Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 12-05-2014, 10:59 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapped Hide View Post
Link to Placer County approved Concealed Weapons Instructors.

http://www.placer.ca.gov/departments...ccwinstructors

I would also recommend oneononefirearms but there are other good ones as well.
Guess I need to call them again, they still have our email address wrong
Old 12-08-2014, 2:26 PM

So how are you Placer guys carrying your permits? Even folded in half that thing is kinda big and larger than a business card. Anyway found an IWB holster that will hold it?
Old 12-08-2014, 3:26 PM

Folded in quarters and stuffed in a safe place
Old 12-08-2014, 3:30 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_r_ View Post
So how are you Placer guys carrying your permits? Even folded in half that thing is kinda big and larger than a business card. Anyway found an IWB holster that will hold it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeFrank View Post
Folded in quarters and stuffed in a safe place
Quarters, in the wallet behind ID.

The wife laminated and put in purse. Lamination was OK per E-mail conversation.
Old 12-08-2014, 7:14 PM
Calguns Addict

A friend laminated his and keeps it folded in his wallet. I saw the permit - it is rather huge.

Need some AR500 targets? Free $10 credit.
https://shootingtargets7.com/store/?...pBdnFlL0FxS3M9
Old 12-09-2014, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Setter View Post
A friend laminated his and keeps it folded in his wallet. I saw the permit - it is rather huge.
Yea the only issue I have with at that is that the permit has the holders home address on it and (not that it happens often) but if the wallet were to be lost or stolen the owners home address is now in the hands of who knows who which I do not like at all.
Old 12-09-2014, 6:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Yea the only issue I have with at that is that the permit has the holders home address on it and (not that it happens often) but if the wallet were to be lost or stolen the owners home address is now in the hands of who knows who which I do not like at all.
I agree with you. It would be something that I would worry about myself.

Old 12-23-2014, 7:13 PM
Equal opportunity hater
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Here's my experience so far

April 25, 2014, Scheduled my appt. for September 11
September 6 & 7, CCW qualification from Joe Truesdale
September 11, initial interview with PCSO
September 16 - Application approved
September 17 - Livescan
Almost 8 months to the day, got the final email today and I'm picking up on Monday the 29th
Old 12-23-2014, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Almost 8 months to the day, got the final email today and I'm picking up on Monday the 29th
Makes for a nice Christmas present.

Congrats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLICESTATE View Post
It is not wise to create criminals where none exist. Especially when those newly-minted criminals may or may not be heavily armed with guns you know nothing about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by U.S. General Tony McAuliff
"Men, we are surrounded by the enemy. That means we have the greatest opportunity ever presented to an army. We can attack in any direction we choose."
Old 12-23-2014, 9:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Congrats.

Old 12-29-2014, 2:01 PM

Quote:
This actually happened to me -- lost wallet a few months ago with the permit (and everything else!) inside.

PCSO issued me a temporary duplicate and sent a new replacement (small fee, but they forgot to collect it, haha), but it does worry me that somebody out there possibly knows that I have firearms and knows where I live. (There was even a break-in of my neighbor's house over Thanksgiving weekend, while they were at work.) But hopefully the very obvious presence of security cameras around my house will sufficiently deter anyone with nefarious intents.

As for how I store the CCW: I cropped it down (paper trimmer) so that excess material was removed but all the necessary text is intact. Laminated and folded in half, it is 3-5/8" x 2-1/2" -- still larger than a business card or DL. But it does fit (barely) behind my DL, in the external-facing ID pocket of my Fossil "front pocket wallet".
Old 01-15-2015, 9:20 AM
CGN Contributor

I had to do a renewal with Placer recently. The new process is pretty easy, could be better but it’s still far better than before or other options. They do walk up only now and have limited hours that are posted on the website. I showed up early morning and about 2 weeks before my permit was to expire. I was buzzed into the lobby and gave them the requested paperwork originals and copies. One of the staff took everything I brought along with my renewal fee and reviewed it in back for several minutes. He came back with my new permit for me to sign and thumb print then said if approved I will see it in the mail in about 2 weeks. He then extended my existing permit with a rubber stamp and a signature to the end of the next month should my new permit be delayed. Any gun modifications on the new permit are not valid until I get it but I still can carry per the old permit till the new expiration.

Total process about 20 minutes. And yes I did have to provide my GC again. Nothing much changed on my end so I don’t anticipate any issues. My wife had a big stamp with the 8 or so restrictions; as I walked away I didn't remember seeing them on the back of my to be issued permit. I will update if they are there in 2 weeks.
Old 01-15-2015, 7:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
I had to do a renewal with Placer recently. The new process is pretty easy, could be better but it뭩 still far better than before or other options. They do walk up only now and have limited hours that are posted on the website. I showed up early morning and about 2 weeks before my permit was to expire. I was buzzed into the lobby and gave them the requested paperwork originals and copies. One of the staff took everything I brought along with my renewal fee and reviewed it in back for several minutes. He came back with my new permit for me to sign and thumb print then said if approved I will see it in the mail in about 2 weeks. He then extended my existing permit with a rubber stamp and a signature to the end of the next month should my new permit be delayed. Any gun modifications on the new permit are not valid until I get it but I still can carry per the old permit till the new expiration.

Total process about 20 minutes. And yes I did have to provide my GC again. Nothing much changed on my end so I don뭪 anticipate any issues. My wife had a big stamp with the 8 or so restrictions; as I walked away I didn't remember seeing them on the back of my to be issued permit. I will update if they are there in 2 weeks.
Was your GC > SD? (Was your Good Cause more than mere "self-defense"?)

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 01-16-2015, 7:46 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Was your GC > SD? (Was your Good Cause more than mere "self-defense"?)
On the renewal application it says that self-defense alone is not sufficient GC. This has been true for anything I have heard/experienced in Placer.
Old 01-20-2015, 8:47 AM

Just curious if anyone has successfully added to their Placer CCW a non-roster handgun that was originally purchased via SSE, with the DROS paperwork indicating a caliber other than the handgun's true caliber. (For example, since my VP9 was SSEd with a .25 single shot barrel, my DROS paperwork indicates .25 as the caliber.) I've been reading a few other threads how other counties (like Orange and Riverside) IAs were denying handguns with mismatched calibers. Just wondering if that is the case in Placer as well.
Old 01-20-2015, 9:09 AM
Equal opportunity hater
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi888 View Post
Just curious if anyone has successfully added to their Placer CCW a non-roster handgun that was originally purchased via SSE, with the DROS paperwork indicating a caliber other than the handgun's true caliber. (For example, since my VP9 was SSEd with a .25 single shot barrel, my DROS paperwork indicates .25 as the caliber.) I've been reading a few other threads how other counties (like Orange and Riverside) IAs were denying handguns with mismatched calibers. Just wondering if that is the case in Placer as well.
There is no caliber issue with Placer County and SSE. All they care about is what you put down as the caliber and that it matches what is on the qualification cert. I have called and discussed this with them so this is not hearsay.
Old 01-20-2015, 9:13 AM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi888 View Post
Just curious if anyone has successfully added to their Placer CCW a non-roster handgun that was originally purchased via SSE

Not a problem in Placer - looking at my permit confirms it
Old 01-20-2015, 9:19 AM

Awesome. Thanks ChappedHide and SkyHawk!
Old 01-22-2015, 8:20 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
My wife had a big stamp with the 8 or so restrictions; as I walked away I didn't remember seeing them on the back of my to be issued permit. I will update if they are there in 2 weeks.
They are there. I didn't see them this time as they are printed on; so looking from the front you don't see the shadow of them from the back.
Old 02-04-2015, 7:51 PM

So I have my interview on the 10th. And I'm filling out my application. I have 1 traffic violation for a red light. Problem is I don't remember when I got it or the citation number. I know it was late 2010 early 2011. Any advice?
Also I will be leaving straight from work and we have a required uniform. Should I change ?
Old 02-04-2015, 8:05 PM
Calguns Addict

^ It depends on your uniform. However, I personally would change into something more business casual at the least.

Old 02-04-2015, 8:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo58 View Post
Hello to all, I recently moved to Roseville from So Cal. I just had my interview for my CCW and thought I would share my experience.

As to the good cause statement, do it on a separate piece of paper, like a letter addressed to the Sheriff....don't put a statement in your application,, leave it blank, or just put the words "See Attached". I am a business owner and have odd hours and travel, so my situation and need may be different from yours. Self defense is not a good reason with out other reasons.
Quote:
On the renewal application it says that self-defense alone is not sufficient GC. This has been true for anything I have heard/experienced in Placer.
Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks.

Last edited by Paladin; 02-06-2015 at 8:52 AM..
Old 02-04-2015, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Setter View Post
^ It depends on your uniform. However, I personally would change into something more business casual at the least.
What about my red light ticket? And my uniform is pressed white collar shirt, blue slacks and black polished shoes. I do pest control. And it's in the morning so it will be fresh.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 304tmt View Post
So I have my interview on the 10th. And I'm filling out my application. I have 1 traffic violation for a red light. Problem is I don't remember when I got it or the citation number. I know it was late 2010 early 2011. Any advice?
Also I will be leaving straight from work and we have a required uniform. Should I change ?
Any other advice from anyone?
Old 02-05-2015, 11:49 AM

I would think that as long as you acknowledge it and give them a window to work with, you'd be OK. I did the same on my (San Joaquin) application... told them "late '95 or early '96..." Good luck.

tiocfaidh r l
Bobby Sands
Old 02-06-2015, 7:45 AM

Default Driving Record

Go to your local DMV and as for a driving record print out. Be sure to ask for the 10 year history. I think it costs about $8.00. They print it while you wait.

For the interview have everything completed and all your documents available and copied.

See my previous post 11/1/14.

I was issued my CCW Jan 5, 2015. It took 8 weeks from the Live Scan

Last edited by indigo58; 02-06-2015 at 7:48 AM..
Old 02-06-2015, 8:50 AM
Equal opportunity hater
CGN Contributor

Quote:
What about my red light ticket? And my uniform is pressed white collar shirt, blue slacks and black polished shoes. I do pest control. And it's in the morning so it will be fresh.
Just give them the dates to the best of you knowledge. They will have the exact information on the print outs in front of them. I don't see your uniform being an issue, I showed up in jeans, a nice tee shirt and tennis shoes.

Last edited by Chapped Hide; 02-06-2015 at 12:11 PM..
Old 02-08-2015, 2:31 AM

Currently, a GC statement is optional. I'm thinking if I wrote one, and put something down like "I hike and fish often, need protection from predators," that they may restrict my permit to just that activity. I read in an above post about restrictions, but not sure what that means. Are there restrictions? IF so, I might not add a GC statement for fear of limiting myself. Thoughts?
Old 02-08-2015, 1:55 PM
Equal opportunity hater
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliArmed View Post
Currently, a GC statement is optional. I'm thinking if I wrote one, and put something down like "I hike and fish often, need protection from predators," that they may restrict my permit to just that activity. I read in an above post about restrictions, but not sure what that means. Are there restrictions? IF so, I might not add a GC statement for fear of limiting myself. Thoughts?
In Placer Co. a good cause statement is not optional, it is required. Your cause stated above will not suffice as I had a similar statement and was told by the CCW agency that it would not work.
Old 02-10-2015, 9:06 AM

Had my interview today. Everything went well. Interviewer said sse guns a now a no go in placer. Not sure what to do about that considering 2 of the 3 hangun I own are sse....
Old 02-10-2015, 2:30 PM
Equal opportunity hater
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Had my interview today. Everything went well. Interviewer said sse guns a now a no go in placer. Not sure what to do about that considering 2 of the 3 hangun I own are sse....
Curious to know how they know it was purchased via SSE. I Asked them personally a couple of months ago if there was an issue with the caliber the gun was SSE'd in and they said "no". All they go off of is the serial number and caliber on the qualification certificate. Two of the guns on my permit I just got in December were SSE'd.
Old 02-10-2015, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Your cause stated above will not suffice as I had a similar statement and was told by the CCW agency that it would not work.
What if I lived in a very rural area of the county and come face to face with predators quite often right in my neighborhood.
I've also had deputies tell me I have take care of myself because as much as the deputies would like to help in an emergency they just can't get here in any reasonable amount of time.
And on top of it all I have a damaged knee so have not been able to run for almost 10 years. Makes getting away from a bad situation much harder.
Thanks for everyone's input.

Last edited by Norcal_GIT_r; 02-10-2015 at 2:46 PM..
Old 02-10-2015, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Curious to know how they know it was purchased via SSE. I Asked them personally a couple of months ago if there was an issue with the caliber the gun was SSE'd in and they said "no". All they go off of is the serial number and caliber on the qualification certificate. Two of the guns on my permit I just got in December were SSE'd.
He said thats they show up as single shot. And they now considered it a modified gun. Made it sound like they just switched their view on the issue.

It was something I didn't even worry about. He said I don't see a reason why they would deny you. So it was bittersweet.

So if someone wants to trade my m&p9c for thier m&p9c let me know. I have an ad in the marketplace as well.

Last edited by 304tmt; 02-10-2015 at 2:59 PM..
Old 02-10-2015, 2:56 PM
Equal opportunity hater
CGN Contributor

Quote:
He said thats they show up as single shot. And they now considered it a modified gun. Made it sound like they just switched their view on the issue.

It was something I didn't even worry about. He said I don't see a reason why they would deny you. So it was bittersweet.

So if someone wants to trade my m&p9c for there let me know. I have an ad in the marketplace as well.
Transfer it to your wife, father, mother and have them transfer it back to you. All traces of SSE are gone
Old 02-10-2015, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Transfer it to your wife, father, mother and have them transfer it back to you. All traces of SSE are gone
I thought about that. But they had guns I sold 2 years ago still registered to me. I just figured that would not work. Idk
Old 02-10-2015, 3:04 PM
Equal opportunity hater
CGN Contributor

Well, I'm close to going in to add another SSE to my existing permit, we'll see what happens.
Old 02-10-2015, 5:04 PM

Quote:
So, people don't carry their driver's licenses in their wallets these days?

The most effective and pervasive enemy of American freedoms today is the Legacy Media. Defeat them first.
Old 02-10-2015, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm close to going in to add another SSE to my existing permit, we'll see what happens.
Please do update. Thanks
Old 02-10-2015, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal_GIT_r View Post
What if I lived in a very rural area of the county and come face to face with predators quite often right in my neighborhood.
I've also had deputies tell me I have take care of myself because as much as the deputies would like to help in an emergency they just can't get here in any reasonable amount of time.
And on top of it all I have a damaged knee so have not been able to run for almost 10 years. Makes getting away from a bad situation much harder.
Thanks for everyone's input.
I'm in a similar situation. Live in the woods, and have had both hips replaced. I'm not getting any younger. I can still hike/walk, but running isn't an option. Not that I recommend running away from bears or mountain lions. That's probably what the CCW officer will say too. BUT a physical disability should be a good reason IMHO. I do not know for certain tho.
Old 02-10-2015, 8:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
IIRC, there was a discussion of this in either here:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=179

or here:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=349

I think it involves selling it to a pawn broker and then buying it back.