Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:49 PM
Banned

Question ...

Hhhhh

Last edited by Foriegn power; 01-04-2014 at 3:34 PM..
Old 04-15-2010, 12:18 AM

Level III reserve officers may perform specified limited support duties, and other duties that are not likely to result in physical arrests, while supervised in the accessible vicinity by a Level I reserve officer or a full-time regular officer. Additionally, Level III reserve officers may transport prisoners without immediate supervision.

Level II reserve officers may perform general law enforcement assignments while under the immediate supervision of a peace officer who has completed the Regular Basic Course. These officers may also work assignments authorized for Level III reserve officers without immediate supervision.

Level I reserve officers may work alone and perform the same duties as full-time regular officers. A Level 1 who qualifies for a basic POST may become full time 803.1 LEO's if the supervising authority (City, etc) passes a specified ordinance.

Prior to 1997 a Level 2 could combine academy & field training to advance to Level 1. Now the only way to advance from Level 3 to Level2 to Level is via the additional modules in the academy (Modular academy structure) + field training & verified competence.

For details:
http://www.post.ca.gov/Training/Rese...ficer_Program/
Old 04-15-2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drider View Post
I answered some of my own questions but please tell me your experiences:
# Can Level III reserve officers carry firearms?

Level III reserve officers are peace officers and are authorized to carry firearms in the course of their duties. Their entry-level training requirement includes firearms training. However, some agencies have chosen to restrict their Level III reserves from carrying firearms.
# Can reserve officers carry automatic weapons or weapons with silencers?

No, the exemption for possessing these weapons only applies to “regular salaried, full-time” peace officers. [12201(b) and 12501(b) PC]
About the only time a Level III will carry a firearm is when transporting prisoners or working a parade or other public event.

Most Level III's have a specific technical or specialty skill but want no part (Or are unable to perform) of general LE duties. Many agencies still refer to the Level III folks as "Technical Reserves".

In the past many CLEO's that wanted to issue CCW's to a select few would have those persons go through Level III training, then issue under 830.6 authority (These CCW's did not show up in the publicly reported numbers & state law allows for a large degree of confidentiality for LEO's). A CCW is still used as a carrot by many agencies to attract reserve officers.
Old 04-15-2010, 7:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalblue View Post
About the only time a Level III will carry a firearm is when transporting prisoners or working a parade or other public event.
Not true. A large number of our Search and Rescue volunteers have become Level III reserves for the specific ability to carry a weapon when doing their searches. Why do they need a weapon you ask? (I asked the same thing). Not to shoot a mountain lion in the back country it turns out. Seems that 60% of their searches now are urban searches for missing oldsters or children, and most of those seaches involve the nastier areas of town, often at night.
Old 04-15-2010, 7:16 AM

Forgot to add my personal account. I'm a D-3 (Level III) and I don't work in an office or direct traffic at parades. I'm an armorer and firearms instructor with the Weapons Training Unit, and yes, I carry a sidearm (but none of the other leather stuff) at all times. The fun stuff is when I have to work on the MP5s and Thompsons; not the work itself (parts is parts) but of course you have to test them out afterwards .
Old 04-15-2010, 9:44 AM

Assuming the basic POST rules on all this as a baseline, different departments will have different policy for reserves.

Mine for example would have the following perspective.

Level 3's - When you're in uniform, you're armed. Bad guys don't know the difference and you should be able to protect yourself. Level 3's currently perform duties that range from working a front desk at a station, custody assignments, working a mobile range, if you have specialized civilian talents you might help a detective with certain complexities of a case, etc etc. Never patrol related duties -- ever. CCW's may be issued.

Level 2's Usually assigned to patrol stations, but can be in specialized units, go through field training, and once complete can ride with a full timer or Level 1D Reserve. Sworn search and rescue deputies will have a minimum of a level 2. CCW's may be issued.

Level 1/D - is good to go in almost any assignment as long as post required specialized training in that assignment is complete. POST has made this module the longest now taking some hours form the past level 2 and putting in this. Most of the more aggressive units taking a reserve will want a 1D rating. I left the level 1-ND rating out because in my department they are pretty rare. NO CCW needed.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:11 AM
Banned

Very interesting, I'm looking forward into becoming an reserve.
Old 04-15-2010, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallship View Post
Forgot to add my personal account. I'm a D-3 (Level III) and I don't work in an office or direct traffic at parades. I'm an armorer and firearms instructor with the Weapons Training Unit, and yes, I carry a sidearm (but none of the other leather stuff) at all times. The fun stuff is when I have to work on the MP5s and Thompsons; not the work itself (parts is parts) but of course you have to test them out afterwards .
I loved being an armorer! (I was still a Level 1 but had all the toys). We had a few Thompson SMG's & M1/M2 carbines (WWII surplus the department rec'd in the late 1940's) + 20 or so ORIGINAL Armalite 180's.

Took three years but finally convinced the COP to put all the old stuff (Less a trophy example of each) up for auction. made enough $$ to fully outfit the SWAT team and a new SWAT truck with a bit left over.
Old 04-15-2010, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalblue View Post
Took three years but finally convinced the COP to put all the old stuff (Less a trophy example of each) up for auction. made enough $$ to fully outfit the SWAT team and a new SWAT truck with a bit left over.
Ain't that the truth. People are amazed when I tell them how much the Thompsons (we have a 1928 and an M1A1, both in excellent condition) are worth.
Old 04-15-2010, 4:19 PM
Banned

So police departments still have thompsons and M1A1's? Awesome.
Old 04-15-2010, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drider View Post
So police departments still have thompsons and M1A1's? Awesome.
We have them, but they're not used in service anymore. BTW, M1A1 is a type of Thompson, the one with the charging handle on the side.
Old 04-16-2010, 9:04 AM
Banned

Do you think most old departments still have some nice firearms in their armorer?