Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:32 AM

Default What are academies looking for in cadets?

I'm trying to get into the Napa Community College Post Academy as a non affiliate.
How do they select cadets? I saw on the website that they seem to be very military veteran friendly and I am a vet.
I've read the "application process" and unless I missed something it doesn't really cover how you get accepted, just different ways to prepare.
Thank you.
Airsoft dork
How Useful Is Airsoft As A Training Tool?
Old 04-12-2009, 10:50 AM

it is a college course, if you meet their application requirements you are in. They most likely have you buy your equipment and such, and will probably yell and scream at you, but as long as you meet the app. requirements, you can get in. Staying in is a different thing. When you get in, hook up with somebody who is being sponsored (hired by a department) and get as much info from them as you can. Being a vet, you already know how to march, drill and ceremony is kind of important as most academy's are para-military. if they do conduct interviews, dress in a suit and tie or if female an appropriate business suit. learn about the academy and the college staff because they will ask questions about it. Good luck
Old 04-12-2009, 11:21 AM

I would also suggest you start PT'ing on your own, it is better if you show up in shape that way all you have to worry about is the course work and the PT and PT tests will not be a problem for you.
Old 04-12-2009, 1:13 PM

Maturity.
Old 04-12-2009, 3:27 PM

Be Humble and somewhat in shape. Don't be salty... Admit your mistakes, have things organized, and be a team player.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." ---George Orwell on a BBC broadcast, April 4, 1942

"Fast is fine. Accuracy is final. You need to learn to shoot slow, real fast." ---Wyatt Earp
Old 04-12-2009, 4:26 PM
Calguns Addict

I've taken a bunch of in service at the Napa academy, and I know several of the instructors. It is fairly well regimented in a military manner. Personal discipline and personal integrity are the keys. If you have military experience you will be ahead of that game. You'll have to formally march in and out of class, any time you see a uniformed LEO on the campus you are required to come to attention. Do not make any jokes about sexual orientation, ever.

You'll have to pass the the POST diagnostic reading test prior to starting. If you can get past English 1A in college, you'll be okay. Napa also administers a physical agility test and to gain admission you have to meet or exceed the following standards...

** Run 1.5 miles within 17 minutes,
** Perform 17 push-ups within one minute,
** Perform 25 sit-ups within one minute.

Assuming you pass the DRT and the physical agility you would need to obtain a DOJ firearms clearance prior to any range training, register for the class through the college, procure uniforms etc. As above, you will need to be organized and you will need to be a team player. Expect to be there at minimum five days per week, sometimes six, and a bunch of nights.

You have to submit an online app for the entrance exam which can be found at http://www.nvccjtc.org/nvctestreg.html if you haven't already seen / submitted it.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison

Last edited by BigDogatPlay; 04-12-2009 at 4:32 PM..