Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Majik View Post
Just gonna still throw this out there, but transmissions, even during "SHTF" should not be transmitting without a license.

At minimum friends, family and neighbors should get their tech license if they want to call for help using ham.
So these radios have the capability to transmit? Just can't legally do so without a license? I was getting the impression these are like a scanner.

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2019, 12:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
If the S is really HTF, I don't think very many people would care. If it's a World War Z situation, even the FCC will have their hands full with more pressing matters.
Luckily, we won't have to worry about a World War Z situation with zombies roaming the earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droops View Post
So these radios have the capability to transmit? Just can't legally do so without a license? I was getting the impression these are like a scanner.

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk
They can both receive and transmit. If you're not licensed yet you can still pick one up to listen to. But if you're interested in transmitting I encourage you to study and get your license. It's easy to do.

Just wanted to make a quick comment earlier since people tend to prep with a ham radio for "just in case" use. Regardless of how dystopian the world gets, transmitting will require a ham license.

I just don't think it's wise to tell everyone to pick up a ham radio when people don't understand how it works on the most basic level.

Of course this is just my opinion and YMMV.
Old 08-20-2019, 1:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Just gonna still throw this out there, but transmissions, even during "SHTF" should not be transmitting without a license.

At minimum friends, family and neighbors should get their tech license if they want to call for help using ham.
You should know that the FCC grants a dispensation for ham use if an emergency exists and no other method of comms is possible it's OK to tx. FCC dogmatic law.

FCC could call the offending un-papered user's mom and report the abuse. Or the oh so friendly local ham club could "fox hunt" the abusers position and report it to the FCC and call their mom for enforcement.
FCC could fine the abuser, take ham gear and write a stern rebuke to the offender.
Bottom line is that the enforcement arm of the FCC are the same guys that are telling us to get the licenses.
Be polite. Stay off the repeaters. Stay off the emergency channels and tx for emergency only.
That about right?

Sent using a long string and 2 used soup cans
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --

Last edited by FeuerFrei; 08-20-2019 at 2:05 PM..
Old 08-20-2019, 5:14 PM

I decided to pick up the "BaoFeng UV-5R 8 Watt High Power VHF UHF Dual Band Two Way Radio Tri-Power 8/4/1W Portable Ham Radio with one More 1800mAh Battery,Speaker, Antenna, USB Program Cable and Earpiece" for $40.

Liked the 8W with one large and one small battery.
Old 08-20-2019, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
That about right?
Yep.
Old 08-21-2019, 1:02 AM

Anyone having trouble programming these radios. I spent the last three hours just trying to install chirp and it will NOT install on any version of Windows as of ten minutes ago. I tried installing on Windows 7 and 10 and it will not install. I went to the chirp homepage and Miklor to download and install...will not work...am about to use these as target practice....no not really.
But in all seriousness, anyone having trouble with it. I have uninstalled, installed, uninstalled many times over...no dice.
In fact, it even crashed my Dell laptop running Windows 10.

Last edited by giaking70; 08-21-2019 at 1:05 AM..
Old 08-21-2019, 5:52 AM

I installed chirp on windows 7 pro and programmed a couple radios in all of 12 min. Worked flawlessly. Not sure whats wrong with your install but once you get it sorted out, it will go quick. Good luck!
Old 08-21-2019, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa Defense View Post
I installed chirp on windows 7 pro and programmed a couple radios in all of 12 min. Worked flawlessly. Not sure whats wrong with your install but once you get it sorted out, it will go quick. Good luck!

Yeah, I honestly don't know what's wrong, I can't understand why it will download but not install. Like I said, I tried for hours and nothing was doing. I checked online forums to see if anyone had issues and it looks like I am doing everything correctly...just wont install. I wont be home til later tonight as I will try to uninstall and reinstall my web browser, maybe that will work. Does it matter what browser you use, I am currently using Firefox but does Chrome or Internet Explorer have anything to do with installing....just wondering.
Old 08-21-2019, 3:24 PM

Drop your money on a Yaesu FT3DR dang near the full package

"Cross your feet! Kneel down! Stand up! Crawl! Right hand in! Left foot out! You're a little teapot! YOU'RE A LITTLE TEAPOT!"
Old 08-22-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giaking70 View Post
Yeah, I honestly don't know what's wrong, I can't understand why it will download but not install. Like I said, I tried for hours and nothing was doing. I checked online forums to see if anyone had issues and it looks like I am doing everything correctly...just wont install. I wont be home til later tonight as I will try to uninstall and reinstall my web browser, maybe that will work. Does it matter what browser you use, I am currently using Firefox but does Chrome or Internet Explorer have anything to do with installing....just wondering.
Are you downloading the .exe file marked in green? That is the windows version you should be using.
https://trac.chirp.danplanet.com/chirp_daily/LATEST/
Old 08-22-2019, 2:14 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Late to the party here... is there a cliff notes version of why I need these?

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 08-23-2019, 7:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
Late to the party here... is there a cliff notes version of why I need these?
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1551556
Old 08-23-2019, 7:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Great now I need to go buy some for unknow reasons

Thanks guys

“Silence makes cowards out of the best of men” –Abraham Lincoln

🇺🇸 ⚔️ 🦅

Wounded Knee is the prime example of why the Second Amendment exists, and why we shouldn’t be in such a hurry to surrender our Right to Bear Arms.
Without the Second Amendment we have no way to defend ourselves and our families.
Old 08-24-2019, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
You should know that the FCC grants a dispensation for ham use if an emergency exists and no other method of comms is possible it's OK to tx. FCC dogmatic law.

FCC could call the offending un-papered user's mom and report the abuse. Or the oh so friendly local ham club could "fox hunt" the abusers position and report it to the FCC and call their mom for enforcement.
FCC could fine the abuser, take ham gear and write a stern rebuke to the offender.
Bottom line is that the enforcement arm of the FCC are the same guys that are telling us to get the licenses.
Be polite. Stay off the repeaters. Stay off the emergency channels and tx for emergency only.
That about right?

Sent using a long string and 2 used soup cans
Yup. Those wanna-be rule enforcers are everywhere, incl. this forum. They believe they can tell you what's right and what's wrong with an attitude. When you slap them back, they flag you. It makes them feel so good.
Back to the point, the HAM test "designed to pass" has one purpose only. No, it's not about educating you (it's "designed to pass" right?). It's only to collect your personal info and pass it to the government. The only reason government collect your personal info is to punish you when the time comes. Make no mistake, it's the only reason for any registration process.

Do I want to be "registered"? ****, no.

Again, back to the point.
Baofeng FH-UV9r Plus is heavy promoted now. Its best feature is 4600mah Li-Ion battery, with (questionable) 8W TX on high. It's waaaaay better than 2100/1800 NiMh they used in other popular versions.
Well, the problem is that model is not on the official Baofeng web-site. Other than that, it looks slick

Last edited by riderr; 08-24-2019 at 1:29 PM..
Old 08-24-2019, 1:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Just wanted to make a quick comment earlier since people tend to prep with a ham radio for "just in case" use. Regardless of how dystopian the world gets, transmitting will require a ham license.

I just don't think it's wise to tell everyone to pick up a ham radio when people don't understand how it works on the most basic level.

Of course this is just my opinion and YMMV.
Of course, only the entitled members of the society who passed the "passable" test know how to push a walkie-talkie button. It's a sacred knowledge.
Old 08-24-2019, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickrock1 View Post
Great now I need to go buy some for unknow reasons

Thanks guys

Not at all. A California work-around is in the works. You can always buy the new California version -- until the next go round.
Old 08-24-2019, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giaking70 View Post
Anyone having trouble programming these radios. I spent the last three hours just trying to install chirp and it will NOT install on any version of Windows as of ten minutes ago. I tried installing on Windows 7 and 10 and it will not install. I went to the chirp homepage and Miklor to download and install...will not work...am about to use these as target practice....no not really.
But in all seriousness, anyone having trouble with it. I have uninstalled, installed, uninstalled many times over...no dice.
In fact, it even crashed my Dell laptop running Windows 10.
which ones did you get?
Old 08-24-2019, 5:03 PM
Veteran Member

I got these two
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ECCB3AA6-BB1C-42E0-BC1F-6F05D90BED26.jpg (20.2 KB, 84 views)
Old 08-24-2019, 7:24 PM

So I've read several posts about these radios and I've been tempted to buy some, but just can't understand the sense of urgency. From everything that I've read, the main reason these are going to be banned is because they are crappy and bleed over into other frequencies while transmitting. Am I correct in that assessment?

I would like to have some emergency communication equipment, but I would rather spend more money (within reason) and have something quality. After the ban, are there going to be other radios available, or are they banning the use or monitoring of certain frequencies? Will the new ones be limited on power? What is the bottom line reason I should buy now? If I need to buy something now, what are better options? From what I understand, most of them under the Baofeng name are really knock-offs. Is this correct?
Old 08-24-2019, 7:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

so out of the box these devices do not operate on the reserved freqs and you have to activate them with a type of bios update?

i can see them being banned just because they can operate on the frs at a higher power than is allowed which were intended to be a 2 mile max handy-talky for families but in my experience it seems to be mostly used (possibly illegaly) commercially by lifeguards and warehouse workers

wait just read the wiki and it seems they (fcc) want to just make frs and gmrs separate again

Last edited by bohoki; 08-24-2019 at 8:12 PM..
Old 08-25-2019, 5:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyhog View Post
So I've read several posts about these radios and I've been tempted to buy some, but just can't understand the sense of urgency. From everything that I've read, the main reason these are going to be banned is because they are crappy and bleed over into other frequencies while transmitting. Am I correct in that assessment?

I would like to have some emergency communication equipment, but I would rather spend more money (within reason) and have something quality. After the ban, are there going to be other radios available, or are they banning the use or monitoring of certain frequencies? Will the new ones be limited on power? What is the bottom line reason I should buy now? If I need to buy something now, what are better options? From what I understand, most of them under the Baofeng name are really knock-offs. Is this correct?
The main reason FCC is going to ban it that it's an affordable portable walkie-talkie that can transmit outside of HAM bands, available for civilians.
Every other reason they bring up is just an excuse for their actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post
so out of the box these devices do not operate on the reserved freqs and you have to activate them with a type of bios update?
Not sure what you call the reserved bands, but out of the box you can transmit in 136- 174 MHz and 400-480 MHz, also 220-226mHz in uv-5x3 model
Old 08-25-2019, 6:52 PM

Which Make and Model do most recommend ? Thanks in advance
Old 08-26-2019, 9:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Ono View Post
Which Make and Model do most recommend ? Thanks in advance
If you choose Baofeng, here is the comp chart for you
https://baofengtech.com/pdf/CompareChart.pdf
Do you need 3 band or 2 band? 5W or 8W. Battery capacity? Etc...

Check the options you like, available offers from reputable sellers and make your own decision.

Upd: Do you really need it? That's probably the most important question

Last edited by riderr; 08-26-2019 at 9:04 AM..
Old 08-26-2019, 1:20 PM

how about staying legal, license free, and little airwave competition with the BTECH MURS V1?

https://www.amazon.com/BTECH-MURS-V1...C7F9EI2&sr=8-1
Old 08-26-2019, 1:58 PM

Default 1st one arrived!

Whoopee! Does Calguns have a radio sub-group?
Old 08-26-2019, 3:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwanghoops View Post
how about staying legal, license free, and little airwave competition with the BTECH MURS V1?

https://www.amazon.com/BTECH-MURS-V1...C7F9EI2&sr=8-1
5 channels, 2W max. Unless you are on a hilltop, it won't get your signal far away. Still a good option for a close range comm.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjerr View Post
Just received this at my doorstep today....one week after ordering. Amazon's estimated delivery wasn't til 9/10-10/1. The included MIC's speaker was rattling loose, so I took it apart and snapped it into place properly. Time to do some reading.

Is there a guide to the most recommended channels to install?
Old 08-27-2019, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Just received this at my doorstep today....one week after ordering. Amazon's estimated delivery wasn't til 9/10-10/1. The included MIC's speaker was rattling loose, so I took it apart and snapped it into place properly. Time to do some reading.

Is there a guide to the most recommended channels to install?
https://radiofreeq.wordpress.com/201...ther-business/

http://www.miklor.com/
Old 08-28-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLBC View Post
which ones did you get?

I have the UV-5R and the BF-8TP...
Old 08-29-2019, 8:37 AM

Quote:
The large capacity 3800mAh battery that came with this package won't click into place. Looks like it is missing the two indentations that match the bottom of the radio. I am in talks with the seller to see if they will remedy before I attempt any mods. Battery for the UV5R8W is on the right in this picture.

Meanwhile I bought a separate two-pack of UV5XP radios for $60 (how do I get suckered into shopping when the word "ban" comes into play???) that came with 3000mAh batteries. Those batteries have the indentation, but there are other minor differences that prevent me from switching batteries between the two radio types I bought.

Is it known that batteries labeled as BL5 may not be interchangeable?
Old 08-29-2019, 1:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Meanwhile I bought a separate two-pack of UV5XP radios for $60 (how do I get suckered into shopping when the word "ban" comes into play???) that came with 3000mAh batteries. Those batteries have the indentation, but there are other minor differences that prevent me from switching batteries between the two radio types I bought.

Is it known that batteries labeled as BL5 may not be interchangeable?
The UV5R and the UV5RA cannot change batteries. Different styles. You will need to mod to make it work.
Old 08-29-2019, 1:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderr View Post

Again, back to the point.
Baofeng FH-UV9r Plus is heavy promoted now. Its best feature is 4600mah Li-Ion battery, with (questionable) 8W TX on high. It's waaaaay better than 2100/1800 NiMh they used in other popular versions.
Well, the problem is that model is not on the official Baofeng web-site. Other than that, it looks slick

Because it is not a real Baofeng and are knocks-offs. Baofeng never produced a UV9R(+).
Old 08-29-2019, 2:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarBoyNux View Post
Because it is not a real Baofeng and are knocks-offs. Baofeng never produced a UV9R(+).
Yup. That's what I thought.
Old 08-29-2019, 6:45 PM

Been tempted to get one and get my license.

For a new guy, which Baofeng do you recommend? Would the UV82 suffice?
Old 08-29-2019, 6:52 PM

Default Agreed, we need a new sub group. Ham Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtlaw View Post
Whoopee! Does Calguns have a radio sub-group?
Agreed, we need a new sub group. Can the Librarian help?
Old 08-29-2019, 7:17 PM

How much longer will these be available? I don't see any sellers advertising "last day to buy", or "get it while you can."
Old 08-29-2019, 7:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVGUY View Post
Agreed, we need a new sub group. Can the Librarian help?
There is a ham operator sub forum sticky:Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
***Official list of Amateur "HAM" Radio Operators and info***

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...d.php?t=202581

Be prepared for situational helpfulness.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 09-09-2019, 9:08 AM
Veteran Member

Here's a torture test of a UV5 Baofeng for sheets and giggles... ~4min video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZCDBsBuhmg
-- Frederick Douglass --

– Frederick Douglass --
Old 09-10-2019, 8:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

^^ Impressive.
Recommended accessories to go with the radio??
Old 09-10-2019, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBShooter View Post
^^ Impressive.
Recommended accessories to go with the radio??
Add a Nagoya NA-771 antenna. I consider it a necessary item for best performance.
Add an extended power batt, external speaker/mic and programming cable.
Everything covered in detail ---> https://www.miklor.com/
All things Baofeng radio related includes UV-5 models

https://www.amazon.com/Authentic-NA-...gateway&sr=8-6
-- Frederick Douglass --

– Frederick Douglass --