Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 03-01-2011, 6:46 PM

Default Anybody use TeraLUX flashlight upgrades? Converts bulb to L.E.D.

Hello my Bothers and Sisters,
A friend of mine told me about the company TeraLUX. They sell a lot of drop in conversion units for the "old" style flashlights that use typical lightbulbs and convert them to use high output L.E.D.'s I am not affiliated with this company, nor do I promote it...but it seems like a good way for a lot of us to upgrade the lights we already have.

Does anybody have any experience with this company? Are there other companies that offer similar products that are better for duty use?

This unit converts D-Cell maglights to put out 700 lumens !

http://www.terraluxcorp.com/terralux...6/Default.aspx

This is the Stinger upgrade
http://www.terraluxcorp.com/terralux...8/Default.aspx

I think I might get one of the maglight ones just to have a high output light that runs on standard batteries.

Last edited by bronco1500; 03-01-2011 at 7:14 PM..
Old 03-01-2011, 7:08 PM
Veteran Member

Linky no worky....
Old 03-01-2011, 7:14 PM

I think I fixed it...THX
Old 03-01-2011, 7:43 PM

I have a few partners that have upgraded their lights with TerraLux products - I think it's about 50/50 right now, primary problem being quality control.

Gene Malkoff is another maker of LED upgrades and you can find a bunch more by browsing CandlePowerForums...
Old 03-02-2011, 12:22 PM

The quality control at TerraLux is not good. If you get a dropin that works they are a fantastic upgrade for the light. If you decide to get one make sure it is from a company with a good return policy. The Malkoff dropings mentioned by Samuelx are real nice.

I have an old TerraLux dropin for an ancient Mag charger. It has always worked fine. My buddy upgraded a stinger a few month ago and the difference will blow you away. We had good luck but the quality control problem makes it a roll of the dice.
Old 03-02-2011, 4:43 PM

I picked up one of the newer version Terralux LED upgrades for my Streamlight SL20X...It uses a Cree MC-E quad-die emitter, which advertises 600 lumens. I compared it to my uncle's 600 lumen MC-E light and the brightness was comparable, which is to say WORLDS brighter than the incan bulb. I picked the multi-mode versions which has high, med, and low. The only drawback I've found is an annoying whine on low mode when the battery starts to get low. I've had it since November and it's been bounced around a bit...Still going strong.

My partner picked one up a couple months ago along with a new battery...His doesn't whine, so I'm thinking it might just be my battery is getting older.

Overall I think the "new" Terralux SL20 upgrade is well worth the cash. I think it's called the 110S.
Old 03-02-2011, 6:16 PM

i'm using a Teralux upgrade for my Streamlight Stinger, so far so good! quick and simple and the thing is way brighter than the incan bulb as socaldep has stated. i've read a lot about the quality issues of Teralux but took the plunge anyway, it was a small investment (in my case for the Stinger) for a huge improvement so i'm definitely not regretting it. they have a 1 yr warranty on it as well, i've had mine for about 4 or 5 months, put it through some rough stuff and its still going strong! battery life hasn't really been affected either, still get lots of hours out of it.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:01 PM

I have one in my streamlight sl20 and it works great. Bright and very long battery life. it is my duty life and takes a beating. it has even been run over by a lexus and still works fine
Old 03-03-2011, 12:09 PM

teralux best bang for the buck. the malkoff stuff is nice, but it's not that much better.
and if you are using any sort of drop-in for "my life depends on it" you are not looking at the correct flashlights