Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 12-29-2018, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta34 View Post
Wait...he has no custody of his children and that isnít a background issue? Did I misread it?
She didnít want me involved or around the child only money after it was born literally her words. This was all less then a year ago knowing I wanted to get into law Enforcement instead of just working security I didnít want to contest nor did my family oppose I just do my monthly payments and have no contact with the mom so far no issues and she canít talk to me directly.
Old 12-29-2018, 6:26 PM

So you know you have a child but are willingly choosing to not be part of his/her life? Glad you arenít applying to my agency.
Old 12-29-2018, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta34 View Post
So you know you have a child but are willingly choosing to not be part of his/her life? Glad you arenít applying to my agency.
Respectfully you do not know everything nor do I care your thoughts honestly I did what was best to be able to support the child without a nasty custody situation even visitation with all that could if went bad affect my current employment. So I did what was tough but best to still keep my decent paying job to support the child.
Old 01-12-2019, 4:18 PM

Default Detention Service Officer hiring....

I took the written test last August. I found out that last week I passed the test. I asked when the interview would be and they were unable to give me a date and time yet.
Captain Mike, is the Probation Department actively hiring DSO's or are they just collecting applications?
Old 01-12-2019, 6:55 PM

actively hiring. we have had an academy every 8 weeks for the last 5 years. we are still short just under 1000 officers. We are closing some camps but are expanding in the field. they may slow classes in March through june as we continue the reorg of camps. but after that, we are still really short. when I processed 20 years ago. it took 14 months to be offered the job. hang in there but it does take time.
Old 01-26-2019, 3:29 AM

What is the tattoo policy? I am sure while in the academy it’s the standard must be covered but what is it like after the academy for GSN and DSO? I know some general basics like can’t be gang related or offensive or hate associated, but do they have rules on sizes or or sleeves? I know Glendale police allow sleeves but must be covered and a 2 inch rule from the wrist
Old 01-26-2019, 7:03 AM

sleeves are fine but you are wearing long sleeve uniforms for your career. no offensive, gang related or racist tattoos. you can have as many as you want as long as they are not visible when in uniform. no neck, wrist or hand tattoos. The department will issue you long sleave shirts in the academy and you replace them each year with your uniform allowance.
Old 02-04-2019, 8:56 AM

Hi Captain Mike, so I took the DSO interview last week and felt it went great. How long does the department take to calculate what band you rated in?
Old 03-03-2019, 9:30 PM

In the process for the third time, hopefully they hire me this time!
Old 03-03-2019, 9:34 PM

I think I'd like probation more than DCFS. I just enjoy dealing more with the criminal court and the at-risk youth. Can anyone share their experience with probation? Approx time as DSO to become DPO 2? A DPO 2, what is their caseload? Promotion opportunity as DSO to Senior DSO and Supervisor?
Old 03-09-2019, 11:37 AM

Default Detention Services Officer hiring....

Hi Captain Mike and all. I just received my results, which put me in Band 2. How long do you think it will be before being contacted from the Eligibility List?

Thank you.
Old 03-09-2019, 7:48 PM

about a month to two.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:39 AM

I'm pretty excited about being rated in Band 2. I hope they continue the process at a steady pace, especially with the FY2020 coming July 1st.
Captain Mike, do you anticipate a slowdown? Here in federal land, each department tries to spend as much as they can before the end of the fiscal year. If they don't, Central Office will cut their budget down and expect them to work more with less. Also, is backgrounds the next step for me?
Old 03-19-2019, 7:57 AM

there is a little slowdown over the next 2 to 3 months as I mentioned before. The budget is an issue but that does not usually affect hiring as we have lots of vacant items. Once the department makes its adjustments with possibly closing a hall, the process will start back up. We still have people retiring and leaving the department for better paying departments every month.

So even after the closing, we will most likely get back to hiring as normal.

your next step is to start the background and slowly progress through all the other exams. usually one exam a month. good luck
Old 03-23-2019, 1:34 PM

If I had to hazard a guess, it would be Central Juvenile Hall. It's old, decrepit, and old fashioned. The question is: what would they do with those juveniles and staff?
Old 03-23-2019, 11:03 PM

populations are dropping monthly. Two halls will be able to absorb the youth from third hall when it closes. and you guessed wrong.
Old 04-11-2019, 4:29 PM

Hi Captain Mike. As the great Tom Petty sang, "The waiting is the hardest part."

Is there any news regarding hiring? Are they on hold until the fiscal year? Are there any upcoming academies? In 3 months, I'll have been in the process for a year.....and I'm only on the 3rd step.......rated at Band 2 and waiting to take the next step.
Thank you for keeping me informed.
Old 04-11-2019, 9:40 PM

no news. see previous post for approximate timeline. not on hold, still processing although slower. yes. June or July for next academy.

hang in there. I hear LASD and border patrol are fast tracking folks.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:22 PM

Hi all, new poster here. Been following this thread and there is a lot of good information/insight in here. Question for CaptMike, looks like the DSO position is no longer open, any insight on if they are looking to reopening position in the future for new applicants? Thanks for any input. And good luck to those in the process.
Old 04-27-2019, 6:03 PM

CaptainMike will the Dept be promoting DPOlís ?
Old 04-27-2019, 11:16 PM

yes, they will be promoting, but first we have to finish the shutting down of the one hall. Those staff need to be placed first, before any other movements happen. I do know they will also be promoting Sr DSO and SDSO as well soon.

hang in there.
Old 04-28-2019, 6:50 AM

We are being told Los Padrinos is shutting down. Where do they plan on housing all of these kids?
Old 04-28-2019, 11:06 AM

the other two halls.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:07 AM

Hi Captain Mike, I have a question....
I see that the county is hiring for Group Supervisor, Nights. How fast do they hire for GSN's? Say it's faster, how hard would it be to get hired/promoted to DSO? Would this be a good way to get in? Am I better off just waiting for the entire process of DSO? My only fear is that I do a good job as a GSN and they won't let me promote to DSO. Is that fear unfounded?
Thanks for your time, sir.
Old 05-07-2019, 9:20 PM

the process is the same for both. one is not faster than the other. if they offer gsn and you accept it, you still remain in the dso process, so they would offer you the dso position whether you work as a gsn or if you are a civilian off the street.
Old 05-08-2019, 3:03 PM

Thank you, Captain Mike. With no new news until July, I'll be slow roll'in through May and June.
The Probation Department may need to re-think their hiring process. It will be one year for me in July. Crazy.
Old 05-08-2019, 4:34 PM

it took me 14 months to get hired. for most it's about a year, pretty typical for law enforcement application process. hang in there
Old 06-19-2019, 8:59 AM

Hello Captain Mike
Well, July is around the corner, so the FY 2020 budget should be available to probation. Any news on hiring or upcoming academies? How has it been going with Los Padrinos? Have they moved out completely? Has the staff been re-allocated? Will they still need DSO's?
Yup, a million questions.....my apologies.
Btw, I am a former LA County Probation Department employee. Do you think that will make it easier when it comes to the backgrounds section?
Thanks Captain Mike.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:20 AM

I heard that we may have an academy class in late July or August. LPJH is scheduled to close on July 31 and we will still need DSO's. They have started to transfer some deputies and kids but they will not be done until my 31.
having been a former employee, it may help a little, but the background will look at what you've done since you left the Dept. hang in there,
Old 06-20-2019, 9:39 AM

I became a Fed Cop after I left Probation in 2008.
Old 08-21-2019, 6:12 AM

CaptMike, are you guys still hiring GSNís?
Old 08-23-2019, 8:06 AM

yes, but from my understanding, they are switching all hiring to AS NEEDED positions only. Essentially it is a part time position with no benefits. We are so short right now that all as needed will get as many hours as they want, but no benefits. As permanent positions open up through resignations and retirements, then some of the as needed may be offered permanent positions in the future.
Old 08-23-2019, 9:12 AM

Mike, is it a budget shortage causing all of this? Seems like you guys can't catch up
Old 08-23-2019, 8:02 PM

We just closed one of the three juvenile halls and have closed many camps. Technically, on paper, we are fully staffed to our state mandated supervision ratios of 1 deputy to 10 kids. We are currently going through a major transition in our department with the board of supervisors ordering the abolishment of OC pepper spray from our halls. This has had a major impact on our system with many people resigning and moving on to other agencies and others taking early retirement. On duty injuries have skyrocketed. To increase safety with no OC, we are trying to reduce our supervision ratio to 1 deputy to 5 youth. This has created a greater need for deputies without the board authorizing additional permanent positions. We are hoping the board does authorize those items in the future. Although the board just voted last week to put together a work group that will study the feasibility of taking the halls and camps from probation and turning them over to the department of mental health or create some other juvenile mental health department. Needless to say, with all the changes, we just cant keep up right now. The stress level is through the roof and many are moving on. Like I stated earlier, right now, those that get hired As Neededs will work as many hours as they want.
Old 08-24-2019, 9:49 AM

Captain when will DPO1 be opening soon?
Old 08-26-2019, 7:42 AM

Probably not until the beginning of the year. We have to see if the board will authorize us to reduce the staffing ratio. if they do, it would affect camps as well, increasing the need for additional DPO Is.
Old 08-26-2019, 2:04 PM

Thatll be a good thing. You forsee further camp/ hall closure?
Old 08-26-2019, 7:27 PM

no, I think this is as far as we go. we are starting to see a slight uptick in violent crime which means detention. but the board of supervisors is thinking about turning g all juvenile facilities to the DMH sp we will see what the next coue of years brings
Old 09-16-2019, 9:53 AM

Hi Captain Mike, well, I finally received a Conditional Offer of Employment email for the Detention Services Officer position. It says that if no permanent DSO positions are available at the time you finish academy, you will be considered a part-time/temporary position until a permanent position opens. My questions are:

1. Is there a time limit to this? In other words, say I work as a DSO for 12 months and there still isn't a permanent position open. Will the department lay me off? Or will I still keep going?

2. There are NO benefits??? No health, retirement, etc.?? That just dosen't seem right. What happens if a juvenile messes you up bad?

3. As a part-time/temporary, you won't receive the annual step increases?

The sad part is I waited so long for this job to open.
Is there any truth to the rumor that the county is considering giving the juvenile justice system to the State under the California Department of Mental Health? What happens to all of the DSO's?
Old 09-16-2019, 6:19 PM

Hey Fedleo, i dont thing the grass will be greener over here. I maybe urge you to stay where youre at?