Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > L.A. Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2018, 3:05 PM

Default looking for my first gun and a local shop

located in the glendale/pasadena area and looking to buy my first gun(s)
i was hoping to get used with the assumption that i'd probably move on from these. i've had friends and family take me shooting so i've managed to handle a bunch of different types and calibers. i imagine starting a .22 handgun and maybe a bolt action rifle, but unsure what caliber i want. .22 rifles just don't feel like i'm shooting anything tbh.

i'm open to buying used guns, but prices don't seem to be that far off from retail and honestly, i wouldn't' know what to look for in a used gun anyway. i'd have to rely on the stores to check things over for me. been eyeing a buckmark contour and they don't seem to pop up used.

in any case, i only know of turners and burbank guns. where else should i check out?
Old 07-12-2018, 5:11 PM

Burbank ammo and guns is a great place. Good prices, good customer service. Get a 9mm handgun.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2018, 5:16 PM
Multi-Tool
CGN Contributor

Unless you don’t mind spending the extra money to have more guns, rent quite a few first before buying to find out what you like.

Buckmark is a great choice for a semi auto 22.
Old 07-12-2018, 6:07 PM

thanks

purchasing question:
i can find msrp, and online prices for (whatever). but how realistic are those prices to local shops and what i should reasonably expect to pay?
for example, that buckmark contour i mentioned is 550 msrp
turners lists it at 520
is that a realistic price or am i foolish for going to the best buy of gun stores?

also, is it cool to ask prices over the phone? seems like a reasonable question in just about any other retail situation, but i don't want to step on any toes. i don't know any of the unspoken rules and whatnot, and people just seem really sensitive when it comes to guns
Old 07-12-2018, 6:14 PM

also, what's the deal with angeles armory up at the angeles range? i recall walking by it but i don't know if it's a store or gunsmith place or what. seems like an odd location for a retail store, but then i see they have ads up on their facebook page.. huh??
Old 07-12-2018, 11:52 PM
Multi-Tool
CGN Contributor

Turner’s sale prices are reasonable, but often a bit higher than if you search around.

Depends on how much your time and travel is worth to you for a slightly better deal.

The time it takes to go through all of the Turner’s paperwork to buy a gun is not worth it to me if I can find a similar deal any place else somewhat nearby.

Last edited by Garv; 07-12-2018 at 11:54 PM..
Old 07-13-2018, 8:21 AM

If you wanted to come down the 110 I would be happy to set you up with a good pistol. I have plenty that I own personally that I can demo/sell/show you. And I can order something new if I didn’t have it on hand.
Old 07-13-2018, 8:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Next Friday is the calguns shoot at the Burbank Firing Line, 7-10 pm. Come by, you'll get to try out other folk's guns that have been much better cared for than "range beaters" so you'll get a better feel for how they should operate.

Also, Guns Direct in Burbank is the best gun store in the area. Great prices, customer service is exemplary, and the staff is extremely knowledgeable. Burbank Guns & Ammo is down the street, and Gun World is down the same street in the other direction.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:04 PM

Best thing to do is hit up ranges and start renting. You must bring someone with you if you want to rent. Get your FSC (firearm safety certificate) done as soon as possible. Most gun stores will have the tests available.

Unless Turner's is running a special, you can find better prices online. However, price really isn't an issue for guns most of the time; the price is usually the price. New guns usually don't have any kind of significant discount.
Turner's is good to shop around if you have no idea what you want. From my experience, they don't pressure you to buy too hard and they are knowledgeable enough to demo the gun and explain its features. I mainly go to FFLs just for transfers and do my shopping online.
9mm is King right now, you are most likely going to get one. But keep your mind open, you should shoot whatever caliber/gun you can control and shoot well.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:56 AM
I have 1 Gunz
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekkthree;
also, what's the deal with angeles armory up at the angeles range? i recall walking by it but i don't know if it's a store or gunsmith place or what. seems like an odd location for a retail store, but then i see they have ads up on their facebook page.. huh??

I’ve had good experiences with Angeles Armory. Prices are competitive. Not a large retail space but I believe they can order.

Calguns shoot at the Burbank Firing Line would be good exposure. The range also has rentals available if you have a companion. Decent selection but I haven’t rented their firearms in well over a few years so I can’t speak as to their condition.

Best of luck in your search.
Old 07-25-2018, 8:34 AM

Yes, Nabil, the owner of Angeles Armory, can order just about anything legal for you. If it needs to have a mag-lock or featureless parts added to make it legal, he can order and install those parts before it is transferred to you (a service many high-volume shops like Turner's won't do). He will also accept transfers for items you may have "won" in an online auction or ordered out-of-state. I'd say a large proportion of his business is handling custom orders as he has perhaps a few dozen firearms for sale at a time (that I can see, not incl what may be in a safe).

Because he isn't a large volume dealer, if you are looking for something fairly common (Glock, for example), he may or may not be able to do better than other local shops. I ordered a Glock 19 through him. His price was a few dollars above the best price I could find locally (by about $30) and he quickly matched it. So I'm pretty sure he didn't make much at all on that sale. I also bought a Beretta 92 he had in his window and the price was fair; at most it was perhaps about $25 above a Turner's sale. Not enough to justify going to Turners and waiting in line for up to an hour, plus an extra 15 minutes each trip to do paperwork and wait again for different "approvals". I'm up at Angeles range at the very least every other week, so it is no trouble for me to drop by and complete the transaction.

So far good experiences with A.A.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. ..."
--Theodore Roosevelt, "The Strenuous Life," April 10, 1899

Last edited by RCxRC; 07-25-2018 at 8:36 AM..
Old 08-28-2018, 10:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Gun Runners in Duarte

Gun Runners- like most shops- service can vary

Prices were good in the past

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson