Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 04-18-2018, 7:56 PM
Veteran Member

Default Youtube Magnetospeed mount...

I made one. Pretty cool. Now all I need to know is if the XFR works on an iPhone X

https://i.imgur.com/1vOikZk.jpg
Old 04-18-2018, 8:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

So where is the u tube video?

Where is the parts list?

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 04-18-2018, 9:04 PM

Looks good
Old 04-19-2018, 4:31 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
So where is the u tube video?

Where is the parts list?
I thought it was common knowledge. Here it is https://youtu.be/ToQAHgDtJfM
Old 04-20-2018, 10:05 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Does it matter if your POI changes with the chrono attached? Why would you care if you are testing velocity?

Remember to dial 1 before 911.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 04-20-2018, 10:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Waster View Post
Does it matter if your POI changes with the chrono attached? Why would you care if you are testing velocity?
I don’t think it matters one bit.

I recently used one to Chrono a Remington 700, just after I had sighted the scope in, and although it changed poi, down about 4” for those who care, it still turned in a sub 1” 5 shot group at 100y. Take it off, poi returns to normal, and now I know my velocity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by repubconserv View Post
Print it out and frame it for all I care
Quote:
Originally Posted by el chivo View Post
I don't need to think at all..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. J Beezy View Post
Unfortunately for you, I have the truth on my side and... I’m definitely better than you at what you make a living from.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Old 04-20-2018, 2:26 PM

Quote:

I think it would matter at distance. If you’re trying to confirm a long range load I’d imagine you wouldn’t want a 4 moa shift at 1000 yards.
Old 04-20-2018, 3:31 PM
Calguns Addict

My magnetospeed shifts poi upward .7mil. I adjust the poi using my turret. It only goes .6mil below the zero stop, so my poi is .1mil high with the chrono attached.

I remove the chrono after I’m done chronoing. I put the turret back on zero for distance shooting. I know this sounds like a lot of work, but it really isn’t if you’re normal.
Old 04-20-2018, 7:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
In some situations, it saves ammo.

When the ladder test is done, you can zero the load at 100, then confirm groups on paper at say 300. You'd be able to do all that with the same 10-15 rounds that you were using to sample for velocity. The normal way would be to shoot rounds for velocity, shoot for zero and shoot groupings at distance.

Also, you can testing consistency of load velocity for different temps and altitude while shooting as normal. Same for seating depth effects on velocity whilst grouping. Test and shoot at the same time. A great option.

Lastly, its a money saving option. Magnetospeed has limited options for mounting the Sporter. This solves mount solves it.

Makes sense?

Last edited by MarikinaMan; 04-21-2018 at 5:26 AM..
Old 04-21-2018, 2:45 AM

Default Youtube Magnetospeed mount...

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-cat View Post
My magnetospeed shifts poi upward .7mil. I adjust the poi using my turret. It only goes .6mil below the zero stop, so my poi is .1mil high with the chrono attached.

I remove the chrono after I’m done chronoing. I put the turret back on zero for distance shooting. I know this sounds like a lot of work, but it really isn’t if you’re normal.

my finding as well when the magneto is on the barrel...always .5mils high but windage is in line with my zero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarikinaMan View Post
In some situations, it saves ammo.

When the ladder test is done, you can zero the load at 100, then confirm groups on paper at say 300. You'd be able to do all that with the same 10-15 rounds that you are using to sample for velocity.

The normal way would be to shoot rounds for velocity, shoot for zero and shoot groupings at distance.

Also, you can keep testing consistency of load velocity for different temps and altitude while shooting as normal. Same for seating depth effects on velocity whilst grouping. Test and shoot at the same time. A great option.

Lastly, it a money saving option. Magnetospeed has limited options for mounting the Sporter. This solves mount solves it.

Makes sense?

very well said...this taught me that when its hot and theres a lot of mirage its more the mirage that caused me to shoot high than the heat causing higher velocities...takes me all of 5 seconds to through the MS on.

Last edited by longrange1; 04-21-2018 at 2:47 AM..
Old 04-21-2018, 3:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post
I don’t think it matters one bit.

I recently used one to Chrono a Remington 700, just after I had sighted the scope in, and although it changed poi, down about 4” for those who care, it still turned in a sub 1” 5 shot group at 100y. Take it off, poi returns to normal, and now I know my velocity.
you have something else going on like changing your posistion or your recoil control to get a 4" shift at 100 yards unless you removed a muzzle brake or something.

I've shot 100's of rounds over my Magnetospeed and never once on my precision rifle have i noticed a poi shift. I aim at a .5" dot on the target and if i'm not cutting the dot I'm within a bullet diameter of being on it with all my rounds stacking in one ragged hole. (.3-.6 MOA depending on how I feel that day) I do my testing I pull the magnetospeed off and shoot another dot on the target and the rounds impact within a bullet diameter or less of the new dot. And i can firmly state the any shift in impact is me and my failing to focus on recoil control. I'm guilty, I sometimes get in a hurry and forget a few of the basics, and I pay for it on target. But as soon as i do my job the with or without the magnetospeed attached the bullets go where they are aimed or they are within one bullet diameter of POA.

FYI my rifle is a Rem 700 5R Stainless .308 24" bbl, in a Manners T2A stock, Timney 510 trigger set to 2#, Running a Burris XTR 5-25x50mm Milrad FFP scope on a Talley 20 moa base in Warne rings sitting on a Elite Iron light bipod and supported at the rear with a Protektor Model leather bag. I shoot Nosler RDF's or Sierra SMK's 175 grain bullets in Peterson brass.

Last edited by kcstott; 04-21-2018 at 3:44 AM..