Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:51 AM

Default Anyone here get into LE after you turned 40

I'm over 40 but in excellent physical shape. I eat healthy, exercise daily, run, etc. My doctor says I am one of the healthiest people he has seen that is my age.

After high school, I went on to college and got my masters degree. I have had a good career and have built up a business that, thanks to hiring the correct people and delegating the daily operations to them, pretty much runs itself (I put about an hour a day max into the business just to make sure no one is misbehaving).

My entire life, I have wanted to be in law enforcement. A friend of mine just started LASD academy and that has started turning those old gears in my head.

Has anyone here been over 40 when they entered the academy / law enforcement? Since I already have a business and a retirement plan set up, I don't need to rely on my law enforcement retirement. I just want to do it until I physically can't anymore (20 years maybe).

Am I crazy for thinking that I can join law enforcement this late in life? Thoughts?
Old 08-06-2018, 12:37 PM

You are a little crazy for wanting to do it; yes. Especially since you have personal things that could potentially be taken from you in a civil suit. Of course alot of the lawsuit crap is mitigated by a) not being an idiot on the force/following laws and b) trusts, corporations, etc. If it is a sizeable business/income and something you want to keep; I would talk to someone qualified about those things. It is rare for a LEO to have to personally pay for a screw up; but it does sometimes happen. Also, would your business create any potential conflicts of interest (big business in a small town kind of thing) or could you being involved in an OIS negatively impact it?

That being said; the good LEO's in this field think of it more like a calling and if you hear the phone still ringing after all these years maybe it is time to answer it.

Things to consider: How do you feel about working night/overnight shifts, maybe for years? I have a friend who was in law enforcement but had been on days for over a decade. He got another assignment that he thought he wanted on nights; after four months he tapped out due to exhaustion/screwing up family life and is back on days.

What does the family think of it? Your personality is going to change, they cool with that?

Sounds like you have your business nailed down; will the family be okay with your days off sometimes being spent in court/mandatory OT/training/etc?

What kind of LEO work do you want to do? I went to the academy with a few "older" folks (late 30's to early 40's, dont recall exactly). One was going to be a state investigator; I believe she is still working in her field. The others I am not sure; I think five total were in that age range and only four got jobs. Of those four, maybe two are still working LEO work.

Would you be okay being a reserve at an agency that properly trains/uses reserve officers/deputies? That is an option too
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:50 PM

You can do it. There have been guys who have gone through after careers in military and retired from there. So, 40-45. You just need to understand your career is going to be shorter. If you are 45 or 46, you are not going to be doing this job for 20 years. In most agencies, you only need 10 years of service at 55 or 57 (depending on agency) to obtain a pension.

The bigger question is are you prepared to grunt it out. You have a business which 'runs itself'. You are going to be looking at 5-10 years of shift work, working weekends and holidays. Being away from family and a pretty serious change in lifestyle. I have been doing this job 20+ years and am in my mid-forties. It takes a toll on the body and mind. I am glad I am this far into my career at this age and not starting it. Can you do it? Absolutely. Should you do it? Absolutely, but ONLY if you are serious and are going to commit 10+ years at least into this profession. Take it seriously and you can do it!
Old 08-06-2018, 12:52 PM

I'll second the reserve officer option.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:54 PM

Ditto much of what has already been said.

I’m not in my 40s, however, there have been and are plenty of older men and women that start thos career late.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:56 PM

I was 45 when I entered the academy; just a month short of 46 when I started work.

Oldest in my class but there was another 40+ year old in the class too. The majority of the cadets in my class were in their late 20's and early 30's. Ranked 1st in class in academics, Top Gun (1st) in shooting and w/in the top 10 (out of 45) in physical agility.

Worked for 11 years before I took a permanent disability retirement NOT because I was actually "permanently disabled" but because the disability technically disqualified me for my duties as a supervising sergeant and because my dept did/does not have/allow any permanent modified duty assignments.

Best thing that ever happened to me because I was able to retire 10 years early (expected to retire at 65 after 20 years) at 50% of my final income TAX FREE for life (plus COL increases and free medical coverage) and because I make/made more this way than I could have if I worked the full 20 years and got taxed on my retirement income instead.

FWIW, I worked my entire career in a county jail; both old style line and newer style pod jails. It's not for everyone but it's a very easy and safe way to work in law enforcement. You get all of the perks w/very few risks. A very good position for an "older" cadet and don't have the need/desire to do patrol. If you have the personality and patience for it, I highly recommend it.

Last edited by sgt1372; 08-06-2018 at 9:49 PM..
Old 08-07-2018, 2:03 PM

I went into academy at 43 years old. Was running my own construction business but got tired of chasing the dollar. Now I can get as much overtime i want if necessary. My work ethic from running my own business has enabled me to deal well with public and fellow officers and higher brass. My work never comes home me. I can totally disconnect from the job on my days off. Best part of having this career is medical benefits, paid leave, pension, great salary with overtime and privilege of carrying off duty.
Old 08-07-2018, 3:40 PM
Calguns Addict

As I got into my mid 40's on the job, it wasn't keeping up with the younger kids I worked with or the ones I had to on occasion chase or sometimes fight with. It was the everyday bumps and bruises that took longer to heal than they did before. I was in decent shape back then, but those injuries took a toll a hefty one too. Based on what I've seen and experienced no matter how good of shape we keep ourselves in, we can't beat the clock. It does catch us one way or the other.

It can be done, but be aware that your healthy lifestyle will change a bit, your sleep cycle will also change. I've seen more than one person do it successfully.

I would steer you more to a reserve function rather than full time also.
Old 08-07-2018, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten-35 View Post
I'm over 40 but in excellent physical shape. I eat healthy, exercise daily, run, etc. My doctor says I am one of the healthiest people he has seen that is my age.

After high school, I went on to college and got my masters degree. I have had a good career and have built up a business that, thanks to hiring the correct people and delegating the daily operations to them, pretty much runs itself (I put about an hour a day max into the business just to make sure no one is misbehaving).

My entire life, I have wanted to be in law enforcement. A friend of mine just started LASD academy and that has started turning those old gears in my head.

Has anyone here been over 40 when they entered the academy / law enforcement? Since I already have a business and a retirement plan set up, I don't need to rely on my law enforcement retirement. I just want to do it until I physically can't anymore (20 years maybe).

Am I crazy for thinking that I can join law enforcement this late in life? Thoughts?
I would agree with most on the reserve side, especially if you have a very good career. Like most have said, your schedule can be very erratic, and might take a toll on your family life. I will say this: if you chose to do this job after 40, I commend you. I am at the tail end of my career, and those aches and pains I didn't feel when I started at 25 I really feel now at 45. The arthitus in my knees suck, especially in my repaired ACL
Old 08-07-2018, 8:30 PM

After 32+ years and retired for 6, I still have pain on my right hip from that dam thick note book. The ACL has been good since surgery.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:11 PM

Just to piggy back onto everyone else's comments above - make sure you know what you're getting yourself into (all aspects of the job - full time or reserves) and for whom you'll be working (not all agencies are created equal - some are led by downright fuc&ing stupid/inept upper and middle management). If I were independently wealthy (didn't have to count on my current paycheck and retirement benefits), I'd be looking to do what I currently do for another agency, either part time or as a reserve, and preferably outside of CA (which is kinda what my plan is for retirement)…

Btw, is your buddy in class 432 or 433 or?

Last edited by Samuelx; 08-07-2018 at 11:13 PM..
Old 08-28-2018, 8:51 PM

Do it.

Make sure you LLC your company before joining any department.

Follow your dreams.
Old 08-28-2018, 9:04 PM

I'm in my early 40's, and after almost 20 years of this my back is whack. You may not have 20 years in this career because you are older. But consider you may go out limping in a couple years or in your 50's. This is a young man's game. But 40's is the new 30's so what do I know.

I get you want have this to do on your bucket list so you might as well since in all likelihood no one here will change your mind. Keep in mind with the current political climate and the way people view LEO's has made the job alot more difficult. That nest egg you have stored away might not be there if you get sued if you get in an OIS. Even if it was justified.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:23 AM

I know someone who went to the academy after 50. SHE kincked many youngsters' butt.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member

I can't speak to what it would be like to start out at 40, as I started out in a jail at 19. I can say I've taught at an academy part time for the last 5 years and a lot of the older cadets have great attitudes and no personal life drama. they're focused and excel in the academy. Just the basic bumps and bruises of the academy life takes their toll on some of them though, so just be ready for that.
Old 08-29-2018, 9:33 PM

I don't think the academy itself will be the biggest issue for someone getting into this gig late; it's the years of work afterwards.
Stay classy, CGF and Calguns.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:02 PM

What about sheriffs search and rescue, younknow the guys on quads and horses that go rescue people that get lost?