Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-22-2019, 7:36 PM

Default Kriss Gen2 10 one year quickie review

Kriss Gen 2 10mm one year review—hey Calguns, I’ve seen a couple up for sale here, and thought I’d write a little review of my experience with it, I’m no expert or LEO or DOJ or operator, just a guy who likes to pull trigger:

I’d seen a bunch of YouTube videos of tiny 9mm full auto Vectors just dumping a sweet stream of lead without a bunch of movement. Hmmm.

I bought the CA version from a LGS. I watched some YouTube videos about assembly/disassembly and took it apart quite a few times before the weekend came around and I actually got to shoot it. It was extremely interesting to become familiar with the action and manual of arms. Very easy and intuitive and everything at the fingertips. I like all my stuff to be very tactile—so I know where my hands and fingers are from the feedback of grooves and stippling etc. This carbine has really great tactile feel, not once was I tempted to get out the dremel and make ugly cuts. Even the smooth-action safety, perfectly placed, has a little lip so your thumb knows where it is positioned on the safety lever—nice touch.

Bolt release, mag release, and safety are so easy to manipulate while staying on target. Kriss gets a 10 out of 10 here. Magwell has cutouts to help get mag out if stuck or for clowns like me who love overly tactile carbines.

Trigger feel—not horrible. Within my first mag I figured out the break and am pretty happy with the stock trigger. Pull is not overly long, I hate that ess. Right before break there is an increase in tension, pretty easy to get used to and shoot accurately. The more I shoot it the better the trigger gets, I have a couple stock Glocks that over the years, have such a sweet trigger.

Sights: Flip-up Magpuls, and they are great in most conditions. I was surprised how accurate they are at 25y and 50y. Daytime only.

Break-in: Took a few sessions to get this carbine settled in and reliable enough to be considered for HD. Of course I over-lubricated it at first, so that might have been a factor. Once the action had some round count and I could inspect parts for wear and tear, I got that figured out, and use 5-20W synth and Rem Dri-Lube sparingly, no malfs no mo. Weapon is ridiculously easy to disassemble and clean.

Ammo: It eats everything. I can’t even list all the ammo I’ve shot through it. From S+B and Armscor to RIP and Nuge10 and DT. Win and Rem and LAX.

Popped a Sig Romeo4 on it, and that really upped the fun factor, and, made it useful for HD. Offhand at 25 I typically shoot the center out of the paper within a mag or two.

Recoil: Not impressed. The whole idea of the Vector was recoil reduction. Maybe that got lost when Kriss went from 9mm to 10mm. I don’t know. Shooting at paper at a range with an RO breathing down my neck, I wouldn’t even think about recoil. Easy to shoot all day. I mean, buy a Kriss10, you need to buy 10 by the pallet. By the truckload. By the cargo container.
But I’ve taken it out of state a couple times, and it jumps around a little on mag dumps. It is not a recoil-free carbine. Once I accepted that, I figured out that I needed to bury the stock hard in my shoulder with my weak hand, and slightly loose with my dominant/trigger hand, and I could make beer cans dance in the NV desert sand. If I built my dream Olympic Arms 10mm carbine, would my recoil reduction beat the Kriss? Dunno.
I had to bench the Kriss to zero the Romeo—-wow, bring some pillows and towels for that, the bolt does travel DOWN doncha know. And what goes down comes up. At least on the bench.

Customization: Haha. Go play with some cerakote. Barrel, pinned. Stock, pinned. Barrel shroud, *****. Aftermarket? Non-existent. Kudos to Kriss for selling to CA though. CA legal, drop mag, freedom week 10mm 15+1 cap carbine, that is hilarious fun, but if you are like me, and like to tinker and customize and perfect, find another toy.

Summary: Initial FTF’s and FTE’s and classic stovepipes just a memory—my Vector is HD reliable now. It’s clunky-looking but quick to shoulder and shoot accurately. 10mm outta a 16” barrel puts a-hurtin on the berm. Glocks and AR’s you customize until St. Peter grants them access to heaven, a Kriss 10 only gets there by submitting shredded targets.

It’s a keeper.
Old 05-22-2019, 7:54 PM

I have the same optic on my Kriss 10mm as well. Rifle shoots well and has a nice snap when shot. One thing I noticed is that it beats up the brass pretty good which sucks since I reload.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:08 AM
Calguns Addict

I had a gen 1 .45, traded it off years ago.

the eye opener for me was shooting it and an HK USC side by side. The USC recoils less with a simper operating system.
My kriss also ate recoil buffers at an outrageous rate.

Aside from that, it was fairly accurate and reliable.

-Dave
Old 05-23-2019, 6:06 AM

I'm not in the market for a Kriss, but great writeup!