Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 05-20-2018, 9:54 AM

Default Mac 11 style build questions

At this point I’m lost on the legality of this build. It is my understanding that as long as this is not built using an actual MAC receiver it will not be considered banned by make/mode. So flat spot weld up receivers are good to go (yes?).

I know volreg or DOJ SN will basically be needed at this point, but what steps are needed to be compliant with building in single shot configuration. I’m sure a single shot sled is not enough.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Need to figure out a break-open or slide-open single shot setup for it.
Build it without a magazine well and then add the magazine well later...
Old 05-23-2018, 2:50 AM

To my understanding it needs to be SSE2.0 compliant, which means it must start life as a single shot, dimensionally compliant (10" overall length and 6" barrel). Don't quote me on those exact numbers but I'm pretty sure that's the word.

As long as you weld on a thread protector or grind off the barrel threads it won't be an AW.

I'm in the same boat and it seems pretty achievable, considering it's an "evil gun"

Good luck! Dm me if you have other questions, I've been researching this for years because it's just an iconic gun from my childhood, aka the 90s haha
Old 06-20-2018, 12:39 PM

My experience with Macs is extremely limited but I was looking at a parts kit last night and was thinking of two options. Anyone please feel free to correct me if either sounds wrong:

1.) Like ar15barrels said, build it as you normally would but without a magazine well.

2.) Install a removable block behind the bolt that prevents it from blowing back when fired. Maybe also remove the spring? A round would have to be loaded manually, chambered, then the block reinserted before putting the upper back on. Disassembly of the upper from the action would be necessary to chamber another round. On second thought I don't think this would cut it because you'd actually be building it semi auto, then modifying it to be single shot.

It seems to me like building without a mag well would suffice. Wondering what others might think.