Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 07-20-2019, 4:46 PM

Default 1911 9mm mags/barrel feeding

Hey All,

Just finished building my 1911 in 9mm. Looks like the mags I purchased are maybe meant for a differnt feed ramp possibly ramped. Is there anyone local I am in the 909 that has some Kimber 9mm mags I can test out to see how they feed with some snap caps? I purchase some Mec-Gar mags and seem to be a straight style mag follower.

Thanks!

Alex
Old 07-20-2019, 5:13 PM
👀They’re Watching 👀
CGN Contributor

Shouldn’t matter what ramp you have, the mags should work regardless

ETA: Unless of course, you’re trying to use a .45 ACP GI frame ramp

Last edited by 9mmContagion; 07-21-2019 at 5:42 PM..
Old 07-20-2019, 5:18 PM
Combat Wombat
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: You must have really bad eyesight to think guns look phallic.

Remove the slide. Attach the barrel to the lower. Insert a magazine into the lower.

What does the mag/barrel feed situation look like?
To placate the Democrats, President Trump has agreed to require that all guns in America be registered. The registration process will consist of the owner writing down his name on a form along with a list of every gun owned, by serial number. The form is then filed by dousing it with gasoline and igniting it.
Old 07-20-2019, 6:24 PM
👀They’re Watching 👀
CGN Contributor

What problem are you having? May help to answer your question
Old 07-20-2019, 6:26 PM

Attaching a link here. It feeds directly into the barrel/ramp.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4x9sHVjG96ajw9zz8

EDIT: Did some more research and read some reviews of these mags I purchased and there was a similar person having the same issue. The metal ones without the plastic follower works fine. So I might have answered my own question/concern.

Last edited by acag86; 07-20-2019 at 6:56 PM..
Old 07-20-2019, 7:37 PM
Vendor/Retailer

It will not feed into the chamber. They always feed into the ramp. That’s normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2019, 4:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acag86 View Post
Just finished building my 1911 in 9mm. Looks like the mags I purchased are maybe meant for a differnt feed ramp possibly ramped. Is there anyone local I am in the 909 that has some Kimber 9mm mags I can test out to see how they feed with some snap caps? I purchase some Mec-Gar mags and seem to be a straight style mag follower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acag86 View Post
Attaching a link here. It feeds directly into the barrel/ramp.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4x9sHVjG96ajw9zz8
9mm 1911's usually use a ramped barrel where the frame is cut for the ramp which is part of the barrel instead of being on the frame.
9mm barrels without a feedramp are more troublesome because the ramp in a 1911 frame is usually setup for a 45acp.
9mm's use a different ramp geometry.

1911's normally feed with two bumps.
The first bump is the bullet striking the feedramp and deflecting the bullet upward.
The 2nd bump is the bullet striking the underside of the barrel hood and deflecting the bullet into the chamber.
The 2nd bump should normally happen just after the cartridge case leaves the magazine lips.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 07-21-2019, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmContagion View Post
Shouldn’t matter what ramp you have, the mags should work regardless
Agreed. My understanding is that the feed ramps between 9mm and 45 acp are just cut to different lengths. 9mm's ramp will be shorter because it's not cut as deep into the frame.
Did you start with a 45 acp cut frame, or a 9mm cut frame? You have checked to make sure that there is no overhang of the barrel's feedramp? If there's an overhang, the nose of the bullet will catch and not feed. That's an easy fix.
But to check, take a sharp tool, a pencil or pen works, and, with the slide locked back, drag the tip of the "tool" up the feed ramp and see if it slides smoothly, or gets stopped by barrel overhang.
I've put 4 9mm uppers on 45 acp cut frame, and never had a feeding problem. The 9mms actually feed very well.
Old 07-21-2019, 5:19 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Default 1911 9mm mags/barrel feeding

9mm, 40, 38 super, 10mm all use ramped barrels to add case support. They do not require ramped barrels in single stack guns to be reliable. STIs are a whole different ball of wax. Absolutely must use ramped barrels for reliability in STI double stacks.

Ramped barrels have .300” long ramp because of the barrel to frame interface. No other reason. 0.400 is still preferred if using a frame ramp. Colt has never used ramped barrels and their guns feed just fine but again you lose case support.

I use the exact same angle for barrel ramps (frame permitting of course) as I do frame ramps.

With all of that said, I recommend ramped barrels for all calibers except 45 (strictly speaking standard calibers). I highly do not recommend ramped barrels for 45 (again with exception to STI frames).

One other note, single stack frames are not caliber specific. They are barrel type (ramped or un-ramped) specific and un-ramed frames can easily be cut to ramped but obviously not the other way around. Slides are caliber specific.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by CifaldiPrecision; 07-21-2019 at 5:23 PM..