Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:46 AM

Default Anyone hear about Rio Hondo?

They have officially shut down their police academy pending a state investigation in regards to academic dishonesty (cheating on tests). Rumor has it cadets were given discs with verbatim questions and answers on them.

I just want to say ... you know... some four-letter words to those lowlife scumbags. I'm a veteran and was on route to attending their POST academy upon graduation from my 4-year university..
Old 10-08-2010, 1:09 AM

WTF? Rio had a great reputation for decades! There must have been some major staffing changes the past couple of years for something like this to happen.
Old 10-08-2010, 1:58 AM
Veteran Member

I'm glad action is being taken. Hopefully the scope of this isn't too large.
“War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

John Stuart Mill
English economist & philosopher (1806 – 1873)
Old 10-08-2010, 8:08 AM

no wonder my 832 class was canceled yesterday..........
Old 10-08-2010, 8:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Here is what I have seen...

Quote:
Rio Hondo police academy suspended, investigated for testing breach
By Tracy Garcia Staff Writer

Whittier Daily News

Posted: 10/05/2010 09:07:37 PM PDT

WHITTIER - Rio Hondo College's police academy program has been placed on suspension by the state following a breach in testing, college officials said Tuesday.

The state Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) took action Monday against the Rio Hondo Regional Training Center, otherwise known as the college's police academy.

POST is investigating how widespread the security breach was and how it can be prevented from happening again, officials said - and the affected tests will have to be recreated and validated at a substantial cost to the POST commission.

Rio Hondo College President Ted Martinez Jr. visited all affected classrooms Tuesday to break the news that all academy classes have been suspended until further notice.

That postponement will affect not only the current class of 122 cadets, but an incoming class that was scheduled to start later this month.

"We recognize the serious nature of the suspension, regret its impact on our students, and are working diligently with POST to resolve the issues," Martinez said.

"(The college) is committed to integrity in all facets of law enforcement training and preparation," he added.

College officials said all academy courses - including the "intensive" and "extended" formats, as well as the P.C. 832-Arrest, P.C. 832-Firearms and requalification courses - have been put on hold.

However, other classes in the college's Administration of Justice and Fire Academy were not affected, including in-service training, or specialized classes for existing law enforcement officers, officials said.

"Rio Hondo College apologizes to our regional law enforcement partners for this temporary interruption of police academy classes," Martinez said.

The police academy has been in existence since Rio Hondo College opened in the early 1960s. Its Administration of Justice program is the largest college-based program in California and trains police officers for some 40 jurisdictions, officials said.

CGF Contributor
NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
Beretta 90 series, GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger Armorer just for fun!
Old 10-08-2010, 8:50 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

more info here: http://www.whittierdailynews.com/news/ci_16271290

CGF Contributor
NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
Beretta 90 series, GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger Armorer just for fun!
Old 10-08-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
POST is investigating how widespread the security breach was and how it can be prevented from happening again, officials said - and the affected tests will have to be recreated and validated at a substantial cost to the POST commission.
A former LAPD captain told me that the recreation of the tests are currently estimated at $1.7mil
Old 10-08-2010, 1:40 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Having been active with our firearms training at our academy for the Reserves and Module courses there have been rumors of this for years now. Our department has not accepted Rio Hondo graduates for as long as I can remember. It all makes sense now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazoE
I don't feel a thing when some cop gets ghosted.
Old 10-08-2010, 2:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Rio Hondo used to have a stellar reputation. I worked with guys who came out of there who were nails.

Very unfortunate.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 10-08-2010, 7:02 PM

try Golden West
Old 10-16-2010, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911su16b870 View Post
Here is what I have seen...

WOW!
Old 10-18-2010, 6:14 PM

hm...interesting i had a buddy go thru there his mindset is correct but dont know much about his training. i know alot of small agencies pick from there. it's cheaper for them to hire someone from there then putting someone thru LASD/OCSD/LAPD.
Old 10-18-2010, 6:58 PM

I pointed this out to a buddy...

So you are a graduate of Rio Hondo and are a working cop. If can be shown you were given a copy of these questions and you did in fact pass the tests. Is your POST cert now invalidated and what do you do about it if you were POST? After all, it has not been proven to are able to pass the basic standards tests and thus, you have not actually passed any tests.

I can see all these folks having to "challenge" the test as laterals from other states do in order to keep their POST status. When it comes down to it, whether knowingly or not, they were given fraudulent academy graduation certs and will have to legally come into compliance. Otherwise, their employer can fire them even if they are beyond a probationary period. Their POST has/will be revoked.

And tack this on.... what if the city is trying to trim some fat already? They can drop these folks without allowing them to become re-certified with POST. They have no recourse and to add insult to injury, they can't lateral ANYWHERE at least until POST sorts out the mess!

In addition, if they have to get rehired and loose benefits they previously had, what can they do? Pay scale, retirement, education benies, intermediate/advanced pay.....Sounds to me like they are fugggged coming AND going on this one!

I feel bad for what is coming down the pipe with a Rio Honda graduate.
Old 10-18-2010, 8:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Wow...That sucks. For those who cheated......Have fun explaining this mess.....

In all seriousness....Why do people have to cheat???? The test are NOT hard!
Old 10-18-2010, 8:35 PM

A similar thing happened last year at the Yuba Community College District AOJ POST training facility. The investigation results were kept confidential but the rumor placed the blame on academy staff.

POST rolled-up all the Yuba College academy programs and canceled everything until further notice...

http://www.yccd.edu/aoj/academies.html
Old 10-21-2010, 2:19 PM

just wanted to clear somethings up. with rio hondo since the press basically assumed everyone or someone cheated. no one cheated, a graduate from the past class gave 2 of our tech cadets a copy of some study guides, and were instructed to place the guides on our class web site which tac staff knew about. and not every guide was put on the site, after each class the cadets would put the guide corresponding to that class. after a cadet mentioned that some questions matched that off the tests a tac staff member ordered that all guides be removed and deleted, then was reported to post. we were into our 5 test when we were told that the guides were not to be used anymore. when we found out that we were suspended we took our 18 test already. we did not have access to any guides since our 5 test.
Old 10-21-2010, 3:54 PM

If I read this correctly, they gave your class copies of the study guides which TAC determined were in some way compromising to the test and ordered them removed after published on the site?

If the guides were of actual test questions it appears at least two classes used fraudulent means to obtain passing scores. I don't think POST is going to really care one way or another what the intent was by the recruits. If they determine the actual test questions were passed out and used, there is really no way to mitigate the problem short of rewriting the entire LD test battery.

Then comes the issue of what to do with XXX amount of graduates who used or may have used the guides to pass the LD's. This is just a crappy situation to be in for POST and the Rio Hondo recruits/graduates.
Old 10-21-2010, 4:28 PM

One rumor I heard is that this has been going on for years... Sucks for those who graduated on their own merit...

PS I'd be happy to rewrite their tests for the measly sum of .75 mil...
Old 10-22-2010, 9:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullrearview View Post
Wow...That sucks. For those who cheated......Have fun explaining this mess.....

In all seriousness....Why do people have to cheat???? The test are NOT hard!
x2...read the LD, answer the questions at the end of each chapter, pass the test. Jeez.
Old 10-22-2010, 2:24 PM

I test at the end of this month to go to Rio Hondo to get into class 197 as a Pre-Service Cadet So... what you guys are telling me is that, it's not worth going to Rio Hondo cause alot of agencies don't hire out of Rio? Should I go?
Old 10-22-2010, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ3000 View Post
I test at the end of this month to go to Rio Hondo to get into class 197 as a Pre-Service Cadet So... what you guys are telling me is that, it's not worth going to Rio Hondo cause alot of agencies don't hire out of Rio? Should I go?
I know a lot of OC pds dont.
Old 10-22-2010, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ3000 View Post

At last check, they had their POST revoked. Or in other words, there won't be a Rio Hondo academy class 197 right now. You should look into Golden West.
Old 10-22-2010, 4:28 PM

yes. tax staff knew about the study guides but removed them once they saw that questions matched some of the tests. as of right now the investigation conducted by post shows we knew of the study guides as study guides and not cheat sheets. we will be finishing the rest of the academy at the sheriff dept facilities.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:03 PM

I was there yesterday. Had a chat with the firearm instructor. He said the staff themselves found the guides and reported it to POST. Like nonfactor said only the first handful of tests shared the same questions with the guide.

Their POST is not revoked and there going forward with class 197 and class 198 and the extended class. More info to come on their website once POST reveals their investigation results.
Old 10-26-2010, 2:54 PM

This is really depressing, I was really struggling to self sponsor and serious about a LEO career, now BAM this POST scandal hits.

The staff at Rio Hondo say that it is not as bad as the press and other people are saying, however I spoke with a recruiter at a PD that is hiring and she mentioned that they are not looking favorably at Rio Hondo graduates anymore. She also mentioned that it was unlikely Rio Hondo will be allowed to continue.

Whether or not she is wrong is irrelevant, because perception is reality. I have serious doubts about attending Rio now, and the distance I have to drive to Golden West or Riverside is much greater and they are also more expensive.

Anyone have advice?
Old 10-26-2010, 6:29 PM

they will continue. All be it in an interesting form. I heard a rumor that It looks like another Academy may be taking over the suspened class. They will get a chance to finish and the next classes may do the same. This whole situation is a negative for Rio, but it looks like those that did nothing wrong may be given a chance to finish the academy.
Old 10-29-2010, 3:46 PM

yoshy theres also an academy in fullerton.