Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > O.C. Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2013, 2:01 PM

Default Which indoor range do you prefer

Hello all just really getting into firearms and I'm wondering what range everyone in Orange County prefers. I'm currently in anaheim hills and have visited the brea location but it was dirty even and some of the gun rentals for my wife were just disgusting. I did visit island view in Ventura last week and it was like a country club compared to some of the others.

Looking to shoot 556 223 40 22lr

Heard about on target is it pretty nice ?
Old 10-02-2013, 9:31 PM

Favorite right now is Field time in stanton
Old 10-02-2013, 9:36 PM

if you went all the way to ventura for indoor, take a field trip to oaktree gun club in newhall and experience the great outdoors! the only days i dont advise are mon/tue because LEOs hog the place.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:21 PM

i didnt goto ventura just to shoot, my line of work has me from sandiego to santa barbara.

lunch is spent taking some stress out on a paper target
Old 10-03-2013, 8:46 AM
CGN Contributor

I have a membership to On Target in Laguna Niguel, which admittedly just happens to be closest to where I live. But they allow you to shoot rifle calibers as long you take their insurance-mandated class. And they have no restrictions on steel-case ammo like most other ranges do.

DISCLAIMER: The information contained herein is general in nature, which may not apply to particular factual or legal circumstances, and is intended for informational purposes only. Consistent with Calguns policy, the information does not constitute legal advice or opinions and should not be relied upon as such. Transmission of the information is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Readers should not act upon any information in my posts without seeking professional counsel.
Old 10-03-2013, 9:07 AM
Veteran Member

We do have a monthly shoot at On Target in Laguna Niguel.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=830218

Might be a bit of a drive but we also have a monthly shoot at Burro Canyon. It's an outdoor range but we also do a potluck lunch there too and it's alot of fun. We even get some OC and IE people come to this event because it's that much fun.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...5#post12455405

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." - Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University
Old 10-03-2013, 10:25 PM

thanks for the info i think im going to try out on target seems alot of you guys are shooting there.
Old 10-04-2013, 6:30 AM

On Target is my favorite due to the lack of ammo restrictions. You should definitely come to the monthly shoot next Friday.
Old 10-07-2013, 7:23 PM

went to field time this weekend and was blown away !!! amazing place super clean and safety officers everywhere.

This is my new home !
Old 10-07-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zushikikato View Post
Agreed.
Old 10-08-2013, 2:54 PM

Well the only place I've been in OC since I returned to shooting is Evans in Orange. It's a small place and I'm sure it can get crowded at times. I usually go during the day on weekdays and get a lane easily. It happens to be close to my work so I get chances to sneak over there while "on break". Staff is friendly enough.
Old 10-08-2013, 3:15 PM
CGN Contributor

Evans, OC Indoor Range, or Iron Sights (Oceanside). Preference is Iron Sights. Make that drive any chance I get.
Old 10-11-2013, 9:21 AM

The F.A.S.T. O.C. staff has favored Evans in Orange (http://www.egsw.com) and Insight Range in Artesia (http://www.insightrangeinc.com/). Both are instructor friendly, and have awesome staff. Both have gun sales, and a equipment sales (equipment sales are more immediate need on the range products).

Evan's has also just made a wonderful update to their website, stop by and check it out. Kelly is really bringing this range up to snuff and making it a great place for shooters to gather.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:00 PM

Default Field Time and On Target get my vote

Shoot at On Target regularly and just went to Field Time in Stanton today and was blown away. New, spacious, bright and super awesome electronic programmable target pulley system. You know exactly how many yards your target is placed. Icing on the cake, everyone working there including the RO are super cool, friendly and helpful. People at On Target are pretty cool too BTW. I live right between the two ranges so am pretty stoked I have two pretty good choices.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:06 AM

Field Time in Stanton is awesome. Just be careful you go to Field Time Range, not their retail store a few miles south.
Old 10-16-2013, 9:18 PM

had another great day @ field time.

LOVE LOVE LOVE this place !!

i do think the membership is a little expensive tho
Old 10-17-2013, 7:20 PM

Quote:
I drive from Los Angeles to shoot at this range. It's the nicest indoor range I've been to, and the range ammo is not too pricey. Plus their website lets you know what range ammo they have in stock so you can make sure they have what you need before you drive down there.

http://www.fieldtimetargetandtraining.com/

You should check out Oak Tree one day - they have a pistol range with steel targets that's a lot of fun!

http://www.oaktreegunclub.com/
Old 10-23-2013, 8:42 AM

Default Field Time in Stanton is NEW NEW NEW

Quote:
BEST INDOOR RANGE SOUTH OF SACRAMENTO!

COST OVER $4 MILLION FOR THE RANGE ONLY, NOT INCLUDING THE BUILDING & LAND...
Old 10-29-2013, 9:34 PM

I've been really happy at On Target, but may have to check out Field Time.
I'll still be shooting at On Target, paid for the membership and closer to home.
Old 11-03-2013, 9:11 PM

I live in the middle of 3 ranges: Insight of Artesia, Field time of Stanton & Firing Line of Huntington Beach. I wanted to join a range & ended up joining Insight. It was middle priced for membership, but I liked the easy access right off the freeway, the relaxed/non uptight feel of the workers, sales of guns & ammo including pricing, cleanliness & size. I'm buying a gun from them, & they allow me to shoot the gun while guns in jail. You can pick up your brass, no problem. For $10, you can rent & shoot any gun they offer & change it up & they have a fairly good selection of range handguns.
Old 11-05-2013, 7:04 AM

Hey guys...first post. Found this OC section in the volunteer sticky...

New to ranges, close to me is OC INDOOR RANGE in Brea and EVAN'S SHOOTING WORLD in Orange. I have yet to visit either one, but wifey wants to learn to shoot and I want to get her through a basic firearms course. I have a Buckmark for her to learn on.

I'm picking up a new 1911 for myself next week and ordered in a few hundred rounds of steel-case ammo (cheap) and notice the comments above about ranges disallowing it. Do any of you know if this is an issue at any of these ranges? Sounds like maybe we should drive to Laguna Nigel or Stanton, huh? I plan to get new brass in the future and keep them for reloading. The 45's are a bit spendy for target!

Thanks and looking forward to some group shooting meet-ups and such.

Chris Brown
N. OC

EDIT: Update...stopped in at Evan's Gunsmithing and Indoor Range in Orange, met Kelly the owner, very nice lady, nice facility, great prices on factory reload ammo (cheaper than online) and not a soul in the place at 4:30 yesterday afternoon. No problem shooting steel case shells either, just no 'wolf' ammunition from Russia, she says they've had a couple of guns blow up - junk rounds. Anyway, we WILL be stopping there for some shooting. Oh, and lane fee is flat, good "til your arms fall off' is what she said.

I will be stopping into all of the local indoor ranges to check them out, will post up what I find. OC Indoor in Brea is next on my list.

Last edited by Browneye; 11-06-2013 at 6:22 AM..
Old 11-11-2013, 10:02 AM

Field Time in Stanton facilities are great and I like shooting there, staff is generally nice but being young ive had specific employees talk down to me on occasion. But I think that's more of a shooting community problem than a Field Time problem. Young shooters are often brushed off as mall ninjas haha it doesn't bother me though I'm always quick to let them know I don't appreciate their tone.
Old 11-16-2013, 1:39 PM

I haven't been to Field Time, but I hear mostly good things from my friends about that place so my wife and I will go some day.

We're a member of Insight though. $225 for individual or $325 for family up to 3 people. This includes 10% off ammo, targets, and rental of firearms. There's also no time limit here, not that I'm ever there for more than an hour. There's no attitude at Insight, even for people new to guns. Very nice staff there.

I've read that other people have experienced attitudes at Field Time, as Colt45Certified has mentioned. Specifically from an older gentleman there.

From the pictures of Field Time, I can tell it's nicer looking. I like the digital distance indicator. I hate having to lean over and look for the yard markings on the wall to get a general idea of my target distance at Insight
Old 11-16-2013, 5:58 PM

Went to Field Time for the first time this afternoon. WOW! Thoroughly impressed! It was a very nice, clean range. Plenty of helpful staff. Nice lounge with free coffee. It was kind of busy but it was a Saturday afternoon after all. We'll be back.
Old 11-16-2013, 6:12 PM

my wife and I have tried a few around us, but we end up at insight in Artesia.

Staff is always great, pretty clean and don't charge by the hour like some.
Old 11-16-2013, 6:23 PM

field time!
Old 11-16-2013, 7:20 PM

I've been going to Firing Line in HB forever, 30+ years along with being an annual member. Happened on Field Time in Stanton about 6 months ago. Driving by on Katella and saw the sign. Stopped in for a look around and was blown away. This place is NICE. Have to say that the membership pricing is pretty steep or I would have signed up on the spot. But putting in perspective and comparing it to Firing Line you can understand why it's priced the way it is. No disrespect to Firing Line, they have been doing it for a long time and it's a great value.

I am attending the monthly shoot for Calguns on the 19th. Plan on attending the classroom portion also.
Old 11-17-2013, 6:26 AM

My wife and I are members at Field Time. She prefers Field Time over Firing Line for reasons I will not go into here, but she feels more comfortable and that is good enough for me.
Nice and spacious with courteous staff whom are willing to help.
Old 11-17-2013, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefantone View Post
Went to Field Time for the first time this afternoon. WOW! Thoroughly impressed! It was a very nice, clean range. Plenty of helpful staff. Nice lounge with free coffee. It was kind of busy but it was a Saturday afternoon after all. We'll be back.

Wife and I stopped in there last week and were also favorably impressed. It's a very nice facility. We will be back to shoot.

Evans is also nice, just not fancy, and Kelly is doing a good job with it. She needs to keep the old timers there out of the way. They're nice enough, just crotchety LOL. They seem to cater to LE, a bunch from Tustin PD were there the last time I was there.

Last edited by Browneye; 11-17-2013 at 6:55 PM..
Old 01-29-2014, 7:58 PM
Veteran Member

I heard that Field Time range runs monthly competitions. Is it the third wed or Thurs of everymonth?

Any info would be appreciated.
Old 01-30-2014, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viet4lifeOC View Post
I heard that Field Time range runs monthly competitions. Is it the third wed or Thurs of everymonth?

Any info would be appreciated.
It's a Calguns group shoot at Field Time: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=793311

Fun times. Pizza. Poker shoot. $12 lane fee. Certified instructors available.
Old 01-30-2014, 7:42 PM

Field Time in Stanton. I actually like that they're "safety Nazis". If I'm going to be shooting next to people I don't know in close proximity I am happy to have the range officers hovering and making sure the idiots are being stupid.
I do believe that, where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence... I would rather have India resort to arms in order to defend her honour than that she should, in a cowardly manner, become or remain a helpless witness to her own dishonor. -- Mahatma Ghandi
Old 02-09-2014, 7:35 AM

If shooting my AR's I'll go to Field Time. But if I'm shooting my rimfire rifles and pistols then I like Insight. Laid back guys. Would be my go to if O could shoot my AR's.
Old 02-09-2014, 8:09 AM
Enjoying Freedom Everyday
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Field Time for sure. Got there yesterday at 11:30 and had to wait 45 mins for a lane. Great folks both behind the counter and RSOs.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty.
Suspect every one who approaches that jewel.
Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force.
Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined."
PATRICK HENRY

Old 02-24-2014, 2:01 PM

Field Time is my choice. Plus it doesn't hurt that it's less than a mile from my house.
Old 02-25-2014, 1:35 PM

I did frequent On Target, but their staff can be temperamental at times. Heck, I want to enjoy my range time not be bothered with an attitude. I think I'll give a few $ to Field Time and check them out.
Old 02-25-2014, 1:44 PM
Former cabinetguy
CGN Contributor

Evans in orange. I just did a few mag dumps with my new to me and in jail POF .308 there this afternoon, then again I am biased

Can’t somebody do something?!?!?!?!
Old 02-27-2014, 10:34 AM

I am a member of OnTarget range for the past 3 years and I have been shooting there since I was 7 years old and now I am 27 years old. I frequent there and most of the normal staff are on first name basis with me. They have rather stringent rules because of their location being so close to the 5 freeway and an affluent area but they are a close range where I can shoot every firearm I own within 25 yards. I do a lot of reload testing there a practice .22lr long gun as well with 50 yard reduced targets to 25 yards. If you follow their rules and practice safety, the range session is a rather pleasant experience.
Mossberg MVP 16.25" .308 / Maverick Model 88 Security 8-Shot 12ga / Hunter O/U 12ga
Sphinx SDP Black Line 9mm
Walther PPK Interarms .380
Beretta 950B Minx .22 Short
Old 02-28-2014, 12:10 AM

New here and would like to say although I live in orange county I have not had the pleasure of visiting Insight (many of my gun buddies love it there) or Field Time. I have been to The Firing Line and I must say will not be returning there and have been to The OC Shooting Range in Brea frequently.

Looking forward to checking those two out! Now if only I could find ammo...
Old 03-10-2014, 7:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by romadant View Post
Field Time in Stanton. I actually like that they're "safety Nazis". If I'm going to be shooting next to people I don't know in close proximity I am happy to have the range officers hovering and making sure the idiots aren't being stupid.
fixed that for ya,,,,,,,

Field Time is just like any other range IMO, until they know your not a moron you may be looked on as such solely based on your actions,,,,funny but I've been there 50-100 times and have had NO issues with a RSO,,,,,