Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 11-20-2013, 2:39 PM
Veteran Member

Default Anyone here attend Butte's academy?

I'd like to hear about your experience at Butte. I have a slot in Butte's academy, and I personally don't know anyone who has been through this academy. Just curious.
Old 11-21-2013, 6:07 AM

I did, but my experience 28 years ago probably won't help you much. lol.
The one thing I remember is be careful in the bars in Chico, lot of college kids that don't like cops.
Old 11-21-2013, 7:34 PM

Are you going to the fish and wildlife or basic academy?
Old 11-21-2013, 7:37 PM
Veteran Member

Basic POST academy.
Old 11-21-2013, 8:08 PM
Veteran/Senior Member
CGN Contributor

I went through the Post back in 2005. If you are X military, you will have a leg up. The staff is quick to key in on ex-military and set them up as first squad leaders.
Butte college is pretty far out there depending on where you are coming from, It took me 1.5 hours to drive from Redding. If you are coming from a distance it is best to either find a room to rent or hook up with a fellow class mate that lives nearby and sleep on his couch.
Our class started with 48 students and graduated 25 as I remember.
Mostly a bunch of medically retired CHP and Sheriff instructors, Some ok.. Some A-Holes.
I found the testing easy as long as you study, You must be in good physical condition and be able to Jog without problems.
The Accademy is attached to a civilian college so you will be mixing in with the regular riff raff that attends California schools in the common areas.

Some guys tried to still work while attending the accedemy, But almost all dropped out or failed.

That's about all that comes to mind...
Old 11-21-2013, 9:06 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

There's a really affordable mobile home park directly across the road from the college. Good way to save a lot of money and get a lot more sleep than the folks that live in Chico.
Old 11-22-2013, 6:15 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks. My housing is going to be covered by the dept I got hired with which is a blessing. I'm not sure yet where I will be staying.
Old 11-22-2013, 7:20 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Even so, I'd recommend staying as close to campus as possible. Extra sleep, if you forget something you ($ saver), and less temptation to go to Chico and get yourself in trouble.

Just out of curiosity, how old are ya and where are you moving from?

It's a good academy. If you get a chance, hop in the car on the EVOC course with Crosswhite. He's amazing behind the wheel and will definitely have your butthole sucking seat cushions.
Old 11-22-2013, 8:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
Even so, I'd recommend staying as close to campus as possible. Extra sleep, if you forget something you ($ saver), and less temptation to go to Chico and get yourself in trouble.

Just out of curiosity, how old are ya and where are you moving from?

It's a good academy. If you get a chance, hop in the car on the EVOC course with Crosswhite. He's amazing behind the wheel and will definitely have your butthole sucking seat cushions.

Yeah hopefully they put me close. I'm 22, I'll be turning 23 the second week of academy lol. Crosswhite, I'll keep that in mind.

Last edited by ChrisO; 11-22-2013 at 10:32 AM..
Old 11-22-2013, 9:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
If you get a chance, hop in the car on the EVOC course with Crosswhite. He's amazing behind the wheel and will definitely have your butthole sucking seat cushions
Is he still around, I thought he'd be dead by now.

I attended the EVOC course up there...maybe 10 years ago...I didn't even know a full-sized American car could be cornered without brakes or how much more brutal you had to be with them than European cars. Great course
Old 11-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmepiphany View Post
Is he still around, I thought he'd be dead by now.

I attended the EVOC course up there...maybe 10 years ago...I didn't even know a full-sized American car could be cornered without brakes or how much more brutal you had to be with them than European cars. Great course
I was out there watching him show new recruits how to do 360's on the wet skid pan at about a million miles an hour while chain smoking just a year and a half ago. I hope he's still around! Cool old dude.
Old 11-22-2013, 1:36 PM
Veteran Member

I have a buddy who did his POST there about a year ago. He's not a Calgunner though. If you want more information I can see if he would be willing to speak to you. PM if you're interested.
Old 01-06-2014, 8:22 PM

So how did day one go?
Old 01-20-2014, 8:30 AM

Any comments on the firearm part of the academy? I got my CCW a year or so ago and the instructor here in Chico said that with your CCW you are eligible to attend the firearm sessions (2-3 days I believe?)at Butte College. Would a civilian be ok doing this or would they treat you like dukie since you were part of the academy?