Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:03 PM
Banned

Question ,,,,,,

I may .

Last edited by Foriegn power; 01-04-2014 at 1:51 PM..
Old 04-23-2013, 11:29 PM

The low ride is a pain when sitting in the car at least for me. i use the mid level 2 safari. If you do a level 3 just make sure to train a ton. I know we shot a ton at the academy so i don't want to mess with muscle memory.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:37 PM

Find out what policy allows. Don't spend $130 bucks on something you can't use. Safariland ALS holsters are better than SLS (though they share the hood mechanism).

That said, I use mid-ride, level 3. Used to have a Raptor, now I've got the 6360. Happy with both. "Drop" holsters = specialized units and motors. As a phase1 trainee you'd be openly laughed at if you showed up with a thigh rig, though I'm not sure what that 1.5" drop you're talking about looks like when it's actually being worn.

Last edited by rolncode3; 04-23-2013 at 11:39 PM..
Old 04-24-2013, 1:38 AM

Worry about making it through training before you buy a bunch of gear. But to answer your question, I use a blackhawk level 3 drop leg holster. It works great and I can get my G22 out quickly, the down side is in the academy your trained to trap your gun on your hip if someone trys to grab it and lock your arm into it. If someone grabs your glock on your thigh, your using only shoulder strength to stop them. Just something to think about.
Old 04-24-2013, 6:21 AM

The 1.5 inch drop on the Safariland isn't really much. Not terribly noticeable. Definitely doesn't appear as a "drop leg" holster. I've got one and its pretty comfortable.
Old 04-24-2013, 7:37 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacmedic View Post
The 1.5 inch drop on the Safariland isn't really much. Not terribly noticeable. Definitely doesn't appear as a "drop leg" holster. I've got one and its pretty comfortable.
The -5 holsters from Safariland, such as the 6285, is what I have used for more than a decade. The 1.5" drop puts the gun butt even with the top of the duty belt, so it gets it out of the way where it might dig into your body and it works perfectly for me because I don't like bending my elbows all the way up to get to a mid-ride 6280 or worse, a high ride Model 2 which I hated.

Use what you are comfortable with and what your department policy allows. It's your life and you need to be comfortable with your gear, even if you have to pay for it. I don't get how people can put up with gear they can't stand or use just because they have to buy their own if they don't want the free gear from the department. What is your life worth?

As for retention, my SLS holster never has failed me, and I put in the optional sentry latch as well as the hood guard. I feel pretty good about it.
Old 04-24-2013, 7:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
The -5 holsters from Safariland, such as the 6285, is what I have used for more than a decade. The 1.5" drop puts the gun butt even with the top of the duty belt, so it gets it out of the way where it might dig into your body and it works perfectly for me because I don't like bending my elbows all the way up to get to a mid-ride 6280 or worse, a high ride Model 2 which I hated.

Use what you are comfortable with and what your department policy allows. It's your life and you need to be comfortable with your gear, even if you have to pay for it. I don't get how people can put up with gear they can't stand or use just because they have to buy their own if they don't want the free gear from the department. What is your life worth?

As for retention, my SLS holster never has failed me, and I put in the optional sentry latch as well as the hood guard. I feel pretty good about it.
+1 agree. I found that I can draw my duty gun consistently faster and smoother with the 1.5" low ride drop.
Old 04-24-2013, 9:00 AM

rolncode3 is correct. Find out what policy allows first.

Having said that I liked and used the mid level. It was high enough to trap and be comfortable in the car. Also low enough for the jacket.
Old 04-24-2013, 9:38 AM

I agree with Notorius on the sentry latch. Makes the level II feel more secure when you are in those situations with a lot of people around. Also, the 1.5 drop is a good compromise but like everyone else has said, go with what you've trained with. There is no substitute for muscle memory when fractions of a second count.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:19 AM

I run a Safariland with the hood and the ALS lever. I prefer the 1.5 " drop mount on mine as it keeps my weapon high enough to be able to sit but no so high to make my draw stroke feel " cramped". Some have commented to me about having to do a Kabuki dance to draw my weapon in a life or death situation but I have not found this to be any issue at all. Hand goes down, thumb pressure move hood forward......as hand starts to come up thumb swipes release lever. It,s all very intuitive and smooth as long as you get your repetitions in ( of course you will)
Old 04-24-2013, 11:34 AM
Banned

Hhhhh

Last edited by Foriegn power; 12-14-2013 at 9:25 PM..
Old 04-24-2013, 12:23 PM

Congratulations! If you think you are nervous now, just wait for your first call! Unless you already know what is allowed by your agency, I would also wait to purchase any new gear. I use a mid ride safariland.
Old 04-24-2013, 3:31 PM

I lowered my holster about 4 inches from the belt line. Because the Surefire light sticks out beyond the muzzle, the standard holster interfered with the draw. When I lowered it, it felt more natural and faster.

Last edited by micro911; 04-24-2013 at 5:42 PM..
Old 04-24-2013, 6:55 PM
Firearms Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Congratulations!

I find low ride holsters a pain in the car, and thigh holsters on patrol generally very "wannabe" unless your normal patrol uniform consists of bulky external body armor that warrants it. Really high ride holsters tend to make drawing a handgun with an attached light somewhat cumbersome.

I prefer a mid-ride, level 2 retention holster (e.g., Safariland SLS). I know a lot of guys really like level 3 holsters, but I was trained to ensure I could get my gun our with either hand, in the event that my dominant hand was disabled. I have yet to meet a cop who can get his gun out of a level three holster (such as the holsters with the two snaps, one on the thumb break and one on the back of the holster) with his off hand, much less do it quickly.

Right now I carry the Safariland ALS due to Department mandate. It's comfortable, and both locking mechanisms can easily be manipulated with my off hand. I know a lot of cops also like the "hood" on the holster, since it supposedly makes it harder for someone to take your gun away in a front grab. Again, I find the hood makes it very difficult to get my gun out in an emergency with my off hand, so I politely decline to wear it. I prefer to just train on my gun retention techniques more frequently.

Obviously, this is all a matter of personal preference, risk assessments, and Department policy. You will probably wind up like most cops with a bag full of holsters before you find what you really like. No one way is right or wrong - it's what works for you.

Best of luck on the new career!
Old 04-24-2013, 9:33 PM
Banned

Hhhhhh

Last edited by Foriegn power; 12-14-2013 at 9:25 PM..
Old 04-24-2013, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drider View Post
I also found out I am allowed to carry a back up pistol. *edited*
That's a topic I think some of us won't necessarily publicly talk about...just like how much ammo we carry. Gun choice, no problem, but not where it's carried. I will privately discuss with other LEOs though.

Last edited by rolncode3; 04-25-2013 at 1:39 AM..
Old 04-25-2013, 12:51 AM
Veteran Member

I have no problem discussing where to carry a BUG. It's not a big secret how many places we can carry a BUG and baddies train to take away our main weapons and BUG's everyday in jail.

Really, how many places are there? Vest, front pocket, boot, back pocket, or you can always tape it to your back like Bruce Willis. It's no big secret.

The baddies that still don't know we carry backups? Well, putting it here won't enlighten them any if they don't know by now. The only people that are still surprised cops carry more than 1 gun are those sheep in society that still think nothing bad will happen to them. Baddies know better. Heck, baddies carry backup weapons too.
Old 04-25-2013, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drider View Post
I also found out I am allowed to carry a back up pistol. I think I will carry my Glock 26.
Good choice. I wish I'd gotten a G27 instead of the Kahr CW45 I carry. Nice having a big-bore, but don't like the trigger. I laugh at the Ruger LCPs I see the other guys carrying.
Old 04-25-2013, 6:45 AM
Veteran Member

It's better than nothing, but yeah, the one time I got caught needing something and I had the LCP, it wasn't a good feeling at all.