Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 06-03-2019, 9:42 AM

Default Non-Lead in sidearms when hunting?

I think I'm assuming correctly here with the July 1 lead ban coming into effect, that if you carry a sidearm when hunting those also need to be carrying non-lead ammo?

Has anyone found decent factory non-lead in 9mm and .45?
Old 06-03-2019, 9:50 AM

Quote:
The regulations do not require use of nonlead ammunition when target shooting. Use of lead projectiles for target shooting is legal unless CDFW or another government entity has determined otherwise for lands they administer. The regulations do not prohibit the possession of concealable firearms containing lead ammunition, provided the firearm is possessed for personal protection and is not used to take or assist in the take of wildlife. With the exception of ammunition for concealable firearms possessed for personal protection, hunters may not possess lead ammunition along with a firearm capable of firing that ammunition.
https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/hunting/...nal-protection

Last edited by Notpc; 06-03-2019 at 9:56 AM..
Old 06-03-2019, 9:50 AM

Another roster...

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Hunting/...tion/Certified
Old 06-03-2019, 9:56 AM
Veteran Member

Sportsman’s Warehouse has 100 gr Heavishot 9mm, and the ARX sintered stuff - maybe some all copper SD ammo in 9 and .45 that I didn’t notice.

I haven’t used the ARX in 9mm but it’s zippy in my .38’s - not much for bear i’d wager.
Old 06-03-2019, 9:57 AM

But again an arguable glitch if you're hunting "big game" and your side arm has frangible or non-expanding bullets (albeit non-lead ones). And when they say concealable, does that mean you inherently need a concealed carry? That's the unfortunate nature of these laws and regulations and the person who initially determines what they mean is the enforcement officer. We're forced to walk a path that's a potential mine field of liability.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:38 AM

Looks like this is my answer:

"hunters may not possess lead ammunition along with a firearm capable of firing that ammunition."

I'm not asking about concealed carry, which looks like it would be an exception as noted above.

Thanks all.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgarbarino View Post

"hunters may not possess lead ammunition along with a firearm capable of firing that ammunition."

I'm not asking about concealed carry, which looks like it would be an exception as noted above.

Thanks all.
concealable firearm <> concealed firearm
Old 06-03-2019, 12:16 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Thanks all.
It doesn't say concealed carry. Has nothing to do with concealed carry. The lead ammo exception clearly applies to handguns possessed for personal protection, whether they are concealed or not. The only requirement is that the firearm be concealable - aka a handgun, and not being carried for the purpose of taking game. We have had this debate in like 100 threads here now.

And don't post half a sentence as an answer. The complete sentence has the answer which is exactly opposite of your conclusion:

Quote:
With the exception of ammunition for concealable firearms possessed for personal protection, hunters may not possess lead ammunition along with a firearm capable of firing that ammunition.
That says you can carry lead ammo in firearms that are concealable, aka handguns, if carried for protection.

You do what you feel is best for you. We'll file this away as thread #101 asking the exact same question and getting the same FUD answers.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 06-03-2019 at 12:29 PM..
Old 06-03-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I think I'm assuming correctly here with the July 1 lead ban coming into effect, that if you carry a sidearm when hunting those also need to be carrying non-lead ammo?

Has anyone found decent factory non-lead in 9mm and .45?
Will when we where still able to order ammo online the best lead free bullet or rds was either DoubleTap and Underwood. Yeah their was Buffalo bore and Lehigh company too but Lehigh was the 1st or 3rd because of their known penetrator bullets. However they make some pretty good looking lead free bullet that are a bit crazy but deadly. Now that we can not buy ammo online just get whatever you can do will kind of get the job done. You're talking about open carry with hoslter on the side, if you're a license for a conceal you may used either lead or lead free. From my understanding if you're hunting than you have to make sure all your firearms are equip with lead free. Note these popular factory that load lead free are under power and it's not going to penetrate like a standard lead copper.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
It doesn't say concealed carry. Has nothing to do with concealed carry. The lead ammo exception clearly applies to handguns possessed for personal protection, whether they are concealed or not. The only requirement is that the firearm be concealable - aka a handgun, and not being carried for the purpose of taking game. We have had this debate in like 100 threads here now.

And don't post half a sentence as an answer. The complete sentence has the answer which is exactly opposite of your conclusion:

That says you can carry lead ammo in firearms that are concealable, aka handguns, if carried for protection.

You do what you feel is best for you. We'll file this away as thread #101 asking the exact same question and getting the same FUD answers.

Check here: tinyurl.com/fifap
Old 06-03-2019, 6:53 PM

the Barnes 9mm 115 grain copper and the Barnes .45 acp 185 grain are very good loads and bullets with solid performance.
Old 06-03-2019, 9:18 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Incorrect.
Check out the thread in the link.
Most recent thread on this topic in the legal forum.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 06-03-2019, 9:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Short version: It’s legal to carry lead. However spend a few extra bucks on copper ammo. A copper self defense box of ammo could last you decades. It could save you thousands having to defend carrying the perfectly legal lead. DFW and many other wildlife enforcement agencies tend to cite first and let the courts work it out which can be very expensive for you.
Old 06-03-2019, 9:56 PM
Veteran Member

https://www.underwoodammo.com/produc...18785701724217
Old 06-04-2019, 1:55 PM

When I was an Ammo guy at Bass Pro, we carried the Barnes Vor-TX in .357 Mag, 44Mag, 454 Casull, .500S&W, and 10MM. And the hevishot and liberty rounds in .9mm and .40 cal if I remember correctly.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member

Just do the right thing and carry lead free. It's for the condors...