Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:27 PM

Default Anyone interview with the CBP recently?

It might be a bit of a long shot but I was wondering if anyone has interviewed with the CBP for a Border Patrol Agent position within the past few years. I have an interview scheduled for Dec. 15 and am looking to get a few words of advice and insight on what to expect. They're a little tight lipped about the interview just saying it will last at least 3-4 hours but could last all day long. I know they're not going to be asking any technical questions about the job and I'm expecting situational questions and the good old "Why do you want to work with the CBP" type questions and I have been practicing for those. Any advice or insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-28-2010, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydXmas250 View Post
It might be a bit of a long shot but I was wondering if anyone has interviewed with the CBP for a Border Patrol Agent position within the past few years. I have an interview scheduled for Dec. 15 and am looking to get a few words of advice and insight on what to expect. They're a little tight lipped about the interview just saying it will last at least 3-4 hours but could last all day long. I know they're not going to be asking any technical questions about the job and I'm expecting situational questions and the good old "Why do you want to work with the CBP" type questions and I have been practicing for those. Any advice or insight would be appreciated. Thanks.
Well it sounds like you got a pretty good idea on what to expect. The only advice I could give you is, donít be afraid to pause and think before answering their questions. Try to make eye contact with the Agents and be sure to sound confident. Once you come up with an answer, stick to it and be ready to explain why you believe it to be the right answer. Each answer you give will generate more questions, so be prepared for that. If you can, go on a ride along or at least watch Border Wars on Nat Geo to get an idea about the job (and maybe on how to answer some of the questions). Be professional and wear a suit! Good luck with the interview man!
Old 11-28-2010, 2:11 AM
Zipper-Suited Sun God
CGN Contributor

I had to sign a non-disclosure agreement after I interviewed on 11/15, so I can't give you any details beyond what you already know. I felt it was the easiest oral board I've ever been through... but my coworker went before a different board of agents that day and said it was the hardest OB he'd gone through. Your experience may vary...
Old 11-28-2010, 2:33 AM

100% what ArtSki said. MAKE SURE YOU STICK TO YOUR ANSWERS!! Be confident in the answers you give. That's the most important thing. Self confidence is what makes you stand out. Also try to study up a little bit about the Border Patrol. They might ask you what you know already about the Patrol, and if you know a little history it'll look good on you. Be prepared for the back to back questions, as ArtSki said, each answer begets more questions. Once again, be confident in your answers. Even if they make you think you're wrong, you may be right and they're testing your confidence. Good luck!

Old 11-28-2010, 7:30 AM

Thanks. That kind of advice is exactly what I'm looking for. I was definitely going to be in a suit. I'll be studying up on the CBP as well. I've thought of recording myself answering made up questions to see how I respond or at least if I'm speaking clearly. Cpl. Haas, have you moved to any of the next steps? I trying also to get a sense of how long this process is. I treating like a year long process at the moment.
Old 11-28-2010, 9:32 AM

I haven't taken the CBP oral, but most orals fall along the same general theme. Who are you, what are you applying for, why do you want the position, how have you prepared for the position and they may throw a scenario at you to see if you have common sense and a limited understading of their policy. The interviewers want to see if you can answer the question in a professional manner that demonstrates some command presence. You really should take the advice already given and go on a ride along or walk in to a station and speak to a couple of Officers about the job and what CBP needs fron new recruits. Good luck
Old 11-28-2010, 12:41 PM
Zipper-Suited Sun God
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydXmas250 View Post
Cpl. Haas, have you moved to any of the next steps? I trying also to get a sense of how long this process is. I treating like a year long process at the moment.
From what I've heard, that's not an extreme estimate. Apparently they're going to be running one class of 50 trainees every week starting in January, so maybe things will pick up. I've already received and send in all my pre-employment forms, as well as submitted my background packet online and sent in my fingerprint cards. All I'm waiting for at this point is my Med/PFT1, drug screening, and the call from my BI to start the investigation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtMike70 View Post
I haven't taken the CBP oral, but most orals fall along the same general theme. Who are you, what are you applying for, why do you want the position, how have you prepared for the position and they may throw a scenario at you to see if you have common sense and a limited understanding of their policy.
While I can't disclose the specifics of the BP interview, I can say that mine was nothing like that. I've done a few local LE interviews before, and it's always questions about myself, why I'd make a good officer/deputy, what I know about the department/city/county, and going over my resume... the BP interview was much different... other than wearing a nice suit, and making sure to speak in a strong and confident tone, there is really no way to "prepare" for the interview. The whole point of the interview, according to the hiring announcement itself, is to see if you have the "decision making ability, emotional maturity and interpersonal skills" necessary to be a Border Patrol Agent... it seems like it's one of those things where you either have those skills, and you pass, or you don't have those skills and you fail.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

You can trust me. I'm a arecrooman... aircroomen... airecrewmen... I fly on planes.