Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 08-23-2013, 1:22 PM

It suddenly crossed my mind, OP, is your wife afraid of the slide? Is she afraid her fingers are going to get caught in it when it snaps back? If this is so, I think gloves are a bad idea, just one more opportunity to snag something.

But if she's flinching away from the slide, she's always going to have trouble and you should show her how to keep (all) her fingers out of the way.
• Don't have children until you're married five years or at least age 30.
• Put 10% of your salary into savings every month no matter how broke you are.
• Don't ever screw around with the IRS.
• Keep a handgun on your bedside table.
• Don't smart-mouth judges, or cops who stop you on the road.

Last edited by BonnieB; 09-19-2013 at 6:15 PM..
Old 09-09-2013, 5:49 PM

Why is she racking the slide. Gun should be loaded. If gun (god help you) goes to slide lock, then a mag change requires either hitting the slide release or a slight rack.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:37 PM

Locked and loaded
Old 09-19-2013, 5:01 AM

The best option is to let her pick out her own pistol. See if she thinks a revolver would be an ok option. My vote is for a .454 revolver though.
Old 09-19-2013, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMT4ME View Post
Why is she racking the slide. Gun should be loaded. If gun (god help you) goes to slide lock, then a mag change requires either hitting the slide release or a slight rack.
Um, you gotta rack the slide each time you reload, I think. Such as when I punch out 150 rounds of .40 caliber on a Tuesday morning. If you don't practice, you might as well use the dang gun as a door stop! It'll be safer.

Of COURSE she has to be able to rack the slide!

Last edited by BonnieB; 09-20-2013 at 5:56 PM..
Old 10-13-2013, 8:02 AM

+1 for Bonnie,
As an instructor we part knowleged to students, we instruct on basic/fundamentals of firearms. Grip, stance, breath, sight picture etc. OP has overlooked how people learn, three types; see it, hear it and do it. Some may use one or all three methods. I am local to sacamento, well folsom to be exact. If you like i can offer some help.
Old 10-13-2013, 8:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Listen to Bonnie
Take her to and Give her the opportunity to do the shopping (not Let her, that seems as he's the boss), forget what you think about calibers, my wife and daughter (of quite small stature) find the 1911 in .45 easier to rack/operate than any other gun I have, as well as having no problem with the recoil, while at the same time hating the recoil of my glock 23 and 30
As to caliber, I know many cops that absolutely swear by their 380 and won't carry anything else off duty, the right ammo makes the diff to them, along with round capacity. The only drawback they ever have on the 380 is accuracy and longer ranges
I'm gonna bet she will probably love a 1911, find a range that has lots of guns for rent, and try them all
Old 10-16-2013, 12:39 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Let's not discount the 22 magnum too much here. It can still be a day ruiner AND also carry 8-10 rounds in a wheel gun.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...
Old 10-23-2013, 7:15 AM

Default Racking

HI- I had the same issue- and as my man is a Ambassador with Front sights- he taught me to do the "push" method- and I do not pull the slide at all- I push with my other hand and this makes it much easier-
I was using a Springfield XD- 9mm and it was very difficult at first- but with practice and time I can now do it very easily. It was suggested to me by a gun shop to buy a "hand exerciser" to strengthen my hands and wrists and that has helped as well.
I also bought a S & W MP 9mm- and it is much easier to rack....
As a final thought- paint the gun PINK- it helps!!
Good Luck!!
Old 11-05-2013, 11:44 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharxbyte View Post
My wife has trouble racking the slide on any 9mm(or 380) that I've had her try. I've heard from numerous people that it is the technique that is wrong, but I've tried to teach her with videos that describe the "correct" way and I cant find what's wrong with her technique.

I'm at a loss. I don't want her carrying anything smaller than a 9mm, and I don't want her carrying a revolver (because of the capacity limitations; 10 rounds is bad enough without cutting it in half) She can shoot my Berretta just fine, and can rack the slide with difficulty, but finds it too heavy and bulky for her taste. The smaller guns are even harder to rack, and come with more recoil.

Any tips? Anyone in Sacramento area want to take her shooting and let her try out some different 9mm's? (I can provide her with ammo if your guns don't mind steel cases)

Thanks for your help!
Stay away from Sar K2s. You only get a half inch of slide to grab on to.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...
Old 11-05-2013, 1:02 PM

Like others have said, It's all about technique.
My wife is tiny and had trouble working the slide on ALL pistols until we worked on her technique.
She now runs and carries an XD-S and has no problems with any of our pistols.
Old 11-05-2013, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saym14 View Post
a six shot revolver is better than a 15 round gun that she cant operate.
+1
If she can't operate it, she shouldn't be carrying it
Old 11-05-2013, 1:29 PM

I wonder who knows how many have been killed with one .22 shot to the head?
Anyway, push is usually easier, and is no more strength than required for various other tasks.
She should make her own decisions as to purchase, definitely.
I think practice is what is needed, with a good technique.
Remember those videos about the 100 pound woman who picks the Harley up after it falls over?
It's technique.
The only thing I know is, don't put the finger into the ejection port.
dc
Old 11-11-2013, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David13 View Post
I wonder who knows how many have been killed with one .22 shot to the head?
Anyway, push is usually easier, and is no more strength than required for various other tasks.
She should make her own decisions as to purchase, definitely.
I think practice is what is needed, with a good technique.
Remember those videos about the 100 pound woman who picks the Harley up after it falls over?
It's technique.
The only thing I know is, don't put the finger into the ejection port.
dc
In passing and somewhat OT, it IS all about technique. Back when, when I weighed about 128 pounds, I was in the Harley dealership one day with a friend. It was kinda slow, so at my request, the salesman laid some bikes and let me pick 'em up. I topped out at the 1250 cc, about 650 pounds. I could do it, but I was at my limit, my feet were slipping on the linoleum. (It's all about leverage. )Why would I do that? In case I was ever out in the boonies and had to pick a bike up on my own. Ya gotta know where your limits really are....

Last edited by BonnieB; 11-11-2013 at 2:03 PM..
Old 11-11-2013, 2:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I understand that revolvers are reliable and simple. I don't like the limited capacity. You guys are completely ignoring the multiple attacker argument
Really? Are we in fantasy land now? I will assume while she is carrying a handgun, she will also be on the phone calling/or have called 911. Don't let your paranoia interfere with your wife's safety. Get her a revolver and training....
Old 11-11-2013, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickel plate View Post
A .380+P Semi-auto would be worth looking at.
id like to second this notion. My Dad was SWAT for 25+ years, and now his EDC is a .380, not a bad little caliber.

hell, i believe most deaths in the U.S. are from .22lr
Old 11-12-2013, 11:00 AM

One option, that no one has mentioned is the "Brass Stacker, Slide Pull"

http://brassstacker.com/glock/Glock-...ndle-G-SP.html

Brass Stacker also makes it for XD as well. I known that they are working on designs for other pistols.

The slide pull, looks "funky," but it works, does not mar the finish, and can be removed. Most holsters will still function. I also recommend the slide pull for people with arthritis as well.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
You guys are completely ignoring the multiple attacker argument
Anything else we should consider? Is shooting underwater a possibility?

I bet she could overhand rack with practice (it tightens the grip, the reverse of slingshot)
Old 11-25-2013, 10:11 PM

Really, what Bonnie said.

I post this for the other lurking newbie ladies, not necessarily for the OP.

I'm a gal. Started with a .380 because it was 'available'. Tough to manipulate because it IS small. A goodhearted guy showed me how to 'PUSH' to rack. A few goodhearted guys offered lots of try-it-out time on different models.
I said - I like this about this and that about that. Semi-auto and wheels. Tried rental guns at the range. Nothing really spoke to me.

Another clear head said - make a list of features you like, then shop for something that has the most of what you like. Duh. What an epiphany.
My partner had the sense to stay OUT of this process.

I got a 9mm single stack. It fits my hand, my carry style, has enough rounds and caliber that no one gives me s*** at the range. But maybe that's cuz I shoot it enough to be very accurate. . (Ladysmith 3913) It got easier to slide as it broke in, more ammo shot, easier to use, my better technique.

I take it as important to mentor any other ladies who express any shooting interest. There are two types of 'helpers', IME, the one who wants me to do things 'their way' since they know best, versus the one who listens to what motivates me and points me to making my own informed decision.

Thanks to the many CalGunners who have posted informational, stable, reference materials for the newcomers.

Last edited by CindyASK; 11-25-2013 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: included more info
Old 11-25-2013, 10:24 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligirl2 View Post
HI- I had the same issue- and as my man is a Ambassador with Front sights- he taught me to do the "push" method- and I do not pull the slide at all- I push with my other hand and this makes it much easier-
I was using a Springfield XD- 9mm and it was very difficult at first- but with practice and time I can now do it very easily. It was suggested to me by a gun shop to buy a "hand exerciser" to strengthen my hands and wrists and that has helped as well.
I also bought a S & W MP 9mm- and it is much easier to rack....
As a final thought- paint the gun PINK- it helps!!
Good Luck!!
^THIS^
When I seriously sprained my wrist I switched to the punch through. Turn sideways to the pistol keeping the barrel pointed in the safe direction, hold with left and literally punch through to rack, forcing the left to slip off. This also prevents riding the slide forward and keeps the firearm close to my center for more control/strength. With light work out by constantly racking she should get used to it and develop those muscles. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose Nuggets View Post
5 guys, hot damn thats some good eat'n.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyromensch View Post
damn, i duped my own thread...first time i did a poll
Old 11-26-2013, 12:20 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarry scarney View Post
One option, that no one has mentioned is the "Brass Stacker, Slide Pull"

http://brassstacker.com/glock/Glock-...ndle-G-SP.html

Brass Stacker also makes it for XD as well. I known that they are working on designs for other pistols.

The slide pull, looks "funky," but it works, does not mar the finish, and can be removed. Most holsters will still function. I also recommend the slide pull for people with arthritis as well.
Now that is interesting. Just ordered one; we'll see how my wife likes it! Thanks.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:22 AM

she needs to get in realistic shape. I'm sorry but if you cant rack the slide on a G17 you need to do some basic working out. and I dont mean hours on a treadmill.
Old 11-26-2013, 8:24 AM
Cat-in-a Box/NRA Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyASK;12846611.......There [B
are two types of 'helpers', IME, the one who wants me to do things 'their way' since they know best, versus the one who listens to what motivates me and points me to making my own informed decision.[/B]
Thanks to the many CalGunners who have posted informational, stable, reference materials for the newcomers.

QFT!!!!!
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shootist View Post
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 11-26-2013, 9:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_tap View Post
she needs to get in realistic shape. I'm sorry but if you cant rack the slide on a G17 you need to do some basic working out. and I dont mean hours on a treadmill.
Please tell that to your wife/SO and get back to us on how well it was received.

"If I had known I was going to live so long, I would have taken better care of myself."

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Old 11-26-2013, 9:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Please tell that to your wife/SO and get back to us on how well it was received.

"If I had known I was going to live so long, I would have taken better care of myself."
my wife carries a g19 and has no problem moving the slide.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:28 AM
C3 Leader

Yes OP, I hope your wife finds what is comfortable for her, and I'm glad that she's even of the mindset to go shooting. It's always a bit scary when things are new and adjustments need to be made. I say that's a lot of positive action on her part right there!

Everyone else, have a Happy Thanksgiving

If you live in Solano County, please join us at:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/group.php?groupid=12

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Old 11-26-2013, 6:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_tap View Post
my wife carries a g19 and has no problem moving the slide.
Neither my wife nor I carry, as Contra Costa doesn't co-operate, and she cannot rack the slide of a glock. Life is.

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 11-30-2013, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Brass Stacker, Slide Pull came yesterday. Quick to install; wife can rack the slide.

Now, if I can get her to stop being gentle with the guns (and car doors - close the darn thing!) ...

- Marcus Aurelius

Old 11-30-2013, 2:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
My wife has trouble racking the slide on any 9mm(or 380) that I've had her try. I've heard from numerous people that it is the technique that is wrong, but I've tried to teach her with videos that describe the "correct" way and I cant find what's wrong with her technique.

I'm at a loss. I don't want her carrying anything smaller than a 9mm, and I don't want her carrying a revolver (because of the capacity limitations; 10 rounds is bad enough without cutting it in half) She can shoot my Berretta just fine, and can rack the slide with difficulty, but finds it too heavy and bulky for her taste. The smaller guns are even harder to rack, and come with more recoil.

Any tips? Anyone in Sacramento area want to take her shooting and let her try out some different 9mm's? (I can provide her with ammo if your guns don't mind steel cases)

Thanks for your help!
Why would you need 10 rounds for a matter of conversation?
Old 11-30-2013, 2:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoMan View Post
The best option is to let her pick out her own pistol. See if she thinks a revolver would be an ok option. My vote is for a .454 revolver though.
Heck no I pick out my wife's panties and bras there is no way I would let her pick out her own gun!!!.
Old 11-30-2013, 3:17 PM

She can rack 9mm slides just fine assuming she dosent have some kind of physical handicap. Tell her she's lying if she says she can't do it.
Old 11-30-2013, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentactic View Post
......... Tell her she's lying if she says she can't do it.
[QUOTE=Librarian;12849041]Please tell that to your wife/SO and get back to us on how well it was received. QUOTE]

I think Librarian's response to another poster above is very apt right here and right now...........
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Quote:
Just use it for an excuse to keep buying "her" guns till you find the right one...good way to check off your wanted to buy list with the idea of finding her the one she wants of course :D
Old 11-30-2013, 5:27 PM

Librarian

Glad to hear the slide pull works for her. Glad to be of assistance. I ought to buy stock in that company!

Stay safe out there
Old 11-30-2013, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentactic View Post
Tell her she's him he'slying if she he says she he can't do it.
Reread the above and imagine it was directed at you about replacing a broken piston in your car's engine (assuming you are not a mechanic and know nothing about engines).

With proper help from the right instructor, you can learn. You will not learn from someone who is yelling and screaming my way or the highway.

Some people, both men and women, find racking slides to be difficult. Given time, instruction by patient, knowledgable instructors, and practice, they can learn if they have the desire to want to learn. They loose the desire when others tell them they have to do because this is the gun I want you to use. They gain the desire when they decide this is the gun I want and I will figure a way to learn to use it properly.

When I purchased my G17, I could not rack the slide due to muscle weakness and nerve damage resulting from a stroke. I still have the stroke related issues but I did work on strengthening the muscles a little more and practiced over and over. I also have arthritis. I can now rack it quickly. Of course, to all the know-it-alls at the range, I do it wrong. These are the same DB that have no problem picking up my firearms without first asking but go nuts if I do the same to their firearms.
Old 11-30-2013, 6:01 PM
Banned

Solution: Revolver.

You're welcome.
Old 11-30-2013, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Brass Stacker, Slide Pull came yesterday. Quick to install; wife can rack the slide.

Now, if I can get her to stop being gentle with the guns (and car doors - close the darn thing!) ...
Well, I will order one now. It looks like it would be easier on arthritic hands and it will only get worse.

I wish I could get my wife to stop releasing the gas filler lock on my truck when she drives it. It is in the same place as the brake release in her truck. I gave up some time ago because it was not going to happen. She has put up with me for over 30 years so I can live with that.
Old 11-30-2013, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armando de la Guerra View Post
Solution: Revolver.

You're welcome.
Solution, wife chooses the gun she wants.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiah12 View Post
Solution, wife chooses the gun she wants.

amen, brother, amen!
Quote:
Old 12-01-2013, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
We're hoping she's not trying to rack using her thumb and index finger from behind the slide, pinky down. Won't work. Also, I can't see why the size of the caliber is going to make a difference in how the slide operates....

First I must say that racking a slide is about leverage, not strength. It she isn't pulling against some rigid surface ( a locked elbow and wrist, or elbow braced on ribs if absolutely necessary.) If she's holding it too far away from her body, it won't work. When I got my first Glock, I couldn't rack it five times in a row either or work the slide release. Was almost in tears from frustration. I had to practice (dry fire with snap caps) on the sofa for a week and build up some muscle in the right places. I still remove the slide kinda funny, but it comes off. Hands that type for a living have great flexibility and stamina but not so much strength.

When I rack semi automatics, I grip the slide between the base of my palm and my finger tips. In order to do this, I need the gun at a 45 degree angle to my body, which means I turn slightly to the right, to keep the muzzle down range. When I'm tired, I might brace my right elbow to my body for extra stability and leverage. It may not look perfect but you do what you have to do, to get the job done. And they rack every single time and damned quickly. I do it this way not because I'm so dainty and girly, but because I'm older than God and my hands and wrists are cranky.

Please, please stop "getting" her a gun. Let her choose one she can comfortably operate. You can be in the car listening to the ball game while she does this. The best place to do that is River City Gun Exchange, they have about every handgun around and they're real good about letting potential buyers handle them. Don't go there on a Tuesday morning or a Saturday, they're mobbed. I like 2 pm on Thursdays and it's worth taking an afternoon off. It's really best if she tries everything that looks interesting, selects a gun with the help of a competent salesperson and pays for it her own very self. They're mostly ex-cops there, they like women shooters and they won't sell her something that isn't right. She does this all by herself. It creates a lot of ownership and pride in her selection. And if she's anything like me, she'd die before saying she bought something she really couldn't handle.

If she won't do it alone, buy me lunch or coffee and I'll go with her. You can give final approval just before the credit cards come out.

The best solution is to put here with a competent instructor and an assortment of available guns, who can diagnose and correct the situation. PM me and I can tell you some who sells instruction time in 2 hour increments for a very reasonable price. You can both have a lesson once the racking problem is solved. Again, you sit in the car and listen to the ball game while the racking diagnosis is going on. Really.

PM me with some choices of weekend mornings at Sac Valley and I'll look at what she's doing, look at the guns, try to rack 'em myself and if all else fails, I can rustle up an instructor for a 15 minute freebie.
Thank you , Bonnie.

Its true enough, a lot of men just simply 'don't get it'

These men tend to be reasonably knowledgeable about the 'striking power' of various pistol calibers, in terms of 'threat neutralisation' and mag capacities lest one face multiple assailants.

The thing they tend to overlook is practical comfort level with a handgun, and the fact that the person herself is 'the weapon', and the handgun, whatever variety it might be, is a 'tool' in the hands of the 'weapon'..

If a light-frame 32 revolver is the one which she can handle and fire comfortably, so that she will feel good about doing enough practice, practice, and more practice, to become capable of using the weapon effectively should it ever be needed, and to have the 'muscle memory' developed to deploy the weapon, fire, and hit where intended, then that one is the practical, effective weapon for her.

Consistent practice, and the development of that 'muscle memory' is the real key to effective self-defence. It is extremely difficult to do that practice, and develop that 'muscle memory' with a handgun which 'doesn't fit' or is even slightly difficult to operate.

In a real 'self-defence' scenario, its probable, reasonably certain that the assailant will have the advantage of surprise. The only chance one has, once the decision is made that there is no realistic choice other than to present a weapon, is to have the 'muscle memory' to draw and present it without having to think about any of the steps in handling the weapon......a developed 'instinct', so to speak......

I can tell you from first-hand, practical experience, that making the decision to fire, or to refrain from firing, is a very, very grim and tough decision to make, under the stress of a situation, and there just isn't time for any other consideration......it really is a terrible emotional trauma, actually, 'adrenaline world' is not a nice place to be in.

A 1911A1 in 'condition one', or 'cocked and locked' is the optimal weapon for those who can handle it, but not everyone has the wrist strength to practice, practice, and practice, with the 1911A1.

There is quite a fad, these days, for any of quite a variety of 'spray and pray' 9mm semi-autos, which carry more rounds than do the 1911A1 and any revolver......many cycle reliably, some may not, particularly in an un-knowable potential situation in which one has no choice but to fire from a position in which something may be touching the slide enough to slow its cycling 'just enough' to cause a feed failure, or one is unable, for what ever reason, to have a sufficiently firm grip on the weapon to resist recoil. A possible example of this could be a situation in which one is diving for cover and is unable to get into a 'correct' shooting stance.

If one is likely to be in a situation where one may need to effectively engage in self-defence, survival depends far more on one's skill with a weapon, than the model of the weapon, assuming the weapon is adequately reliable.

A light 32 revolver, if it 'fits' the user, and the user is willing to invest the time in becoming 'excellent' in its use, is far more likely to be an effective self-defence weapon than is any larger handgun which feels 'clumsy' to the user, and with which the user does not develop the 'instinct' to draw and fire with reasonable accuracy.

If one is to make the choice to carry a weapon for self-defence, there is much to learn, about staying alive in an 'armed violence' scenario.

One example has to do with developing an 'instinctive' ability to 'read one's position' and identify potential threats, as the only real way to 'win' in a gun-fight is to find some way to avoid actually getting into the gun-fight in the first place.

Another bit of 'real world' training has to do with learning 'drop and roll' on a hard concrete surface, and, whilst doing so, draw and present the weapon.....this is not easy, but seeking cover or becoming a smaller, more difficult target, very rapidly, can make an important difference.

A light 32 revolver is a good choice for someone who is just starting out on the learning-curve. Upgrading to a 38/357, after one is well skilled with the 32, is reasonable, but starting with 'too much gun' is counter-productive.

If, however, one's 'assailant' is likely to be Mr Wild Boar, or Mr Mountain Lion, even the 1911A1 is barely adequate. Learning to handle the 41 or 44 mag takes a lot of time and practice........plenty of women can handle those, accurately, but it does take some serious devotion to practice to 'come up on the learning-curve'.

Selecting a self-defence handgun is one of the most terrible responsibilities one may ever have........if ever its really needed. Everyone I've known has tried carrying several varieties, at one time and another, as each has its advantages and disadvantages. Its a completely 'individual' thing, and it may take a while to find the optimal choice.

Added on edit, a 'real world' example:

In one of our San Jose 'second Saturday' newbies' events, a woman of a 'mature, but not elderly' age-group, and of what might be called a relatively 'delicate build' brought in a 9MM Glock pistol, explaining that she had made the decision to arm herself for self-defence, and had accepted a gun-store clerk's recommendation as to the best handgun to purchase.....the 9MM Glock.

She had practiced handling and dry-firing it until she felt that she was comfortable with it, and wanted some practical instruction in firing it. It jammed for her, but not for anyone else. Observation demonstrated that she did not have sufficient wrist strength to hold the Glock firmly enough against recoil for it to cycle reliably.

It is quite obvious, when considered, that many people, not only women, but some men as well, simply never have the occasion to develop hand/wrist musculature.......these are people who are quite capable in their own fields, being academics, artists, and in other fields, such as legal and secretarial work, in which hand/wrist strength is simply not a factor. (and this is not limited to women......quite a few men will have feed failures with the 1911A1, from 'limp-wristing' the pistol.)

Fortunately, this particular woman was able to learn about the practical reality of a semi-auto pistol, relative to her hand/wrist strength, in safe circumstances at the range, rather than in a real self-defence situation in which she would have one shot, and then a jammed handgun. I provided her with a Smith revolver in 38, using very light range loads, which she could handle, after a bit of familiarisation fire. Even the 38 was a little bit 'too much gun' for her, tho, so we brought her a light 22 revolver, to which she said, 'now, one like this is what I really need'.

The 'moral of the story' is that the gun-store clerk, apparently, 'just wanted to make a sale'. If he had taken a close look at that person's wrists, and asked about her experience with handguns, he should have known better than to sell her a 9MM. A practical handgun for that person might be a Smith or Colt DA revolver in 22 magnum, which she could handle, and could, at least, disable an assailant, or cause enough pain to take the assailant's mind off the crime he had in mind to commit. (a 22 mag, hollow-point, at close range, may not have the 'stopping power' of the 45ACP or the 357, but neither is it 'wimpy'.....try the 22 mag on various objects and substances at close range, I think you'd be impressed......I sure wouldn't want to be hit by one of those, anyway.)

Unlike hunting, in which one has an ethical responsibility to do a 'humane kill', it may not be necessary to actually kill a human assailant, to end the threat condition.

cheers

Carla

Last edited by Asphodel; 12-01-2013 at 7:53 AM.. Reason: added text
Old 12-01-2013, 7:09 AM

and once again our very own Carla nails it!
Quote: