Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

View Poll Results: should I help the LEO's?
yes 12 50.00%
no 9 37.50%
other, plz post 3 12.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-18-2011, 7:29 PM
My brother loves AOC
CGN Contributor

Lightbulb ....SHTF scenario came to my mind

I was just eating breakfast this morning and this SHTF scenario came to my mind. Going to reference some LA riots with my twist.

Imagine you're doing your regular night patrol in the worst areas of LA going through business district of Korea Town. LA Lakers won the championship that night and as you turn the corner in the you see a huge mob of thugs numbering in the thousands rioting over the winning. You back out since the risk is too great and call in for back up. Backup arrives with full riot gear and support vehicles.

It starts to become out of control when they start throwing rocks and bricks. The water cannon is busted out and the numbers of rioters continue to grow from local gangs and stupid kids. A fight between the gangs happen and shooting begins. The water cannon it aimed it shots at the shooters and the gangs stop but start shooting back.

News stations continue to broadcast the riots from the sky and broadcasting nation wide. More thugs continue to head to that area to join in on the riot.

Lets say I am down there visiting family and I see this on the news. The number of rioters hit over 100,000 making it 1000vs1 odds and is beyond control.

Now my hypothetical question: Should it be my duty as a lawful citizen to assist those in harms way and fight with the officers?
Old 08-18-2011, 7:32 PM
Calguns Addict

no i believe not they would instill a curfew and anyone out will either be arrested or shot.
it's a piss poor excuse to quit.
PSN name= entwie_dumayla
"I came into this world with someone else's blood on me and I don't mind leaving the same way..."
looking to buy in great condition yugo sks
Old 08-18-2011, 7:33 PM
My brother loves AOC
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob7122 View Post
no i believe not they would instill a curfew and anyone out will either be arrested or shot.
but shooting is coming from the rioters and the unlawful don't follow curfews.
Old 08-18-2011, 8:19 PM

If you work in the city that is rioting, YES (call sgt and go 10-8 if needed) . If its the city you live in and its no where near where you go 10-8...NO. Keep you and your family safe in your house.

just re-read it as a citizen not off duty officer scenario. I wouldn't go anywhere near the "hot-zone" If you want to help, go to the "warm-zone" and help the med / red cross with the victims.

Last edited by RedMongooSe; 08-18-2011 at 8:22 PM..
Old 08-18-2011, 8:21 PM

As Clint Smith would say, don't step in someone else's s###!
Old 08-18-2011, 9:12 PM
Calguns Addict

I would protect meslef and my family. the LEO's have no obligationto protect you and you none to protect them. I would exit stage left.

If it were coming to my home, business or my street... I would use all necessary force to protect my life and family.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhawke83 View Post
...Now my hypothetical question: Should it be my duty as a lawful citizen to assist those in harms way and fight with the officers?
It is not legally required of you to assist an officer, unless the officer orders you to assist. Tactically speaking, since you are not an officer, and thus not in uniform, it would not be the best idea to attempt to engage in a gun battle and assist the officers. Even an off duty officer would have a difficult time distinguishing himself from the crowd to assist the uniformed officers, and may become an unintended target. Your best bet is to leave the area and tend to your family.

Incidentally, LAPD doesn't use water cannons.
Old 08-19-2011, 3:17 AM
Veteran Member

From what the OP described (100,000+ rioters), i'd call the situation flat out WAR.

In that case, anything goes. Bring out the hardware and have some fun. What the heck....
Old 08-19-2011, 5:04 AM

During the LA riots, there were several extended shootings between armed gang members and the police. I've heard all kinds of crazy stories from coworkers who were there. A good example is found in "The Art of Modern Gunfighting" by S. Reitz. From the accounts I've heard, you don't want to be on either side of that gun battle.
Old 08-19-2011, 5:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

With all the confusion the COPS might think you're a bad guy.

So I would say No. Stay home and out of trouble.

During the LA Riots I was up in Burbank for a Wedding. Several of us had Mini-14s leaned up against the wall at the back of the Church. We pooled our $ and bought half dozen hotel rooms over at the Holiday Inn (off Alameda and the 5?..can't remember the off ramp). Then we watched Los Angeles burn and turn into a lawless hell hole......

Couldn't take the 5 home later. It was CLOSED.

One thing I learned was here in Earthquake Country is have a box of supplies in the TRUNK. You might be stuck 40 miles from home, overpasses broken, freeways closed, wild-fires raging and when that happens certain elements of our City come out and LOOT. So besides water, food, extra clothes, sleeping bag and medical stuff, A Glock 20 and ammo as well. All in a plastic box in my trunk.

Be well, Bob

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 08-19-2011, 6:31 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
With all the confusion the COPS might think you're a bad guy.

So I would say No. Stay home and out of trouble.

During the LA Riots I was up in Burbank for a Wedding. Several of us had Mini-14s leaned up against the wall at the back of the Church. We pooled our $ and bought half dozen hotel rooms over at the Holiday Inn (off Alameda and the 5?..can't remember the off ramp). Then we watched Los Angeles burn and turn into a lawless hell hole......

Couldn't take the 5 home later. It was CLOSED.

One thing I learned was here in Earthquake Country is have a box of supplies in the TRUNK. You might be stuck 40 miles from home, overpasses broken, freeways closed, wild-fires raging and when that happens certain elements of our City come out and LOOT. So besides water, food, extra clothes, sleeping bag and medical stuff, A Glock 20 and ammo as well. All in a plastic box in my trunk.

Be well, Bob
this^ self preservation and the preservation of your family and home should be first and foremost.

Law abiding firearm owners have no chance in this state.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member

If there was 100k rioters, and 10,000 LAPD officers which the dept size. They would either use LASD as mutual aid, or.... You would see the National Guard walking the streets.. You would have to be a real idiot to mess around with soldiers.. You be pinned down so quickly by them. I saw them down here during the wild fires, they had a command post set up near the local Court House with San Diego Sheriff's. They slept across the street from my girl friends house, and would do roving patrols through the city on a rotational 24 hour basis. They had roads blocked off with Humvees.

Last edited by Tacit Blue; 08-19-2011 at 11:36 PM..
Old 08-22-2011, 7:47 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I would personally welcome the help of a citizen, but i don't think the powers that be would want the liability of bringing in civilians and potential harm that would come to them.

On the other hand, one of my worst fears is being in a knock down brawl with some dude while 5-10 people stand around ****ing filming it with their cell phones. For ****sake help a brother out if he has his hand's full.