Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 09-15-2015, 2:34 AM
Banned

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.
Default Anyone do back ground investigations?

My friend applied for City of Upland Code Enforcement and I was looking at the background checks and he was worried that he would be disqualified because he has debt.

I have debt. It is almost unavoidable for us unemployed folks that use those credit cards... So if I owe money to the credit card folks, what is the limit before I am considered disqualified or does not that apply because he is paranoid?

Thanks for any help in clearing up this matter.
Old 09-15-2015, 4:46 AM

I did backgrounds for a little while with my department.

It depends on the department. Some departments are strict but most at this point understand that folks will have some debt. When they look at your debt, they are looking for the reason the debt exists and how responsible you have been with that debt.

Fir example, if you have debt due to paying bills and buying food for the family but you make your payments monthly, that is responsible debt.

If on the other hand, you declare bankruptcy and immediately after, you go out and buy a fancy car, that is being irresponsible. Another example is that you have a large debt and you are constantly late on your payments and you are still buying a bunch of "toys".

They usually look at the totality of your situation. If you are responsible, the background should be ok, if your friend is not responsible, then he may have to do some cleanup before he gets picked up any where. Good luck.
Old 09-15-2015, 4:57 AM
Banned

Student loans. That is a huge problem. It's the next bubble likely to burst.

Agencies want college grads. Far more than most graduate with huge student load debt. Many are delinquent due to lack of employment. That does not make such candidates irresponsible. That makes such candidates victims of our depression.
Old 09-15-2015, 6:22 AM

There is no bright line. Debt DQ-ing varies based on the philosophy of the department for that position.

Capt Mike (above) is spot on.
Old 09-15-2015, 8:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SansSouci View Post
Student loans. That is a huge problem. It's the next bubble likely to burst.
I agree^^^^^^

Especially for those youngsters who attended those for profit schools advertised on daytime television. Fake so called colleges that make money on high balance student loans. They 'Approve' everyone and these kids get strapped for decades with payments on a job (blue collar) that pays $14 per hour...

Regarding what an employer can see about your credit report:

Employers can pull a credit report. But the credit report available to employers is not the same one that your lenders see. When an employer checks your credit, it's called an 'employment screening,' and the credit bureaus have a separate product available for this purpose . A lot of the data is the same, but not everything. For instance, your date of birth isn't on it. Plus, when an employer screens your report, not only does the inquiry have no effect at all on your credit score, but you, the consumer, are the only person able to see that it ever happened.

It's also worth noting, that a potential employer isn't going to secretly check your credit behind your back. Unlike with the credit check that comes with applying for a mortgage or car loan, you must give explicit written permission for an employer to check your credit. And it's not as though it's your interviewer looking into your credit. Normally the employer outsources the process to a third-party company, one that does things like verify your background and education.

The bottom line is that while employers can check your credit, they can't see your credit score, their inquiry doesn't affect it, and the credit report they can pull isn't the same one used to evaluate your trustworthiness as a borrower. While some states restrict the cases in which an employer can check your credit at all, "certain professions, like law enforcement or other government positions, should expect that credit checks are fair game. You should assume a report is going to be pulled.

Are we talking about normal debt, bad debt, zombie debt?

I don't consider "Code Enforcement" to be Law Enforcemebt like being a sworn police officer.

Bob

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 09-15-2015, 9:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
I agree^^^^^^

Especially for those youngsters who attended those for profit schools advertised on daytime television. Fake so called colleges that make money on high balance student loans. They 'Approve' everyone and these kids get strapped for decades with payments on a job (blue collar) that pays $14 per hour...

Employers can pull a credit report. But the credit report available to employers is not the same one that your lenders see. When an employer checks your credit, it's called an 'employment screening,' and the credit bureaus have a separate product available for this purpose . A lot of the data is the same, but not everything. For instance, your date of birth isn't on it. Plus, when an employer screens your report, not only does the inquiry have no effect at all on your credit score, but you, the consumer, are the only person able to see that it ever happened.

It's also worth noting, that a potential employer isn't going to secretly check your credit behind your back. Unlike with the credit check that comes with applying for a mortgage or car loan, you must give explicit written permission for an employer to check your credit. And it's not as though it's your interviewer looking into your credit. Normally the employer outsources the process to a third-party company, one that does things like verify your background and education.

The bottom line is that while employers can check your credit, they can't see your credit score, their inquiry doesn't affect it, and the credit report they can pull isn't the same one used to evaluate your trustworthiness as a borrower. While some states restrict the cases in which an employer can check your credit at all, "certain professions, like law enforcement or other government positions, should expect that credit checks are fair game. You should assume a report is going to be pulled.

I don't consider "Code Enforcement" to be Law Enforcemebt like being a sworn police officer.

Bob
Neither do I but they are requiring a background AND polygraph. I have a very vivid imagination and I think I would fail the polygraph because I would find it hard to take seriously for whatever reason. He is under the same conditions as me. He has acrued debt from being unemployed and just having expenses pile up on him. He is also very good at answering questions and I think he could focus and take care of business if he needed to.

Code enforcement is NOT LE. You are correct. We have badges and we can be more flexible in some cases, but for the most part, we are the sucker fish to LEO. We catch all of the things that LEO does not wish to deal with or that are too small for LEO to deal with, and much of Code Enforcement is property maintenance and knowing muni codes and zoning.

Thank you everyone for the input. He might have a fighting chance it sounds like.
Old 09-15-2015, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
I agree^^^^^^

Bob
"For profit" schools are not the problem. The problem is government loaning money or guaranteeing loans for degrees that will never afford the recipient the ability to pay back the loan. It is not responsible to loan someone $100k to earn a degree as a medical office assistant that pays $10/ hr.

Further, loans and grants going to schools that cost $75k year? If gouncant afford the tuition, maybe you need to attend a school you can afford.

Rant over.
Old 09-16-2015, 2:19 PM

I did background checks for a few years for sworn employees. The DQ threshold is set by each agency individually. Having some debt is not an issue. If you are swimming in debt and have some collection or late payment issues, at least with my department, it would probably be a job killer.

You would have to check with the hiring agency to know for sure. But I highly suspect you won't be told what the DQ level for anything is. Our department didn't even tell the background investigators what they were. They are scared to death of law suits. When I sat on oral boards we were told to NEVER fail anyone. If someone was a fail candidate we would pass them as a level "C" list candidate. Level C meant they were on a list that would never even be considered for hire. Like the guy that told me he wanted to be a Deputy after getting arrested for his 7th DUI. He said he felt it was about time he switched sides....
Old 09-25-2015, 4:36 PM
Banned

LoL... Good to know. I think maybe perhaps I need to get rid of some more debt before I go through another background check, or at least talk to whomever is doing it so I can know to pay it off or let it ride and whittle it down in time.
I just failed my background check for a freaking IT position...

I LOVE how this world works. You can not refi your house for a lower APR if you have no job. You can not get a job to pay the debt that you owe on credit cards for being unemployed for a while...

You have to knock over a few liquor stores and maybe a small bank to pay off all of your debt, and THEN you can apply for a legit job it seems...

Well we will see what happens in round 2.