Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 12-03-2009, 1:36 PM

Default ...

Last edited by tx77057; 12-20-2012 at 2:51 PM..
Old 12-03-2009, 1:42 PM

I met a young guy who got a citation for using his grandma's placard once.

If I'm not mistaken, there is a number on the placard you can run in the system.

I know "retired" used to love giving handi-cap cites...he'll probably chime in and give you the details...

EDIT: I think the guy told me the fine was 700 dollars...
Old 12-03-2009, 2:11 PM
Veteran Member

I have a close friend that's a double amputee....I take a dim view of the able bodied using Disabled Parking spots. Will go out of my way to point it out to any LE nearby I find. Those spots exist for good reason. Spend a day with someone that really needs one and you'll understand. I normally get pretty frustrated when we can't find one for him to use, then see some perfectly healthy person with an expensive car drive out of one. This is even more annoying than tools going slow in the fast lane.
"Looking a bit angry, he asked why I thought it was a Republican truck. I explained that if it were an Obama truck, the seats would blow smoke up your *** year-round. I had to walk back to the dealership. The guy had no sense of humor."
Old 12-03-2009, 2:24 PM

Misuse of a Handicap Placard was one of my favorite parking tickets. Yes, the placards are issued to a PERSON, not a vehicle. The number on the placard can be "run" to determine who it was issued to. Additionally, the person it is issued to is given a small document from DMV that loosely resembles a registration certificate, and it bears the name of the bondafide placard owner. It is sent with the placard and instructs the recipient to keep the certificate with them in the car whenever the placard is being used.

I actually helped some meter maids work a sting at a location where abuse was rampant, but for the most part I would determine if the placard belonged to the person driving the car. If not, that person got the ticket for parking in a handicapped zone, and additional an charge on the cite for misuse of a parking placard and I was authorized at that point to seize the placard. Yes, I did get a slight buzz from doing this to yuppies, me generation types, etc. who all did a song and dance about it was grandma's or dad's placard, yadayada. If the driver's attitude was just overbearing or too nasty, sometimes a mechanical violation would be found.

Bear in mind that just because a person is young, healthy looking and has no visible physical or age disabilities doesn't preclude his/her legitimate use of a placard. Some may have injuries or disabilities that are not obvious, such as a severe heart condition, arthritus, etc.

Getting caught was about 700+ dollars in fines plus loss of the placard. Interestingly, I NEVER got a protest on one of those, even if the contact involved alot of friction and objection. Some of these folks essentially counted on using grandma's placard as a park anywhere pass.

Last edited by eltee; 12-03-2009 at 2:27 PM..
Old 12-03-2009, 2:39 PM

I am eligible for a Placard and have one due to a missing leg and back surgery, however I don't need to use it all of the time and when I feel ok I will park in a normal spot. I don't want to misuse the privilege as I know some people need it a lot more than I do.
Old 12-03-2009, 3:28 PM
I need a LIFE!!

There was a story on Yahoo a while back that over 50% of the handicapped placards used in San Francisco (because of the limited and expensive parking) were being used by people who the placards were not issued to.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 12-03-2009, 4:03 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagump View Post
I met a young guy who got a citation for using his grandma's placard once.

If I'm not mistaken, there is a number on the placard you can run in the system.

I know "retired" used to love giving handi-cap cites...he'll probably chime in and give you the details...
I loved it so much, I wish the dept. had given me a case of them when I retired.

eltee covered it very well; especially the part about someone young not having any apparent medical disability.

When I left the field in 1997, the fine was $325 for parking in the actual space and $260 for blocking access (parking either on the line or over it while parked in the space next to a disabled one or parking on the blue diagonal lines). I don't have any idea what it is now.

Re the parking on the diagonal blue lines: I have cited people who parked there even if they have a placard/plate. That space is to allow the disabled, especially those with wheelchairs, accessibility.

I once cited a guy at the local racquetball club in D. Bar where I was a member. There was only one disabled space and people were always parking there because the lot was small.

After citing, I went inside to find out who owned the car to make them move it. Once I met him, I decided to have the Lt. void it. Turns out there was a disabled tournament being held and the driver was a double leg amputee and in a wheelchair. He had a placard, he just forgot to put it up.

I apologized and told him I'd have it voided (I certainly didn't want to go to court on that one, tho technically he was in violation). My Lt. voided it after screwing with me a bit.
Old 12-03-2009, 4:21 PM

posted this one in another thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
Good. I hate those that park in a handicapped spot without a placard or plate.

Back in the day when I worked retail, I saw this young guy pull up into a handicpped stall in an otherwise empty parking lot and stroll into the store. A couple minutes later he comes tearing past me with a couple employees in tow. Guy gets caught with some merchandise under his shirt. Cops are called and they put the cuffs on him and load him in the back of the patrol car. Just before the cop left, I said, "Oh officer, that car in the handicapped spot is his as well and he doesn't have a placard that I can see". So the cop went over there and wrote him a ticket for that before he took him to jail
And retired's comment reminded me of another one.

My aunt and uncle went shopping a couple weeks ago and parked in a handicapped spot. My aunt hopped out of the passenger seat of the Excursion and there was a person in a car behind them. The lady started giving her the evil eye when it appeared that my Aunt (around 40 or so) was not handicapped. Then my uncle (also around 40) hopped out of the drivers seat. The lady was really getting pissed at this point. So my uncle reached down and lifted his pant leg, showing her his artificial leg. OOPS, lady drove away quick at that point.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 12-03-2009, 5:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

some of you may remember the nutjob that lives up stairs from me, the one I have a perminant restraining order against. I have seen him go out and take the plackard from his mothers car and put it in his to avoid a street sweeping ticket... it just rubs me the wrong way

I mean, how much effort is it to walk a few yards or move a car for the street sweeper, I mean, I hate street sweeping ticket as much as the next guy, probably more as I work grave yard.... but..geze

Or do you just hate her so much you can't let go?
Old 12-03-2009, 5:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Retired's story reminded me of my younger days: in 1980 I tore my right ACL while snow skiing. At the time I didn't have any insurance but an old neighbor was an orthopaedic surgeon and he drained and immobilized the knee (brace) and put me on crutches. A day or two later I went to the Post Office in my beat up old station wagon (learning how to drive with my left foot -- which I got pretty darn good at) and parked in the disabled spot. No sooner did I pull in when a San Diego PD patrol car pulls in behind me and blocks me in; out pops this young, female officer with a smirk on her face.
She saunters over as I pull myself out of the car, dragging my braced leg out behind me; I reached in and retrieved my crutches and turned to face her -- the look on her face was almost priceless; she thought she had an easy score, and here I am hobbling about on crutches.

Guess she thought the better of it and didn't bother ticketing me...

I did end up getting a placard for the months I was healing; back in those days they weren't issued with the ID card though.

BTW, my mother suffered from Multiple Sclerosis from the late 60's on and was wheel chair bound by the late 70's, so I have lots of experience dealing with the disabled parking issue every time I took her somewhere -- happens to be my pet driving peeve too!
Old 12-03-2009, 5:52 PM
Calguns Addict

that was also one of my pet peeves

when i worked at a fixed post...courthouse...we would always run the placard for who it was issued to and waited for the driver to come out (we had video cameras)

they got the double cite for using the placard and we took it too. then they would have to explain to (usually) mom what happened to it...and have to go get another. we'd usually collect enough (20-30) in about a month to take down to DMV.

i used to have campus police stake out my car when i had a placard for a work related injury...they just figured that anyone driving a 911 couldn't be disabled
Old 12-03-2009, 6:10 PM
CGSSA Associate

I have the placard due to my acl surgery as well. People always give me evil looks because I am on the younger looking side. Some times my knee really bothers me other times it doesnt until I walk for a short distance.
Old 12-03-2009, 6:59 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post
There was a story on Yahoo a while back that over 50% of the handicapped placards used in San Francisco (because of the limited and expensive parking) were being used by people who the placards were not issued to.
Add to that....
Something like 90% of requests to the DMV offer the good cause as "Obesity"

Ya... the people that NEED to walk that extra 20ft get the tags so they don't have to.
Now, this isn't 90% of issued tags, but I'll betcha' it's for a good percentage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Then there was that story of the UCLA football team awhile back using them.
Old 12-04-2009, 7:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

There was a nice cellphone video on the local news last night of a City of Arvin police officer using the handicapped space at the local bank while he went in to do his private banking.

From the Chief, "Police cars are allowed to park any place in an emergency but this was not the case in this instance. The officer in the video no longer works for the Arvin PD"

Old 12-04-2009, 8:05 AM
Calguns Addict

I despise people that abuse the placard OR the spots just becuase they are in a hurry.

in 2001 I was hit by a car while on my bike. in the hospital for 3 weeks.. 2 weeks in ICU alone. My back was broken in 2 spots, leg, arm. Anyway, after I got out I used a placard sparingly as I was able to get around, slowly. 1 day I was walking to my gym after PT and a women pulled up in a huge SUV with her kids in the car and pulled into the only open handicap spot, jumped out and ran in. I could see it all from across the lot. 5 minutes later, when I reached the door she was coming out and I commented that those spots are for the handicapped... she said to me

"if you knew the day I had, you would understand".. I flipped and yelled at her as I was pissed

she didn't see the back brace I had under my jacket holding my back together... and she thought her "bad" day was justification

now, years later, I am still hyper alert to people that abuse the system and would have no problem ratting an abuser out in a quick second.

WTS: Gun stuff & things WTB: Glock 19 Gen 3
Old 12-04-2009, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
There was a nice cellphone video on the local news last night of a City of Arvin police officer using the handicapped space at the local bank while he went in to do his private banking.

From the Chief, "Police cars are allowed to park any place in an emergency but this was not the case in this instance. The officer in the video no longer works for the Arvin PD"
I would like to believe that officer had something else in his backround to justify his firing. Tho I most heartedly agree he should have been disciplined, losing his job doesn't fit the violation IMHO. That is a rather extreme punishment. It was a stupid and inconsiderate move on his part, but a suspension, loss of pay and a notation in his file for evaluation purposes, should have been sufficient.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
I would like to believe that officer had something else in his backround to justify his firing. Tho I most heartedly agree he should have been disciplined, losing his job doesn't fit the violation IMHO. That is a rather extreme punishment. It was a stupid and inconsiderate move on his part, but a suspension, loss of pay and a notation in his file for evaluation purposes, should have been sufficient.
I agree.

It's not like Arvin is a huge town with a large police force that wouldn't miss the loss of an officer. OTOH, it could have been a way to fire someone and deny benefits when one or more officers were scheduled for layoff.

Quote:
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 12-04-2009, 2:02 PM

We've had disabled plates on all our vehicles for a several years now. Up until a few years ago, I rode a motorcycle with a disabled plate. Talk about dirty looks!

One thing that worries me is when my wife drops me at the door and then parks the car in a handicapped spot so I can get to it while she is shopping. Sooner or later, I expect I'll have to explain it to a judge.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." ~ Claire Wolfe
Old 12-04-2009, 2:28 PM
CGSSA Associate

I have to admit I always wondered about disabled plates on motorcycles.... That was until I jacked up my knee and went back to riding against the doctors orders. My knee doesn't effect my riding at all, even when I come to a stop light and I have to put at least one leg down I put my hurt leg down. Its not till I get off the bike that I have to limp away in most cases So now I get it....
Old 12-04-2009, 3:21 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte- View Post
I have to admit I always wondered about disabled plates on motorcycles.... That was until I jacked up my knee and went back to riding against the doctors orders. My knee doesn't effect my riding at all, even when I come to a stop light and I have to put at least one leg down I put my hurt leg down. Its not till I get off the bike that I have to limp away in most cases So now I get it....
Yup. I know a lot of bikers with legitimate DP plates. Mostly it's knee and hip issues. There's a guy who frequents Chad's in Big Bear who has an artificial leg... amputated above the knee... and he doesn't ride a trike!
It's his right leg, and he can still operate the rear brake and brace the bike when stopped.

Quote:
Old 12-04-2009, 9:45 PM
Calguns Addict

People who mis-use disabled placards get ZERO slack from me. Recently caught an attorney using her mothers placard at the courthouse because she didn't want to pay $6 to park. On top of that, she provided false information to me when called on it. Judge didn't view it too kindly. It cost her $2,000 and 30 days of picking up trash for CalTrans, and 3 years probation. Add to it, a letter of reprimand from the State Bar Association.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 12-04-2009, 9:57 PM

Quote:
I loved it so much, I wish the dept. had given me a case of them when I retired.

eltee covered it very well; especially the part about someone young not having any apparent medical disability.

When I left the field in 1997, the fine was $325 for parking in the actual space and $260 for blocking access (parking either on the line or over it while parked in the space next to a disabled one or parking on the blue diagonal lines). I don't have any idea what it is now.

Re the parking on the diagonal blue lines: I have cited people who parked there even if they have a placard/plate. That space is to allow the disabled, especially those with wheelchairs, accessibility.

I once cited a guy at the local racquetball club in D. Bar where I was a member. There was only one disabled space and people were always parking there because the lot was small.

After citing, I went inside to find out who owned the car to make them move it. Once I met him, I decided to have the Lt. void it. Turns out there was a disabled tournament being held and the driver was a double leg amputee and in a wheelchair. He had a placard, he just forgot to put it up.

I apologized and told him I'd have it voided (I certainly didn't want to go to court on that one, tho technically he was in violation). My Lt. voided it after screwing with me a bit.
I guess I'll share...

The guy who trained me at the last department used to give EVERYONE handi-cap tickets. It didn't matter how old or how many legs they were missing. If they didn't have it...they got a ticket. One day, I asked why he was being such an ***. He told me that one day while writing a handi-cap cite, this little old lady runs out and tells him she has a placard but forgot it at home. He feels bad (like most people) and voids the cite. As she is driving away...she gives him her wrinkled middle finger and says "F*ck You".

Ever since then...he'd cite EVERYONE.

One day I'm driving through a parking structure and I see this car parked across two spaces. W...T...F...

So I cite the car for everything I can. Ticket ended up being over 325 (the total price would be written at the bottom of the ticket).

About 20 mins later this guy is at the station. He says he forgot to put his emergency brake on...and his car had some kind of mechanical issue...so the car reversed out of the parking space across from the handi-cap spaces and since the steering wheel was turned to the left...the car came to a complete stop across the two handi-cap spaces.

It was the best story I'd EVER heard...
Old 12-04-2009, 10:10 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-Solo View Post
It cost her $2,000 and 30 days of picking up trash for CalTrans, and 3 years probation. Add to it, a letter of reprimand from the State Bar Association.
Yeouch!

My 1992 DUI was only 10 days... and I had a choice... 10 days or $1300.

Quote:
Old 12-04-2009, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
People who mis-use disabled placards get ZERO slack from me. Recently caught an attorney using her mothers placard at the courthouse because she didn't want to pay $6 to park. On top of that, she provided false information to me when called on it. Judge didn't view it too kindly. It cost her $2,000 and 30 days of picking up trash for CalTrans, and 3 years probation. Add to it, a letter of reprimand from the State Bar Association.
Excellent!
Old 12-05-2009, 7:10 AM

Quote:
Superb. Justice at its finest. Don't tell me, the lawyer probably had a pretty slick car, right? Love it. $2k + 30 days of litter duty + probation.

Brothers and sisters, DO NOT forget that lawyers have to have a Bar Association card to work, and potential employers check with the Bar for disciplinary actions against lawyers. The Cal. Bar Assn. has a team of investigators who look into lawyer misconduct, so feel free to drop that dime when you encounter lawyer misconduct ... the lawyers certainly waste no time in calling I.A. or the review board if they think a cop did something wrong.
Old 12-05-2009, 1:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
The chief didn't explain it and the officer could have left for another reason but I think that the chief was just trying to get the message out that it is not tolerated in his department.

Old 12-05-2009, 4:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
The chief didn't explain it and the officer could have left for another reason but I think that the chief was just trying to get the message out that it is not tolerated in his department.
He certainly accomplished that.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:11 AM

what if I take my mom to the store, and "we" park in the handicapped parking with her handicapped placard? She does not drive anymore. So if they run the placard, and see its not registered to me, whats going to happen?
Old 12-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOELKY View Post
what if I take my mom to the store, and "we" park in the handicapped parking with her handicapped placard? She does not drive anymore. So if they run the placard, and see its not registered to me, whats going to happen?
Nothing, if Mom is with you. If you're sitting in your car by yourself and Mom is in the store or not at the vehicle, you'll have some explaining to do. I've caught a number of people using their relatives placard and hearing the story of just waiting for them to come back. I'd get a description of the person and go into the store looking for them. If they were there, no problem, but many times it was a lie and I'd cite them and confiscate the placard for misuse of a placard.

My advice to you would be to stay with your Mom or have her nearby in case you get asked.

I always gave a legitimately H/C person a break. I once cited a car on a busy downtown street for double parking. As I put the cite on the windshield, the driver came up and said she was helping her H/C Mother into a restaurant. I asked her what restaurant it was. I parked my car and went into the restaurant. I found the woman who I cited and asked her to point out her Mom. She pointed to a woman with a walker. I then asked the driver for her copy of the cite and told her I would be voiding it for her. She was astonished I took it back. I told her I just wanted to follow up and when I found the story true, It was the right thing to do.
Old 12-12-2009, 7:54 PM

The placard is issued to a person and can be traced to that person. I have one and use it when I am in the car. If I am not in the car or my other half is not picking me up he doesn't use it. Not worth the ticket and the risk of my losing it. I can't count the number of times I have seeing them misused and it drives me insane.

One example was a young guy in a hummer goes through the drive through of Del Taco then pulls in to one of the two handicap spaces puts up his placard and eats right there in the parking lot. Leaves as soon as he is done. I mean come on if you wanted to eat there why not just come in the restaurant in the first place. Oh not to mention he came in to the spot fast and just about took out my little Honda. I saw the same guy a few days later jumping out of his hummer and go jogging in to a store. I was livid to say the least.
Old 12-12-2009, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
Add to that....
Something like 90% of requests to the DMV offer the good cause as "Obesity"

Ya... the people that NEED to walk that extra 20ft get the tags so they don't have to.
Now, this isn't 90% of issued tags, but I'll betcha' it's for a good percentage.
Well while I am overweight...I didn't get my placard isn't for being obese. I got it due to my spinal surgery and the fact I can't carry things very far. And the fact that my right knee is screwy some days it hurts to just walk a few feet. On good days I don't bother using the placard.
Old 12-12-2009, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD3 View Post
We've had disabled plates on all our vehicles for a several years now. Up until a few years ago, I rode a motorcycle with a disabled plate. Talk about dirty looks!

One thing that worries me is when my wife drops me at the door and then parks the car in a handicapped spot so I can get to it while she is shopping. Sooner or later, I expect I'll have to explain it to a judge.
As long as you are in the vehicle then there should be no reason to have to explain it. I am not a big fan of driving since my spinal surgery so my other half does it. If I am with him he will park in a handicap space to make it easier for me. If he is meeting me somewhere he will park there knowing that I will be getting in the car.
Old 12-12-2009, 8:06 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylaGWolf View Post
Well while I am overweight...I didn't get my placard isn't for being obese. I got it due to my spinal surgery and the fact I can't carry things very far. And the fact that my right knee is screwy some days it hurts to just walk a few feet. On good days I don't bother using the placard.
And that is a perfectly legitimate reason.
My wife has been dealing with a worker's comp issue for over 10 years.

Quote: