Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Bernardino Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2015, 6:15 PM

Default steele peak on fire

went to go shoot and saw a heli and firefighters.

LAME
Old 06-06-2015, 6:19 PM

No bueno
Old 06-06-2015, 6:20 PM

Old 06-06-2015, 6:47 PM
CGSSA Associate

Sport shooting on public lands in SoCal this time of the year requires extreme diligence. It looks like it was contained to a small area but ultimately reflects poorly on us all.
Old 06-06-2015, 8:13 PM

I was just there. I hate to see this happen. Steele peaks already has had many warnings with trash now with the fire that happened, i doesnt look too good for us shooters.
Old 06-07-2015, 8:18 AM

Always carry a extinguisher with me when I head out doors to shoot, oh and trash bags.

Sorry for the typos (sent from phone)
Old 06-07-2015, 11:57 AM

Damn
Old 06-07-2015, 12:49 PM

Crap...get ready to drive

gb
Old 06-30-2015, 11:29 PM

Dang, I was there a month or two ago, and found out they placed some no shooting signs, of course it didnt stop some people already there shooting their AR
Old 07-23-2015, 9:19 PM

Is it open?
Old 07-23-2015, 9:51 PM
CGSSA Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladewurk View Post
Is it open?
Not yet, around Oct or Nov it should be back open to recreational shooting. Hunting its still open.

Old 07-26-2015, 9:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Honestly do you all see this place staying open even with CGN cleanups? I stopped going I just hit BLM further away. My money is on it being closed permanently in next few years. Too many people know about it now and too many problems.
Old 07-27-2015, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Swan View Post
Honestly do you all see this place staying open even with CGN cleanups? I stopped going I just hit BLM further away. My money is on it being closed permanently in next few years. Too many people know about it now and too many problems.
This is how I feel about SP also. I hope I'm wrong though.

The trash is one thing, but the nail in the coffin for SP will probably be a fatality or serious injury.

I've seen repeated flagrant breaches of safety protocol out there, and not just by young knuckleheads. I posted about an incident in which a family outing was shooting directly into rocks and causing ricochets, purer00r even called me out on it and said I should have been more persistent about insisting they be more cautious.

I respect purer00r's right to want to inform people about safe practices (which I did), but I'm not there to enforce common sense at my own peril (which I did not).

Bottom line is, many people use that spot, and not nearly enough have had proper training in safe handling practices. Someone got hit by a ricochet last year, it was in the Press Enterprise even.

BLM knows how crowded it gets out there, they also know people don't obey posted regulations.

Trash is only a small part of the problem, but it's a great gauge as to how much traffic that place gets.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrider View Post
This is how I feel about SP also. I hope I'm wrong though.

The trash is one thing, but the nail in the coffin for SP will probably be a fatality or serious injury.

I've seen repeated flagrant breaches of safety protocol out there, and not just by young knuckleheads. I posted about an incident in which a family outing was shooting directly into rocks and causing ricochets, purer00r even called me out on it and said I should have been more persistent about insisting they be more cautious.

I respect purer00r's right to want to inform people about safe practices (which I did), but I'm not there to enforce common sense at my own peril (which I did not).

Bottom line is, many people use that spot, and not nearly enough have had proper training in safe handling practices. Someone got hit by a ricochet last year, it was in the Press Enterprise even.

BLM knows how crowded it gets out there, they also know people don't obey posted regulations.

Trash is only a small part of the problem, but it's a great gauge as to how much traffic that place gets.
I agree with you , the safety aspect is the one that will probably get Steele Peak shut down. I have been there late in the evenings and non-shooting personnel are dumping their construction debris , used carpets or roof shingles. " with licence their plates removed "

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
Old problems are like dry poop, if you let the dry poop sit it doesn't smell but the minute you decide to stir the poop with a stick, the smell comes back. Moral of the story, Don't bring up old problems!
Old 08-01-2015, 10:07 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray02945 View Post
Dang, I was there a month or two ago, and found out they placed some no shooting signs, of course it didnt stop some people already there shooting their AR
If you are referring to the lower area near the entrance, that is because it is too close to the road and anyone shooting there is violating the law. I know it doesn't stop them as you saw, but I wondered if that was the area you were referring to.