't forget about Auguerberry Pt. Terrific view! Not too far from Telescope pk. I'll be in Zion this weekend till Tuesday.
Old 11-10-2020, 6:50 AM
CGN Contributor

Check park regs, I believe you can't just camp anywhere you please.
Old 11-10-2020, 7:32 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODY2 View Post
Correct. Campgrounds and in park accommodations only, if they're open. Always best to check before hand. Think OP knows this.
Old 11-10-2020, 9:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODY2 View Post
That is right, some areas are off limits to back country camping. That's off the plate for this trip anyway, but I am probably going to plan a backpacking trip in the future.

This time, I'll just find nearby lodging and do dayhikes. It looks nice there.
Old 11-10-2020, 9:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The times I've stayed in DV, It was in campgrounds, so, I'm not much help there. Also, don't forget about Auguerberry Pt. Terrific view! Not too far from Telescope pk. I'll be in Zion this weekend till Tuesday.
I love Zion, I also really enjoyed driving there from San Diego up the 15 past the Mojave national preserve at sunrise, what a sight. I need to spend some time there!
Old 11-12-2020, 3:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Nowhere to stay around Death Valley during the time I was planning, shucks!

It is getting pretty cold anyway. I might go to Lone Pine and hike around, but it's not exactly warm there either. I am still thinking about it.

I might instead go to death valley at a later date when there are hotels available.

Last edited by SanDiego619; 11-12-2020 at 3:46 PM..
Old 11-12-2020, 4:00 PM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiego619 View Post
Nowhere to stay around Death Valley during the time I was planning, shucks!

It is getting pretty cold anyway. I might go to Lone Pine and hike around, but it's not exactly warm there either. I am still thinking about it.

I might instead go to death valley at a later date when there are hotels available.
Weather is warming up (relatively speaking) for a few days today- Wednesday.

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché

Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?
Old 11-13-2020, 4:41 AM
Still in The Game
CGN Contributor

They don't call it Death Valley for nothing. My preference would be a Disney park.
Old 11-15-2020, 7:35 AM
Veteran Member

Had to cancel our Zion trip due big uptick in this covid stuff. Closed all hiking trails, can't drive thru the park. Can only take a shuttle thru park with 33 other people. That ain't a trip, that's a cancel! Oh well, Zion isn't going anywhere.

Last edited by pennstater; 11-15-2020 at 7:37 AM..
Old 11-15-2020, 8:04 AM

If you do end up camping in DV, keep in mind they have a restriction on camp fires. Basically, no fires are allowed on open ground; you have to bring a fire pit. Even though there's no hazard of starting a wildfire, I guess they don't want people marring the landscape with camp fire stains.

I brought along a cheap backyard fire pit I picked up at Target for $40, and put my DuraFlame logs in it. Easy when car camping.

I seem to remember that car camping was allowed pretty much anywhere off of the many dirt roads, away from the main paved roads.

The big lesson I learned (the hard way) was the importance of OFF ROAD TIRES. The rocks in DV are really sharp, and 4WD won't help you much if you don't have sturdy, multi-ply off road tires. I got a sidewall cut on my street-biased "all terrain" tire about 15 miles up into the mountains, and limped back to the main road on the rim so I wouldn't risk flatting my remaining spare, which I needed for the 400 mile trip back home!
Old 11-15-2020, 10:52 PM

@SanDiego619:

Don't give up on the trip yet.
Rent an RV and drive up.....no hotels needed.
Old 11-18-2020, 6:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

I'll be heading there this weekend to the northern section. Probably head to the Ubehebe crater via Death Valley Road from 168, and then just zig zag across from saline valley via Steele pass and then up Lippincott Mine road at break neck speeds to adventure! I dunno just going to wing it.

Was going to check out the hotel at Cerro Gordo but a sackless soyboy didn't know what nob-and-tube electrical was and burned half the town down.
Old 11-18-2020, 11:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuvik View Post
I'll be heading there this weekend to the northern section. Probably head to the Ubehebe crater via Death Valley Road from 168, and then just zig zag across from saline valley via Steele pass and then up Lippincott Mine road at break neck speeds to adventure! I dunno just going to wing it.

Was going to check out the hotel at Cerro Gordo but a sackless soyboy didn't know what nob-and-tube electrical was and burned half the town down.
LOL, some idiot burned the town down with an electrical fire??

I've decided to hold off on my travel until after Thanksgiving, I'll probably head to Death Valley unless global warming makes it so there is no snow in the eastern sierras yet.
Old 11-19-2020, 5:06 AM

Quote:

I've decided to hold off on my travel until after Thanksgiving, I'll probably head to Death Valley unless global warming makes it so there is no snow in the eastern sierras yet.
Unfortunately some kid bought half the town at the beginning of this year from the care taker with plans to live there. The kid apparently was trying to fix things up. But they just don't know how to work on things. He had been leaving the electrical on so his cameras and computers could charge at night.

I don't know if you have seen pictures of the hotel but it was in amazing condition, filled with artifacts from the time period. It was a main attraction asides from the mine itself. It had been standing 100 years until that moron showed up. He also burned down some of the houses like the postmaster house.

Hopefully he knows what knob and tube is now so he doesn't burn down the rest. The tube deteriorates, rodents love it, and if they build their nest on it you can get a fire easy. Who knows the fuse box probably had a penny in it too.

If you haven't been to Death Valley its fun tons of mining history and interesting Geology. And there are more secluded hot springs if you hike to them. The crowded ones are obviously the ones you can drive to.
Old 11-20-2020, 4:54 AM
Calguns Addict

The trick there is to get in by 8 AM when the previous day's campers are leaving. I got to Mahogany Flats around that time last Oct 16 and had my pick of 3 open sites.

Yes you should do Telescope Peak. Gorgeous hike. No camping that I know of near Dante's View plus there's really nothing there but that viewpoint.
Old 11-20-2020, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuvik View Post

Nice. I've explored a fair amount thru the Park and Panamint Valley, but haven't gone in to the north end yet. I'd like to go from 190 to 168 or vice versa at some point this season. Not sure how often snow becomes an issue going thru the passes at / near Hunter Mountain as I've only gone thru there before November or after March.

Quote:

Don't let a little snow stop you. I went to my safe space near Bridgeport last week. F-ing spectacular, and pristine with no one else around except for my housewolf...

Last edited by RBShooter; 11-20-2020 at 8:03 AM..
Old 11-20-2020, 7:59 AM

I am getting my 27’ class C up to Death Valley this Thanksgiving. Do you think it will be ok with all that snow?...
Old 11-20-2020, 8:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf & Turf View Post
I am getting my 27’ class C up to Death Valley this Thanksgiving. Do you think it will be ok with all that snow?...
Are you asking me? My pics were Eastern Sierra about 9,000 ft higher in altitude than DV. I'm not aware of any snow at any place in DV that you'd want to tow a trailer to.

Last edited by RBShooter; 11-20-2020 at 2:51 PM..
Old 11-20-2020, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

Love the Bridgeport area. Know it pretty well. When we could draw an X-12 tag, we'd camp on Green Ck by Upper Summers Mdws. road. Then venture all over the area. Beautiful country, especially in the Fall. RB, where abouts are you in those pics? Not exact, just general.
Old 11-20-2020, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Love the Bridgeport area. Know it pretty well. When we could draw an X-12 tag, we'd camp on Green Ck by Upper Summers Mdws. road. Then venture all over the area. Beautiful country, especially in the Fall. RB, where abouts are you in those pics? Not exact, just general.
The first two, very close to where you probably camped, along gc rd., just can't see the ck in the background .

The bottom one was on FS roads off Mammoth Scenic Loop on way to Inyo Crater. Spent some time in Mammoth too as that's where the housewolf-friendly hotel was.

I love the Bridgeport area too. If I could swing it I'd move to Mono County in a heartbeat. At least part-time.
Old 11-23-2020, 3:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks for the tips everyone, and RBShooter that looks amazing.

I ended up going to Lone Pine and hiking around for a few days and now I am going to plan a backpacking trip.

I'll be posting a question about camping with a bear canister soon... I understand, put my scented stuff in the canister, but where do I put the canister, and my pack, at night time? If I eat dinner and go to bed, won't the bear smell food on me and eat me when I am sleeping?
Old 11-23-2020, 3:51 PM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Quote:
Thanks for the tips everyone, and RBShooter that looks amazing.

I ended up going to Lone Pine and hiking around for a few days and now I am going to plan a backpacking trip.

I'll be posting a question about camping with a bear canister soon... I understand, put my scented stuff in the canister, but where do I put the canister, and my pack, at night time? If I eat dinner and go to bed, won't the bear smell food on me and eat me when I am sleeping?
Bear canister goes away from your camp. Stuff it down between a couple rocks etc. Don't put it near a cliff or hill in case a bear decides to play canister soccer.

Protocol says to eat dinner away from where your tent is, but, yes, the bear will smell you and the food on you. I sleep with my backpack either in my tent or in the vestibule.

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché

Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?
Old 11-23-2020, 3:57 PM
CGN Contributor

They can be strung up in a tree also with 550 cord. Oh yeah don't fart in you sleeping bag, you could be mistaken for a burrito.
Old 11-23-2020, 4:28 PM

Last fall I was camping with my housewolf up outside of Twin Lakes/Bridgeport. Turned in early, 8 or 9 pm. Few hours later, woke up to the housewolf staring at the wall of the tent (a big octagonal Eureka) and snarling. He then proceeded to pace all the way around the tent, staring at the walls and snarling. After awhile he calmed down. Then it happened again. And again. And again. Freaked me out! Ended up sleeping fully clothed, with my headlamp on my head and my G20 on my chest. Don't know what was out there, but laying down on the ground and envisioning a bear right outside is a crazy vulnerable feeling.
Old 11-23-2020, 8:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBShooter View Post
Last fall I was camping with my housewolf up outside of Twin Lakes/Bridgeport. Turned in early, 8 or 9 pm. Few hours later, woke up to the housewolf staring at the wall of the tent (a big octagonal Eureka) and snarling. He then proceeded to pace all the way around the tent, staring at the walls and snarling. After awhile he calmed down. Then it happened again. And again. And again. Freaked me out! Ended up sleeping fully clothed, with my headlamp on my head and my G20 on my chest. Don't know what was out there, but laying down on the ground and envisioning a bear right outside is a crazy vulnerable feeling.
Dang it... this is why I backpack in the desert or San Jacinto where there are no bears. I guess the only thing that could have been out there would be a bear, racoon, fox, wild dog, possum, skunk, or very unlikely, a mountain lion. Considering that, might it have helped to start yelling at it?
Old 11-24-2020, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Dang it... this is why I backpack in the desert or San Jacinto where there are no bears. I guess the only thing that could have been out there would be a bear, racoon, fox, wild dog, possum, skunk, or very unlikely, a mountain lion. Considering that, might it have helped to start yelling at it?
And get it pissed it off, lol??

Seriously tho, after thinking about it the past year, yeah, the smart thing would've been to just grab the flashlight and air horn and go out and see what was out there. In hindsight I'm thinking it was probably just deer. the campground was a ghost town and there were deer everywhere. Obviously I don't get out of the big city enough.

Last edited by RBShooter; 11-25-2020 at 8:09 AM..
Old 11-24-2020, 1:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBShooter View Post
If you were camping anywhere near Mono Village or Sawmill, Robinson campgrounds, more than likely a black bear. Every time I've camped in that area, we get visited by those guys. If they're on their own, some noise usually spooks them off. If there are cubs with them, be damn careful.
Old 11-24-2020, 7:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
If you were camping anywhere near Mono Village or Sawmill, Robinson campgrounds, more than likely a black bear. Every time I've camped in that area, we get visited by those guys. If they're on their own, some noise usually spooks them off. If there are cubs with them, be damn careful.
I shouldn't be such a nancy about bears. I know they can kill me easily and if I ate some peanut butter crackers before bed they might just eat me.

This is irrational though, because people camp in bear country every day without trouble. I need to learn the right way to do it. Like if I carry a cliff bar wrapper in my backpack and then put it in the bear canister at night, won't my pack smell like a cliff bar? If I put the pack in my tent or vestibule will a bear get at it it?

What am I supposed to do?
Old 11-27-2020, 5:49 PM

I have backpacked all over Yosemite and the eastern Sierra for over 40 years and much of that time was before the invention of bear canisters. I hung my food and never lost it to bears.

My pack has always stayed with me in my shelter. I usually use a rain fly so I can save on weight and in winter I use something like this: https://www.blackdiamondequipment.co...1.html#start=1

On a rare occasion I have had a bear come snooping near my tent. That is why I make sure I have some rocks near it. I come out with my light and toss a few rocks at the bear while yelling at it and every time it moves on.

CA black bears are wimps. I have car camped extensively, especially at Mono Village and this was the nightly routine. I have scared off mother bears with their cubs. I am smart about it, I always make sure there is a tree or vehicle near by so I can dash behind if the bear decides to charge. I only had one charge and it was a male. He stopped when he almost hit the tree.

Most of the younger bears run for the nearest tree and climb it and stay in the tree for an hour or two. Females with cubs often just leave. Always give them an escape route and they will take it.

The most exciting encounter I had was opening the tent and coming face to face with a bear. He took off running before I could even react.

Do not overthink it. You will never eliminate all food odors. A bear's sense of smell is so much better than ours.

A vote is clearly much more dangerous than a gun.

Why advocate restrictions on one right (voting) without comparable restrictions on another (self defense) (or, why not say 'Be a U.S. citizen' as the requirement for CCW)?

--Librarian