Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 10-06-2013, 4:20 PM

Default TASC Long Range Precision Rifle Course

Today I just finished the TASC Long Range Precision Rifle course with Scott Olsen as instructor. Wanted to share my experience.

Used my relatively new Remington 700 (.308) with a Nightforce 3.5x-15x NXS. Leading up to the days of the course, Scott spoke with me at great length in the month prior, walked me through everything I would need, and also showed me step by step how to use the JBM ballistic software online to get a printout that we could use for my MOA adjustments. It was my first time using ballistic software and I hadn't the slightest clue, and now that I have done the course I would say I am comfortable taking readings from my Kestrel and being able to get a solution that is good. My charts for both days were spot on for both days up to 600 yards, and past that at most needed less than 1 MOA adjustment.

Prior to shooting on the first day, Scott took the time to check my torque settings on my rifle, as well as level of the optic. I had the optic professionally mounted at a local shop in Orange County that shall not be named, and was surprised to see that the torque settings were off and the mount as well as the clamps were loose.

My optic uses the NP-R1 reticle. We came to the determination over the two days that because this reticle has a very thin line, I was having a hard time with the zero when I was aiming at a very small target. The reticle gets blurry for me even after setting the optic's parallax and reticle focus, as Scott (a former Marine Scout Sniper) said even he had a hard time with the reticle. When I finally got behind his spotting scope, and I saw his mil dot reticle with big fat lines, it was extremely easy to focus on the reticle at 100. The interesting thing is however that I had no problems further out, it was only at the 100 yard line that the reticle becomes blurry to me.

For the first day I shot the Hornady Steel Match 308. Took a while to zero as described above, but once we did that we got to collecting data. We were at the Thompson Piru range, and oh my god was it windy. 35 mph gusts that sometimes would totally obscure the targets, and would bury us in sand at the line. Mr. Thompson told me to come back sometime with my clothes because he wanted his dirt back.

We had no problems out to the 600 yard mark with the Steel Match ammo. However, once we got to the 700 yard mark, there was a noticeable variation in my grouping. Being a first time long range shooter, I attributed this to my fundamentals, and we eventually got to the 800 yard mark. This mind you was further than I have ever fired a weapon before. I was all over the place. Scott suggested that because I was pretty solid in the sub 600 range, it might be the limit of the ammo. The steel casings don't expand in the chamber like brass does, and thus with a 155 gr bullet and a low muzzle velocity, it probably was more likely the ammo.

On the second day, I switched to the "good stuff," Hornady Superperformance match. A much higher muzzle velocity, with a heavier bullet at 178 gr, and a good ballistic coefficient. This stuff worked great. I was able to hit the 1000 yard target with a consistency that bloated my ego. The first time I have ever broken 1000 yards.

As far as the instruction goes, I would highly recommend Scott for any level of shooter. He is patient, easy going, and knows what the hell he is doing. More importantly, he will take the time to work with you up to the day of the shoot to make sure you not only understand everything, but will get the most out of training and will tailor the course to your desire. I would highly recommend anyone interested to contact him for training. http://www.stcrispian.com/Calendar.html

The best things in life are beyond money; their price is agony and sweat and devotion . . . and the price demanded for the most precious of all things in life is life itself--ultimate cost for perfect value. -R.A. Heinlein
Old 10-09-2013, 7:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Thank you for the write up.I plan on taking this course in the next few months after I have gotten familiar with my new rifle and scope. I took a class with Stan @ TASC and it was outstanding. I'll be going back to TASC for sure.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:20 AM

Nice write up! I am going to have to look into this