Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:00 PM

Default ...

Last edited by burger and fries; 05-15-2012 at 5:37 PM..
Old 04-27-2010, 10:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Most of the ANF is deignated as a "Prohibited Shooting Area" by the USFS so loaded carry would be illegal in those areas. Hunting is also very limited.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 04-27-2010, 10:57 AM

There is a great thread on Firearms in Forests and Parks here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=186457

However, as Ron has already mentioned, most of ANF is a no-go for loaded carry.
Old 05-05-2010, 9:13 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
Most of the ANF is deignated as a "Prohibited Shooting Area" by the USFS so loaded carry would be illegal in those areas. Hunting is also very limited.
Would shotgun locked in a container trough the ANF be okay?

Or it is prohibited to have shotgun or rifles in the car completely while in the ANF?
Old 05-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasma View Post
Would shotgun locked in a container trough the ANF be okay?

Or it is prohibited to have shotgun or rifles in the car completely while in the ANF?
Carrying a shotgun on a hike changes it from a hike to an armed patrol. The ANF is too beautiful for that, and a shotgun will get real heavy, real fast, and is not necessary in my opinion.

As long as they're unloaded they are legal in your vehicle, but the bigger safety issue is leaving it in the car. The biggest crime in the ANF is vehicle burglaries.

Crimes against people are very rare during daylight hours. Most crimes against people occur at night, in turn-outs where lovers park or people stop to drink or use drugs.

Very few crimes occur in established campgrounds, and those are mostly theft of unattended items.

I used to patrol the San Gabriel Canyon to Mt Baldy area.

I recommend a GOOD LE quality pepper spray. You don't have to worry about running afoul of the law that way.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor

Last edited by Ron-Solo; 05-05-2010 at 11:21 AM..
Old 05-06-2010, 11:45 PM

You should contact Los Angeles National field office to find out what regulations that they have. Or if you want to go anywhere, contact that local regional office. From what I read on Los Angeles National forest, you can hunt throughout the forest, except those areas that are prohibited.

Here's the website: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/recr...nt-shoot.shtml

DOJ allows you to carry firearms while camping, fishing, or hunting, but they don't regulate which areas (forest, wilderness..etc) that are allowed or prohibited for firearms. That regulation is set forth by the bureaus such as National Forest, BLM, State Park...etc that governs the specific areas. The only grey area in DOJ law is it didn't mention you'll have to carry it openly (which I think it needs to be open), or you can conceal it without CCW permit. You should contact DOJ for this open or conceal law in the forest or wilderness.

Since LA forest didn't prohibit carrying guns at all, you can carry legal guns for self protection without permit. Prohibiting shooting in some of their areas doesn't mean you can't carry firearms for self protection. You don't shoot target or hunt, but you can carry guns if you're in prohibited shooting area. However, you shouldn't do thing such as carrying guns around to surprise other people in those areas. For example, if you're in crowded camping area, you shouldn't carry guns around openly. People are getting more sensitve by seeing guns, even though they have some at home.

A caution that you should take is if you cross a street/highway with name, even though on both sides are LA National forest, you may violate the gun law when crossing the street because the street may not belong to LA National forest.

Last edited by Ishooter; 05-07-2010 at 12:35 AM..
Old 05-07-2010, 2:08 PM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by burger and fries View Post
iShooter,

thanks for the link. i'm not going out there to shoot cans or wildlife. i don't want to scare anybody either, which is why i was thinking of keeping my pistol in my pack where i can easily get to. i just want to have options available concerning my personal safety because i want to eventually be able to stay out there for a few days at a time hiking, trekking, exploring, etc.
Seriously, Burger, have you seen the ANF? (ghetto of the natural world - I like that one) (lol) There is NOTHING out there in the way of wildlike likely to hurt you. Mountain lions are rare enough to never see one in your lifetime out there, coyotees maybe? People are the only concern, and frankly there are so many people out there at any given time you'd be more likely to get some "away time" in a local library than on any trail or in any ANF campsite.

Keep the artiliery at home, get some peper spray and your're good to go.
Old 05-07-2010, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djandj View Post
Seriously, Burger, have you seen the ANF? (ghetto of the natural world - I like that one) (lol) There is NOTHING out there in the way of wildlike likely to hurt you. Mountain lions are rare enough to never see one in your lifetime out there, coyotees maybe? People are the only concern, and frankly there are so many people out there at any given time you'd be more likely to get some "away time" in a local library than on any trail or in any ANF campsite.

Keep the artiliery at home, get some peper spray and your're good to go.

Don't forget that not all of the ANF adjoins the 'big city'

I've seen dozens of Mountain Lions and Bears in the ANF.
Old 05-07-2010, 4:28 PM
Banned

Interesting replies.
Old 05-07-2010, 4:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Plenty of MLs and black bears out there, I'm with mej.
Coyotes don't seem too afraid of people anymore, they may try to take small pets if you bring them along.
Haven't seen so many packs of feral dogs lately, that I will agree.
Still plenty of two legged critters out there.

Right now huge areas of the ANF are closed to everyone since the Station fire last year due to "extreme fire hazard" ( even though it has already burned) (???).
Yes, the area you are going to may not have burned, but that just means the fire hazard is even higher there, so it is closed too.
Even after our record rains, the closures continue.
USFS just wants you to visit the small areas that they control so they can collect money for "adventure" passes.
That's where the crowded trails comment above comes from.

Another reason for the closures is LE wanting everyone to stay out of the ANF so they don't grow marijuana. The Sheriff Dept uses helicopters and big crews to clean out canyons and search everywhere out there. They don't want you back in those areas hiking, bicycling, horseback riding or motorcycling, because you could be a criminal.
Just stay out.
Fines for entering a fire-closed area without a permit can be thousands of dollars.
No, you won't get a permit.

Yes, yes, I know they are public lands for us to use.
Just don't use them.

Rant over.

Best to check with USFS / ANF directly before planning any routes.

Here:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/
Old 05-07-2010, 7:38 PM

The best way is to call the AN office, collect info, and buy the latest map if they have. I've seen big bears out there. 2 leg critters are the most worrisome if you've been out there a lot, got around LEO or been one to feel their present. You never know what or who you'll run into. That's why people buy Insurances. Sometimes carrying a firearm isn't all about the protection, but it's about survival as well. It's a necessary tool for survival if you get lost in the forest. Has anyone seen a bear or a criminal that's sprayed with perper spray and still attacked people?

Additional Info (a bit more detail): You can't carry loaded gun in area that's prohibited for shooting or hunting. It's because PC 12031 (6f) prohibits discharging a gun in prohibited area. However PC 12031 (6j-1) allows to discharge a gun if a person believes he/she is in grave danger. So you can carry an unloaded gun if there's no ammunition is in the gun, because you don't intend to discharge it. A separate loaded magazine isn't a loaded gun. http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/in...required_to.3F

Last edited by Ishooter; 05-07-2010 at 10:10 PM..
Old 05-07-2010, 9:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Shoot a bear with a handgun and see where that gets you. He'll kick your ***.

You can't carry loaded anyplace that is a prohibited shooting area, which is most of the forest that is accessible.

Bears don't generally attack unless you corner them or get between a mama and her cub. Mountain lions hunt at dusk/dawn and you'll rarely see them. yell at a coyote and he'll disappear.

Don't leave anything of value in your car. Vehicle burglaries are the biggest crime in the forest.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 05-08-2010, 12:48 AM

I don't know if you all remember this incident in 2006 where a camper was killed in ANF:

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=44119

I was doing some off-trail hiking in 2004 and came across a marijuana grow. I marked it on my GPS and promptly got out of dodge. I reported it to the US Forest Service who then notified the LASD eradication team. I got a nasty case of poison oak as a reward.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej16489 View Post
Don't forget that not all of the ANF adjoins the 'big city'

I've seen dozens of Mountain Lions and Bears in the ANF.
this ^^^^^

Old 05-08-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
How so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burger and fries View Post
Hello,

I would like to start hiking in the Angeles National Forest and eventually work my way up to multiple day excursions. I want to take a handgun with me for safety, but I'm not sure if it's legal to do so. I've explored the California DOJ website for some information, but information of the subject is sparse and a little vague. I do not want to violate any laws so I would like some expert opinions from those who are well antiquated with firearm laws concerning this issue.

-If handguns are not permitted, what about a shotgun?
-Is it legal to take a firearm with you when trekking through the ANF, if so, what type of firearm qualifies?
-Are there any specific requirements such as open carry versus inside my pack?
-Is a hunting permit, or any other permit required?
-Is it even legal?

A basic rundown with some specifics will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
bnf
I've unloaded open carried a 1911 in the ANF in the past. Not so much for protection from wild animals, but protection from people. ANF is dangerous. Highway 39 (Azusa Canyon) is pretty bad. Some of the areas near Palmdale and Pearblossom are also pretty bad. Like Ron-Solo said, a lot of car burgs, GTA's, carjackings, etc...

There is also murders...
http://www.ocregister.com/news/rogli...-area-saw.html

And this article from 1997 has some interesting stories to tell...I'm sure not alot has changed in the last 10 years...
http://outside.away.com/magazine/0797/9707dark.html

You need to be very wise about WHERE you carry and WHEN you carry.

And be advised, the area around Mount Wilson has signs that say firearms are prohibited. Not too long ago, I got proned out by deputies near Mount Wilson because I fit the description of a car burglary suspect/trespasser...I'm glad I didn't have my gun with me that day...the deputies would have LOVED that...having an AR, 12 Gauge, and two handguns pointed at you by nervous po-po is nicht gut...

I've heard a lot of stories through shady channels about what goes on up there...so be careful...there's a lot of stuff that happens up there that the cops and media don't know about...

Last edited by bubbagump; 05-08-2010 at 11:14 AM..
Old 05-08-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyarmorguy27 View Post
I don't know if you all remember this incident in 2006 where a camper was killed in ANF:

I was doing some off-trail hiking in 2004 and came across a marijuana grow. I marked it on my GPS and promptly got out of dodge. I reported it to the US Forest Service who then notified the LASD eradication team. I got a nasty case of poison oak as a reward.
You beat me to it...

I was hiking in the area near Shoemaker road about a week before that incident hit the news...

Scary stuff...
Old 05-08-2010, 1:24 PM

Thanks for the Outside article. I was looking for this quote from the article:

"It would be interesting if all the bodies could stand up at once, so we could acknowledge them and do a head count," Shamblin observes.
Old 05-08-2010, 1:44 PM

If you hike or go in there, I'd suggest having one or more person going with you. Unless you're in ice and snowing areas that marijuana can't be grown, then that's when you more likely have to deal with bears, mountain lions, and wolfs.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:51 PM

If you're looking at an alternative to the ANF. Try the Los Padres. There are plenty of campsites at Mount Pinos and Frazier Mountain. Plenty of altitude, too. All the times I've been, it's been quiet.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Banned

The National Forest is a place for the good and the bad. It's a great place for the bad to hide their crimes and a good place for the good to getaway from the bad, it's an irony. Be safe.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:26 AM
Calguns Addict

Anything within 1/2 mile of any road, including ALL those USFS dirt roads, is a "Prohbited Shooting Area" per LA County ordinances, which means if you get caught carrying loaded, you are subject to arrest per 12031 PC.

I keep telling everyone to look beyond the penal code for your answers. If you call USFS for answers, you will get answers to Federal law questions, if you call Fish & Game, you get answers to the Fish & Game Code. These laws all overlap and it is very easy to get in trouble without intending to.

Hunting in the ANF is more limited than other forests because of the high volume of people who use the forest. Most of the areas along Hwy 39 are closed to hunting for this reason. Even when hunting is allowed, the county ordinances against prohibited shooting within 1/2 mile of a highway are still in effect.

I've done a lot of hiking in SoCal forests. I only carried once (I'm active LEO so the other issues were not relevant) and found it was not necessary, added too much weight to my load, and I switched to carrying pepper spray with me always. Much lighter and there are a LOT MORE situations where you are justified in spraying someone than shooting someone. Just make sure you are carrying a quality LE type spray, not the crud they sell at the 7/11 or car wash.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 08-05-2010, 9:47 PM

Geeez lots of responses.

Bearing in mind that the reasoning for carry is not hunting or target shooting but one of self defense...

What about good 'ol open carry? You know, loaded mags on one hip and the pistol on the other hip?
Old 08-05-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
If you're looking at an alternative to the ANF. Try the Los Padres. There are plenty of campsites at Mount Pinos and Frazier Mountain. Plenty of altitude, too. All the times I've been, it's been quiet.
As a kid, I used to go to Fraizer park all the time with my dad.. We lived in Reseda at the time. He used to carry his Blackhawk Single 6 with him along with a 12 guage. More then once, we were glad he did.. Never had to use it, but the racking of a shotgun has a nasty tendacy of scaring bikers going thru your camp in the middle of the night. I dont know if it is still like that, but just be careful anywhere you go these days. That is why I loved Az so much.. Strap on my 686 (OC) and go to the grocery store LOL Now you can conceal carry without a permit there too !!
Old 08-06-2010, 9:37 AM

Quote:

I'm so glad you brought this up, this man was camping on Shoemaker Road , down the street from Burro Canyon, someone shot him three times with a shotgun and stole his AK47 type rifle and digital camera. Strange if it was area gang bangers, they left his credit cards, CASH and little HOnda hatchback. PERSONALLY I THINK IT WAS DRUG CARTELS UP THERE BECAUSE HE USE TO HIKE DEEP IN AND TAKE PICTURES< HE SEEN SOMETHING OR SOMEONE THOUGHT HE SEEN SOMETHING. I don't hike 39 anymore because on my CB radio I kept getting Spanish messages stating watch this man or policio.