Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 06-17-2019, 1:55 PM

Default Redditor CCW Permit Holder: Jury Duty On DGU Case, Defendant Acquitted

You never know what kind of a case you might end up serving on when you report for jury duty. Objections to systemic warts notwithstanding, here an example of a defensive gun use where the jury made a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redditor "WakaFlockaWombat"
Be forewarned, this is going to be a long post. I recently served on a jury for a second degree murder case that was tried in federal court. Because the case involved defensive use of a firearm [...]
As someone who has carried every day for the past 8 years, this whole experience was pretty eye opening. So much of my focus goes into little issues like bullet grain weight, DA/SA or DAO, which extended slide stop to buy….. I never gave serious thought to what can happen after a shooting as far as the legal side. I just kind of assumed if I was ever put in a deadly force situation, it would be so obvious that I was a good guy acting in the right, and there’s no way I could ever end up in a court room. After this trial I’m not so sure (though I do feel confident I would’ve handled this situation much differently). After that first day of trial, I could barely sleep. I felt so strongly that this guy was being railroaded, and was so relieved when the other jurors agreed during deliberation.
When I got the summons and the very brief case description, I expected the guy to be 100% guilty. After all he’s being charged with murder right? There was a subconscious bias right off the bat just from hearing what they were charging him with! Pair that with the amount of people who have a strong mentally that all defendants are guilty…. It’s kind of scary.
Also just because I know some will be curious, weapon was a Ruger SP101 3” .357 magnum, loaded with Remington Golden Sabers.
Interesting read, very thought-provoking.