Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 07-03-2019, 11:59 AM

Default Should I apply or?

Hello I have been wondering if I should post or not. I figured that there is probably some well informed individuals in here so I should. I just hope my questions don't receive any negative comments. Please information only, no opinions.

Start of I have been in good standing with law enforcement for most of my adult life only at like 18-20 I had some run ins no convictions only a dismissed charge. But then about a year and a half ago I served my cheating wife some papers and she came over and then called the cops and had me arrested for domestic violence, only reason they arrested me is because of her words "I want him arrested" it was a ploy to win more custody. But don't need to get into all that. I went down the jail and got out that night. The District Attorney never filled charges so the case went away. Probably due to the lack of evidence. But that is all speculatory and circumstantial. He said she said. Does that make it impossible to carry? Please any good knowledge would be welcomed. I have purchased a few firearms since all this but wondering if I'll ever be able to carry.

I really am a nice guy and a law bidding citizen. Well now I am LOL and have been for the last 15 years not even a traffic ticket. And I am not a violent person.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:04 PM

Depends on the issuing agency, but doesn't sound like it would be a huge issue to overcome with a simple explanation. Most cops have been through at least one divorce and can probably relate... You aren't a prohibited person since you weren't convicted, so it really shouldn't be an issue... Especially if you have no other history of violence or criminal history.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush fan View Post
Depends on the issuing agency, but doesn't sound like it would be a huge issue to overcome with a simple explanation. Most cops have been through at least one divorce and can probably relate... You aren't a prohibited person since you weren't convicted, so it really shouldn't be an issue... Especially if you have no other history of violence or criminal history.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Not an expert on CCW's but from my researches in the past, LA county will not issue one even if you have a perfect background.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR514 View Post
Not an expert on CCW's but from my researches in the past, LA county will not issue one even if you have a perfect background.
His profile says he is in Huntington Beach, which is in Orange County not LA county.

OC is pretty CCW friendly, if you can articulate a decent cause statement. I recommend looking at the numerous OC threads in this forum to see what flies and learn about the process.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.Ē -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 07-03-2019, 12:37 PM

Wow Thanks for all the replies so far. Makes me feel a lot better. I thought I was screwd. I have been reading some of that stuff but before I dove too deer into finding my cause statement i figured id ask around about this mishap. Horrible little blip that doesn't deserve to be there.

Yes I am in Orange County. Thank you so much so far. I really do feel better about my case. Thank you, thank you
Old 07-03-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
His profile says he is in Huntington Beach, which is in Orange County not LA county.

OC is pretty CCW friendly, if you can articulate a decent cause statement. I recommend looking at the numerous OC threads in this forum to see what flies and learn about the process.
I swear I saw Hermosa beach..
Old 07-03-2019, 1:59 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Just explain everything, hide nothing. You'll probably be fine. Cops see BS DV complaints every day and some of them are even caught up.

Old 07-04-2019, 6:50 AM

The IA will love that part about your ex ordering the PD officers to arrest you and them complying with said order absent any evidence of domestic violence.

Oh yeah, the folks that do the background checks and interviews are not the pushovers like many out on the Interwebs.

Sure, go ahead and apply...it will be good to get the denial that is sure to come on record.
Old 07-04-2019, 8:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
The IA will love that part about your ex ordering the PD officers to arrest you and them complying with said order absent any evidence of domestic violence.

Oh yeah, the folks that do the background checks and interviews are not the pushovers like many out on the Interwebs.

Sure, go ahead and apply...it will be good to get the denial that is sure to come on record.
Itís not that she ordered. The officer told me that in California if she says anything like she is scared or wants me arrested due to alleged domestic abuse they have to take it seriously and arrest the individual even if there is no evidence.

And are you saying not to do it? You think I will get a denial? I was asking if itís worth a shot or will it have a negative impact? And I canít tell if youíre being a smart a** or? Like stated I just want a honest assessment absent negativity.
Old 07-04-2019, 10:59 AM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Couple of considerations - have you bought a gun since this all happened? If not you may want to get your DOJ criminal history records and your FBI rap sheet. If there is no disposition recorded with that arrest you could have a problem even buying a gun, which would obviously be a problem for CCW issuance.

Along those same lines, it would not hurt to try and get a letter from the DA office - a letter of non prosecution if that is possible. You may need an attorney to help you but it would be worth it. It would be something you want to have no matter if you decide to pursue CCW or not.

If you see an arrest with no disposition you need to challenge the record and get the disposition added. The DA letter would make that easier. Also maybe do a PFEC if you have not bought a gun.

Let us know what happens if you decide to go for it.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 07-04-2019 at 11:03 AM..
Old 07-04-2019, 12:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Couple of considerations - have you bought a gun since this all happened? If not you may want to get your DOJ criminal history records and your FBI rap sheet. If there is no disposition recorded with that arrest you could have a problem even buying a gun, which would obviously be a problem for CCW issuance.

Along those same lines, it would not hurt to try and get a letter from the DA office - a letter of non prosecution if that is possible. You may need an attorney to help you but it would be worth it. It would be something you want to have no matter if you decide to pursue CCW or not.

If you see an arrest with no disposition you need to challenge the record and get the disposition added. The DA letter would make that easier. Also maybe do a PFEC if you have not bought a gun.

Let us know what happens if you decide to go for it.
OP stated he bought guns since the incident, so that's helpful.

Contacting the DA's office regarding the disposition of the case should be fairly painless, and be helpful in the future.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:44 PM
Calguns Addict

I don't know how they do it in OC but the CCW process normally involves a little FTF time with the deputy or police officer processing your application.

That will be the time to explain to them any concerns they may have if any. Pick your words wisely. No emotions, no embellishments, no half truths.
Old 07-06-2019, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydermatt View Post
Itís not that she ordered. The officer told me that in California if she says anything like she is scared or wants me arrested due to alleged domestic abuse they have to take it seriously and arrest the individual even if there is no evidence.

And are you saying not to do it? You think I will get a denial? I was asking if itís worth a shot or will it have a negative impact? And I canít tell if youíre being a smart a** or? Like stated I just want a honest assessment absent negativity.
The story is too convoluted to be true or is missing major facts. LEO don't just randomly arrest people on some woman's claim.

Apply. It is the only way you will know.
Old 07-06-2019, 1:41 PM

Quote:
The story is too convoluted to be true or is missing major facts. LEO don't just randomly arrest people on some woman's claim.

this is the correct answer. worst case they say no, they usually tell you why you were denied, and then you will know.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:06 AM

Thank you for clarification. It wasnít random I donít remember what he said exactly but there were 2 officers and they were arguing about to arrest or not. And it boiled down to the fact that she said something specific like (she was scared, or she wanted him arrested) I could try and find the paperwork but it doesnít matter it was all boiled down to a specific phrase or wordage she used. But let me assure you you can be arrested in ca on a womanís claim if the other party says the right words and you own firearms. I think he mentioned something like if he didnít do something and I did go ahead after they left and i donít know was a bad human that the back lash he wouldíve had, would've out weight the reasoning behind taking me in as a precautionary step.

And I do think Iíll apply it is worth a shot. I was just wondering about timeline if I should wait a few years? Does it hurt my case down the road if I have a denial on record?

Quote:

Old 07-07-2019, 7:25 AM

My buddy went thru the similar scenario and he’s in NorCal and they denied him. Not sure if OC is different.
Old 07-07-2019, 7:36 AM
Calguns Addict

There’s only one way to find out. Apply.

Old 07-31-2019, 8:22 AM

So arrested, but no conviction...charges were dropped and they still will deny him? A guy I know had an incident many years ago where he ended up shooting someone in self defense. They tried to charge him but could never get any charges to stick, so they dropped it and it went away. He received his CCW permit in OC. He did have to explain what happened though.