Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 07-20-2019, 9:10 AM

Default Recommend Me A TSA Approved Pistol Case For Ruger 5.5-inch Redhawk

Need to fly with my Ruger 5.5-inch Redhawk and a box of ammo for a week-long 4x4/camping trip in brown bear country. The factory Ruger case isn't lockable. Because of logistics after the flight I'm limited to one overhead/carry on-size bag, so I need to watch my cargo volume. Cases like a Pelican V200, 1470, or 1450 are a bit larger than I want to pack. I searched this forum and have been scouring Pelican, Plano, even Amazon for a single-pistol case that's big enough to fit this rig, yet small enough that it doesn't take up the majority of my suitcase volume.

Ideal internal dimensions would be roughly 12.5x7x2.5.

Anybody got a big(ish) revolver TSA case recommendation based on personal experience? I'm almost ready to just buy a Pelican 1170 and KKM barrel for one of my Glocks and run .45 Super or 10MM.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:02 AM

I have a case from Flambeau that holds my G17, Ruger Single Six (6-1/2 bbl), 22WMR cylinder and two Glock mags. It is beefy, and lockable. I don't recall what I paid, but ordered direct from Flambeau.

Interior Dimensions: !3.5X12x2.5.
-P
Old 07-20-2019, 12:48 PM

Case Club has 1 pistol with 2 mag slots (just unbox the ammo and baggie it into slots) lockable case for $39.99 on Amazon.
Old 07-20-2019, 4:38 PM
Calguns Addict

if I read your post correctly you only plan to have a carry on bag. You cannot have a firearm in your carry on bag. It must be in a checked in bag and NO TSA lock. You lock it with a lock that only you have the key for. TSA will inspect it before it is put into the cargo hold. Be sure they do it in front of you. That is the law but I have had them try and tell me to just give them the key and not be there. I would not let them do that.
Old 07-21-2019, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divernhunter View Post
if I read your post correctly you only plan to have a carry on bag. You cannot have a firearm in your carry on bag. It must be in a checked in bag and NO TSA lock. You lock it with a lock that only you have the key for. TSA will inspect it before it is put into the cargo hold. Be sure they do it in front of you. That is the law but I have had them try and tell me to just give them the key and not be there. I would not let them do that.
No, that's not what I meant, but I appreciate your warning. I'm checking my bag, however I'm limited to a carry-on/overhead-sized bag due to space constraints on the ground during my trip.
Old 07-21-2019, 6:10 AM

Harbor freight has hard lockable cases of various sizes. I have 3 and fly with them frequently.
On a side note their cheap locks are hard to pick. They have a lot of wiggle compared to pricey locks.
Old 07-21-2019, 8:54 AM

TSA compiant is simple. Make sure you can lock the case AND an agent cannot pry open the case far enough to touch the fire arm even tho it is locked. I often traveled with one of those light weight lockable cases. On one trip a TSA agent grabbed the sides of my locked case and was able to pry it open enough to touch the gun. Let me pass that time. I now use a "Pelican-like" case. Lockable and solid as a rock; but takes more room and is heavier. But I get through every time.
Old 07-21-2019, 9:39 AM
Calguns Addict

OP--Sorry I misunderstood your 1st post. I suggest a case like a Pelican one if not the Pelican brand. Harbor Freight has ones that are cheaper. Bass Pro and Cabelas are 2 other places to look. I cannot be much more help. Good luck.
Old 07-21-2019, 9:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

No such thing as tsa approved case.Any hardsided case that accepts a lock will do.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:21 PM

Thanks everybody. I bought a SnapSafe XXL. If it's a no-go when it arrives I'll check out my local Harbor Freight and some of the other suggestions.

Appreciate all the input. Thanks, Calguns!
Old 07-21-2019, 12:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I use a hardsided golf club case for my firearms, ammo and hunting ear. Has wheels. For handguns I use aluminum attache case with combo locks.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Harbor freight pelican copy
25% off coupon good today
https://www.harborfreight.com/3800-w...ack-63927.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/4800-w...rge-64250.html

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson

Last edited by hermosabeach; 07-21-2019 at 12:57 PM..
Old 07-21-2019, 12:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 07-21-2019, 1:23 PM

Sweet revolver and holster!
Old 07-22-2019, 11:00 AM

https://www.hornady.com/security/loc.../xlargelockbox

This is TSA compliant and CA compliant.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:30 AM
Calguns Addict

https://www.rticcoolers.com/shop/har...ing-Case-Black

Smoking deal on a good case. It’s 70% off right now and selling out quick at 25$. Don’t wait!

Last edited by deckhandmike; 07-22-2019 at 4:32 PM..
Old 07-22-2019, 11:57 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

I only buy USA made Pelican cases, they aren't that much money and they are fantastic in every way. I can't speak for their "Vault" series, they look well made but imported and I'm not going to send my money to China over a few bucks saved.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.