Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 03-13-2011, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrchops View Post
Well a legal update is out from the law offices of Mastagni, Holstedt, Amick, Miller & Johnson Law firm! Retired LEO's who legally purchased thier assault rifles in compliance with state law get to keep the rifles in thier present condition after retirement!

I don't know how to insert a saved document here or I would include the letter that just came out!
Great. I didn't want to have to figure out if this was an ex post facto law. I can barely spell it.
Old 03-14-2011, 6:19 PM
Veteran Member

Writing an opinion from a law firm is great but the issue is not ripe for adjudication. You have to have a controversy first.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:15 AM
Banned

Bottom line is the AG's opinion is not law. When or if it becomes law, then anyone from that point on will have to comply. It cannot legally be retroactive. The guns are legally purchased and legally registered.

That would be the same as making a law that all pre ban assault rifles legally registered within the law, must be turned in to the government! Can't happen. Unconstitutional for the government to seize your legally owned property.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrchops View Post
Bottom line is the AG's opinion is not law. When or if it becomes law, then anyone from that point on will have to comply. It cannot legally be retroactive. The guns are legally purchased and legally registered.

That would be the same as making a law that all pre ban assault rifles legally registered within the law, must be turned in to the government! Can't happen. Unconstitutional for the government to seize your legally owned property.
Caveat: Unconstitutional without DUE PROCESS. 5th Amendment protection of due process against government takings. The government can, and has, seized private property, it just needs to give you due process.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:49 AM
Calguns Addict

People who are no longer employed as peace officers should get no more quarter than any other retiree or citizen for that matter.

Honestly, active LEOs should not get any more perks than the rest of us off duty. If your department needs you to have an assault weapon, let them issue you one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
Ignorance of the law is no excuse……..except for police.
Old 03-16-2011, 1:10 AM

I never understood why cops always asked me why I felt the need to carry a gun and yet they always carry off duty as well. How naked some feel when they go out without their firearm, and yet still wish to deny law abiding citizens the same rights.
If this goes anywhere they will get a taste of what everyday people have to go through.
Old 03-16-2011, 1:14 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Pluribus Unum View Post
People who are no longer employed as peace officers should get no more quarter than any other retiree or citizen for that matter.

Honestly, active LEOs should not get any more perks than the rest of us off duty. If your department needs you to have an assault weapon, let them issue you one.
Retirees get retiree benefits. Ours are just different than yours. If my department allows me to have a weapon that I need but can't afford it issue it and then gives me the choice to buy one, I will buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmustanguyx View Post
I never understood why cops always asked me why I felt the need to carry a gun and yet they always carry off duty as well. How naked some feel when they go out without their firearm, and yet still wish to deny law abiding citizens the same rights.
If this goes anywhere they will get a taste of what everyday people have to go through.
How many cops out of the 25,000+ cops in the SoCal area asked you that question? 1? 2? Was it everytime? Was it once? Get the picture?