Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 07-20-2019, 2:13 PM

Default LWRC IC DI?

Anyone have experience or opinions with this rifle? Thinking about buying one.
Old 07-20-2019, 2:15 PM

I freaking love mine, itís hard to compare my DD with the IC, extremely accurate and itís definitely more accurate than I am, have not had a single failure with a little over 3 cases of wolf gold. Havenít cleaned it either.
Old 07-20-2019, 5:05 PM
Banned

they are excellent rifles
Old 07-20-2019, 6:24 PM

No personal experience with an LWRCI but Amy.556 runs the living crap out of hers and swears by it. That chick ain't no slouch either.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:18 PM

I have 35K+ rounds through 3 LWRC rifles over the last seven years. Yes, I keep a spreadsheet. Piston rifles, not DI's to be clear. I still have two of them. The only failures I have ever(!) had with them have all been CA 'bullet button' related. I have nothing but good things to say about that company and their products.

Mine have been soaked in the rain, fallen in muddy puddles and into thick mud and sand. They have been thrown out of car doors into gravel and sand and they just work.

They are stupidly accurate. Even more so using 62Gr over 55Gr. I can and have shot them accurately out to 600 yards with my HD 77Gr rounds.

You pay for what you get. Buy good quality tools. You will never be any better than your tools. You will never regret buying high quality tools of any sort. They will last you a lifetime if you just do basic maintenance on them. LWRC products are GTG.

I'm not sure if the DIs are available with the fluted barrel. Yeah, it is away cool lookin' too. But after have shot a couple of buddies non fluted M6 ICs compared to mine, the weight difference is quite noticeable.

I am at the high end of average size human beings and in decent shape for my age. But the ability to drive the rifle, with its wonderful slim round handguard, from target to target quickly and accurately, IMO, makes the fluted barrel well worth the upcharge, if it is an option.

JP Silent Capture Spring is a nice upgrade to any AR IMO. But its really nice with a simply superior quality one like this.

Last edited by sfarchitect; 07-20-2019 at 11:33 PM..
Old 07-21-2019, 2:00 AM

I appreciate the input, thank you.
Old 07-21-2019, 5:34 AM

I had 3, sold off the DI gun and kept the 2 piston guns. They are that good. If you look around you can get a piston gun for not much more than a DI. There's one on here I believe.
Old 07-21-2019, 8:41 AM

I think LWRC is much more well known for their piston design on their rifles verses DI. Years ago I had a LWRC REPR that was a beast.

But I'm sure their DI guns are great as well. LWRC makes quality stuff.
Old 07-21-2019, 8:52 AM

I bought DI, then got piston SPR upper. Enjoy SPR much more. Very easy to clean. LWRC is known for its piston system. For used, cost difference is small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2019, 12:11 PM

Interesting, thanks fellas.
Old 07-21-2019, 8:20 PM

I understand what is being said and appreciate the opinions but with that said, if the price difference between piston and Di was say $700, would you grab the DI? What would be your line be?
Old 07-21-2019, 8:32 PM

The vast majority of shooters would be better off with a DI rifle. Itís a marketing gimmick for dumb people with too much money to spend who live in SF with dogs as their avatar and lefty politics.

The piston AR is very limited in scope, maybe better for heavily modified SBR, suppressor, etc. use but none of that applies to CA gun owners.
Old 07-21-2019, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55chevypost View Post
I understand what is being said and appreciate the opinions but with that said, if the price difference between piston and Di was say $700, would you grab the DI? What would be your line be?
Take my 2 cents for what they are worth...

Personally, I wouldn't pay more for the piston over the DI. In fact at the same price I'd probably still pick the DI due to it being slightly lighter and cheaper to replace when/if you ever wear it out, even if that is unlikely to ever happen.

Now before I say what I'm going to say next I should say that either option from LWRC is good to go and i would put them solidly in the "you can trust your life on it" caliber of quality. This is based off of my research and the opinions and experience of guys with much more knowledge and experience than I.

With that in mind, for $700 more, ok ok $800, so now we're talking $2400, then I would choose a KAC SR-15 instead.

Likewise at the price point of $1600 for the DI then I would personally just save $100 and pick a FN Tac 2 and get the wedge lock rail design for $1500.

Another caveat: If you are getting a great deal on a used LWRC (I'm not sure if this is what we are talking about) then there isn't any good reasons to not get it.
"On every question of construction carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed." óThomas Jefferson (1823)

308 Rifle for sale
Old 07-22-2019, 12:10 PM

I have one and I really love the rifle. It's smooth and never had a malfunction. My only problem with the rifle is that the hand guard is proprietary. It's not a big deal and they do make a MLok hand guards now. I've ran mine suppressed a few times and I don't really get gassed out by it.

Overall accuracy is great and is more accurate than I'll ever be. I got mine when they were on sale for $1000 mark.
Old 07-22-2019, 1:15 PM

Default LWRC IC DI?

Whatís your intended use? I am ok with $700 premium if condition is excellent. You can get DI now, and be happy, or upgrade latter with a piston upper. There is a LWRC ownership pride, which may not worth much to many.

Last edited by Jasonz; 08-24-2019 at 7:40 AM..
Old 07-22-2019, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonz View Post
Whatís your intended use? I am ok with $700 premium if condition is excellent. You can get DI now, and be happy, or upgrade latter with a piston upper. There is a LWRC ownership pride, which may not worth much to many.

As for accuracy, 3-4 MOA for 55 grain bulk ammo, sub MOA for heavy match ammo. I donít see much difference in weight and accuracy between DI and SPR. Please be aware fluted LWRC barrel tends to shift POI when hot. I eventually installed 18Ē Rainier Ultramatch barrel on DI upper, and turns it into a precision DMR.

Thank you. Intended use is having a quality ar15 that I enjoy to shoot, no matches or anything like that. I enjoy shooting BCM and I am guessing LWRC is as good if not better?
Old 07-22-2019, 9:10 PM

To 17+1; You sir, forgot relatively lazy.

Let me qualify what follows with two facts: 'A' I shoot these, a lot! 'B' I maintain my weapons meticulously. To my thinking, a rifle, is one of those things like a parachute, fire extinguisher, tournequit etc., when you need it, it absolutely, unequivocally has(!) to work.

LWRC only released their first DI upper a couple, or perhaps three years ago now. They are known as a piston rifle company.

The pistons are just a lot less maintenance. Others may not feel this way, but as far as I'm concerned the cost differential, just in what you'll save in cleaning labor over a few years of use is cheap at twice the price. As I said, I also happen to love the hand guard on the piston uppers. They may not work for everyone, but they work for me. Some guys just love the ritual of cleaning their firearms. It's kind of a zen, relaxation thing. I am not that guy.

In the piston upper, the combustion gases and their byproducts accumulate in the piston cup, on the piston itself, on the top face of the barrel and inside face of the, again just freakin' beautifully designed and made handguard, not in the chamber.

There's two screws at the front of the handguard that can be turned by hand without any tools. Then the top of the CNC machined handguard pops right off. If you don't mind spending the extra shekels, it is less work, and so(!) much easier work to clean the piston than the DI.

Last edited by sfarchitect; 07-22-2019 at 9:28 PM..
Old 07-22-2019, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellslinger View Post
I have one and I really love the rifle. It's smooth and never had a malfunction. My only problem with the rifle is that the hand guard is proprietary. It's not a big deal and they do make a MLok hand guards now. I've ran mine suppressed a few times and I don't really get gassed out by it.

Overall accuracy is great and is more accurate than I'll ever be. I got mine when they were on sale for $1000 mark.
Thanks! Where did you get a new one for $1000?
Old 07-23-2019, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Thanks! Where did you get a new one for $1000?
Iím not sure if you can find that deal anymore. I bought it locally in Dallas from a gun store about 2-3 years ago. Not sure why they were going for such a low price at the time.
Old 07-23-2019, 7:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17+1 View Post
The vast majority of shooters would be better off with a DI rifle. Itís a marketing gimmick for dumb people with too much money to spend who live in SF with dogs as their avatar and lefty politics.

The piston AR is very limited in scope, maybe better for heavily modified SBR, suppressor, etc. use but none of that applies to CA gun owners.
to each their own. i have 2 of them, an older M6A3 and a Six8 M6-IC, they are top notch quality, better than HK IMHO.

donít be so bitter
Old 07-23-2019, 7:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thank you. Intended use is having a quality ar15 that I enjoy to shoot, no matches or anything like that. I enjoy shooting BCM and I am guessing LWRC is as good if not better?
BCM and LWRCi arenít comparable, theyíre each good in their own way; one is a boutique rifle, the other is mil-spec.
Old 07-23-2019, 7:09 PM

BTW, get on LDub's e-mail list OP. They have, at least one annual 25% off sale, sometimes more than one. That discount applies to all of their uppers. Just not complete weapons unfortunately. And the uppers, even here in California, they can just ship directly to you. No muss, no fuss.

It also merits noting that LWRC has had several large overseas military contracts. So I'm not sure I'd say boutique is a fair description. That term, to my thinking, implies small, limited production, 'fussy' or 'high maintenance', and they are not. But even folks who may not like them would not argue they are among the very 'top of the range' AR's.

Thank you George West for sticking up for me.
And to 17+1, it is not merely a dog sir, it is a Beauceron. Describing a Beaceron as a dog, while accurate, is kind of like describing a Porsche GT-3RS simply as a car.

Last edited by sfarchitect; 07-23-2019 at 7:31 PM..
Old 07-23-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George West View Post
BCM and LWRCi arenít comparable, theyíre each good in their own way; one is a boutique rifle, the other is mil-spec.
I thought he was saying the BCM was the boutique rifle??