Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 06-04-2013, 7:11 PM

Default ...

Last edited by meeestirg; 12-29-2013 at 1:20 PM..
Old 06-04-2013, 7:16 PM

No! What was the outcome of the call you made?
Old 06-04-2013, 7:18 PM
Senior Member Xtraordinar
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeestirg View Post
i used the non-emergency line to call the cops on a guy walking his baby down the street.

the baby wasn't old enough to walk or talk. the baby was being held in his left arm and held about face level with the man. in the other hand he had a cigarette and smoking it. i don't have kids or anything but i was just concerned for the baby's health.

who should i have called?

thanks for your input.
Not your business how he chooses to raise his child. Bad call IMO

If he is walking down the street next week and sees you taking your range bag to the house, should he call the cops and say he sees a guy that may have a gun?

NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/PPIH/PPOH Instructor | NRA Certified RSO | NRA Life Member | GSSF Life Time Member | Surefire Low Light Instructor | Glock Certified Armorer | Utah CCW Instructor | Nevada CCW Instructor
Old 06-04-2013, 7:22 PM

Quote:
i used the non-emergency line to call the cops on a guy walking his baby down the street.

the baby wasn't old enough to walk or talk. the baby was being held in his left arm and held about face level with the man. in the other hand he had a cigarette and smoking it. i don't have kids or anything but i was just concerned for the baby's health.

thanks for your input.
Why would you call the cops on someone for that? what's wrong with mind your own dang buisiness.
Old 06-04-2013, 7:26 PM

well said D fence.
Old 06-04-2013, 7:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Unless that kid was in danger I would have just minded my own business.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."
~Thomas Jefferson

All I have in this world is my ball$ and my word, and I don't break them for no one.
~Scarface
Old 06-04-2013, 7:34 PM

That's a no call IMO. However, it is illegal to smoke in a car with a child.
Old 06-04-2013, 7:45 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutterduckhunter View Post
Lucky for him he was walking down the street smoking then.

NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/PPIH/PPOH Instructor | NRA Certified RSO | NRA Life Member | GSSF Life Time Member | Surefire Low Light Instructor | Glock Certified Armorer | Utah CCW Instructor | Nevada CCW Instructor
Old 06-04-2013, 7:52 PM

What a waste of time. Unfortunately it's not illegal to do stupid stuff with a kid around. I did call the cops once on a neighbor in an apartment building years back that invited me in to look at stuff to buy and the room was filled with marijuana smoke and there was a toddler in a playpen in the room.
Old 06-04-2013, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutterduckhunter View Post
Seriously? I don't smoke but I've never heard of this law.
Old 06-04-2013, 8:06 PM

Quote:

thanks for your input.
You need therapy. Get a grip.
Old 06-04-2013, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Bay Guy View Post
Seriously? I don't smoke but I've never heard of this law.
118948 H&S
Old 06-04-2013, 8:41 PM

I'm surprised here, I developed asthma because my POS dad was too damn lazy to not smoke around me as a child. Don't you prolife guys think a kid has a right to not grow up with screwed up lungs because of sh*tty parents?
Old 06-04-2013, 8:43 PM

While I think it's bad idea for someone to smoke around a child and yes, that's not exactly good parenting ... but you over reacted. What he chooses is his own business. He wasn't breaking any laws.

I hate the fact the the Gov is becoming a nanny state. Your reaction to this man and you thinking you need to police him is absolutely ridiculous and in the same vein as a nanny state. Next time, MYOB.

If you called the police for something like this, how often do you call the police to report other things you see?
Want To Buy/Sell/Trade

WTB a 1911 10mm, Prefer. Springfield TRP 5" or 6"

WTT Colt 1911 for a 10mm

WTS Sig 1911 Magwell Grips
Old 06-04-2013, 8:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Fail!
Old 06-04-2013, 9:29 PM

You can call for whatever the heck you want do, doesn't mean cops will get dispatched. Even if they do, they would probably read the call and determine it isn't a police matter. You'd get more results telling the guy he is a deadbeat for blowing smoke in his kids face.

Bottom line.. waste of time. But if it helps you sleep at night then go ahead and call for whatever you want.
Old 06-04-2013, 9:35 PM

We should all do what we feel is right, regardless of whether it is right or wrong, it is our own conscious that we have to live with.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:08 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantedamean View Post
I'm surprised here, I developed asthma because my POS dad was too damn lazy to not smoke around me as a child. Don't you prolife guys think a kid has a right to not grow up with screwed up lungs because of sh*tty parents?
Agreed, but where does one draw the line of who can tell you what and how to live your life, raise your kids or what you can and can't own.

Nobody wants the government to be able to tell us how many rounds our magazines can hold or what type of weapons we can own, but they are saying its to protect the children that are the helpless victims. We call bull on that right? Why doesn't the same thought process apply here?

His kid, his choice, not our business. As it maybe morally wrong, his morals may different than yours. Who are we to tell him his way is wrong because it's not our way?

Personally I think he's a pos for subjecting his kid to that.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFence View Post
Lucky for him he was walking down the street smoking then.
Even then it'd have to be observed first hand.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:53 PM

bad call.

dude could be a fantastic parent with just a smoking problem so he's trying to do it outdoors if anything.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

At least he wasn't letting his kid do this:
http://fatkidatcamp.com/wp-content/u...12/smoking.jpg
Old 06-05-2013, 1:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by subrvin View Post
We should all do what we feel is right, regardless of whether it is right or wrong, it is our own conscious that we have to live with.
I agree. The OP did what he felt what was right. I have called CPS on people with signs begging for food for their kids they have sitting out in the sun.
Old 06-05-2013, 1:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by subrvin View Post
I agree. The OP did what he felt what was right. I have called CPS on people with signs begging for food for their kids they have sitting out in the sun.

Children face a greater risk than adults of the negative effects of secondhand smoke. When the air is tainted with cigarette smoke, young, developing lungs receive a higher concentration of inhaled toxins than do older lungs because a child's breathing rate is faster than that of adults. Adults breathe in and out approximately 14 to 18 times a minute, and newborns can breathe as many as 60 times a minute. Up until a child is about 5 years old, the respiratory rate is quite fast.

Young children have little control over their surroundings. Babies can't move to another room because the air is smoky. They depend on the adults in their lives to make sure their environment is safe.

Scientists have uncovered numerous risks associated with secondhand smoke for young children and the research continues. To date, there are plenty of sobering facts about how this toxic air damages the health of our kids.
Old 06-05-2013, 1:38 AM

Well maybe there should be a law to prevent such acts. Exposing a child to cigarette smoke is obviously a health hazard, IMO a form of child abuse. Even if he has a smoking problem, you need to put your kids needs before your own, ESPECIALLY in this situation. Wouldn't be a bad idea if he quit smoking all together.

As far as calling the pd, well at least you made an effort to intervein with good intentions for that child.

You can't compare that to calling the cops and telling them some one has a gun on them, come on....

Ultimately there probably isn't a law against what this father is doing, but I still think op trying to help doesn't mean it's a fail.

Your okay in my book OP!

Maybe if some of you had kids you would be better able to understand or empathize...
Old 06-05-2013, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantedamean View Post
Same here. Consider though that making another to fix this has resulted in our Nanny state. It is for the children. What about exposure to the smoke resulting from exploding gunpowder? That toxic mix is not good for children's lungs. Some would argue that there is no safe lead exposure level for children. Firing lead bullets always results in vaporized lead particles.

Be careful what you ask because that logic can be used to regulate your behavior and choices.

Not all parents are the greatest. We do need to protect kids from the worst parents. But if the parent is not engaging in an illegal behavior and the child is not in an immediate danger, mind your own business. If you feel you have to make a report, call CPS. In most places, LE is too busy with real life threatening emergencies that by the time an officer is available to make contact, the person is long gone.
Old 06-05-2013, 6:34 AM
Veteran Member

I carried mine like that all the time
BUT
I used this! Never got hassled by the PoPo once.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFence View Post
Agreed, but where does one draw the line of who can tell you what and how to live your life, raise your kids or what you can and can't own.

Nobody wants the government to be able to tell us how many rounds our magazines can hold or what type of weapons we can own, but they are saying its to protect the children that are the helpless victims. We call bull on that right? Why doesn't the same thought process apply here?

His kid, his choice, not our business. As it maybe morally wrong, his morals may different than yours. Who are we to tell him his way is wrong because it's not our way?

Personally I think he's a pos for subjecting his kid to that.
Guns and cigarette smoke are completely different, you can't get a black lung from simply sitting next to a gun and you can't get a hole in your chest from standing in the wrong spot while someone is smoking.

I suppose all the people saying mind your own business would say the same if a child gets a contact high from pot? It's his kid after all, he should be able to raise them however he wants.

I hate overbearing government as much as anyone, but even a broken clock is right twice a day. There are situations where laws are not all ways a bad thing.

Edit: wow never make a post and talk to someone at the same time, they come out horribly incoherent lol.

Last edited by Dantedamean; 06-05-2013 at 10:56 AM..
Old 06-05-2013, 11:42 AM

Sun exposure can lead to skin cancer. Should we call the cops every time we see a parent outside with their children? Don't get me wrong, I think the guy is wrong for exposing his kid to the smoke but ultimately it isn't a crime and I don't want the government telling us what to do anymore than necessary.
Old 06-05-2013, 1:58 PM

Are you serious? Stay in your lane and worry about you. Its not illegal to be a crappy parent. Sounds like having smoke blown is his face is the least of that kids problems.
Old 06-05-2013, 2:06 PM

Quote:

thanks for your input.
You called the police because the guy was smoking near his kid?
What is wrong with you?

Reminds me of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwiHR0ts0lQ

Not only isn't it any of your business, it's not any of the police's business; and there's nothing they can do about it. If you accomplished anything, the police will likely ignore calls from your number after this.
Old 06-05-2013, 2:10 PM

I'm not sure why so many "LEO"s are discouraging a concerned citizen from calling the police on a matter the caller might view as questionable. I am aware of a thing I have called "officer's discretion" That means that anyone can call the dispatcher about anything they want. The dispatcher can then determine whether or not an officer should be dispatched. If an officer is dispatched then the officer can determine how to handle the call. I won't ever discourage someone form calling the police if they think something is dangerous or questionable. If dispatched I would check it out (if nothing more pressing is at hand) even if at most I drive by see the guy holding the child and clear the call as "checks ok" without even contacting the subject. No violation, no victims, no further cause for me to even speak to the subject. That's called using my (our) discretion.

Looking for:

Smarty J-06, S-06, 30-30 Lever Gun
Old 06-05-2013, 4:47 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDT72 View Post
I'm not sure why so many "LEO"s are discouraging a concerned citizen from calling the police on a matter the caller might view as questionable.
I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the replies to the OP are not from LEOs.

TinStarSupply@aol.com

The satisfaction of a job well done is to be the one who has done it

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazoE
I don't feel a thing when some cop gets ghosted.
Old 06-05-2013, 5:38 PM
Veteran Member

Only in California...
Old 06-06-2013, 7:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzernie View Post
I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the replies to the OP are not from LEOs.
I agree, hence my "quotes"

Looking for:

Smarty J-06, S-06, 30-30 Lever Gun
Old 06-06-2013, 2:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

NOBODY ..
Old 06-08-2013, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysen View Post
118948 H&S
There's a VC section too, haven't written/stopped it yet, we have to have another violation to stop and issue a cite for the smoking.
Old 06-08-2013, 6:22 AM

If this was a good call due to the health of the child etc. Then one should probably call the cops when they see a parent feeding their overweight child ice cream...right? Smoking around your kids could cause asthma, cancer etc...feeding empty sugary calories, can lead to heart disease, diabetes. Does anybody hang out around the Ice Cream truck calling the police?

Would I smoke around my kid...no. Do I think he is acting poorly...yes. Would I call the cops/CPS...no. Just my .02
Old 06-08-2013, 6:23 AM

oops double post...

Last edited by tjbeck; 06-08-2013 at 6:45 AM..