Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:29 PM

Thanks to this thread I was able to make a very solid base for my safe on top of my post-tensioned slab. I scored the existing slab using the OP's method, created a form that perfectly fit the upper edge of the existing slab line, cut and tied rebar to the rebar spacers, painted on the concrete adhesive and poured the high-strength concrete all in about a day and a half. The hardest part was loading the 12 bags of concrete into the truck at Lowes!

Before:

After:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Luvr View Post
I beg to differ. The full length dust cover rail makes a world of difference in the "when I run out of bullets I'm going to beat you to death with the pistol" look that causes bad guys to run in fear, and lesser men to feel inadequate. It looks just plain beastly and the extra heft up front does help manage recoil a bit better. Plus, an angel told me that when God called JMB to heaven it was to build him a full rail 1911!
Old 05-26-2014, 1:11 AM

Very cool thread. I trust Ops knowledge on the matter. Seems like a safe and well done venture. What are your opinions on securing closet safes?
Old 05-27-2014, 7:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vz58man View Post
Very cool thread. I trust Ops knowledge on the matter. Seems like a safe and well done venture. What are your opinions on securing closet safes?
I would only put a safe somewhere you can secure it to the slab, so for that reason closets are out for me. If you have a floor with joists in it, then lagging it to a joist will probably do as well as you could.

For Sale: Off Roster CZ, Browning, PTR 91 Moving Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you for this DIY.
Old 05-19-2016, 8:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post
drilling a two inch deep hole in any concrete is going to snap a tendon as often as airliners having a head on. Use epoxy to secure the anchors, not redheads.

Too much rebar, too many dobies (they create a void). Mesh pulled up to the middle of the pour would have been ten times better.

But, a good training project for sure.
I guess I'm with stupid,

Only 40 years fixing stuff and I wonder how many here have actually hit rebar drilling concrete?

http://www.ptia.org.au/Documents/PTI...labs_Dec14.pdf

"Class 1 (Small Drilled Hole – no tendons cut)
Minimal risk to structural integrity
Penetration size is 20mm or less and does not cut tendons. e.g. post drilled fixings.

This type of penetration may be made anywhere in the structure, however the
design of the inserting element is to be carried out by a competent engineer and
resultant forces checked on the slab capacity remembering that PT slabs often have
minimal conventional reinforcement."

http://www.amsyscoinc.com/2010/01/29...nsion-strands/

Tendons are about 4 times as strong as rebar and consist of 7 strands so damaging all seven, well that's kinda like that head on jet airliner deal if you're using a cheap Home Depot carbide bit and a regular drill. You ain't getting thru it, really, do you even lift?

Most engineers never had a pair of knee pads on in their lives but I can assure you they can design stuff that can't be washed or used properly.

Drill baby Drill

Old 06-10-2016, 12:27 AM

Default helpful info

very informative writeup
Old 06-10-2016, 12:30 AM

Default Cautious

it is quite risky, drilling. Let professional have a go.
Old 06-15-2016, 9:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolpalmer View Post
it is quite risky, drilling. Let professional have a go.
You have to be a total moron to actively decide to just blindly drill into a PT slab. However, morons are a source of job security for construction companies worldwide.

+1 to if you don't know, ask a pro.

For Sale: Off Roster CZ, Browning, PTR 91 Moving Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.
Old 06-15-2016, 9:53 AM
Doesn't Abide
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Good info, Lot of guys would forget the Acryl 60 in the step 8 you provided.
Old 06-15-2016, 4:36 PM
Banned

Did we hire Carol to pump you up?

Sorry but all you've done is applied a bunch of weight to the bottom of your safe. It's not secured to the floor in any way shape or form. Lets not forget that concrete shrinks and will dislocate the adhesion to the slab all by itself over time. You didn't even follow Sika's instruction of a 1/16" fractured surface for adhesion properties. General that needed some mules to direct eh? I doubt that would even work after everything cured and I slam that make shift slab with a sledge a few times jarring my teeth. Then apply a nice 5 ft. pry bar on those corner studs at top of safe (wow the leverage baby) lifting the slab just enough to slide a wedge under it or just drive the steel wedge from the beginning and forget jarring my teeth. Sledge again, timber.

But in all seriousness I would just bring a saw and be inside in less than 3 minutes drinking your beer in the fridge.

Thanks for the entertainment, that why I love Calguns.
Old 06-15-2016, 6:33 PM
Banned

And I really don't care what you say. Your tools are new, you have no practical experience at commercial maintenance for 40 years like me.

I will drive wedges under your slab as sure as the sun rises and tip that beast of a safe over. Been there done that.

I've hit rebar probably a couple dozen times in my life. Just like a safe cracker, I know what it feels like when you do.

(1) call back in 40 years......

Old 11-09-2019, 2:11 PM
CGN Contributor

First time I’ve seen this thread. Time to bring it back to life!

I hold ICC certifications in Reinforced Concrete, PT, Masonry, as well as installers/inspectors certs in epoxy doweling. I was the lead inspector on a couple PT high rises in the city and have stressed over 1,000 bonded and unbonded cables, even surviving 2 breaks that could have ended my life. I have gpr’d hundreds of thousands of sq ft of concrete and watched thousands upon thousands of anchors drilled and installed.

It is nearly impossible to drill through a PT cable with a standard masonry bit. I would be more worried about creating micro-fractures in and around your work area that will lead to increased degradation of the concrete, especially when considering the fact that you will be moving and placing a safe there. Cracking up your slab that is under stress from the cables is not a good idea. That said, given the minimum concrete cover and required embedment of a good anchor, chances are slim you’ll even hit one.

No advice to give, that’s not in my job description.
Old 11-09-2019, 2:49 PM

I anchored my safes into my PT slab on a newer home (14 years old) and it was fine, perhaps just luck... but for those who want to play it safe, sturdy safe has this clever option here:

https://www.sturdysafe.com/pages/mou...e-for-gun-safe